MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
ange062

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 ZX-6R race bike
'05 SV650 Street
CMRA Expert #826, #63 Team Supafly Mini-Endurance, #26 IDB Racing BB Endurance

Send a message via AIM to ange062
Race Plastics

Anybody have opinions on brands of race fairings? To me, Sharkskinz look the best made, but also carry the heftiest price tag at $900 MSRP. Hotbodies look medium quality, with a much better buy in at ~$600.

I am really tempted to go with the cheapy EBAY crappers for $300 though, does anyone have any experience with similar items?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130172453408

Just looking for opinions and advice based on experience, is the more expensive stuff worth it?
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions on best race plastics?? spyderryder Taking it to the Track 11 02-20-2010 10:44 PM
Help, race plastics. GABRIEL Taking it to the Track 0 10-10-2008 03:49 PM
my new race plastics NorthHoustonGSXR Taking it to the Track 17 06-14-2008 01:27 PM
Race plastics KalmarJoe Taking it to the Track 8 07-04-2005 01:10 PM
Track/Race plastics arturo3rd Taking it to the Track 16 06-19-2005 02:13 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2007, 01:01 AM   #2
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
I have Hotbodies and I don't recommend them. The quality and fit and finish are not the greatest. The positive is they are less expensive than some brands, but more than the Ebay ones.

Attack Performance makes awesome plastics that fit well and come very well prepared for any paint or work you want to do to them. Check them out.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:56 AM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

+1 to the sage advice of Derek.

Do a search real quick, there was a thread just the other day on this very subject.

Some people have had good luck with the Ebay brands (E-Racing, Pit-Ek, others), but my experience has been very bad with each of them, and I have seen quite a few sets come through my door for help with repairs and paint.

A new vendor, Cycleskinz, is constructed very well, fits like OEM, and has almost all the qualities of the best brands of bodywork. IMHO, the only two that stand out above the rest are Attack Composites and Sharkskinz.

Attack gets the nod from me because they tend to fit better than the Sharkskinz, and they come "ready to paint". The Sharkskinz require quite a bit of work to get ready to paint. Attack Composites are also a couple (if not three) hundred dollars less expensive than the 'Skinz too. Retail on the Attack is about $750.

Cycleskinz on the other hand are about $500 retail, and the extra work you have to do (priming and sanding) is more than acceptable when you're talking about a $500 difference in price!

If you're just getting started, and don't know if you'll continue with racing or doing lots of track days, the cheaper stuff will be just fine. The things you'll sacrifice will be: Durability, fit, construction, and finish. Each of the cheaper brands will have most, if not all of those items as "flaws".

If you're committed, and think you'll spend a lot of time on the track and/ or racing, then I would bite the bullet and get the Attack Composites. Don't rule out the Cycleskinz though, you can't beat 'em for the price- they are constructed exactly like the Attack, fit as well as the Attack, and are as durable/ crashable as the Attack.

PM me if you want more information, I have done a lot of research on this subject.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:01 AM   #4
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
tom, aren't you able to get good pricing on cycleskinz stuff? if you can, would you mind PMing me a price for a full set for an 04-05 zx-10r? i'd really appreciate it, or even point me in the direction of someone who can.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:01 AM   #5
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Here ya go: http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=40627

Read everyone's advice on that thread, make your own decision. If you have further questions, I'm sure everyone on that thread that gave input would not mind elaborating a bit.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:06 AM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
tom, aren't you able to get good pricing on cycleskinz stuff? if you can, would you mind PMing me a price for a full set for an 04-05 zx-10r? i'd really appreciate it, or even point me in the direction of someone who can.
I can help some times, but don't forget our site sponsors can get fantastic deals for members.

I don't know about the other vendors, but I know Patrick cuts hella good deals on bodywork when he can- the off-season is the best time too.

I'd hit Motorcycles Unlimited up, and maybe some of our other sponsors to see if they can get good deals this time of the year.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:07 AM   #7
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I can help some times, but don't forget our site sponsors can get fantastic deals for members.

I don't know about the other vendors, but I know Patrick cuts hella good deals on bodywork when he can- the off-season is the best time too.

I'd hit Motorcycles Unlimited up, and maybe some of our other sponsors to see if they can get good deals this time of the year.
very good advice!
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:49 AM   #8
ange062

Bike(s):
'07 ZX-6R race bike
'05 SV650 Street

Attack as an option I didn't even know about, I have to see if my sponsor can get the stuff, otherwise I think I may just risk it to get the cheapy ebay's and hope for the best.

Cycleskinz sounds not bad also, they have a website or something? How does one go about purchasing these?

More input appreciated
Old 11-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange062 View Post

Cycleskinz sounds not bad also, they have a website or something? How does one go about purchasing these?
Did you read the thread I linked?

I am a vendor for Cycleskinz, I think Patrick set himself up with them too, but you'll have to check. Our site sponsors give excellent prices, so I would hit them up.

Cycleskinz has a web site, but they are brand new, and don't have much information up there, and no really good pictures. I just painted a set for a friend, and I was very happy with them.

Sponsor? If you have a sponsor, then I would go through them and get the Attack. If you are a racer with a sponsor, I wouldn't pay for anything you don't have to...
Old 11-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #10
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Experience: 10+ years

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
That E-bay brand is Pit-etek and is great stuff. It's on my '07 and fit better than ANY brand I've tried, and I have tried them all. Tony did the paint anad he had nothing negative to say, and it looks great. Can't beat the price, and it came pre drilled. Unpack, light sand, paint, mount.......DONE. It is TRACK plastic so I have always been reluctant to spend 500.00+ for stuff that WILL see the asphalt if you are trying to get faster. Pit -etek does repair well indeed!!!

Last edited by Buck Beasley; 11-17-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #11
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

yeh,this winter im either buying pit ek (due to buck and tonys praise, or might get me some woooooooody.....

one way or another im gonna be sporting track skins next year.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #12
ange062

Bike(s):
'07 ZX-6R race bike
'05 SV650 Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Did you read the thread I linked?

I am a vendor for Cycleskinz, I think Patrick set himself up with them too, but you'll have to check. Our site sponsors give excellent prices, so I would hit them up.

Cycleskinz has a web site, but they are brand new, and don't have much information up there, and no really good pictures. I just painted a set for a friend, and I was very happy with them.

Sponsor? If you have a sponsor, then I would go through them and get the Attack. If you are a racer with a sponsor, I wouldn't pay for anything you don't have to...
I did check the other thread, just didnt get all the way to the end to see your response I'm going to call Patrick today and get some more info from him, or you can shoot me your contact info on PM and I'll get it from you

The sponsor is only partial (i.e. discounts but nothing free) so I can typically get stuff from the for UBER cheap, just need to see if it is cheap enough to get to ebay prices, if they can even get the attack stuff in the first place...

Advertisement