MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #321
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

http://www.origin-of-christmas.com/
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I got nothing for Christmas. eltejano Off Topic 28 12-26-2010 05:27 PM
Merry Christmas to all from RideSmart - Merry Christmas 2008 contest! Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 11 01-25-2009 09:54 PM
Its really Christmas now! bioGuru Off Topic 13 12-25-2008 07:37 AM
Iiittttttttsssssssssss Christmas Grinchy Off Topic 6 12-24-2008 11:07 AM
what are you getting your SO for christmas? chasee69 Off Topic 76 12-19-2007 09:03 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2007, 10:41 PM   #322
TooBuku
Dumb Gook

Feedback Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to TooBuku
christmas is just another marketing scheme to me. Just like valentine, easter, brithdays, etc, etc.

Even though the holiday might have 'Christian' backgrounds, i doubt anyone thinks 'For the birth of Jesus Christ!!!' when they're buying their kids a $400dollar ps3 this christmas.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:02 AM   #323
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post

haha...thread killer
Old 11-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #324
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Send a message via MSN to TxBritt08R1
Quote:
haha...thread killer

To the Bible Believing Christian - IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER. I celebrate the Birth of Jesus - The world can do whatever it wants.

Britt
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
TxBritt08R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #325
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
haha...thread killer
That is where you guys don't get the point. We don't care IF they came from Pagan traditions or not. We don't have a documented date of Jesus' birthday. If the church decided that was a good day, I'm ok with that. Pagan or not, Christmas is still a CHRISTIAN holiday no matter how you slice it. It wasn't called Christmas before Christians adopted it.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:38 AM   #326
Jay
Deleted

I belive in Santa Claus...........we play poker on the second friday of every month.........
Old 11-28-2007, 08:47 AM   #327
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
That is where you guys don't get the point. We don't care IF they came from Pagan traditions or not. We don't have a documented date of Jesus' birthday. If the church decided that was a good day, I'm ok with that. Pagan or not, Christmas is still a CHRISTIAN holiday no matter how you slice it. It wasn't called Christmas before Christians adopted it.
:/: i guess thats where im not ok with it. but thats just me.

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:56 AM   #328
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post

the churh did not decide it...constatine did. I understand what you guys points are though...always have. I'm just pointing out that there is more that meets the eye when it comes to traditions that christians call there own...that FACT is that they are shared by many non christian religions and were around long before there was a such thing as christianity. this was the original post...So how many of you celebrate Christmas? Exchange gifts? And why do you do that?

I have only met one aethiest person in my life that was TRULY aethiest. He did not celebrate Christmas, Halloween, Easter, or new years since they are all CHRISTIAN holidays. There was not any gift giving, decorations, or anything representing these holidays in his life.

So how many of you are hypocrites and celebrate these CHRISTIAN holidays anyways?...

we cannot be hypocrites if these hoildays are not christian specific holidays...get defensive all you want this first post threw the first insult out there with out the knowledge of history.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #329
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I'm not trying to talk you guys out of your religion...I could care less what other people worship...to each his own...but that is where muslims and christians are similar...they believe that all those who do not worship their is doomed...how about being a little open minded and take into consideration that MAYBE there is only 1 with many faces.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:02 AM   #330
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Experience: 2 years

Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
:/: i guess thats where im not ok with it. but thats just me.
:/:
Old 11-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #331
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Quote:
the churh did not decide it...constatine did. I understand what you guys points are though...always have. I'm just pointing out that there is more that meets the eye when it comes to traditions that christians call there own...that FACT is that they are shared by many non christian religions and were around long before there was a such thing as christianity. this was the original post...So how many of you celebrate Christmas? Exchange gifts? And why do you do that?

I have only met one aethiest person in my life that was TRULY aethiest. He did not celebrate Christmas, Halloween, Easter, or new years since they are all CHRISTIAN holidays. There was not any gift giving, decorations, or anything representing these holidays in his life.

So how many of you are hypocrites and celebrate these CHRISTIAN holidays anyways?...

we cannot be hypocrites if these hoildays are not christian specific holidays...get defensive all you want this first post threw the first insult out there with out the knowledge of history.

Maybe you could look at it this way. How many of you celebrate Christmas - as in name - but aren't Christian? What about Easter? If you don't believe in the of the Bible, then why not call them something else? I believe that is what the OP's question was. He didn't ask who celebrated the Christian day of December 25th. If you want to worship a rock on that day, thats fine - but don't call it Christmas.

Britt
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
Old 11-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #332
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Quote:
I'm not trying to talk you guys out of your religion...I could care less what other people worship...to each his own...but that is where muslims and christians are similar...they believe that all those who do not worship their is doomed...how about being a little open minded and take into consideration that MAYBE there is only 1 with many faces.

Christianity by its very definition flies in the face of this. I cannot be a follower of Christ and entertain the idea that may not be who he says he is in his word. Sorry.

Britt
Old 11-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #333
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBritt04R6 View Post
Maybe you could look at it this way. How many of you celebrate Christmas - as in name - but aren't Christian? What about Easter? If you don't believe in the of the Bible, then why not call them something else? I believe that is what the OP's question was. He didn't ask who celebrated the Christian day of December 25th. If you want to worship a rock on that day, thats fine - but don't call it Christmas.

Britt
I can see that point of view...let me ask you this...have you ever used the phrase "yule tide greetings"? How many burn a yule log? those are pagan based celebrations for the corrisponding time of year. you in modern times celebrate the birth of man the that wasn't born in december...you celebrate it because constatine said he wanted this date to be named christmas. That is why we all celebrate christmas on dec.25th. All these
"holidays" have other names...samhain is halloween, yule followed winter solstice and "easter" is the pagan spring equinox etc...You guys don't get me wrong...I am not trying to demean christianity for you but just trying to let you know that christianity is not the end all be all in religion.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:31 AM   #334
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Maybe you could look at it this way. How many of you celebrate Christmas - as in name - but aren't Christian? What about Easter? If you don't believe in the of the Bible, then why not call them something else?
Some people do call it something else.

The problem is what a few folks here already mentioned. Christmas is less the celebration of Jesus' birth these days but a cultural phenoma. How many people go to church on Christmas? Not that many. Most are out buying gifts and planning family get-togethers. Whether you want to celebrate Christmas because you are a Christian or not, you are drawn into the cultural trend this time of the season. You are bombarded with 'Merry Christmas', you hear Christmas songs on the radio, you receive Christmas cards, you know certain folks will buy you gifts.

I think most people celebrate Christmas not because they want to celebrate Jesus' birth but simply because it is politically correct.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:31 AM   #335
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Christianity by its very definition flies in the face of this. I cannot be a follower of Christ and entertain the idea that may not be who he says he is in his word. Sorry.

Britt

really...if the christian faith is so strong with the belied there is only 1 why does christianity have so many different sects? see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._denominations

Seems to me there should only be 1 united christian church if you all believe the same thing. That fact is there are so many sects because everyone interpits the bible a little different than the next guys so he starts his own "church" to mass fellow followers of the same mind set.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #336
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Quote:
I can see that point of view...let me ask you this...have you ever used the phrase "yule tide greetings"? How many burn a yule log? those are pagan based celebrations for the corrisponding time of year. you in modern times celebrate the birth of man the that wasn't born in december...you celebrate it because constatine said he wanted this date to be named christmas. That is why we all celebrate christmas on dec.25th. All these
"holidays" have other names...samhain is halloween, yule followed winter solstice and "easter" is the pagan spring equinox etc...You guys don't get me wrong...I am not trying to demean christianity for you but just trying to let you know that christianity is not the end all be all in religion.

I've heard of the Yule tide deal, but TBH I don't know much, if anything about it. I don't use those terms though, or the term "xmas", or "Holiday Season."

As far as your last statement is concerned, I cannot accept that for myself. Jesus Christ is my all in all.

Question for you though. You're speaking of other gods and such, I take it to mean you are atleast spiritual in a sense? That you believe in beings with godlike properties, etc..?

Britt
Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #337
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
I've heard of the Yule tide deal, but TBH I don't know much, if anything about it. I don't use those terms though, or the term "xmas", or "Holiday Season."

As far as your last statement is concerned, I cannot accept that for myself. Jesus Christ is my all in all.

Question for you though. You're speaking of other gods and such, I take it to mean you are atleast spiritual in a sense? That you believe in beings with godlike properties, etc..?

Britt
I believe there is something waiting for us...wether or not we stay on the other side or get reincarnated I guess is up to who ever controls existance on the "other" side.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #338
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

for those who don't know about yule and such...read up...there is nothing wrong with a little knowledge. Like the saying goes...knowledge is power. It will not make you any less faithful to your of choosing. It will only help futher your debating skills if you have a knowledge of historical events.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #339
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Feedback Rating: (2)

if were real, in my eyes he would be nothing more than a being of some sort. Albeit, maybe a much more advanced and greater being than that of man, but a being of this universe/or multiverse nonetheless.
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 AM   #340
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
if were real, in my eyes he would be nothing more than a being of some sort. Albeit, maybe a much more advanced and greater being than that of man, but a being of this universe/or multiverse nonetheless.

There are theories that we are the puppets of some aliens who are experimenting. I think the folks who get abducted by aliens support this theory.

Advertisement