Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007, 04:16 PM   #81
SPYDER BITE
Can-Am has arrived

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2009 Can-Am Spyder 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBritt04R6 View Post
My very first post in this thread was this...

"True, Strong, Christian Values. I don't mean lip service Christianity either.'

I'm sorry you got screwed over by someone that claimed to be a Christian. Lets not generalize and put all Bible believing and practicing Christians in that catagory, okay?

Britt
that is not at all what I was saying and would not say no one is what they say they are, but there are people out the that falsify who they really are to get what they want. I personally do not claim to be any particular religion, I believe in , but that does not mean I walk a straight line every day of my life, who does. I also believe there are good christian people in this world but you don't have to announce it to the world for it to be true. It is my opinion that we all walk our own path and there is only one higher justice that has a right to pass judgement.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What does a 'President' really do? Vividkid The Circus 1 06-15-2011 12:26 AM
what does it take to be president mekrew The Circus 21 11-04-2008 04:43 PM
so... when will we know who the next president will be? BigComfy The Circus 13 10-31-2008 01:21 PM
the president RACER X The Circus 40 09-09-2005 04:58 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #82
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew View Post
ya as far as education goes i know tons of people that are grown out of college or just out of hs and are lacking some of the basic that you learn in school
:/: + 5 billion. We need to return to a classical education model instead of social promotion.
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #83
Fuzzy018

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2009 HD Dyna - Super Glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBritt04R6 View Post
Embryonic stemcell research is murder, same as Abortion. They should both be outlawed. Every unborn child has a right to live.

And I'll open the Bible and declare the righteousness of Christ whenever and however I choose.

Britt
Embryonic stem cells (ES cells) are stem cells derived from the inner cell mass of an early stage embryo known as a blastocyst. Human embryos reach the blastocyst stage 4-5 days post fertilization, at which time they consist of 50-150 cells.

ES cells are pluripotent. This means they are able to differentiate into all derivatives of the three primary germ layers: ectoderm, endoderm, and mesoderm. These include each of the more than 220 cell types in the adult body. Pluripotency distinguishes ES cells from multipotent progenitor cells found in the adult; these only form a limited number of cell types. When given no stimuli for differentiation, (i.e. when grown in vitro), ES cells maintain pluripotency through multiple cell divisions. The presence of pluripotent adult stem cells remains a subject of scientific debate, however, research has demonstrated that pluripotent stem cells can be directly generated from adult fibroblast cultures.[1].

Because of their plasticity and potentially unlimited capacity for self-renewal, ES cell therapies have been proposed for regenerative medicine and tissue replacement after injury or disease. However, to date, no approved medical treatments have been derived from embryonic stem cell research (ESCR). Adult stem cells and cord blood stems cells have thus far been the only stem cells used to successfully treat any diseases. Diseases treated by these non-embryonic stem cells include a number of blood and immune-system related genetic diseases, cancers, and disorders; juvenile diabetes; Parkinson's; blindness and spinal cord injuries. Besides the ethical problems of stem cell therapy (see stem cell controversy), there is a technical problem of graft-versus-host disease associated with allogeneic stem cell transplantation. However, these problems associated with histocompatibility may be solved using autologous donor adult stem cells or via therapeutic cloning.

They're cells. Not Babies
Fuzzy018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #84
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua View Post
:/: + 5 billion. We need to return to a classical education model instead of social promotion.
ML, What does classical education model mean?
Old 11-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #85
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
Kids are the future of the nation. The president should have the future of the nation as a high priority, hence educating children to be the new leaders of the nation to come.

It doesn't work currently and that is why I am saying they should consider research, common sense and care when redoing the education system and not just looking at the cheapest way of getting the best test scores.

Kids are an investment and it irks me when they start talking about how much the public schools cost, blah blah. You get as much out of it as you put into it and as I said, if we don't keep with the times and develop a knowledgable workforce, the U.S. will lose out.
You have a tax that you have every year as a home owner. It's funds were set up so that the schools are taken care of. My daughter comes home every other week with paperwork for a new fund raiser because the schools don't enough cash flow to support all activities.
In Cypress with all these big houses and high taxes??!!
I am saying that if had business people in there focusing on where this money is going and fix the bleeding holes and move the cash to where it can do the most good will solve more problems that throwing more money at it until it goes away.
This same theory can used on all levels of government.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #86
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

A person who believes we should restore this country to its fundemental values established by the constitution.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #87
wlgorman

Bike(s):
'06 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
A person who believes we should restore this country to its fundemental values established by the constitution.
+1

defeat
wlgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #88
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLETUS View Post
You have a tax that you have every year as a home owner. It's funds were set up so that the schools are taken care of. My daughter comes home every other week with paperwork for a new fund raiser because the schools don't enough cash flow to support all activities.
In Cypress with all these big houses and high taxes??!!
I am saying that if had business people in there focusing on where this money is going and fix the bleeding holes and move the cash to where it can do the most good will solve more problems that throwing more money at it until it goes away.
This same theory can used on all levels of government.
So, the new president should work on revamping the education system including its financials. Fine with me. I still think teachers need to get paid more.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:24 PM   #89
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Would that work in today's global economy?

Oh, and this would mean that there are no illegals anymore because anyone can just come as they please. :/:
Old 11-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #90
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:
those really have changed too much over years and have evolved to a point where they really aren't the best path moving forward...
But I do understand the intent of returning our country to vision of what it was when it was founded.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #91
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
ML, What does classical education model mean?
Think of it this way, in the early years (grammar school/elementary school) kids are taught the basics in the core curriculum. In the middle years, they begin learning the rudiments of analysis, interpretation, simple rhetorical patterns, etc. By the later years, they should be able to solve complex problems, develop real solutions and articulate those solutions.

It's a very different mode than "teaching to the tests." Kids nowadays may know what an answer is, but they don't know why the answer is what it is. Other countries, Japan for instance, will let students wrangle with a problem for weeks (sometimes longer) until a solution is worked out. If the student can't solve it, the answer isn't given, the instructor backtracks and finds the gap in knowledge that is keeping the kid from working the problem out.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #92
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Think of it this way, in the early years (grammar school/elementary school) kids are taught the basics in the core curriculum. In the middle years, they begin learning the rudiments of analysis, interpretation, simple rhetorical patterns, etc. By the later years, they should be able to solve complex problems, develop real solutions and articulate those solutions.

It's a very different mode than "teaching to the tests." Kids nowadays may know what an answer is, but they don't know why the answer is what it is. Other countries, Japan for instance, will let students wrangle with a problem for weeks (sometimes longer) until a solution is worked out. If the student can't solve it, the answer isn't given, the instructor backtracks and finds the gap in knowledge that is keeping the kid from working the problem out.
Sounds good to me! ... and yes, that is exactly what I was talking about.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #93
Kinny
AONNOG

Bike(s):
None

Send a message via AIM to Kinny
One that has no ties with any corporation. And One that has no ties to our central bank. Like that will ever happen.
Kinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #94
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:

or just teach basic spelling until you get it right... nothing says you are uneducated like misspelling a 4 or 5 letter word. i have known 12 year olds that spell better then a lot of 20 - 30 year olds. it's really pretty sad. i actually saw it more in oklahoma. the first 6 weeks of my calc class was teaching very basic algebra. x+56=90 what is x?
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #95
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Mala Lingua for President.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #96
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Trackdays: 10+

oh and not a free mason

or new world order

or own a business

or has ties to oil business

or weapon businesses

or is rich

or doesnt own guns

or didnt go to a ivy league school

or is part of the skulls

blah blah blah

f-ing stupid

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #97
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
I'm too grim for it. My screensaver at work reads: "If you're happy and you know it, clank your chains."
Old 11-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #98
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:

easy, let's not get carried way. the ability to spell doesn't give one the ability to run a nation.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #99
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
or just teach basic spelling until you get it right... nothing says you are uneducated like misspelling a 4 or 5 letter word. i have known 12 year olds that spell better then a lot of 20 - 30 year olds. it's really pretty sad. i actually saw it more in oklahoma. the first 6 weeks of my calc class was teaching very basic algebra. x+56=90 what is x?
I think I shall unleash the horror on you poor, unsuspecting folks. I've debated whether or not to scan in some of my students' work just to give you guys a taste of Education in America. I'll bring a few choice bits home from my private collection tomorrow. Be warned though. . .it isn't for the faint of heart.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #100
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLETUS View Post
easy, let's not get carried way. the ability to spell doesn't give one the ability to run a nation.
HAHA but its a step in the right direction

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement