MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
90 5.0
frequent crasher

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600

Thanks.

Thanks

To everyone that had ideas and help with the carb questions.

Bike runs now.

It does however make a little valve train noise? Thats what it sounds like to me when you rev it up over about 5k or so a little vibration and some chatter but not to bad. I have heard of the cam chain tensioner making noises on these does it do what I am describing?
Also are the valves adjustable(sounds kinda like loose valves on a car)

Again thanks
90 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
Thanks

To everyone that had ideas and help with the carb questions.

Bike runs now.

It does however make a little valve train noise? Thats what it sounds like to me when you rev it up over about 5k or so a little vibration and some chatter but not to bad. I have heard of the cam chain tensioner making noises on these does it do what I am describing?
Also are the valves adjustable(sounds kinda like loose valves on a car)

Again thanks
Could be the cam chain tensioner. Those old style tensioners suck. In 99-00those tensioners on busas were failing left and right and lunching motors. Eventually they came up with an updated tensioner with an oil line to apply pressure to the tensioner as a back up.

Maybe your tensioner just needs to go to the next click. I am not sure on the old 600 tensioners if they ratchet the same. on the busa tensioners, you could pull the bolt out of the back of the tensioner along with the spring and plunger, then take a phillips screwdriver, put it in the hole pushing on th guide, you could force it to ratchet into the next click, tightening the chain. Then put the plunger/spring/bolt back in. Not sure if the 600 tensioner is the same though, they will usually/eventually click tighter on their own.

As for the valves, they are not "adjustable" they are shim under bucket. You have to measure the clearance between the buckets and the cams and use different size shims to adjust clearance.

I WOULD SUGGEST, taking it to Motorcycles Unlimited and letting them set the valves for you and be done with it.. They will have the different shim sizes in stock and the knowledge to do it.

Valve trains will make some noise but not clatter like lifters in a 350 chevy, usually the exhaust valves will tighten up and the intakes may loosen, causing some noise but......not usually.

You probably have a header gasket leaking some.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
90 5.0
frequent crasher

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
Could be the cam chain tensioner. Those old style tensioners suck. In 99-00those tensioners on busas were failing left and right and lunching motors. Eventually they came up with an updated tensioner with an oil line to apply pressure to the tensioner as a back up.

Maybe your tensioner just needs to go to the next click. I am not sure on the old 600 tensioners if they ratchet the same. on the busa tensioners, you could pull the bolt out of the back of the tensioner along with the spring and plunger, then take a phillips screwdriver, put it in the hole pushing on th guide, you could force it to ratchet into the next click, tightening the chain. Then put the plunger/spring/bolt back in. Not sure if the 600 tensioner is the same though, they will usually/eventually click tighter on their own.

As for the valves, they are not "adjustable" they are shim under bucket. You have to measure the clearance between the buckets and the cams and use different size shims to adjust clearance.

I WOULD SUGGEST, taking it to Motorcycles Unlimited and letting them set the valves for you and be done with it.. They will have the different shim sizes in stock and the knowledge to do it.

Valve trains will make some noise but not clatter like lifters in a 350 chevy, usually the exhaust valves will tighten up and the intakes may loosen, causing some noise but......not usually.

You probably have a header gasket leaking some.

thanks for the cam tensioner info but I assure you it's not an exhaust leak.
90 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement