MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #21
gixxerbill

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

That is sorry. I sometimes don't wear one on my chopper but there ain't no way in heck I don't make my daughter wear one. Bad parenting that could end up in a horrible ending.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Developing Bad Habits.... NewRider General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 10-14-2011 01:03 AM
weird quirks or habits tonyt915 Off Topic 38 07-24-2010 08:21 AM
Any Weird Habits While Riding??? IslandKilo General Discussion (Moto Related) 116 01-30-2008 10:20 AM
now that gas is hedging $3/gal, are your driving habits gonna change RACER X Off Topic 30 09-02-2005 09:07 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #22
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
snitching to the cops is not cool. Take the helmet over to the house and give him a bs story about how a friend lost his/her life without a helmet, since you have one available you would like to see it go for a good cause and made them promise to put it to good use.
I love it. Don't snitch on him. Lie to him instead.

There are laws about riding unlicensed motor vehicles on public streets, underage vehicle operators, unlicensed operators, and if I'm not mistaken anyone under the age of eighteen is required to wear a helmet. The parent can be ticketed for those offenses.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #23
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
I love it. Don't snitch on him. Lie to him instead.

There are laws about riding unlicensed motor vehicles on public streets, underage vehicle operators, unlicensed operators, and if I'm not mistaken anyone under the age of eighteen is required to wear a helmet. The parent can be ticketed for those offenses.
That's exactly why don't snitch. You might have save a life but gain an enemy.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #24
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
That's exactly why don't snitch. You might have save a life but gain an enemy.
Nope. Won't happen that way. If you talk to him you won't do a bit of good because the whole helmet issue is up for discussion all the time. Everyone has heard it. If he hasn't made her start wearing one by now, no words from the concerned neighbor he has never met is going to help.

Then when you do get to the point of making the call and the cop says a concerned neighbor called it in, he will know exactly where it came from. That wouldn't be a problem for me but is obviously a concern for you.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #25
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Nope. Won't happen that way. If you talk to him you won't do a bit of good because the whole helmet issue is up for discussion all the time. Everyone has heard it. If he hasn't made her start wearing one by now, no words from the concerned neighbor he has never met is going to help.

Then when you do get to the point of making the call and the cop says a concerned neighbor called it in, he will know exactly where it came from. That wouldn't be a problem for me but is obviously a concern for you.
I would let nature take its course if my concerned is disregard.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #26
90 5.0
frequent crasher

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600

Don't know what house they live at in the neighborhood,i just see her riding by my house all the time. I don't see the dad on his bike often. She is usually doing about 50 when she goes buy so short of running out in the street and knocking her off the bike i really don't have a way to stop it.
90 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #27
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
, and if I'm not mistaken anyone under the age of eighteen is required to wear a helmet..
21 actually.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #28
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
snitching to the cops is not cool. Take the helmet over to the house and give him a bs story about how a friend lost his/her life without a helmet, since you have one available you would like to see it go for a good cause and made them promise to put it to good use.
so instead of doing the right thing, your theory is to be a sissy and lie to them? and you honestly think that bs story will work? nope. theyll roll their eyes at you and throw it in the garbage as soon as you turn your back.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #29
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
It's just a generalize statement that most accident happens even when it is close to home or even around the corner.
Actually comes from accident studies. They find that most people tend to relax and pay less attention in familiar surroundings, and that leads to more accidents.

It is the "almost home" syndrom where you drive with high attention and care, and then when you are "almost" home you tend to relax and start thinking about other things.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #30
didimao0072000

Bike(s):
50cc metropolitan

talk to the parents but do NOT give her your helmet. You may be liable if she gets hurt in an accident wearing the helmet you gave her.
didimao0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #31
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Actually comes from accident studies. They find that most people tend to relax and pay less attention in familiar surroundings, and that leads to more accidents.

It is the "almost home" syndrom where you drive with high attention and care, and then when you are "almost" home you tend to relax and start thinking about other things.
Complacency... it's why I don't wheelie by my house.
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #32
90 5.0
frequent crasher

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600

Yeah it's pretty beat up
These pics are old from a post your lids thread on another site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lids 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	7428  
Old 11-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #33
Brena23
Mothernugget

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by didimao0072000 View Post
talk to the parents but do NOT give her your helmet. You may be liable if she gets hurt in an accident wearing the helmet you gave her.
How do you figure? So him giving it to her is different than him selling it to her? What grounds would they have? I am very curious about this one.

Satan ButtNuggets Mothernugget
Brena23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:22 PM   #34
didimao0072000

Bike(s):
50cc metropolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brena23 View Post
How do you figure? So him giving it to her is different than him selling it to her? What grounds would they have? I am very curious about this one.
I would not sell it to her nor give it to her. For product liability, the whole distribution chain can be held responsible from the manufacturer to the store that sells the product. If she gets in an accident and something fails with the USED helmet, say the strap breaks, it could get legally ugly. Why put yourself at risk and put yourself in that chain; especially on a used helmet.
didimao0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:52 PM   #35
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
so instead of doing the right thing, your theory is to be a sissy and lie to them? and you honestly think that bs story will work? nope. theyll roll their eyes at you and throw it in the garbage as soon as you turn your back.
It's not sissy but neighborly reminder. Maybe they listen, maybe they will laugh and say it's none of my business and throw it in the garbage.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #36
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

My kids wear helmets even when riding their bicycles. There's no question about whether or not they'll ride one on their dirt bikes... + all other gear available for them.

It's NOT a lie to have a story about a child dying- MY 9-yr-old Godson suffered an horrendous injury in a bicycle accident in which he died en route (in the ambulance) to the hospital. It DOES happen- and he wasn't hit by a car, he flipped over the handle bars.
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #37
Tumper
Hullo

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Speed Triple SE
01 KLR650,
93 Dyna Wide Glide
11 BMW F800GS
Cannondale F-4...

I really have issues with this topic, I don't have kids, but I do have issues with other people telling people how to raise their kids, government or otherwise. I am not railing against wearing gear, however I am a little uncomfortable with neighbors getting the law "invloved". You can can cause unnecesarilly serious issues by invloving the "authorities" in anything. The child is not being abused, it's none of your business.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #38
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumper View Post
I really have issues with this topic, I don't have kids, but I do have issues with other people telling people how to raise their kids, government or otherwise.

I was dumbfounded with the number of pro gub'ment parenting replies.

Careful what ya'll wish for. You people scare me.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #39
90 5.0
frequent crasher

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumper View Post
I really have issues with this topic, I don't have kids, but I do have issues with other people telling people how to raise their kids, government or otherwise. I am not railing against wearing gear, however I am a little uncomfortable with neighbors getting the law "invloved". You can can cause unnecesarilly serious issues by invloving the "authorities" in anything. The child is not being abused, it's none of your business.
I am not he one mentioned calling the cops but everytime i see that kid fly by I see her getting run over in my head, you might think its none of my buisness but if I or my g/f doesn't see her becouse she is flying around my neighboors truck thats parked in the street like she always does and we run over her it will be my buisness or if she wipes out into my mailbox ect.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #40
Tumper
Hullo

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Speed Triple SE
01 KLR650,
93 Dyna Wide Glide
11 BMW F800GS
Cannondale F-4...

Most of my mini rant was related to getting the "law" in volved... I understand the concern for the child.

Advertisement