MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thanks from Texas Xtreme Off Road Racing! Otis Events, Meets and Rides 0 05-24-2010 08:34 AM
CCS NOT racing in Texas next year??? cdill35 Taking it to the Track 52 12-20-2008 02:26 PM
Texas Yamaha CCS thanks dankston Taking it to the Track 3 04-27-2008 11:38 PM
CCS Racing Weekend Feb 2 & 3 bdmpastx Events, Meets and Rides 12 02-07-2008 12:24 PM
New CCS SOUTH & racing MSR Houston! mammothmc Taking it to the Track 87 08-30-2007 07:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
I think im going to give it a shot next year. if worse comes to worse ill do both with the exception of "oak kill". Right now as my schedule looks for next year it would ouly put me in for 5 CMRA races for the year. Time will only tell though. I'll be back in May so i have plenty of time to decide.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

With so many races at Oak Hill (and the fact that ALOT of people won't be riding there), it seems that CCS is the way to go!

I got my CMRA renewal letter but don't think I'll be sending it back...
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):

User is banned

Old 11-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):

User is banned

Old 11-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Sweet thanks for the info
Old 11-25-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
5 bucks says it never happens
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy"zx6 View Post
i got my renewal letter too from cmra, dont know how ccs will do the endurance race ,i like how wera used to do it, was like 18 laps only one rider on saturday then sunday the sprint race wich was 6-8 laps.
I thought CCS wasn't doing endurance. Did they change something?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Interesting info...

Todd, where'd you hear soo many people won't be racing da` Hill? Is that just the consensus of a couple MH members or did i miss a link on CMRA?

Please do forward it - i'm looking forward to going there, but curious why i hear such extreme love/hate comments about that track.

Please do share

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
Pre-K

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Its just what I've heard (not on motohouston)...

Perhaps its a select few that are just vocal about it?

I only did my 2 days of cornerwork there, never ridden it, and don't want to either (except on a mini, that would be schweeeet!).
Old 11-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
but curious why i hear such extreme love/hate comments about that track.
I really love the track but, hate crashing there
Old 11-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
Its just what I've heard (not on motohouston)...

Perhaps its a select few that are just vocal about it?

I only did my 2 days of cornerwork there, never ridden it, and don't want to either (except on a mini, that would be schweeeet!).
I hear the same stuff - fun on mini.

I guess i'll find out in December.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
Old 11-25-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
I really love the track but, hate crashing there

You fugger!

Good to see you out there @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) yesterday bud! You looked like you were tryna sort the bike out.

May i suggest going to OHR with us in Dec and sorting issues out there...

Either way congrats on the sale of your bike, the guy was telling me what he got it for and it sucks nobody local got that bike - she really was a sweet machine, but a Honda nonetheless.

Congrats though!

Old 11-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #14
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETG View Post
That is what I have heard also, it is a good track for minis, but for big bikes a lot of people say it isn't all that safe. But I am not sure as I have not rode that track, nor do I care to, hence the warnings by others. I keep hearing the same thing over and over.

There are other tracks out there to ride. I would like to ride GSS, it has had its problems, but didn't look that bad when we went out there. Sure it has its problems, but I will try it. Oak Hill is not a option to even try IMHO.

J
Well if you have 3 out of 10 races taking place, by the CMRA which has been around long enough with members that have raced their many many times. I'm sure it can't be that bad.

I've ridden the track with an NSR 50, and it was fun. I'd really like to ride that track with a big bike now.

GSS - no races there, same with a couple other tracks in Texas. So i'll ride em but won't care too much.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:39 PM   #15
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
Quote:
Interesting info...

Todd, where'd you hear soo many people won't be racing da` Hill? Is that just the consensus of a couple MH members or did i miss a link on CMRA?

Please do forward it - i'm looking forward to going there, but curious why i hear such extreme love/hate comments about that track.

Please do share

See CMRA thread called "OAKHILL SAFETY ISSUES ?!?!?"
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #16
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulatto View Post
See CMRA thread called "OAKHILL SAFETY ISSUES ?!?!?"
Hang on..lemme go search it.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #17
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:

You fugger!

Good to see you out there @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) yesterday bud! You looked like you were tryna sort the bike out.

May i suggest going to OHR with us in Dec and sorting issues out there...

Either way congrats on the sale of your bike, the guy was telling me what he got it for and it sucks nobody local got that bike - she really was a sweet machine, but a Honda nonetheless.

Congrats though!
It was good to see you out there as well.
And yes, It was WET n COLD, I didn't know you were offering credits.
I would have packed up after Mike picked up the Honda.

Very sad to let her go but, I've got other bills to pay before next season
Old 11-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #18
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Before this turns in to "why I hate OHR" thread, you should all realize that the people who are "complaining" about that track in CMRA are way faster than any of the MH people (except for Brandon and Bubba) and that pace has probably (very likely) outgrown that track, or they crashed there and are finding excuses of the track to blame for the crash other than "I ran out of talent", some have never ridden there (afaik), or may have ridden there but never raced there, some are trying to promote a new race series and bash CMRA because they are disgruntled for "XYZ" reasons, or think that because "Mr I am/ used to be a racer" says they don't like the track. Some people have their opinions, don't like the track, and possibly none of the above applies to them. I'm not bashing anyone here, it's just my opinion from what I know or perceive.

Here are some truths and opinions:

The track is old, and there are loose rocks on the track (from pavement), rhino lining in spots to fill in areas too small to repave for, narrow, has some terrain that makes run-off difficult, and has some slick spots that will dump you on your head if you aren't good to the throttle.

Tell me one other track that doesn't have most, if not all of these same issues?

TWS (Texas World Speedway): Old, loose rocks on the track (from pavement), rhino lining in spots that are too small to repave for, has lots of terrain that makes run-off difficult, has some slick spots that will dump you on your head if you're not good to the throttle, has dangerous concrete barriers and culverts in run-off areas.

Mercedes Benz in Angleton (I haven't been there in a few months to ride, maybe some of this has changed- so this is just from the last time I rode there): Loose rocks on track (from pavement), rhino lining in spots that are too small to repave for, has terrain that is difficult for run-off (especially with recent rain), has some slick spots that will dump you on your head if you aren't good to the throttle, has a concrete wall on the track, potential for sliding/ crashing in to on-coming traffic if you crash in the wrong spot.

Cresson: Terrain is difficult for run-off, track gets really slick when wet, slick spots that will dump you on your head if you're not good to the throttle

Hallett: Terrain that is difficult for run-off, slick when wet, very slick spots that will dump you on your head if you're not good to the throttle.

What's good about the track? Well, it's a helluva training track. Undulating terrain with tight curves, strangely great grip in wet/ cold weather, can be fun to ride when you get to know it, and has a great history of racers that love the track. None of those reasons that make it a good track could be an end-all, be-all for someone to decide to race there or even ride there, but it's true none-the-less.

I don't ride at the pace where traction (in the dry) becomes a problem like some of the guys running 24's and below are getting in to. The issues I have at my pace (somewhere around the 28's area on my SV) can be found at any of the tracks we ride/ race at- either all of the same issues +, or just most of the same issues. My bet is that many of you are on or slower than my pace for that track and the issues are duplicated at any other track we ride at.

The track is over-due for a repave, but so is TWS (Texas World Speedway), and I'm not sure what to make of Hallett's pavement solution yet... the Angleton track has already had some major re-paving and it's fortunate that they were able to do it- I'm sure they'll have to do it again. There is still plenty of traction there for the mere mortal pace.

Bottom line, nobody seems to have an issue riding at the other tracks with the same kind of issues, or issues that are unique to that track.

While the really fast guys likely have a legitimate about the track, not many (or any) of the slower guys have much that they wouldn't get at just about any other track.

Form your own opinion, but ask yourself, what issues do you have with that track that are strictly unique to it?

I've been going to that track since I was a kid. People were complaining about the same things at that track since then. Not much has changed there since then other than additional pavement sealer, addition of electricity and some water.

I personally don't care if people ride there or not, but don't use excuses that don't apply to you or as a reason to bash a racing org on the internet when some of you have never even raced with cmra, or even ever ridden the track.Those that have raced there or with the cmra may have legit complaints, or, remember too that they may have ulterior motives to complain/ bash.

Flame on.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #19
Pre-K

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Those sorry 's built and race on a track that I don't have the skill to ride a big bike on

Last edited by Pre-K; 11-25-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #20
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
I am not bashing CMRA at all. I am not blaming my crash on oak hill, it was obviously rider error. Sure having the go carts on the track 2 weeks prior did not help. The track was slicker then usual that weekend.

The track has no facliltes which is not a huge deal to me. Sure it would be nice to have atleast gravel rather then all the grass which is a mess when it rains.

My main concern is the safety of the track. I may not be turning 22's but last time i was out there i turned a 28 and it was real sketchy.

If you ever are up there go out on a small pit bike and look at some of the run off areas.

The other reason for me possibly runing CCS next year is my choice ot to ride oak hill on a big bike. That would only put me at 5 races for the whole year. Ill look at the CCS schedule and go from there, maybe ill race CCS in place of oak hill. I also would like to stick to one series and be somewhat competitive ion points next year.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement