MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 08:32 PM   #41
rc51jenn

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
rc51 & gsxr 750

Send a message via Yahoo to rc51jenn
I just got back from TWS (Texas World Speedway) - yes, it was wet and cold and lots of turns had water in them and IT WAS SOOOOOO MUCH FUN SLIDING IN IT ALL!!!

The best part is that I almost had the track whole to myself! I think there was one or two other people out...

C ya.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart TRACK DAY SCHEDULE ADDITION - TWS (Texas World Speedway) - Nov 28, 2009 +Guarantee Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 19 11-09-2009 10:28 PM
28th Nov TWS (Texas World Speedway) Ridesmart Track Day Silent636 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 2 11-09-2009 08:56 PM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
Video from Nov 7th TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track day... jeffrh General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 11-30-2005 09:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #42
Ridesmart

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettech01 View Post
Then why did the guy say in the riders meeting that they had to notify TWS (Texas World Speedway) 72 hours in advance for a refund yet they chose not to, even when the forecasts said it would rain, 90%........Hmmmm me thinks they made a poor choice and so did I......I think will pass on the Ride Smart TD's in the future.
I guess it is alway a human thing to talk about things after they happen.
Like some said, predicting weather in TX is really hard. I have been at about 5 track events where the chance of rain was at least 70%. It did not rain a thing each day, and everyone had a blast.
Some are right, imagine if they did cancel and the weather turned good. Then, that would really be a topic on the forums.

As to the rain policy, we all lose money on this. The people that ride, and the people that organize. Especially when it comes to TWS (Texas World Speedway).
However, I do not think it is fair to say of any organization that they were bad, just because one did not receive a refund or credit.
Sometimes they can give refunds or credit, and sometimes not. I hear TWS (Texas World Speedway) is especially strict on no refunds.
What I remember them saying at the track meeting is that sometimes on Mondays they are able to receive track credit, but that especially TWS (Texas World Speedway) will not refund weekend days since they could have had autos run that day in rain or shine without hesitation (again that is what I got out of it).

So hey, I know it sucks, but it sucks for us all. Riders, organizers, even for the corner workers who had to sit in the rain (trust me those tiny shacks did not provide protection) and watch the brave ones slide through rain.
I am sure all track schools have very similar refund/credit policies. Not just in Texas. Up north it is very similar. Depends on track venues.

So I hope that a rain day does not make up your mind about any track school, because that is not a fair assessment on your part. Do a sunny weather track day with them and then judge.

Wish you all best in the rest of this year, and hope to see some of you in the upcoming 2008 season (which by the way is only about 3 months away).
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #43
MANSON6

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2005 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1 View Post
^ how did he go OVER the bars yet, "manage" to skate beside the bike? we have a david copperfield on the track now?

good save nonetheless.
I think he just got flipped up in the air and it looked like he went over the bars cuz he went thru the turn and throttled it up and it turned into a highside and he got bucked off the bike but managed to hang onto the clipons and save it. It was just the way he flew up in the air which made him look like he flew over the bars, and yes he was dragging his boots on the asphault and You would have had to see it to believe it he saved it.

Last edited by MANSON6; 11-24-2007 at 09:50 PM.
MANSON6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:09 AM   #44
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettech01 View Post
Then why did the guy say in the riders meeting that they had to notify TWS (Texas World Speedway) 72 hours in advance for a refund yet they chose not to, even when the forecasts said it would rain, 90%........Hmmmm me thinks they made a poor choice and so did I......I think will pass on the Ride Smart TD's in the future.
good to see a few more of you have jumped on the train. i have stopped riding with Ride Smart since earlier this year when we had ice and sleet on the track and were told to go out there and be "smooth".

i will continue to boycott them until changes are made. nobody can control the weather....but they have control over the happiness and satisfaction of their customers. they should've at least sucked it up and gave a 1/2 off coupon or something like that.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:53 AM   #45
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
good to see a few more of you have jumped on the train. i have stopped riding with Ride Smart since earlier this year when we had ice and sleet on the track and were told to go out there and be "smooth".

i will continue to boycott them until changes are made. nobody can control the weather....but they have control over the happiness and satisfaction of their customers. they should've at least sucked it up and gave a 1/2 off coupon or something like that.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #46
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
LOL Some of you guys crack me up.

I agree with what Tom & SolRacer said, nothing can be done about the weather policy in terms of canceling a few days before the TD - its Texas i don't know who would cancel and then the riders off in case it were to be a dry day.

As Chris said - Rain riding can teach you to be smooth, it can teach you stuff dry riding can not teach you.

Take it how you will, we motorcyclists pay a price to pay. My regrets to all those that did'nt bother making it or left early.

FWIW -
17 riders in Level 1 (that rode...)
14 riders in Level 2 (that rode...)

Level 3 - 4 had many riders (don't have a count).

Almost everyone that asked for it got many one-on with instructors.

Also credit was given/refunded (by choice of rider) to those that paid for the Bike Cams, and Ty's class 3.

Many riders turned in over 100 miles, the track was really only full of water in Turn 2 & "coming out of" Turn 4. Turn 10 was ultra dry (besides the curbin), the straight was asual fun!

All the other turns had water on the inside or "off" the proper line.

See you all next year

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #47
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
As Chris said - Rain riding can teach you to be smooth, it can teach you stuff dry riding can not teach you.
Sure it can, but I don't typically wake up on a Sunday morning and see rain and then think.....hmmmm, let's go ride in the rain (warm or cold), it'll make me smoother. IF I get caught in the rain, the only place I'm heading is for dry cover (usually home) and I'll putt-putt it all the way there. I have no marbles to get faster in the rain, nor any desire. I ride the track to go fast, not putt-putt around at 35 mph with no lean angle because I'm busy looking for lakes on the track.

Quote:
Take it how you will, we motorcyclists pay a price to pay. My regrets to all those that did'nt bother making it or left early.

FWIW -
17 riders in Level 1 (that rode...)
14 riders in Level 2 (that rode...)

Level 3 - 4 had many riders (don't have a count).

Almost everyone that asked for it got many one-on with instructors.
I'm not gonna mention any names, but when I was speaking with someone who was asked to instruct level 1, he got there and said NO

Great to those who ran, it was probably their first trackday Sure, I could have suited up and ran in the rain, but that's not comfortable for me. My toes were frozen standing in the paddocks let alone riding the track. No thanks I'll accept the fact that as a track participant I should still have to pay for the day, but to make profit off of me when I consider it unsafe riding (regardless of the CMRA rules, etc) and see absolutely NO track time, that is a lack of customer satisfaction, period.

For those arguing the fact that you lose money on "my discounted spot" next time because you couldn't fill the event with another rider, well then that outlook sucks too. You'd rather make your money off of someone who could potentially take the spot as opposed to making your EXISTING customer happy. So, you lose out on that one spot, for that one time and you keep a repeating customer happy.... I think that speaks great numbers over making a new customer. Trust me, I would speak loud and proud of an orginization that did their best to make me happy vs. a track org. that basically says, oh well, make the best of it.

Quote:
Also credit was given/refunded (by choice of rider) to those that paid for the Bike Cams, and Ty's class 3.
FWIW, I could give 2 about those who signed up for bike cams and Ty's class 3 riding school. That probably didn't involve 80%+ of the riders who were signed up for yesterday. But I am glad not everybody got totally screwed.

Quote:
Many riders turned in over 100 miles, the track was really only full of water in Turn 2 & "coming out of" Turn 4. Turn 10 was ultra dry (besides the curbin), the straight was asual fun!

All the other turns had water on the inside or "off" the proper line.
Moe, no offense, but if you can honestly say that riding in 40 degree constant rain is fun....you got a screw loose man. I don't think anybody looks forward to riding in those conditions. As an instructor, I think you hype it up to make those who choose not to ride in the dangerous/poor conditions look like they are missing out. I didn't miss out on sh*t yesterday, except a potential credit I was HOPING for (which I knew before I left probably wasn't going to happen). With all that said I still loaded up and wasted half of my day driving up there to get my own opinion of Ride Smart. Well, I got it....

Quote:
See you all next year
Not unless your riding with a different TD organization. This was my last Ride Smart event.....along with a few others I'm sure.

Sorry to tear your post apart Moe, but no one is whining. I just think ALL TD orgs should probably try and find a new way to overcome this "hiccup" that comes into play every once in a while. We all know that we are paying money and someone is collecting a profit on our participation. What percentage that may be is unknown to me as I have no clue, but it has to be somewhat of a percentage....even if it's 25% profit, then give that back to me as respect and count on getting my business in the future....but to tell me to make the most of it and then expect me to ride in poor conditions is all but fair in my opinion.

Once again, I'm not , but I think there is something that can be done on the TD orgs to make it "better" when the situation is complete .

Thanks for reading,

DBuck

Last edited by dbuck; 11-25-2007 at 01:00 PM.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #48
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7 View Post

Thanks for reading,

DBuck
Sorry you feel that way. But i can understand.

FWIW - i used to ride in the rain MORE before i was an instructor, many people can vouch for that. I feel like i have a big disadvantage compared to some people that started riding when they 4-5 years old. I strated riding at age 18 (street), got a taste of track last year in July. So i got a long way too go. So i will almost "never" give up on an oppurtunity to ride on the track and "not" learn.

I guess i'll see you at some other org's track day or on the street then. Either way see you next time bud.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #49
jettech01
Motorcyle Rider not owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaka View Post
I do not think it is fair to say of any organization that they were bad, just because one did not receive a refund or credit.
Sometimes they can give refunds or credit, and sometimes not. I hear TWS (Texas World Speedway) is especially strict on no refunds.
What I remember them saying at the track meeting is that sometimes on Mondays they are able to receive track credit, but that especially TWS (Texas World Speedway) will not refund weekend days since they could have had autos run that day in rain or shine without hesitation (again that is what I got out of it).

So I hope that a rain day does not make up your mind about any track school, because that is not a fair assessment on your part. Do a sunny weather track day with them and then judge.

Wish you all best in the rest of this year, and hope to see some of you in the upcoming 2008 season (which by the way is only about 3 months away).
Thanks for your feedback, and no my mind is not "made up" about tracks and track day organizers.....I understand that they are out there to make money and Yes I paid my money and take my chances.......

I think we can all agree that riding on the track is the most fun you can have with your pants on......
and in the rain some folks love it and some folks hate it, as for me........
I choose to NOT mess up a new bike to me, and ride in conditions that I felt were LESS than favorable for these 50 yr old bones........but I DEFINATELY am looking forward to a track day some time soon where I can "air it out" as it were.........
jettech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #50
Ridesmart

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

This is some good stuff (aka feedback) for the track orgs.

I will be out there next year. Hope the rain did not scare others from trying out track days. Tom says it well, this late in the year, one cant hope to get a good reading on what the weather will be.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:20 PM   #51
gix1k

Bike(s):
GSXR600 Yamaha Roadstar Ducati 848 2009 GSXR1000 Sold

track

NOOO Not this BS again. The way I see it when you sign up its with the knowledge that its rain or shine and I don't care who is running the show. I've ridden with various track Orgs from here to Florida and I've been to Shwantz Suzuki school and it's all the same rain or shine unless its deemed to dangerous. If you're one that has made a decision like me not to ride in the rain than you run the risk of paying money and not riding. Now I dont like that but that is my choice and I figure whats $170 compared to a ride to the hospital and all the bills, pain and agony that goes along with that ride. I'm also one that sees no point in riding in the rain and I can learn to be smooth on dry pavement.
Anyway my o2 for what its worth
gix1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #52
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Not sure how this is BS, this is feedback. I'm not raising with any one org.....but rather emphasizing that there should be a better rain policy across the board with all local track orgs.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:09 PM   #53
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #54
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

buck totally has my business...the weather forecast was and he cancelled the event. In the short run i am sure he takes a hit, but in the long run he more than makes up for it with happy customers and positive feedback.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #55
gix1k

Bike(s):
GSXR600 Yamaha Roadstar Ducati 848 2009 GSXR1000 Sold

t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7 View Post
Not sure how this is BS, this is feedback. I'm not raising with any one org.....but rather emphasizing that there should be a better rain policy across the board with all local track orgs.

Well I'm not necessarily pionting a finger at any one person but I've seen this thread before and it seems a lot of people are bashing ridesmart. But all track day orgs have similar policies rain or shine. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the owners of the tracks are the real problem because they want their money wether you use it or not. I think their position is that they could have rented to a car Org and get paid no matter what so again another instance of bikers being treated as step children--no respect.

As far as riding in the rain to learn how to be smooth well that is true if your going to actually use it in a race. All I'm saying is for me track riding is dangerous enough in good conditions why push it when its raining especially when there is no need to. So unless your trying to improve for racing or you just don't mind riding in the rain and are willing to take the risk whats the point.

P.S I have ridden in the rain on the track and for me its not enjoyable, a personnal choice everybody needs to make.

Yes two thumbs up for Buck I was scheduled to ride and missed going but I'm glad he made that decision to cancel, it would have been a miserable day.

Last edited by gix1k; 11-25-2007 at 06:37 PM.
gix1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:19 PM   #56
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

I've raced in the rain, practiced in the rain, and ridden on the street in the rain. I've done track days that weren't pre-race days that were damp, but I've always chosen not to ride when it was raining at those days.

I hear all the comments, and think some of them are constructive and useful

Some track day orgs have to rent the track, and will lose money (via credits). There are those orgs that are lucky and don't have to pay track rental, and they won't lose money.

Nobody is in any business to lose money (and this is a part-time job for the owners of LSTD, I don't know about the others), even if it's a side gig. Obviously, there has to be some money made to make it worth-while for all the hassles and work that goes in to that production.

I can assure all that we'll continue to do what we can to keep our patrons happy- knowing all the while that you will never be successful in making them all happy. We gave out a ton of credits this year for weather related event issues, and I'm sure next year won't be different- but I hope that it is (I hope we don't have any foul weather events)!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #57
johnnyblade

I had a blast!

You have to be prepared rain or shine hot or cold. You all buy fans for the heat buy a rain suit for the rain? You play you pay. You got your good track days and your bad tracks days suk it up guys and gals. If the entry fee is going to make you go bankrupt maybe you ought to rethink your priorities?

I rode the black 05 gsxr1k with the rain races and a red rain suit. Rode from 830-330. Stopped for lunch and gas twice other than that I was out all day. My leathers never got wet. I was warm (sweating) under the suit. Fingers were good but toes were a bit cold but not to bad.

Made the best of it and HAVE A BLAST. Sorry for the others who did not but come on make the best of it.

I ride most all Ride Smart events and a few LSTD here and there. I prefer LSTD but my friends ride Ride Smart.

Next year will be here soon GET READY now for it. It is all about having fun and learning to be a better rider.

John Oliveira in San Antonio
johnnyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #58
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #59
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
in both this past february and last it was colder than yesterday and the track was wet just like yesterday, and we all raced in that . i chose not to rid yesterday because there was nothing in it for me except possibly a cold and a wrecked bike. and seeing as how i have felt like for 2 weeks there was no way in i was gonna ride
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:13 PM   #60
johnnyblade

Naw Jimmy just a lurking around. Someone had mentioned you alls board and another one. So sitting around reading threads ...... getting ready for work tomorrow ... back to my lurkering have a good one.....
johnnyblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement