Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #41
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool View Post
Tom's posts need cliff notes.
Patrick has point: pavement is poor

I agree with some and have alternatives: Top expert pace has reached the limits of the track

I have points: Ride within the limits of the track like you would your tires or suspension

Patrick has point: Traction is an issue, due to track deteriorating

I counter: Why does track record and pace of the field keep getting faster and demolishing the track record over the past 4-5 years? The pace now is unbelievable when compared to 5 years ago.

Sorry Pat, it's meant to be in jest.

Ima go outside and sand something. Anyone need something painted?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thanks from Texas Xtreme Off Road Racing! Otis Events, Meets and Rides 0 05-24-2010 08:34 AM
CCS NOT racing in Texas next year??? cdill35 Taking it to the Track 52 12-20-2008 02:26 PM
Texas Yamaha CCS thanks dankston Taking it to the Track 3 04-27-2008 11:38 PM
CCS Racing Weekend Feb 2 & 3 bdmpastx Events, Meets and Rides 12 02-07-2008 12:24 PM
New CCS SOUTH & racing MSR Houston! mammothmc Taking it to the Track 87 08-30-2007 07:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #42
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:38 AM   #43
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

I don’t think the club is at fault here, but I do think the club could limit the exposure the riders have to a track that many don’t like. Why race there 3 times in a season? I’d say put pressure on the OHR owners to do something, repave maybe? Restrooms & showers? A lil more asphalt for pit space?
If they repaved it, I think they could “tweek” a few things that would retain the overall layout, but greatly enhance the safety factor.
Does OHR have potential, yes. WAS it a great track, yes. As is, I just don’t think we need to be racing there 3 times a season. You remove all motivation for the track owners to do anything. The CMRA does not have the funds, nor would I suggest they put any money into something that the CMRA does not own. Too risky IMHO. The nice thing is we have an open (to members of the CMRA) board meeting coming up, and I can’t wait to here the ideas that the BOD has on this subject. I know they have been pondering this, and I would certainly like to hear there points/comments. I’ll be at all of the events regardless, I have customers that will be attending, and I’ll be there for them. I may do a few races this year I don’t know, I may even ride a mini at OHR.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #44
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Dang Tom, I don't think I wrote that much on my Senior thesis. I don't think that there is anyone around that wants to see the CMRA fail, short of Travis Marshall. I think what most would like to see is a club that listens to members and puts thier safety ahead of financial concerns. Yes all tracks have issues, especially for bikes and unfortunately we will ALWAYS be the redheaded step child. With so many new choices with LESS dangers than OHR, I think it may be time to admit it's past it's prime. I for one would be willing to pay a couple dollars more per race/event/whatever to lessen the chance I'll see a friend hauled off horizontal. I think we all get your sentimental attachment to OHR, it seems to conincide with the clubs view. I'm not sure I can swallow the whole "ride within the limits of the track" or the "it's only a problem for the really fast guys" arguments. We are talking about a race venue where guys are going to race full tilt with little reguard to limits. Most of the experienced riders I know are well aware of the limitations of OHR and do ride to it's limitations. However they know they are capable fo faster laps and will keep pushing that envelope and that is where the danger lies. Troy Fuller broke his femur there in T4 when he hit the tire wall that the CMRA had placed there. In that same incident Marv Esterly ended up crossing over to the straight between one and two. If they were not the front runners, or if there was a bigger grid, he would have been into oncomming traffic. OHR has not kept up with the pace of technology on the bikes. I cut my race teeth there, and hated it the first time I rode it. Second time I thought it was pretty cool but tight. By the second race of my second season I could see that was a place I would never go fast and feel comfortable. I have put it LOTS of laps there and I've run off in probably every corner except T1. I still feel it is a fun place to ride no doubt, but it is not a safe place to race anymore than MSRH CCW with a wall in T17. By keeping three races there, there will be more guys going out there to practice, without corner workers, ambulance or any other safety measures. I really don't want to read about another Bradeen, or Beesley when it could be avoided by charging a couple dollars more to race at a safer venue. So let the whole consipacy theroy go for a second and ask yourself how you would feel to see another rider seriously hurt (someone you know) because you convinced them it was a safe place to play. THere are too many dynamics at play to say if you are not as fast as Ty you don't need to worry. Ty at 22's is alot like a novice at 35's. Both will feel they are at the limit and will be facing the same dangers when the "talent runs out". What exactly is YOUR motivation to see more folks at OHR? Why try so hard to convince us all it's safe? Seems pointless to encourage it.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #45
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
Dang Tom, I don't think I wrote that much on my Senior thesis. I don't think that there is anyone around that wants to see the CMRA fail, short of Travis Marshall. I think what most would like to see is a club that listens to members and puts thier safety ahead of financial concerns. Yes all tracks have issues, especially for bikes and unfortunately we will ALWAYS be the redheaded step child. With so many new choices with LESS dangers than OHR, I think it may be time to admit it's past it's prime. I for one would be willing to pay a couple dollars more per race/event/whatever to lessen the chance I'll see a friend hauled off horizontal. I think we all get your sentimental attachment to OHR, it seems to conincide with the clubs view. I'm not sure I can swallow the whole "ride within the limits of the track" or the "it's only a problem for the really fast guys" arguments. We are talking about a race venue where guys are going to race full tilt with little reguard to limits. Most of the experienced riders I know are well aware of the limitations of OHR and do ride to it's limitations. However they know they are capable fo faster laps and will keep pushing that envelope and that is where the danger lies. Troy Fuller broke his femur there in T4 when he hit the tire wall that the CMRA had placed there. In that same incident Marv Esterly ended up crossing over to the straight between one and two. If they were not the front runners, or if there was a bigger grid, he would have been into oncomming traffic. OHR has not kept up with the pace of technology on the bikes. I cut my race teeth there, and hated it the first time I rode it. Second time I thought it was pretty cool but tight. By the second race of my second season I could see that was a place I would never go fast and feel comfortable. I have put it LOTS of laps there and I've run off in probably every corner except T1. I still feel it is a fun place to ride no doubt, but it is not a safe place to race anymore than MSRH CCW with a wall in T17. By keeping three races there, there will be more guys going out there to practice, without corner workers, ambulance or any other safety measures. I really don't want to read about another Bradeen, or Beesley when it could be avoided by charging a couple dollars more to race at a safer venue. So let the whole consipacy theroy go for a second and ask yourself how you would feel to see another rider seriously hurt (someone you know) because you convinced them it was a safe place to play. THere are too many dynamics at play to say if you are not as fast as Ty you don't need to worry. Ty at 22's is alot like a novice at 35's. Both will feel they are at the limit and will be facing the same dangers when the "talent runs out". What exactly is YOUR motivation to see more folks at OHR? Why try so hard to convince us all it's safe? Seems pointless to encourage it.

Did your professor ever mention these things called paragraphs?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #46
MacMan
S. McNamara LSTD Mob Boss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 KTM950SM, 1996 Harley-Davidson FXDL

Several factors contribute to 3 OHR races.
Eagles Canyon is not yet completed and apparently the track has installed metal armoc barrier at the edge of the tracks surface on the outside of several turns.
Few weekends were available at the remaining race tracks due to CCS and other track days orgs. requesting weekends. The CMRA can only afford so many $20,000.00 weekends in its current pricing structure.
The CMRA tries to "balance" the cost of its season over 9 months.
Racing is expensive and these new race tracks are sure proud of their weekend rental rates. Rain or Shine.......

The CMRA will listen to its members and come up with a plan to figure out how OHR will fit into it's long term picture.

2008 will offer more available 2 wheel road racing and tracktime here in Texas than in the history of this sport. Can the market support it?
Hopefully we'll see !!!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #47
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Dang Tom, I don't think I wrote that much on my Senior thesis.

What exactly is YOUR motivation to see more folks at OHR? Why try so hard to convince us all it's safe? Seems pointless to encourage it.
I KNOW I didn't write that much on any paper, any time in school!
I just noticed that the older I get, the more diarrhea of the keyboard I am prone to... I had to cut a bunch out of the post before I could place it because there is a 10000 character limit

Good points all, and well thought out Mr Beasley (besides the lack of structure Mr Bigcomfy had to throw out there for you ).

My only real encouragement is to not condemn a place you have never turned a wheel at because some racer friend (or whatever the source) says it's dangerous. There are plenty of dangers at every track.

As far as seeing people carted off, man, that hits me hard at any track I've been to. Especially in my profession, I see enough carnage at work. I sure don't want to see my friends get hurt.

I think before anyone makes a blanket statement like "I think this track is safe", should put things in to perspective first- not to mention that I never said OHR was safe anyway (I think...). All I've said is that I think it's as safe as just about any other venue we have currently or in the future. I think Cresson and Liberty (when it's built) may end up being the safest venues we would attend. I like the changes at your track, and hope to get out there soon to run it cw. Since apparently CMRA will run endurance there, it looks like I'll get a taste of it one hour at a time...

Anyway, good input all, ending with the sage comments from the Macman. We are so fortunate in our area, I never would have dreamed this would be as big 20 years ago.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #48
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
did any body notice that ccs has a tentative schedule with no actual dates just months?
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:44 AM   #49
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post
did any body notice that ccs has a tentative schedule with no actual dates just months?

And its annoying!

IS Travis working as a one man team? Where all the coo CCS officials?

IF you can't build/maintain a website (without stealing your No.1 competitors pictures and putting it on your site) then how you gonna run an organization!

Either way - if there's a race @ TWS (Texas World Speedway), i'm there - irrespective of the organization running it.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:54 AM   #50
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #51
orchard

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post

And its annoying!

IS Travis working as a one man team? Where all the coo CCS officials?

IF you can't build/maintain a website (without stealing your No.1 competitors pictures and putting it on your site) then how you gonna run an organization!

Either way - if there's a race @ TWS (Texas World Speedway), i'm there - irrespective of the organization running it.
because TWS (Texas World Speedway) is now saying the 3 dates originally scheduled are no longer available.....for some reason. ????

They are trying to work something out.

All other tracks have a definate date.
orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #52
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchard View Post
because TWS (Texas World Speedway) is now saying the 3 dates originally scheduled are no longer available.....for some reason. ????
GEE, wonder what happend there..................pretty from the rider's perspective. Aparrently this is getting to be a cut throat business.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #53
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
I believe these guys race at TWS (Texas World Speedway) sometimes...

http://www.streetcompetition.zoomshare.com/0.html

this was last years registration form:

link

lmao!
umbrella girls/men!

Last edited by Scorpio; 11-27-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #54
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
I believe these guys race at TWS (Texas World Speedway) sometimes...

http://www.streetcompetition.zoomshare.com/0.html

this was last years registration form:

link

lmao!
umbrella girls/men!
Swweeet. I hope they come back next year, I won so much money in the 900cc class last year, I can afford the entry to the race this year!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:58 PM   #55
orchard

Quote:
GEE, wonder what happend there..................pretty from the rider's perspective. Aparrently this is getting to be a cut throat business.
cut throat to say the least Buck.

their starting to act like the mafia. I'm kinda embarrased, or should I say ashamed. :/:
orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #56
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #57
Thermalser

Bike(s):
FZ1, GSXR 750

Quote:
Rumor (unconfirmed) has it, TWS (Texas World Speedway) has been bought.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #58
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalser View Post
Rumor (unconfirmed) has it, TWS (Texas World Speedway) has been bought.
The rumor has been confirmed.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:02 PM   #59
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

PROOF!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #60
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

There was an article in the Bryan Newspaper.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement