MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

Truck buyer gone missing, he left a deposit, how long do I wait

Selling my 98 Ranger on craigslist

I exchange emails with a guy a few times and spoke on the phone. He sends another email on 10/25 saying he wants to buy right a way, as in the next day. I had to put him off a week because I would not be avaliable to complete the sale. He ask several times to send a deposit but I told him no and that I promise to hold the truck, never at any point did I even hint at a deposit.

During the following week we keep up the communication about him coming on 11/2. When the day comes around I get a text saying he can't come but he wants to send 1800.00 as a deposit through Western Union. Reluctantly I say Ok, he sends the money and I pick it up first thing Saturday(11/3) morning. At this point he was suppose to come pick up the truck on Tuesday, when that rolls around he says he can't make it until Friday. I have not heard from him since least week Tuesday, I have tried contacting him.

I thought is was odd that he sends such a large deposit on a truck he has never seen in person. Actually verbally it was clear that is was not only deposit but also a partial pre-payment, meaning he wanted to buy the truck no matter what.

This whole time I am trying to figure out how he is scamming me, but I got cash from Western and the keys and title.

Now what?
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
missing alpinestary left glove missing Texasthunder General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-23-2013 07:00 PM
Buyer Beware! (long read scroll for cliff notes) irishcarbomb General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 08-22-2012 10:23 AM
How long to wait at a stop light? grsa General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 11-27-2010 06:23 PM
f you repair your cell with superglue how long would you wait before useing it? RojerLockless Off Topic 2 01-25-2010 08:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
if you dont hear from him, i wouldnt worry about it, consider it a gift.. keep the truck for a little bit longer, drive it around enjoy it. then if he happens to show back up in a month or so, take off whatever he sent and sell the truck to him
Old 11-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
exactly. As long as you have a phone call and e-mail to back you up incase anything does come up then there is no worries. Just keep in mind something may have come up on his end. job, family, accident who knows..
Old 11-11-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
May wanna keep the money on hand and not invest it in anything until you hear from him, exchange and and close or have to return it
Old 11-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
lorin70

Feedback Rating: (0)

Maybe he was just testing if his fake Western Union transaction would pass through their system. He may turn up at some point and ask for the money back in cash. Or maybe he'll say you just won the lottery in Nigeria and if you send back the 1800 plus another 1000 or so he'll help you claim the millions you just won. Or maybe he's just a very trusting person and will actually want the truck.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
RinasDaddy
When in doubt, restart!

Bike(s):
10 Speed :(

Hold that money. Don't do anything yet. Just wait to see if he pops up.
RinasDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

That's the problem with taking an open ended deposit. Legally you have to hold the vehicle.

Some people pay a deposit and say they're coming in a few days with the remainder.
In reality they're a couple of weeks to month out on being able to afford the vehicle, hence the "disappearing act" till they have the rest of the money.

Unless you have it in writing that the deposit is only good for X number of days, you have some liability.

If you need to move the vehicle now, I'd suggest getting with the DMV or a lawyer to see what your exposure is.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #8
maskale

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

I am in no hurry to move the truck. Its just hard to believe someone is so trusting. If I were a con with fake ID he would be out of 1800 that easy.

I understand your point about the deposit, however we had nothing in writing saying that I would hold the vehicle or that he even gave me a deposit. The only proof is that he gave me 1800 which could have been for anything.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #9
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
seems a little fishy to me as well. but then again, there are some pretty stupid people in this world. i've also had the same situation, except, the guy deposited $1500 cash into my bank account for me to hold the bike (without seeing it as well).....but he actually came through with the rest of the money within a week or so and picked up the bike.

i'm with justin....maybe something came up on his end, family/job/accident issue. i'd give it another week or so......and then sell it to someone else. if the guy contacts you afterwards.....give the guy his money back.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
I put a chash deposit into the bank account of the person I bought my bike from, then it was another two weeks until I could get out there to see the bike, pay the balance, and complete the sale. I wasn't willing to let him get a better offer from anyone else so my deposit made the bike mine.

He and I had decent communication through it all, but it wasn't an every day thing. I think we spoke four times over the two week period.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #12
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskale View Post
Selling my 98 Ranger on craigslist

I exchange emails with a guy a few times and spoke on the phone. He sends another email on 10/25 saying he wants to buy right a way, as in the next day. I had to put him off a week because I would not be avaliable to complete the sale. He ask several times to send a deposit but I told him no and that I promise to hold the truck, never at any point did I even hint at a deposit.

During the following week we keep up the communication about him coming on 11/2. When the day comes around I get a text saying he can't come but he wants to send 1800.00 as a deposit through Western Union. Reluctantly I say Ok, he sends the money and I pick it up first thing Saturday(11/3) morning. At this point he was suppose to come pick up the truck on Tuesday, when that rolls around he says he can't make it until Friday. I have not heard from him since least week Tuesday, I have tried contacting him.

I thought is was odd that he sends such a large deposit on a truck he has never seen in person. Actually verbally it was clear that is was not only deposit but also a partial pre-payment, meaning he wanted to buy the truck no matter what.

This whole time I am trying to figure out how he is scamming me, but I got cash from Western and the keys and title.

Now what?
the payment is probably from an account they do not own. do not spend the money yet.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:39 AM   #13
maskale

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

he called me last night, said his wife was in the hospital

2 weeks after his deposit he is coming today, which is fine, he is just way more trusting than I would ever be.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:04 AM   #14
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:

2 weeks after his deposit he is coming today, which is fine, he is just way more trusting than I would ever be.
Not good about his wife, but that is great he is coming to follow through. Props to you for being the stand up guy and giving him time to take care of private matters. Sometimes after you send the money you can't control what happens to your personal life.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #15
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:

it was awful nice of you to honor his trust in you and leaving a deposit then dissapearing for any reason at all.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #16
maskale

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

well the truck is gone now, it was a good easy sale

On another sad note, I sold a pipe threader to a guy for 1200.00 on ebay. Been a few days now and I get this email from him.

"dear sir i lost my wife and she did paypal so i do not have the code i will pay you next week or if you take credit cards that will work for me call me thank you"

That is sad.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #17
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
well the truck is gone now, it was a good easy sale

On another sad note, I sold a pipe threader to a guy for 1200.00 on ebay. Been a few days now and I get this email from him.

"dear sir i lost my wife and she did paypal so i do not have the code i will pay you next week or if you take credit cards that will work for me call me thank you"

That is sad.
awe wow man, you're really getting it aren't you? western union or cashiers check.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement