MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #41
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPoRiderRR View Post
its not about catching trash... its about taking bad guys/gall off the street on person at a time... it may seem like a petty crime to you but if they do get away with it it will only re-enforce thay stealing is Ok and that heck Ill try it again...
PoPoRider, 'bad' people is subjective. Someone who walks off with a bike that was left on a street corner isn't necessarily a 'bad' person or a criminal. Someone that drives around with a set of bolt cutters LOOKING to steal bikes, is a criminal.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dont Ask, Dont tell...and Lady Gaga morvegil The Circus 2 09-25-2010 10:26 AM
This is why I dont run from the Cops Cornerjunkie General Discussion (Moto Related) 58 05-21-2010 05:08 PM
You dont grind....... you dont shine tonyt915 Off Topic 27 06-30-2009 10:30 PM
dont run from the cops in Pearland FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 06-29-2005 01:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #42
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

what i don't get about the story is why she didn't just open the door and let them in. Why did she let it get so far? If she didn't have anything to hide and if she was so innocent, why did she spend hours inside not letting them in and wait for the tear gas? something doesn't sound right.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #43
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 CBR 1000 RR *** SOLD ***

"Opportunity creates a theif ... " that is BS... Most of us have plenty of " opportunity" yet we CHOOSE to do the RIGHT THING...
Old 11-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #44
MadseasoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
clue, a thief is a thief, poor or mediocre or rich.

now i understand what your saying, but kinda lost. 1 neighborhood complains, so they set up a sting all the way across town? who knows maybe the gang hits more then 1 neighborhood, the cop explaining the story may have left something out.

cops in HD rocks!
That's another good point. They should've at least left a bike sitting in someone's yard, garage, maybe even in front of an apartment building. But on a street corner or on the side of a Stop & Go? Come on, man. Anyone who cares about their bicycle does leave it laying around.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #45
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974 View Post
PoPoRider, 'bad' people is subjective. Someone who walks off with a bike that was left on a street corner isn't necessarily a 'bad' person or a criminal.
Really? What are they then? A good citizen? It's OK to take a bike off the street corner? Where do you keep your bike? I need a new one.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #46
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Bike(s):

I kind of see your point... but a good word of advice is if it isnt yours leave it alone...
Old 11-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #47
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Bike(s):

again it might have been left... what if you little girl left it ??? is it ok to take it... again NOOO... just leave it there... or if you want to turn it in to the police do so... if it is not claimed within an X amount of day the police will give it back to the finder...
Old 11-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #48
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:
"Opportunity creates a theif ... " that is BS... Most of us have plenty of " opportunity" yet we CHOOSE to do the RIGHT THING...

Waste not, want not. If you want the bike, take it with you. Don't leave it laying around for some one to steal.
It is the general public that leaves bikes laying around who get stolen from. It is people that leave CDs or laptops on their seats that get their cars broken into. This is advice from cops to stop these things. Funny how that is the scenario that is set up to catch theives...

If you find a wallet on the street you are stealing to take it. If you find a bike on the street, you are stealing to take that.
If you cut a lock and take a bike you are more of a theif or the guy the cops are after?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #49
MadseasoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Really? What are they then? A good citizen? It's OK to take a bike off the street corner? Where do you keep your bike? I need a new one.

What are the chances that this sting actually stopped the 'real' bike theives from stealing bikes?

How much did this operation actually cost the taxpayers (other than the $3K for the bike)? There were at least 6-7 officers involved. Not to mention the cost of public defenders, housing, etc. I'm sure the cost more than outweighed the benefit.

They would've been better off spending the money on a MC or car and leave it sitting around waiting to get stolen.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #50
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
PoPoRider, 'bad' people is subjective. Someone who walks off with a bike that was left on a street corner isn't necessarily a 'bad' person or a criminal. Someone that drives around with a set of bolt cutters LOOKING to steal bikes, is a criminal.
um somebody taking something that isn't theirs is a thief. that bike belongs to somebody ESP. a nice shiny one.

thats pretty easy to see the black and white.

like i said it's sad that you have empathy for thieves but not cops.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #51
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
that was ron white.

OH OH OH I GOT YOU! BURN! TAKE THAT! YOU WANT SOME OF DIS HOT FIYA?!!! YOU CANT OUT WIT THE CHOSEN ONE BRUDDA!!! WOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

just hackin' on ya.
Danmit I KNEW you were more redneck than me!?!?! Lol
Old 11-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #52
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

I do agree that it is sorta f*cked up to leave the keys in a running car in front of a highschool while trying to target auto theives. Most of the kids climbing in and stealing the car are doing it because of the opportunity. Of course it is not right, but they aren't the common car theif that will walk up to the car, break in, and take off.

i saw some police sting like this on the news a few weeks back. Some kid was laughing hysterically until the cops remotely disabled the vehicle.

Nonetheless, he did steal a car, and it was wrong, but I don't feel that made any dent in "automotive theft ring".
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #53
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
That's another good point. They should've at least left a bike sitting in someone's yard, garage, maybe even in front of an apartment building. But on a street corner or on the side of a Stop & Go? Come on, man. Anyone who cares about their bicycle does leave it laying around.
So if you park your bike on the side or somewhere in public place and it is missing, what would you call that?
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #54
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
I do agree that it is sorta f*cked up to leave the keys in a running car in front of a highschool while trying to target auto theives. Most of the kids climbing in and stealing the car are doing it because of the opportunity. Of course it is not right, but they aren't the common car theif that will walk up to the car, break in, and take off.

i saw some police sting like this on the news a few weeks back. Some kid was laughing hysterically until the cops remotely disabled the vehicle.

Nonetheless, he did steal a car, and it was wrong, but I don't feel that made any dent in "automotive theft ring".
Maybe a grassroots movement thing.. get at them early and maybe they won't hit keep going down that road/track. After all, no one lives forever...
Old 11-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #55
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
What are the chances that this sting actually stopped the 'real' bike theives from stealing bikes?
You'll have to show the source that said they spent $3k on the bike first, because most of the places I know that do stings like that use impounded or unclaimed stolen/ recovered property for stings like that. Cost? $0.

What are the chances that the sting stopped a bike thief is more accurate: Answer? At least one.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #56
level5
moving chicane

Quote:

How much did this operation actually cost the taxpayers (other than the $3K for the bike)? There were at least 6-7 officers involved. Not to mention the cost of public defenders, housing, etc. I'm sure the cost more than outweighed the benefit.

They would've been better off spending the money on a MC or car and leave it sitting around waiting to get stolen.
Regardless of what it takes to rid of all the thiefs or theft deterents, peace of mind knowing your stuff will not get stolen or knowing that you are safe is priceless.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #57
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
oh well, it's a net they catch all the trash.

sad that you have empathy for thieves and not a cops.

Sad that you have a f#$#ked up thought process.

And don't put words into my mouth.
I don't think he put any words in to your mouth. Should we cut-n-paste all the posts where you show empathy for the criminal and disdain for the police? That would be a loooooong post.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:00 PM   #58
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

http://www.khou.com/video/news-index...d=190197&shu=1

the sting i was talking about.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #59
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Bike(s):

^^^^^^^^ - buzz killer right there huh??? lol
Old 11-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #60
MadseasoN

Quote:
again it might have been left... what if you little girl left it ??? is it ok to take it... again NOOO... just leave it there... or if you want to turn it in to the police do so... if it is not claimed within an X amount of day the police will give it back to the finder...
I hear you, bro. I know that and you know that, but in general if you care about something enough then you don't leave it laying around in public. In fact, I don't even see how the cases featured in the show would hold up in court.

I have to refer back to Cletus' comments because he is right.

Advertisement