Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
90 5.0
frequent crasher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Atascocita
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 561


Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600









Carb question

Ok,

I finally got my fuel pump in and got the bike running(98 gsxr 600).

But, it will only start when it's choked and idle if i keep it choked.
If you try to rev it it dies if you open the choke it dies.

If i spray starting fluid in the carbs it will rev up and down intill it runs out of fluid in the carbs. one time i got it started with the fluid and held the r's at 3,000 for about 30 secs then it quit.

I can hear the fuel pump running and it idles as long as it's choked?

Any Ideas?
90 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R1 Carb Question sborris How To's and Q & A's 3 09-29-2011 12:17 AM
carb problem question paniro187 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 20 03-29-2011 04:06 AM
Does anyone have a list of no carb - low carb foods? GIXXERKELLY Health and Fitness 7 08-17-2009 11:32 AM
Carb Question derrex How To's and Q & A's 24 03-21-2008 09:33 PM
Carb question for 2001 R6 andre3k How To's and Q & A's 8 08-30-2007 09:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
GHOSTRIDER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: LaPorte tx
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 421


Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000>>> sold sold>>> no bike
08 CBR1000RR








sounds like you need your carbs cleaned
GHOSTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Warpbender
warped and bent
 
Warpbender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hockley, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,717

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'07 Yammy FZ1 "the faster blue one"
'04 DR650se (sold)



Member Garage


Are you doing this with the airbox open?
I did a snorklectomy with the k/n filter on mine "single" and it ran similar to that until I jetted it for the mod
__________________

Life is too short not to ride nekkid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
So keep talking chit or try it.
Warpbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
90 5.0
frequent crasher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Atascocita
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 561


Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600









Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpbender View Post
Are you doing this with the airbox open?
I did a snorklectomy with the k/n filter on mine "single" and it ran similar to that until I jetted it for the mod
Tank is on sideways with airbox on the ground and pipe is on my work bench.
I had the airbox on but took it of while I was jaking with it . The first time it fired up i had to spray carb cleaner in the carbs.
90 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
ZXALAN
UR NXT
 
ZXALAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: League City Tx
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,254

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR








Spraying starting fluid and carb cleaner in it to get it to start is going to kill the top end....Running the engine on starting fluid is washing all the oil off of the cylinders, you will wash the rings right out of it....

As for the carbs, pull them off, they are obviously clogged up or the floats aren't set right. I am sure the pilot jets and idle/air bleeds are plugged up....
You need to pull off the carbs, completely strip them and clean them out. You can do this with cans of carb cleaner if thats all you have, take a small piece of steel wire or a sewing needle and run it through all the jets and passages in the carbs you see. At a minimum you will need bowl gaskets.

Study up on cleaning the carbs, its not that hard, its harder to get them off and on then it is to clean em. Make sure you set the floats right, start the idle/air bleeds 1.5 turns out from all in. Then you will have to sync the carbs with vac gauges or mercury sticks.

Its not going to get any better until you pull the carbs and clean them..

Whatever you do, don't use the starting fluid....its only designed to light off a cold, stubborn engine...running the engine on the fluid will do serious damage to the cylinders/rings. You can use WD40, its not as effective but not as harmful either....
__________________

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
90 5.0
frequent crasher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Atascocita
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 561


Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600









Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
Spraying starting fluid and carb cleaner in it to get it to start is going to kill the top end....Running the engine on starting fluid is washing all the oil off of the cylinders, you will wash the rings right out of it....

As for the carbs, pull them off, they are obviously clogged up or the floats aren't set right. I am sure the pilot jets and idle/air bleeds are plugged up....
You need to pull off the carbs, completely strip them and clean them out. You can do this with cans of carb cleaner if thats all you have, take a small piece of steel wire or a sewing needle and run it through all the jets and passages in the carbs you see. At a minimum you will need bowl gaskets.

Study up on cleaning the carbs, its not that hard, its harder to get them off and on then it is to clean em. Make sure you set the floats right, start the idle/air bleeds 1.5 turns out from all in. Then you will have to sync the carbs with vac gauges or mercury sticks.

Its not going to get any better until you pull the carbs and clean them..

Whatever you do, don't use the starting fluid....its only designed to light off a cold, stubborn engine...running the engine on the fluid will do serious damage to the cylinders/rings. You can use WD40, its not as effective but not as harmful either....

Thanks and yeah I have used the starting fluid as little as possible just to light it off and to be sure the bike would actually lite when i was diagnosing the fuel pump prob.

I just found a manuel online I'll take the carbs apart tomm.

UFC tonite

Thanks

Oh and anybody know were to get carb gaskets in town
90 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
Chris24
Thread Savior
 
Chris24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,635

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special









Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
shoot me a PM, if im feeling generous i will let you buy me some beer so i can come over and clean them for you.

i used to own a 97 gsxr 600, and i happen to be a pro mechanic these days. carb cleans are my specialty! im your guy!







p.s. Shiner bock.
__________________
Brought to you by Carls Jr.!
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
Chris24
Thread Savior
 
Chris24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,635

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special









Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
Oh and anybody know were to get carb gaskets in town
someone might have them, but if they are not leaking, you most likely can get away without new ones. (at least for now, replace them later if you want the peace of mind) you will have to inspect them when you clean everything, replace them if they are torn etc.
__________________
Brought to you by Carls Jr.!
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
pimp2303
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Near Pearland
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 849

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
78 Yamaha yz400, 07 Honda cr-f230,




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
shoot me a PM, if im feeling generous i will let you buy me some beer so i can come over and clean them for you.

i used to own a 97 gsxr 600, and i happen to be a pro mechanic these days. carb cleans are my specialty! im your guy!







p.s. Shiner bock.


i would take this guy up on this offer....
__________________
pimp2303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:36 PM   #10
90 5.0
frequent crasher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Atascocita
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 561


Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600









Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
shoot me a PM, if im feeling generous i will let you buy me some beer so i can come over and clean them for you.

i used to own a 97 gsxr 600, and i happen to be a pro mechanic these days. carb cleans are my specialty! im your guy!







p.s. Shiner bock.

SHINER BOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet thanks for the offer,

pm sent
90 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #11
ZXALAN
UR NXT
 
ZXALAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: League City Tx
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,254

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR








Man you can't beat that offer with a stick! Good luck on your carb job. Remember to synch them in when you get them back on and running.. You might shim the needles up a click or two while you're in there for general principle. If the needles don't have notches/clips, you will have to use some thin washers, maybe like .015-.020 thick. Make sure you set the floats to spec also.
__________________

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy