MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 12:05 AM   #61
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
so you would rather them drink real blood, and eat real flesh? im failing to see your point.
pagans used food and alcohol during their worshiping

christians used the story of the last supper, to form a tradition that pagans would be used to.

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I got nothing for Christmas. eltejano Off Topic 28 12-26-2010 05:27 PM
Merry Christmas to all from RideSmart - Merry Christmas 2008 contest! Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 11 01-25-2009 09:54 PM
Its really Christmas now! bioGuru Off Topic 13 12-25-2008 07:37 AM
Iiittttttttsssssssssss Christmas Grinchy Off Topic 6 12-24-2008 11:07 AM
what are you getting your SO for christmas? chasee69 Off Topic 76 12-19-2007 09:03 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2007, 12:37 AM   #62
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmckee View Post
pagans used food and alcohol during their worshiping

christians used the story of the last supper, to form a tradition that pagans would be used to.
and you base that on what exactly? a simple similarity? or some kind of historical documentation? please elaborate.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:41 AM   #63
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

a tradition told only to pagans until it became popular

the tv told me so i believe it

oh and truly studying many religions, not being "told" what other religion's believe by my religions leaders

where is mckee?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:58 AM   #64
Azylum
The Chosen One

well, if the TV said so!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 01:00 AM   #65
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

yup animal channel has yet to fail me

where is mckee?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 AM   #66
Azylum
The Chosen One

oh you graduated from cartoon network? sweet!
Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 AM   #67
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
oh you graduated from cartoon network? sweet!
yup full doctorate, masters of food network, and ethics degree from cnn

where is mckee?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:07 AM   #68
Azylum
The Chosen One

CNN....boooooooooooooo! what the is this educational !
Old 11-27-2007, 01:09 AM   #69
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
CNN....boooooooooooooo! what the is this educational !
well like most colleges there has to be liberal

where is mckee?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:10 AM   #70
Azylum
The Chosen One

this is true, this is true.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #71
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

To all those people that criticize this thread, do take note that it is 4 pages long and has had a lot of information in it. People have taken the time to research and discuss the whole topic. You are right, it is a usless thread. I don't study the bible like I'm supposed to anymore, and this just gives me reason to look things up. As for the other people in here also. Not only do I get to express my feelings on it, I get to hear the opinions and feelings of other Christians like me. Even ones that don't 100% agree with me. Also, I get to hear the opinions of non-believers and they have been so kind as to show structure behind why they feel they do.

Quote:
This is yet another retarded thread.
I don't care if your Christian or not. Christmas has very little to do with Christ's birthday anymore. Nor, did it when it was winter festivus long before christ.

Christians used pagan holidays, and some of there customs so it would be easier to convert them.

As they used food and alcohol to lure them as well, drinking wine for blood, and eating bread for body.
If you think it is a retarded thread, why have you even made an effort to include yourself in the discussion? I don't mind you showing your opinion, but it must not be retarded if you are putting your 2 cents in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
I like to see where it says halloween is a christian holiday
I'm being lazy with this reply and will just show you what wikipedia says. If you look up Halloween, you will find it is the Eve of All Hallows Day. Here is what it says about All Hollows Day, aka All Saints Day.

All Saints' Day, All Hallows, Hallowmas ("hallows" meaning "saints," and "mas" meaning "Mass"), is a feast celebrated on November 1 or on the first Sunday after Pentecost in honour of all the saints, known and unknown. Halloween is the day preceding it, and is so named because it is "The Eve of All Hallows". All Saints is also a Catholic formula invoking all the faithful saints and martyrs, known or unknown. In terms of Catholic theology, the feast remembers all those who have attained the beatific vision in heaven, while the next day, All Souls' Day, commemorates the departed faithful who have not yet been purified and reached heaven.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 AM   #72
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
To all those people that criticize this thread, do take note that it is 4 pages long and has had a lot of information in it. People have taken the time to research and discuss the whole topic. You are right, it is a usless thread. I don't study the bible like I'm supposed to anymore, and this just gives me reason to look things up. As for the other people in here also. Not only do I get to express my feelings on it, I get to hear the opinions and feelings of other Christians like me. Even ones that don't 100% agree with me. Also, I get to hear the opinions of non-believers and they have been so kind as to show structure behind why they feel they do.

If you think it is a retarded thread, why have you even made an effort to include yourself in the discussion? I don't mind you showing your opinion, but it must not be retarded if you are putting your 2 cents in.

I'm being lazy with this reply and will just show you what wikipedia says. If you look up Halloween, you will find it is the Eve of All Hallows Day. Here is what it says about All Hollows Day, aka All Saints Day.

All Saints' Day, All Hallows, Hallowmas ("hallows" meaning "saints," and "mas" meaning "Mass"), is a feast celebrated on November 1 or on the first Sunday after Pentecost in honour of all the saints, known and unknown. Halloween is the day preceding it, and is so named because it is "The Eve of All Hallows". All Saints is also a Catholic formula invoking all the faithful saints and martyrs, known or unknown. In terms of Catholic theology, the feast remembers all those who have attained the beatific vision in heaven, while the next day, All Souls' Day, commemorates the departed faithful who have not yet been purified and reached heaven.

that's cute...nice you also left out the preceding paragraph to the wikipedia definition. which states

History

The modern holiday of Halloween may have its origins in the ancient Gaelic festival known as Samhain (pronounced /ˈsˠaunʲ/ from the Old Irish samain). The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture, and is sometimes erroneously[2] regarded as the "Celtic New Year".[3] Traditionally, the festival was a time used by the ancient pagans to take stock of supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores. The ancient Gaels believed that on October 31, the boundaries between the worlds of the living and the dead overlapped and the deceased would come back to life and cause havoc such as sickness or damaged crops. The festivals would frequently involve bonfires, where the bones of slaughtered livestock were thrown. Costumes and masks were also worn at the festivals in an attempt to mimic the evil spirits or placate them.[4][5] When the Romans occupied Celtic territory, several Roman traditions were also incorporated into the festivals. Feralia, a day celebrated in late October by the Romans for the passing of the dead as well as a festival which celebrated the Roman Goddess Pomona, the goddess of fruit were incorporated into the celebrations. The symbol of Pomona was an apple, which is a proposed origin for the tradition of bobbing for apples on Halloween.[6]
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 AM   #73
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:

My choice of using retarded probably wasn't right. Nor did I explain myself.

Your initial post is good, I'm always up for debates. But, people on both sides put of these "imaginary walls" that block everything they don't want to hear. That is why it is retarded.

where is mckee?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #74
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

once again...christian religion absorbed pagan traditions to make conversion easier.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #75
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
that's cute...nice you also left out the preceding paragraph to the wikipedia definition. which states

History

The modern holiday of Halloween may have its origins in the ancient Gaelic festival known as Samhain (pronounced /ˈsˠaunʲ/ from the Old Irish samain). The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture, and is sometimes erroneously[2] regarded as the "Celtic New Year".[3] Traditionally, the festival was a time used by the ancient pagans to take stock of supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores. The ancient Gaels believed that on October 31, the boundaries between the worlds of the living and the dead overlapped and the deceased would come back to life and cause havoc such as sickness or damaged crops. The festivals would frequently involve bonfires, where the bones of slaughtered livestock were thrown. Costumes and masks were also worn at the festivals in an attempt to mimic the evil spirits or placate them.[4][5] When the Romans occupied Celtic territory, several Roman traditions were also incorporated into the festivals. Feralia, a day celebrated in late October by the Romans for the passing of the dead as well as a festival which celebrated the Roman Goddess Pomona, the goddess of fruit were incorporated into the celebrations. The symbol of Pomona was an apple, which is a proposed origin for the tradition of bobbing for apples on Halloween.[6]
my point exactly, thanks wd

where is mckee?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #76
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Bike(s):
2007 CBR 1000 RR *** SOLD ***

I do celebrate Christmas but .... wait Im not aethiest either...
Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 AM   #77
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

Your initial post is good, I'm always up for debates. But, people on both sides put of these "imaginary walls" that block everything they don't want to hear. That is why it is retarded.

well said I am very open..I was raised christian. Then after the whole end of the world thing at the turn of the century that my parents kept insisting would happen. I got turned off. I started looking at other religions...I have looked at a few so far and I would like to look at several more in my time. I can say I am open minded...I just point out the facts of religious origins. Not debating on one verses another just trying to get people to make a more compelling argument for their religion. On a side note there is no compelling arguement for one over another...they all are off shoots from one or another.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:27 AM   #78
Stacy
One day at a time!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
99 Ninja 250
04 Honda f4i

Quote:

Ummm actually you need to dig a littttle bit further to unveil the entire story...:/:

"Halloween's origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in).
The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom, and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1. This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31, they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter.
To commemorate the event, Druids built huge sacred bonfires, where the people gathered to burn crops and animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities.
During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, typically consisting of animal heads and skins, and attempted to tell each other's fortunes. When the celebration was over, they re-lit their hearth fires, which they had extinguished earlier that evening, from the sacred bonfire to help protect them during the coming winter.
By A.D. 43, Romans had conquered the majority of Celtic territory. In the course of the four hundred years that they ruled the Celtic lands, two festivals of Roman origin were combined with the traditional Celtic celebration of Samhain.
The first was Feralia, a day in late October when the Romans traditionally commemorated the passing of the dead. The second was a day to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The symbol of Pomona is the apple and the incorporation of this celebration into Samhain probably explains the tradition of "bobbing" for apples that is practiced today on Halloween.
By the 800s, the influence of Christianity had spread into Celtic lands. In the seventh century, Pope Boniface IV designated November 1 All Saints' Day, a time to honor saints and martyrs. It is widely believed today that the pope was attempting to replace the Celtic festival of the dead with a related, but church-sanctioned holiday. The celebration was also called All-hallows or All-hallowmas (from Middle English Alholowmesse meaning All Saints' Day) and the night before it, the night of Samhain, began to be called All-hallows Eve and, eventually, Halloween. Even later, in A.D. 1000, the church would make November 2 All Souls' Day, a day to honor the dead. It was celebrated similarly to Samhain, with big bonfires, parades, and dressing up in costumes as saints, angels, and devils. Together, the three celebrations, the eve of All Saints', All Saints', and All Souls', were called Hallowmas."

here's the link http://www.history.com/minisite.do?c...1&mini_id=1076
Old 11-27-2007, 08:27 AM   #79
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
well said I am very open..I was raised christian. Then after the whole end of the world thing at the turn of the century that my parents kept insisting would happen. I got turned off. I started looking at other religions...I have looked at a few so far and I would like to look at several more in my time. I can say I am open minded...I just point out the facts of religious origins. Not debating on one verses another just trying to get people to make a more compelling argument for their religion. On a side note there is no compelling arguement for one over another...they all are off shoots from one or another.

where is mckee?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:30 AM   #80
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:

History

Remember, it isn't fact. It may have. Which also goes back to the fact that we use FAITH. There are a lot of traditions that the Pagans could have gotten from before their time. But nonetheless, Halloween still IS a Christian Holiday which you doubted. Where they got it from is a different debate. I can't prove that they did or didn't get it from Pagans. It has been written that it could have been, or may have been. Doesn't make it fact.

Quote:

I feel ya on that. I don't want to hear that Christianity is false. I don't want to believe that may not exist. Of course I don't. I can't prove that Christian Holidays weren't taken from the Pagans to help convert. I know what I feel, and I will continue to feel until it is proven to me that Christianity is wrong. Which I don't think anyone here can do. Lol, unless someone goes on a killing spree, then I can find out real fast. I don't mind hearing the similarities to Pagan traditions, that may be tied together. It is all a matter of opinion for you on which you believe.

Quote:
once again...christian religion absorbed pagan traditions to make conversion easier.
Again, an opinion. Not fact. Were you around in Pagan times? And have you seen the documents from Pagan times that prove these were traditions? Or could this be something (as which has been said about the scrolls and bible) that was created by someone who wanted to convert people away from Christianity?
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement