MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #41
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRocket View Post
sigh! there is more to the catholic religion than you'll ever find on the internet.

Not really.

Most of my family is/was catholic.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I got nothing for Christmas. eltejano Off Topic 28 12-26-2010 05:27 PM
Merry Christmas to all from RideSmart - Merry Christmas 2008 contest! Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 11 01-25-2009 09:54 PM
Its really Christmas now! bioGuru Off Topic 13 12-25-2008 07:37 AM
Iiittttttttsssssssssss Christmas Grinchy Off Topic 6 12-24-2008 11:07 AM
what are you getting your SO for christmas? chasee69 Off Topic 76 12-19-2007 09:03 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #42
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Another wonderful thread that lacks sustenance.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #43
JoeRocket
Sensei

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
06 1000RR SOLD
RM 250
KX 125
XR 70
JS 440 Stand Up Jets Ski

all i can say is if you really want to get to the bottom of things and find out the truth, do your research and question all sides and angles. will lead you in the right direction. If your looking for an argument you won't get it from me, I find it pointless to argue with ppl about religion that don't really want to know the truth they just want to argue their point.
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 PM   #44
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
all i can say is if you really want to get to the bottom of things and find out the truth, do your research and question all sides and angles. will lead you in the right direction. If your looking for an argument you won't get it from me, I find it pointless to argue with ppl about religion that don't really want to know the truth they just want to argue their point.
uh, I don't think you can "find out the truth" exactly. That's why it's called faith, because of the belief in something without the support of proof.

If there was an identifiable truth religion wouldn't require faith, it would just be fact.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #45
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

once again the one religion conversation killer...where did all the people go when they died BEFORE christianity?
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #46
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years

they went to valhala, DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:02 PM   #47
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
they went to valhala, DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH!
lol
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:27 PM   #48
firegirlqn

Bike(s):
None, But come January......

Send a message via AIM to firegirlqn Send a message via Yahoo to firegirlqn
We celebrate Christmukkah. It's a fun holiday, a little bit of everything all rolled into one. We try not to make it too religious.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:34 PM   #49
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegirlqn View Post
We celebrate Christmukkah. It's a fun holiday, a little bit of everything all rolled into one. We try not to make it too religious.
Now that is cute!!!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:35 PM   #50
firegirlqn

Bike(s):
None, But come January......

Send a message via AIM to firegirlqn Send a message via Yahoo to firegirlqn
thanx!!! It all about the kids having fun and getting spoiled.... Everything else is BLAH!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #51
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC View Post
notably the Christmas Tree (which originated in Germany ....

Oh Tannenbaum, Oh Tannenbaum, wie treu sind Deine Blätter!
Du grünst nicht nur zur Sommerzeit, nein auch im Winter wenn es schneit.
Oh Tannenbaum, Oh Tannenbaum, wie treu sind Deine Blätter!

Old 11-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #52
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Send a message via MSN to TxBritt08R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
once again the one religion conversation killer...where did all the people go when they died BEFORE christianity?
Using scripture, one can easily answer that question. Having said that, I'll not entertain challenges to the validity of scripture, for as I see it - its the Word of , and is infallible.

Old testament people were saved by believing in the coming of Messiah. They had the scriptures, and understood the prophecies concerning Christ. By faith they accepted what was going to do.

Romans 4:1-8 tells us that...

1What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?

2For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before .

3For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed , and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

4Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

5But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

6Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom imputeth righteousness without works,

7Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven and whose sins are covered.

8Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

We're told here that Abraham and David weren't saved by works ( keeping the law, sacrifices, etc.. ) but by Faith in and the coming of Messiah.

John 5:42-47 quotes Jesus here saying...

42But I know you, that ye have not the love of in you.

43I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

44How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from only?

45Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.

46For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.

47But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Moses knew exactly who Jesus was, and what he was coming to do.

Yet another application from Abraham

Galatians 5
6Even as Abraham believed , and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

7Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

8And the scripture, foreseeing that would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

9So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of , it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Salvation then, as now, does not come by works - but Faith alone. has no timeline. The saving power of Jesus Christ was just as active before his actual physical birth ( which they were waiting for ) as it is today. If a person in that time period were relying on their own "good works", then just like today, they're lost.

I hope this answered your question.

Britt
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
TxBritt08R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #53
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Send a message via MSN to TxBritt08R1
In regards to the OP's question. We don't have a tree, or decorations, or play santa claus because my children understand what Christmas is about - The birth of our Lord Jesus Christ. We exchange gifts between ourselves, but we're not extravagant about it - its just nice to be able to give my children something and to see them smile.

As far as the date, or the pagan traditions behind those dates - who cares? I'm in it for Christ. No, I agree with others - I don't think Christ was born on 12/25 - but again, I don't think the date matters anyhow. IN regards to Easter, If the druids danced around a fire and painted eggs and worshipped a huge rabbit - then thats their business. I celebrate what we refer as "Resurrection Day" Because its the day Christ triumphed over death. Do we hunt eggs? No. Do we give candy to the kids, yep - we sure do. They're firmly grounded in the truth, and know why we're celebrating the day. Do I know if that is the exact day that Christ rose from the grave? Nope, but I'm sure its close enough.

Britt
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
TxBritt08R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:14 PM   #54
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Trackdays: 10+

This is yet another retarded thread.
I don't care if your Christian or not. Christmas has very little to do with Christ's birthday anymore. Nor, did it when it was winter festivus long before christ.

Christians used pagan holidays, and some of there customs so it would be easier to convert them.

As they used food and alcohol to lure them as well, drinking wine for blood, and eating bread for body.

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #55
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

and yes I know about the last supper, they used that story to help convert pagans.

where is mckee?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:23 PM   #56
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
all i can say is if you really want to get to the bottom of things and find out the truth, do your research and question all sides and angles. will lead you in the right direction.
Is that what you did? It doesn't take much research to find the things that have been quoted here. Heck, history class, or just read a bit about the rise and fall of the Roman Empire and you will find info on the conversion/assimilation of pagans to christianity.

But you meant 'truth', not truth. I've pointed this out in another thread. If all you want is the 'truth', then by all means, study every angle from within the bible. If you want the truth, then study every angle within and without.

Quote:
If your looking for an argument you won't get it from me, I find it pointless to argue with ppl about religion that don't really want to know the truth they just want to argue their point.
^^ you forgot the quotes around 'truth'. But you're right, it is pointless. I am not interested in the 'truth', but I am interested in the truth.

You can choose to not verify the posts on your own and be comforted by your own 'truth'. No argument is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
uh, I don't think you can "find out the truth" exactly. That's why it's called faith, because of the belief in something without the support of proof.

If there was an identifiable truth religion wouldn't require faith, it would just be fact.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #57
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I like to be fair and celebrate Christmahanakwanzimaska that way either nobody or everybody is offended.

Actually I think Christmas has been so completely commercialized that I have informed my entire family not to waste their money buying me things I don't want or need, I will return the favor of course.
It sickens me to see the old claymation show Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer turned into an Afflac Insurance commercial. Along with all the other holiday traditions and even music being used to hawk some product.
Ya wanna give me something for Christmas?
Make it a pie. I think a pie illustrates my feelings very well.
While you make it you will be thinking of me and when I eat it I will be thinking of you. And the Energizer bunny, the Afflac duck, mattress Mac, the Geico gecko, Cadillac, all the electronic game people, the Old Spice dude and all the other users of Christmas to line their pockets don't get richer. Perfect.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:35 PM   #58
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBritt04R6 View Post
As far as the date, or the pagan traditions behind those dates - who cares?

Apparently JoeRocket.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 PM   #59
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
I like to be fair and celebrate Christmahanakwanzimaska that way either nobody or everybody is offended.

Actually I think Christmas has been so completely commercialized that I have informed my entire family not to waste their money buying me things I don't want or need, I will return the favor of course.
It sickens me to see the old claymation show Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer turned into an Afflac Insurance commercial. Along with all the other holiday traditions and even music being used to hawk some product.
Ya wanna give me something for Christmas?
Make it a pie. I think a pie illustrates my feelings very well.
While you make it you will be thinking of me and when I eat it I will be thinking of you. And the Energizer bunny, the Afflac duck, mattress Mac, the Geico gecko, Cadillac, all the electronic game people, the Old Spice dude and all the other users of Christmas to line their pockets don't get richer. Perfect.
the flour market will rise!

sorry for the pun

where is mckee?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:03 AM   #60
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmckee View Post
This is yet another retarded thread.
I don't care if your Christian or not. Christmas has very little to do with Christ's birthday anymore. Nor, did it when it was winter festivus long before christ.

Christians used pagan holidays, and some of there customs so it would be easier to convert them.

As they used food and alcohol to lure them as well, drinking wine for blood, and eating bread for body.
so you would rather them drink real blood, and eat real flesh? im failing to see your point.

Advertisement