MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #21
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

This group is no more a danger to others than any group of bikes is dangerous. The ones that prefer a spirited ride will do it whether in a group or solo. We all know if is safer to ride in groups.
I see groups like this on 1458 and I see them on 3097. To say one group is more dangerous than any other is not founded.

To that point, this Group will allow any rider at any riding level to join. There is an inherent risk in that alone and I think that might be the reason this group may have a higher incident rate than other. But everyone must be given an opportunity to increase their skills and this group provides that.
I think that this is the reason that it is so strongly stressed at these rides that you ride within your capabilties with skill in reserve. It is still the choice of the individual.

Personally, I ride in the back of the group because it is such a beautiful ride that I like to take my time being out in the country and getting away from it all. I am in no hurry and they always wait for me and will come looking if I don't show.

My $0.02
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Wreck Sunday humbleassassin General Discussion (Moto Related) 79 09-14-2011 05:53 PM
Suspension Class Sunday February 6th @ Motorcycles Unlimited Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 28 02-06-2011 11:27 PM
?FAILURE? gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 07-05-2009 11:40 AM
iShock failure!?!?! TheMagicMan Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 23 05-23-2009 05:31 PM
EPIC FAILURE chrisd Off Topic 24 07-26-2008 08:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #22
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLETUS View Post
This group is no more a danger to others than any group of bikes is dangerous. The ones that prefer a spirited ride will do it whether in a group or solo. We all know if is safer to ride in groups.
I see groups like this on 1458 and I see them on 3097. To say one group is more dangerous than any other is not founded.

To that point, this Group will allow any rider at any riding level to join. There is an inherent risk in that alone and I think that might be the reason this group may have a higher incident rate than other. But everyone must be given an opportunity to increase their skills and this group provides that.
I think that this is the reason that it is so strongly stressed at these rides that you ride within your capabilties with skill in reserve. It is still the choice of the individual.

Personally, I ride in the back of the group because it is such a beautiful ride that I like to take my time being out in the country and getting away from it all. I am in no hurry and they always wait for me and will come looking if I don't show.

My $0.02
I dont doubt that its fun, , I'd dig the heck out of it, would probably, or most assuredly be one that others are waiting for at the next light though. I also agree, the groups of all the Harley folks with little or no experience, little or no gear, are no safer even though they are not hauling . they really scare me

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #23
Blue91

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
Get off your high horse Scoot. You telling me you've never accelerated out of a curve and ended up at 60mph at the end of a 45mph turn on your bike? You're the one who does burnouts while going WOT on the hwy shifting gears, aren't you?

Pot, I'd like to introduce you to the Kettle...

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #24
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
people are talking sideways about your accident? Hmm, maybe I missed that...glad you made it out alright.... Jimmy's rides are nice, does a good job of explaining the rules, everyone man for themselves. Just not for everyone, but talking sideways I think is a little extreme.:/: Count your blessings man
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #25
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue91 View Post
Get off your high horse Scoot. You telling me you've never accelerated out of a curve and ended up at 60mph at the end of a 45mph turn on your bike? You're the one who does burnouts while going WOT on the hwy shifting gears, aren't you?

Pot, I'd like to introduce you to the Kettle...
funny stuff, another commenting on me w/o knowing any facts. good stuff einstein.

nope, never said I didnt speed, in fact, if you would read two posts down from the one your commenting on. (funny, sure makes your "pot and kettle" comment pretty lame 'eh?)
and yup, I likes to do rolling burnouts, but not on roads with curves and highways and peoples in cars. I may goof off on my street in front of the house (I live on a cul de sac), I may goof off on a vacant straight portion going to my shop in the wee early morning hours. Never do highway stunts or burnouts etc etc , thats insane and asking for a casket early, plus I ride a Hardley, it don't wheelie to well.
I never said I didnt goof off, I just show some restraint, and I seriously dont want to be in a RIP thread, so it calms my twistin' wrist attitude.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
Old 11-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #26
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

^ also, how many times have you seen me start threads about someone going down on a ride with us? answer = none.

How many threads have you seen "rider down" from a "spirited" group ride started here? answer = weekly, no doubt

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 11-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #27
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

It looks to me like there was a highside with the landing causing the compression to break the dogbone.
I could be wrong though
Old 11-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #28
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
It looks to me like there was a highside with the landing causing the compression to break the dogbone.
I could be wrong though

Have a pic of the way this part mounts? It looks an aweful lot like tension rather than compression. Look at the way it broke, the "top" of the mount broke, like it was pulled (tension or torsion maybe).

Got one Swift?

I agree with everyone else, looks like the result of the crash, not the cause.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #29
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Have a pic of the way this part mounts? It looks an aweful lot like tension rather than compression. Look at the way it broke, the "top" of the mount broke, like it was pulled (tension or torsion maybe).

Got one Swift?

I'll get a pics tonight
Old 11-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #30
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:

Got one Swift?

I also like looking at stuff like this and trying to figure it out. interesting stuff

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 11-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #31
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:

Got one Swift?

I agree....failure would have happened on the "bottom of the mount" or from the top of the mount above the shock...looks like a crash result, not a crash factor.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:03 AM   #32
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7 View Post
I agree....failure would have happened on the "bottom of the mount" or from the top of the mount above the shock...looks like a crash result, not a crash factor.
Well if that part would fail, I don't think it would fail in the direction it shows in the pics. That looks like a result, not a cause to me (and yeah, I've seen my share...).
Old 11-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #33
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

i thought the same thing when reading the thread and viewing the pics. i personally have no experience with that bike, but from the looks of it, it would have had to break on the opposite side.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #34
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

What group ride was this crash on?

I don't even think you need to say
Old 11-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #35
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Pics?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #36
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
Pics?
there is a link to a 675 forum in his first post which has pics.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:28 AM   #37
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
RightSideRear

if the rear did infact break while in the turn, wouldnt the rear tire show wear marks from it rubbing to a stop? even moving the bike onto the trailer would of put some marks on the tire. unless you picked the whole bike up and walked it into the truck.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #38
Brena23
Mothernugget

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

DogboneRightMedium
dogboneLeftmedium001

There are other pics of the damage to the bike but will wait for the ok to post them up from the owner of the bike.

Satan ButtNuggets Mothernugget
Brena23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #39
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

I would say it broke after the bike flipped and smacked the subframe. (according to the pics) So, the question is.. Have you contacted Triumph?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:42 AM   #40
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
So, the question is.. Have you contacted Triumph?
Why? Look at the pics, I doubt there's any way that broke before the crash. You can see the top part of the bracket still in the bolt. For it to break from compression, it would have had to rotate and then break. You can see in the pics that it broke cleanly downward with torsion or tension (twisting or pulling).

Triumph shouldn't have responsibility there... of course, these are pics and it may look different in person, but those pics are pretty telling IMHO.

Not to mention, with all the people racing these bikes, a "flaw" with design like is implied by the owner would have surfaced by now.

Advertisement