MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #81
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Absolutely. The swingarm is pulling up, trying to yank the bolt out of the eye of the bracket that tore. The bottom hole pivots on the dogbone. A real hard shot that the shock couldn't absorb would pull it apart.
I think it is from blunt force.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Wreck Sunday humbleassassin General Discussion (Moto Related) 79 09-14-2011 05:53 PM
Suspension Class Sunday February 6th @ Motorcycles Unlimited Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 28 02-06-2011 11:27 PM
?FAILURE? gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 07-05-2009 11:40 AM
iShock failure!?!?! TheMagicMan Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 23 05-23-2009 05:31 PM
EPIC FAILURE chrisd Off Topic 24 07-26-2008 08:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #82
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

i belive that it could have broken before the crash... but a crash could definately do it as well. if you have some repelling gear that is aluminum, dropping it could result in a hairline fracture. it may work for a little while but just suddenly give out. maybe something happened with that individual part to put a hairline fracture or a burr to cause it to break.

and as far as witnesses go, unless they wrote down exactly what they saw after they saw it, the satement may not be real accurate. many people even after 15 minutes, are a little hazy in what EXACTLY happened
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #83
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i belive that it could have broken before the crash... but a crash could definately do it as well. if you have some repelling gear that is aluminum, dropping it could result in a hairline fracture. it may work for a little while but just suddenly give out. maybe something happened with that individual part to put a hairline fracture or a burr to cause it to break.

and as far as witnesses go, unless they wrote down exactly what they saw after they saw it, the satement may not be real accurate. many people even after 15 minutes, are a little hazy in what EXACTLY happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
no offense matt, but i saw the bike just after your wreck, and it showed no signs of being a mechanical failure. the eyewitness accounts from the rider behind you doesn't support it either. the eyewitness says you went wide, hit the gravel, lost traction, caught, highsided, and off you went.
:dontknow:

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #84
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

From the 675 forum, another guy has broken a couple:

I have had that piece of break... TWICE..... on TWO separate bikes!!! I constructed my own bracket from steel by using the stock pieces as the template. Granted, mine were from "stunting" the bike and having a couple lay downs, but the thing breaks so easily. When you get a chance just take a look at any other sport bike's linkage, it'll be a ton more "beefy" than the fragile linkage on the triumph.

Sounds like it doesn't hold up too well from sharp impacts.....
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #85
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post

except the eyewitness account was from just 2 minutes after the crash. kinda hard to forget what happened in 2 minutes. what he's failing to mention is the gravel that was kicked up all over the road from his tire, danny had to sweep it off with his foot. if you look at his rear tire, you see all the white powder from the gravel, and it's not from after the wreck, because the bike slid across the road, and then into the grass. the only gravel anywhere near the bike was from the exit of the turn, where he went wide. the tire shows absolutely no signs of spinning on the exhaust, nor does the exhaust show any signs of it. so the linkage breaking before the wreck just doesn't make sense.

Matt was riding/following a girl on an RC51 who was constantly giving him tips. She decided to go ride at the front of the pack for a while to get up to her pace, and not 5 minutes later, Matt wrecked. Several people who were behind him said they got kinda spooked at his apparent erratic riding at times, and passed him to keep themselves away from him.

Like I said, no offense to Matt, or anyone else, but I HIGHLY doubt it was a mechanical failure that caused the accident.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #86
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
From the 675 forum, another guy has broken a couple:

I have had that piece of break... TWICE..... on TWO separate bikes!!! I constructed my own bracket from steel by using the stock pieces as the template. Granted, mine were from "stunting" the bike and having a couple lay downs, but the thing breaks so easily. When you get a chance just take a look at any other sport bike's linkage, it'll be a ton more "beefy" than the fragile linkage on the triumph.

Sounds like it doesn't hold up too well from sharp impacts.....
keep in mind, they broke AFTER THE FACT. they weren't the cause for a lay down.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #87
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

Which brings me back to my metalurgical statement.
I maybe now of you guys do failure analysis for your companies...
Old 11-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #88
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
keep in mind, they broke AFTER THE FACT. they weren't the cause for a lay down.
Absolutely.. sorry if I sounded otherwise...
Old 11-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #89
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
except the eyewitness account was from just 2 minutes after the crash. kinda hard to forget what happened in 2 minutes. what he's failing to mention is the gravel that was kicked up all over the road from his tire, danny had to sweep it off with his foot. if you look at his rear tire, you see all the white powder from the gravel, and it's not from after the wreck, because the bike slid across the road, and then into the grass. the only gravel anywhere near the bike was from the exit of the turn, where he went wide. the tire shows absolutely no signs of spinning on the exhaust, nor does the exhaust show any signs of it. so the linkage breaking before the wreck just doesn't make sense.

Matt was riding/following a girl on an RC51 who was constantly giving him tips. She decided to go ride at the front of the pack for a while to get up to her pace, and not 5 minutes later, Matt wrecked. Several people who were behind him said they got kinda spooked at his apparent erratic riding at times, and passed him to keep themselves away from him.

Like I said, no offense to Matt, or anyone else, but I HIGHLY doubt it was a mechanical failure that caused the accident.
first i have heard of any of that, but nonetheless, glad he'll be ok and able to ride again
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #90
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

that's because no one involved bothered to ask anyone that saw the wreck what happened besides myself. and no one has contacted any of them since it happened either. they, along with myself, had to leave shortly after the accident occured due to other engagements.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #91
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

I like chicken

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #92
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretagent
so the linkage breaking before the wreck just doesn't make sense.
I don't think anyone is arguing to the contrary. I think we're debating the forces used either compression, torsion, or tension/ shear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus
Which brings me back to my metalurgical statement.
I maybe now of you guys do failure analysis for your companies...
Clearly your metalurgical background is superior to your spelling prowess.

Just razzin' you on that, but yes, I have a background in accident investigation, kenetics and have my share of experience there.
As for metalugical testing, I have experience in that too, specifically with aluminum.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #93
didimao0072000

Bike(s):
50cc metropolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLETUS View Post
Put your front tire against a wall and use the friction zone on your clutch and see which way the back of your bike moves.
In Cletus's defense, it is in the book "a twist of the wrist ll". it's right there on page 14. i was scratching my head when i read this a while back because this doesn't make sense. watching hundreds of videos on drag bikes, you can clearly see that the end squat on throttle. also, if the back rises with throttle, rear weight transfer wouldn't happen in corners; you would lose rear traction with using throttle during corners which is against all rules physics..
didimao0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #94
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
As for metalugical testing, I have experience in that too, specifically with aluminum.
You haven't worked in the helicopter field have ya
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #95
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

i have a question. does the triangular linkage piece roate about the dogbone?
dogboneLeftmedium001ed

Last edited by hotnanas; 11-09-2007 at 12:24 PM. Reason: [IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd45/hotnanas/cliff%20investigates/dogboneLeftmedium001ed.jpg[/IMG]
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #96
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool
Quote:
Originally Posted by didimao0072000 View Post
if the back rises with throttle, rear weight transfer wouldn't happen in corners; you would lose rear traction with using throttle during corners which is against all rules physics..
try it... if you get on the gas hard enough you'll do an endo!
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #97
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

I do failure analysis for my company when I see it fit. I have to do all kinds of when something breaks from a failure.

On another note,
I have seen freaky stuff happen before personally. I managed to shear all of my bolts on my rear sprocket while getting ready to enter a turn on FM949. I know that they were all torqued properly the last time I did a sproket change which was about 18,000 miles previously. The chain ended up flying up into my case breaking it as well as locking up the rear wheel. I didn't crash though...I just rode it out.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #98
nutmegchoi
Go girls!

Bike(s):
2013 CBR600RR Repsol

You used the same sprocket for 18,000 miles, Brian???
Weren't they sharp as needles???
nutmegchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #99
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
dogboneLeftmedium001ed
Actually, point 2, the dogbone, pivots the other way as the swingarm rises. Point 1 on the shock goes up, not down.

Basically the swingarm pulls up and back on point 3, point 2 pivots, and point 1 pushes up against the shock. So the maximum tension load on the bracket is at point 3, where it tore.

Another thread on an identical failure, due to a crash...

http://www.triumph675.net/phpBB2/vie...8d73aa4f407f0f
Old 11-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #100
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
I think #1 drives rotation on 2 and 3. Under compression 2 and 3 would rotate CCW. Im just assuming from looking at the pic of the good bike. if 3 doesn't rotate then yeah I think your pics would be accurate.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."

Last edited by Capafool; 11-09-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement