MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2005, 01:37 PM   #1
UrMyStlkAl

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
93 CBR F2 600

Send a message via AIM to UrMyStlkAl Send a message via MSN to UrMyStlkAl Send a message via Yahoo to UrMyStlkAl
Finally went out for a ride today

I took my bike on it's first real trip besides the neighborhood, lol. I went to Chili's today and on my way home I noticed a problem. The f'ing light doesn't see me. What do you guys do to overcome this??
UrMyStlkAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't wait to Ride Again (Finally healed up) luckyxdevil1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 09-01-2012 08:14 AM
Finally got my bike today... Vegas Kid General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 02-07-2011 09:07 AM
Real Breaking Obama News!!! He's FINALLY MADE HISTORY...TODAY!!! Candy The Circus 439 10-20-2008 11:58 AM
I finally got to ride Squoddybody Off Topic 7 07-10-2008 07:35 AM
finally something that looks respecful to ride cytukyl Off Topic 13 09-02-2006 01:45 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Re: Finally went out for a ride today

run it.. there isnt enough weight to trip the sensor, so you have to just wait till its safe and run it...
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:42 PM   #3
nels

Bike(s):
01 Silver/Black F4i-SOLD =(

I heard magnets work too.
nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:46 PM   #4
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

There are some devices to change/trip the sensor in the street but is just a regular magnet.

You can get a strong magnet from an old used computer hard drive. Their magnets are very strong and just use some plastics ties and attach it to the bottom of your bike.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
st3ph3n

I either just run the light or I've also heard about putting your side stand down on the square on the road.
st3ph3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!

Bike(s):
'04 1200XL

Send a message via AIM to Greenway Smokey

I've only had that problem once with a traffic light, and once with an apartment gate(exit). Yeah you can buy a magnet that is made for that. They are really strong, just stick it to the underside of you bike somewhere.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
Knightrider

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Blue

Send a message via Yahoo to Knightrider

i have a magnet and it helps on most signals...but i have also noticed that if i ride up on one side of the sensor box and apply brakes as i enter the box and stop before i leave then it will trip the sensors that the magnet doesnt...side note you have to apply the brakes hard like your gonna do a stoppie/endo (i.e. 15-20 mph and brake hard enough to make front end dip) if that doesn't work then i will either wait a couple cycles and run it (usually only at night when there isn't much traffic) or turn right then make a u turn
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:46 PM   #8
UrMyStlkAl

Bike(s):
93 CBR F2 600

Send a message via AIM to UrMyStlkAl Send a message via MSN to UrMyStlkAl Send a message via Yahoo to UrMyStlkAl

Guess I'll have to look into the magnet idea. I'm not gonna start running the lights and give the cops more of a reason to pay attention to me. Besides, I've been hit by some jackass that ran a light so that's a no no

The only time it happened to me was when I was trying to turn left into my neighborhood. Everywhere else there was someone else at the light w/ me.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:25 PM   #9
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer

Since this topic has been brought up I'd like to put a myth to bed. The sensors for lights are NOT weight sensitive. They're magnetic. A lot of people think that their bikes don't set off the sensors because they don't weigh enough. Its just that there's not enough metal, and in the case of most sportbikes, not enough ferromagnetic metal (I think this is the right type of magnet) to cause an induction current in the wire laid in the street.

If you still think they're weight sensitive: think of semi's. Those things will park with all their wheels completely outside the litle box, and still trip the sensor.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:45 PM   #10
Lobo

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 R6
2007 R1
2007 R6
Custom

Send a message via AIM to Lobo Send a message via Yahoo to Lobo

I used to roll with a good friend of mine doing Repo's...... and an old trick we used to use to get into apartment complexes was a piece of cardboard wrapped in tin-foil and a rope attached to it, throw it over the sensor strips and drag it and Bam ! gates open, .... so same basic principle applied here, I spray glued some tin foil to the inside and out side of my lower fairing and voila ! no problems yet.

http://www.myspace.com/hyperspeedr6
48c8a880
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:56 PM   #11
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!

Bike(s):
'04 1200XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo
I used to roll with a good friend of mine doing Repo's...... and an old trick we used to use to get into apartment complexes was a piece of cardboard wrapped in tin-foil and a rope attached to it, throw it over the sensor strips and drag it and Bam ! gates open, ....* so same basic principle applied here, I spray glued some tin foil to the inside and out side of my lower fairing and voila ! no problems yet.
nice tip! can you see the tin foil?
Old 08-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #12
UrMyStlkAl

Bike(s):
93 CBR F2 600

that sounds like a good idea. Are you talking about the aluminum foil used for food (I know you said tin but didn't know if there was a difference)?
Old 08-24-2005, 03:01 PM   #13
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMyStlkAl
that sounds like a good idea.* Are you talking about the aluminum foil used for food (I know you said tin but didn't know if there was a difference)?
:laughing6:
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #14
UrMyStlkAl

Bike(s):
93 CBR F2 600

Old 08-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #15
UrMyStlkAl

Bike(s):
93 CBR F2 600

I just went outside to look where I could put it and theres really no place unless I line the inside of the side fairings w/ it. Think that'll work?

im stupid. the dude just said thats where he put his, lol. I'm having a bad day I guess :dontknow:
Old 08-24-2005, 04:34 PM   #16
AdamC

How would that work? Foil that most people have in their house is Aluminum and won't do a thing. :dontknow:
AdamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:41 PM   #17
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!

Bike(s):
'04 1200XL

i imagine that this method/trick depends on the sensor that is in the ground reads a car above it with some kind of sonar. So the motorcycle is usally to slim to return the signal that it sends out, but a peice of foil should work as a better signal-reflecting surface.

I can honestly say that i've never figured out how those sensors work. i'm going to go look it up right now.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #18
TooBuku
Dumb Gook

Send a message via AIM to TooBuku

it's wieght.. either have a car pull up behind you or get in the middle and start jumping on your bike.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:50 PM   #19
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!

Bike(s):
'04 1200XL

Old 08-24-2005, 04:57 PM   #20
UrMyStlkAl

Bike(s):
93 CBR F2 600

well I tried the alum. foil and that didn't help. Guess I'll have to look for somethin to put under the bike

Advertisement