Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Track Day advice needed...

Hi there,
Any help in answering the following questions is very much appreciated.
Have a look at my intro “Rookie member, be gentle……” if you’re curious about why I’m asking.
I know I could probably source some of the required info myself from relevant web sites but I much prefer talking/listening to people who have done it/are doing it themselves.

1) Is a US motorcycle licence required to do trackdays in Texas??
2) Is a UK (United Kingdom, England) licence acceptable??
3) Is track insurance compulsory in Texas??
4) Is track insurance available to international visitors??
5) Are bikes noise tested in Texas as they are at several tracks in the UK (105 db)??
6) Is your bike scrutineered before trackdays or is the preparation down by the participant??
7) In the UK we generally follow a pattern of having 3 groups at a trackday, novice, intermediate and advanced. Is this the same in Texas??
8) Each group does about 20 mins on track subject to stoppages before rotatating to the next group and so on. Is this the same or is it an open pit??
9) Are marshals present on trackdays as they are in the UK??
10) Who am I most likely to meet at a Houston trackday, the rider who says “Hey, you look like your struggling a bit through turn three, come out with me after lunch and I’ll try and show you a good line through there !” or “Hey, you look like your struggling a bit through turn three, what ? your running 31psi in your front Pirelli, no way man you should be running 31.35, you see the Pirelli SuperCorsa Diablo has a triple laminate cross weave multi layered diamond construction carcase blah blah blah blah blah” ???????

I really hope you can help with some of these.
Cheers
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice Needed Los Off Topic 34 04-01-2015 11:20 AM
Advice Needed KhmerStyle How To's and Q & A's 6 06-20-2014 10:48 PM
Need some track day advice eddy69 Taking it to the Track 18 02-26-2010 12:35 AM
Advice needed! GQ* Off Topic 16 01-10-2009 04:57 AM
Taking it to the track! SUGGESTIONS/ADVICE needed! Andy Taking it to the Track 20 02-15-2008 09:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

1)Is a US motorcycle licence required to do trackdays in Texas??

No

2)Is a UK (United Kingdom, England) licence acceptable??

Yes, but once again, not necessary.

3)Is track insurance compulsory in Texas??

No

4)Is track insurance available to international visitors??

As far as I know, there is no one currently underwriting personal track insurance.
If you have personal liability insurance or insurance on your motorcycle, you may want to check with them if your bike will be covered.
Many insurance companies are now NOT covering bikes that incur damage at track days.

5)Are bikes noise tested in Texas as they are at several tracks in the UK (105 db)??

No

6)Is your bike scrutineered before trackdays or is the preparation down by the participant??

It will have to pass tech, which is a basic safety / mechanical check.

7) In the UK we generally follow a pattern of having 3 groups at a trackday, novice, intermediate and advanced. Is this the same in Texas??

At some of the organizations, such as LSTD and Ridesmart, yes.
At Longhorn, no.

8)Each group does about 20 mins on track subject to stoppages before rotatating to the next group and so on. Is this the same or is it an open pit??

See above.

9)Are marshals present on trackdays as they are in the UK??

Yes.

10) Who am I most likely to meet at a Houston trackday, the rider who says “Hey, you look like your struggling a bit through turn three, come out with me after lunch and I’ll try and show you a good line through there !” or “Hey, you look like your struggling a bit through turn three, what ? your running 31psi in your front Pirelli, no way man you should be running 31.35, you see the Pirelli SuperCorsa Diablo has a triple laminate cross weave multi layered diamond construction carcase blah blah blah blah blah” ???????

All of the above.

It sounds as if you've got some track time under your belt, so covering the obvious is probably a moot point, but here's a link to something I put together a long time ago. You may find some useful info in there:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4310

Track days here are similar to others you've probably run, with possibly the biggest exception of insurance and noise limitations.

Oh, and Welcome to Texas!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Hi there,
Any help in answering the following questions is very much appreciated.
Have a look at my intro “Rookie member, be gentle……” if you’re curious about why I’m asking.
I know I could probably source some of the required info myself from relevant web sites but I much prefer talking/listening to people who have done it/are doing it themselves.

1) Is a US motorcycle licence required to do trackdays in Texas??some associations yes but I've never seen any check
2) Is a UK (United Kingdom, England) licence acceptable??yes
3) Is track insurance compulsory in Texas??no need
4) Is track insurance available to international visitors??certain insurance companies will cover you at the track
5) Are bikes noise tested in Texas as they are at several tracks in the UK (105 db)??nope
6) Is your bike scrutineered before trackdays or is the preparation down by the participant??just make sure your tires are good and everything is in good working order
7) In the UK we generally follow a pattern of having 3 groups at a trackday, novice, intermediate and advanced. Is this the same in Texas??depends on the association but most follow such a structure other than LMS
8) Each group does about 20 mins on track subject to stoppages before rotatating to the next group and so on. Is this the same or is it an open pit??yeap other than LMS they do 30 minutes 1 group then 30 minutes cars
9) Are marshals present on trackdays as they are in the UK??yes
10) Who am I most likely to meet at a Houston trackday, the rider who says “Hey, you look like your struggling a bit through turn three, come out with me after lunch and I’ll try and show you a good line through there !” or “Hey, you look like your struggling a bit through turn three,(yes intructors are present and available. You will also have control riders present as well. what ? your running 31psi in your front Pirelli, no way man you should be running 31.35, you see the Pirelli SuperCorsa Diablo has a triple laminate cross weave multi layered diamond construction carcase blah blah blah blah blah” ???????

Cheers
I think most questions were answered for you. If you check the organizations sites you will find additional info as well. Welcome to Texas!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Patrick is faster than the blackberry!
Old 11-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #6
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post

Cheers
You'll meet all kinds, with accents and languages you won't understand!

truth be told....

You may even bump into the occasional Scot and Irish...
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:09 AM   #7
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
You'll meet all kinds, with accents and languages you won't understand!
And more than a few of unknown origin..............
Old 11-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Thanks a whole lot fellas, I feel like a great weight has been lifted.
Patrick you’re a star, a very helpful link.
When I get over there I’ll bring you some fresh cockles as a thankyou !!

Quote:
Patrick is faster than the blackberry!
Whoooosh that’s right over me....

Quote:
Oh f#ck, the Irish great but the Scots………. I’m going to be needing an interpreter then

As a matter of interest, what is the preferred tyre of choice for the regular trackdayer and amateur club racer (excluding series that use a control tyre) ???

Over here the Pirelli SuperCorsa Pro & SuperCorsa Diablo probably just about come out top with Dunlop’s 2nd, Metzeler Racetecs 3rd , and Michelins a long long way behind even though they are significantly cheaper.
Generally speaking a compound “1” front and a “2” rear seem to be the way to go here amongst 600 and 1000cc riders.
Is that the same over there or do the higher temps mean harder compounds ?? Just curious…..
Old 11-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

All are good tires, but I prefer the Bridgestone BT002 Pro or the Michelins.
The Pirellis race tires have a tendency to cold tear the rears, and the Dunlops in my experience feel greasy and have an overly hard carcass.

For track day use, I'd recommend a hard rear and medium front.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
You will find all sorts of tires (tyres) at the local events. Bridgestone and Pirelli are the most common at track days, as those vendors make a point to attend each event. Michelin and Dunlop are genarally only found at the race events such as CMRA or CCS. You will probably berunning harder compounds for the durability factor, but all are offered, with the faster racers using softer compounds for single sprint races.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Did some one ring.......?

lol
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
Ridesmart

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

pm sent..a lot of info answered in thread too.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #13
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

If you are a seasoned trackday addict, LMS is the best no-pressure game in town. You can skip a session, take a nap, eat lunch, suit up at your leisure, and still get more than enough track time. By the last session it will be you and a fearless crew of 10 or so wringing the last from your tires.

LSTD and Ridesmart are more structured, cater to beginners as well as advanced riders, have more traditional "classroom" instruction. Track time is 1/3 of the day per group.

Main differences IMO: With 120 or so riders, 40 on the track, crashes are a bit more common with LSTD and Ride Smart than with 30 on the track at LMS. STatistically, probably the same, but with more on the track in the day (120 vs 30) it's less likely to occur at a LMS trackday.

LMS is only at MSRH (Motorsport Ranch Houston...now called Mercedes Benz of Sugerland Raceway due to owner change). LSTD and Ride Smart are at most Texas bike tracks.

LSTD teaches the official curriculum needed for racers wishing to participate in CMRA racing. They also have a track day at each race location on the friday leading up to the weekend. LMS and Ride Smart (I think) do not have the official novice racing school curriculum.

Novices are welcome at LSTD and Ride Smart with a specific curriculum. The slow groups are no passing, no risk taking.... Great for your first time on the track. LMS is normally catered to trackday junkies and racers. But LMS has a noobie only trackday every so often where rider numbers are very limited and even the slowest riders feel comfortable. And the faster street riders can experience the track without feeling the need to keep up with experienced track addicts.

LMS is fairly informal and organized like a weekend group ride of close friends. LSTD and Ride Smart are well organized and more formal, kinda like a corporate retreat. All 3 kick .

Just my 2 cents of course.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #14
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Very well put Shadman!

If you wish to become a licensed CMRA racer, you must go through LSTD to obtain your license, this is the only local org. that offers this.

LSTD holds it's trackdays at all of the CMRA's race venues with the exception of Hallet in OK.

Since you sound like you have track riding exp. under your belt it should be fairly easy for you to get aquainted with the org of your choosing.

For this year, there are only a few days left which are being held with RideSmart and LMS.

Lone Star Trackdays will resume it's yearly schedule in February 08'
We offer 1 on 1 instruction for students, also provided as afore mentioned is the Licensing opportunity to get involved with the CMRA.

Locally we also have Texas Mini Grand Prix if you like to have fun riding the smaller bikes. This is a Racing Series only with no trackdays.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #15
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #16
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Thanks guys, I think I'm now beginning to build up a picture of the Texas scene and it all sounds good

Shadman go to the top of the class, a very well written piece and exactly the kind of personalised input I was looking for. All has been noted. Cheers

I appreciate the opinions also given on tyres, incidentally, how much approx does a set of Pirelli SuperCorsa Diablos, 120/70ZR17 front and a 190/60ZR17 rear cost fitted and balanced, just a rough idea please??

My thanks to everybody that's taken the time to post here.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Pirellis are not priced too badly, but more than the Bridgestones. We have issues with Pirelli on our race bikes, not so much the cold tearing as a problem like Patrick mentioned, but more with the longevity of the tire. Michelin didn't offer the feedback, and don't last as long either (for us). Dunlops are too over-priced and like Patrick mentioned, the carcass is too hard. Mostly the price is the big issue with Dunlop for me personally.

Bridgestone on the other hand, has been VERY good for us in racing and for track days. Excellent feedback, superb wear characteristics, very sticky with edge-grip, and priced better than anyone else. Hit up KawiJM (posted above) from SCRC. He is the local Bridgestone rep, and can hook you up with a great set to try out.

Expect to pay about $100 more for the Pirelli than Michelin or Bridgestone.

Additionally about Bridgestone: I've noticed with friends that race nationally and through internet discussions on national boards that Bridgestones are not very popular throughout the country, and not very popular in Europe. In this part of the country (CMRA race series- Texas/ Oklahoma), the Bridgestones out perform every other brand of tire in most cases. This is from endurance racing experience, which I believe gives a truer broadcast of a tire's performance- most sprinters (especially the fast ones) will ride/ race whichever brand they get help from (sponsorship), and can ride any brand fast anyway.

KawiJM can give you a great price on the 'Stones, I highly recommend trying a set before spending more money to get the Pirelli. In my opinion, of course! Good luck!
Old 11-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #18
mojo
Platinum Member

Bike(s):
2006 R6

One thing to note there is a new track opening up called liberty motorsports park. and they put in there press release that sound on the track will not exceed 105 dB's.

So if you think you want to give that track a shot you might want to plan accordingly.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #19
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
One thing to note there is a new track opening up called liberty motorsports park. and they put in there press release that sound on the track will not exceed 105 dB's.

So if you think you want to give that track a shot you might want to plan accordingly.
this is still only a pipe dream.....it's not reality until asphalt is layed down. hopefully it will be a reality for us....but we'll have to wait and see.

and as for the trackday questions......looks like everyone pretty muched answered everything.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #20
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx