MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #341
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Send a message via MSN to TxBritt08R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
really...if the christian faith is so strong with the belied there is only 1 why does christianity have so many different sects? see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._denominations

Seems to me there should only be 1 united christian church if you all believe the same thing. That fact is there are so many sects because everyone interpits the bible a little different than the next guys so he starts his own "church" to mass fellow followers of the same mind set.

I'll be honest and say that I can't answer this. I know that there will be false prophets as said in Matthew 7:13-15

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

The biggest rift between sects in Christianity is the salvation by grace, or salvation by works argument. Regardless of the other differences, this by far is the biggest problem.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
TxBritt08R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I got nothing for Christmas. eltejano Off Topic 28 12-26-2010 05:27 PM
Merry Christmas to all from RideSmart - Merry Christmas 2008 contest! Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 11 01-25-2009 09:54 PM
Its really Christmas now! bioGuru Off Topic 13 12-25-2008 07:37 AM
Iiittttttttsssssssssss Christmas Grinchy Off Topic 6 12-24-2008 11:07 AM
what are you getting your SO for christmas? chasee69 Off Topic 76 12-19-2007 09:03 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 AM   #342
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBritt04R6 View Post
I'll be honest and say that I can't answer this. I know that there will be false prophets as said in Matthew 7:13-15

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

The biggest rift between sects in Christianity is the salvation by grace, or salvation by works argument. Regardless of the other differences, this by far is the biggest problem.
I understand that...how do you know you are following the "proper" sect of christianity? My view point is...you are...because you believe in your that is all that matters...no matter what form he/she takes in your mind.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 AM   #343
Fuzzy018

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2009 HD Dyna - Super Glide

"we need to articulate our faith intelligently and biblically."

That always seems to be the problem.

I don;t know about biblically, but definitely articulate and intelligent. I.E. Gixxerbill
Fuzzy018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:57 AM   #344
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Quote:
I understand that...how do you know you are following the "proper" sect of christianity? My view point is...you are...because you believe in your that is all that matters...no matter what form he/she takes in your mind.

Well I can read and discern for myself for one. When interpreting scripture you are supposed to check scripture against itself, and read it in context. I look at Ephesians 2:8,9 and read this.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of :

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

This tells me exactly what it reads. We're saved by grace through faith. Not by works. Others can read this.

James 2:20
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

That sounds like works is a requirement of salvation, right?

But if you back up two verses and read the whole thing in context, you get.

James 2:18
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

True Christians are saved by Grace, through faith in Jesus Christ - the works come afterwards because of the inward change that Christ brings.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
Old 11-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #345
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy018 View Post
"we need to articulate our faith intelligently and biblically."

That always seems to be the problem.

I don;t know about biblically, but definitely articulate and intelligent. I.E. Gixxerbill

I agree 100% with the underlined point. All questions should be answered with the Word of . I guarantee you 100% that I will screw it up trying to witness and answer questions in my own power.

Britt
Old 11-28-2007, 10:04 AM   #346
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Quote:
I agree 100% with the underlined point. All questions should be answered with the Word of . I guarantee you 100% that I will screw it up trying to witness and answer questions in my own power.

Britt
true if both parties believe in the bible as a base line for discussion

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #347
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

Britt
well I am not here to questions any one's faith. I applaud any person that stands up for what they believe in...even if it may be a different view point of my own...the main point to this thread was the question of every non christian being a hypocrite for celebrating christmas.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #348
Fuzzy018

Bike(s):

Quote:

Well I can read and discern for myself for one. When interpreting scripture you are supposed to check scripture against itself, and read it in context. I look at Ephesians 2:8,9 and read this.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of :

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

This tells me exactly what it reads. We're saved by grace through faith. Not by works. Others can read this.

James 2:20
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

That sounds like works is a requirement of salvation, right?

But if you back up two verses and read the whole thing in context, you get.

James 2:18
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

True Christians are saved by Grace, through faith in Jesus Christ - the works come afterwards because of the inward change that Christ brings.
Personally i think it is perfectly designed and scripted to confuse, and therefore creating a necessity for "translators" in this case priests and the church. It is a self supporting structure consentrating on self survival.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #349
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
true if both parties believe in the bible as a base line for discussion

If all that I believe in comes from the Bible, then its the Bible I need to quote. If I'm out witnessing to someone and carrying on a productive conversation, I'm not going to pull out the 2005 Maintenance and repair manual for a YZF-R6 to try and win them to Christ. I'm going to use what is relevant to the material I'm presenting.

Britt
Old 11-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #350
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Quote:
Personally i think it is perfectly designed and scripted to confuse, and therefore creating a necessity for "translators" in this case priests and the church. It is a self supporting structure consentrating on self survival.
1 Corinthians 14:33 For is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

You know, I can read an encylopedia and intentionally misinterpret the content. I can read a manual, or code book at work and read into something and get it totally wrong. It happens all the time.

Britt
Old 11-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #351
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Quote:
well I am not here to questions any one's faith. I applaud any person that stands up for what they believe in...even if it may be a different view point of my own...the main point to this thread was the question of every non christian being a hypocrite for celebrating christmas.

I really appreciate the respectful and well thought out discussion that we've had. Thank you for the chat.

Britt
Old 11-28-2007, 10:13 AM   #352
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
I really appreciate the respectful and well thought out discussion that we've had. Thank you for the chat.

Britt

thank you...i love intelligent discussions...it keeps the mind sharp.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #353
Cherub
FTP

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Quote:
If all that I believe in comes from the Bible, then its the Bible I need to quote. If I'm out witnessing to someone and carrying on a productive conversation, I'm not going to pull out the 2005 Maintenance and repair manual for a YZF-R6 to try and win them to Christ. I'm going to use what is relevant to the material I'm presenting.

Britt
you totally miss the point, not everyone is you and not eveyone believes in the bible. How you going to witness to those or do you just discount those people cause you cant read a scripture to them and them believe?

Quote:
Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #354
Fuzzy018

Bike(s):

Quote:
1 Corinthians 14:33 For is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

is not the author

This is actually the part that I believe.

The bible is the word of , fine. But it was written by man. I just can't understand how one can so blindly follow scripture that was written by man.

I'm not trying to insult. Not at all.

It's just that MAN is falluable (can't spell). MAN, regardless of how well intending he might be, ALWAYS has personal agendas. And THAT is what you are following.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #355
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Quote:
you totally miss the point, not everyone is you and not eveyone believes in the bible. How you going to witness to those or do you just discount those people cause you cant read a scripture to them and them believe?

I stand on this verse.

Isaiah 55:11
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

This is speaking of 's word in his Bible.

Lets set roles here. I personally do not have the power to save anyone. I, by being obedient to Christ's command, am taking the gospel to the "world". That gospel is located in the Bible. If I'm speaking to someone about the Lord, I'm going to quote scripture and carry on a conversation in that manner. It is up the the Holy Spirit, and the Power of the Word to do his job on that person's heart. It may not even be that day, or a week, or a year! Rest assured though, that a seed was planted.

When people try to witness using their own vain speech, and strength - they'll fail every time.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #356
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Quote:
is not the author

This is actually the part that I believe.

The bible is the word of , fine. But it was written by man. I just can't understand how one can so blindly follow scripture that was written by man.

I'm not trying to insult. Not at all.

It's just that MAN is falluable (can't spell). MAN, regardless of how well intending he might be, ALWAYS has personal agendas. And THAT is what you are following.
You're right - didn't physically write it, He inspired it....

2 Tim. 3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is inspired by and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 that the man of may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

and this

2 Pet. 1:21, "for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from ."
(my emphasis added)

Britt
Old 11-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #357
Cherub
FTP

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Quote:
I stand on this verse.

Isaiah 55:11
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

This is speaking of 's word in his Bible.

Lets set roles here. I personally do not have the power to save anyone. I, by being obedient to Christ's command, am taking the gospel to the "world". That gospel is located in the Bible. If I'm speaking to someone about the Lord, I'm going to quote scripture and carry on a conversation in that manner. It is up the the Holy Spirit, and the Power of the Word to do his job on that person's heart. It may not even be that day, or a week, or a year! Rest assured though, that a seed was planted.

When people try to witness using their own vain speech, and strength - they'll fail every time.

gotcha you dont take into account the other persons background

Quote:
Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #358
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Quote:
gotcha you dont take into account the other persons background
Well yeah, I'll ask them right out. "Do you have a Christian background?" or "Do you go to church?" If no, I'll take the appropriate approach. If they say they don't believe in , then we'll visit ( if they're willing ) a few verses that I believe support his existance ( nevermind that its HIS book were reading ). I trust in the Holy Spirit to lead me when witnessing to someone, and I'm NEVER disrespectful - there's no faster way to turn someone off, and to have them walk away.

Britt
Old 11-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #359
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Funny things is while you are interpreting the scripture you are merely interpreting what somebody else interpreted during a translation.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #360
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Feedback Rating: (2)

Quote:
I guess i fall here, as im atheist and celebrate christmas. however, i celebrate it merely for family. I do not want my entire family to know i do not believe in christ. I use this time to celebrate the fact that i have a family and loved ones who i care for, and who care for me.
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement