MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
ix09

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2007 Triumph Daytona 675

Send a message via AIM to ix09
Post Suspension Failure; my wreck this last Sunday

Hi all.
I have been hearing some rumors that some peeps are all talking sideways about the host of a certain regular Sunday morning ride, especially after the get off I had this last recent Sunday.

First off, the ride organizer was not at fault for the spill I had. Also, I was not riding outside my skill level.
There was a designated pointer and a sweeper on the ride, and the rules before the ride were discussed thoroughly. Everyone was encouraged to ride their OWN ride, and not try keeping up with the faster riders. At every intersection, the entire group waited for all the slower riders as well, not taking off until the sweeper had caught up.

Now, lets talk about my wreck, unconsciousness, hospitalization and so forth.
The wreck i had occurred on a 45mph posted curve. I had just slowed down to about 15mph as there was some farm equipment trundling along the road and it was not clear to pass for a few moments. I made the pass, and got into the curve at about 60mph. We had already been riding a good 2 or 3 hours already, and my tires were already nice and warmed up from all the 30mph and 40mph curves I had been taking at much much faster speeds. Doing 60mph in a posted 45mph curve should have been nothing.
Unfortunately, my bike then decided to have a suspension failure.
The monoshock under the rear of the bike detached itself from the triangular bracket assembly at the bottom of the suspension. When the tail of the bike dropped about a foot, hit the rear tire, my lean became a high-side.

If you want to get a better look at what happened, with pictures here is a link to the discussion that is going on about my bike and the failure that occurred.

The ride organizer was not at fault, nor was I coerced in any way to ride beyond my skill level. I didn't see anyone being badgered or shamed into riding past their skill limits. When ever I get my bike back from being fixed, I'll go on the ride again. I had a great time and want to finish the darned ride.

There were about 12 people on the ride, and out of them, only 3 stayed and waited around for my lazy to get out of the hospital bed. One of those that stayed was the ride organizer. As to the rest of the peeps that didn't schlep about in the hospital waiting room, I didn't need a dozen sweaty that i barely know waiting for me to check out. I got no animosity or bad feelings for anyone that went home. Peeps that stayed get extra points. Peeps that left, don't lose any.

Thus, as far as any rumors that might be circulating about regarding a "dangerous" Sunday ride, I didn't see anything dangerous about it. Everyone had proper gear, and everyone took to the rules and the numbers.
Then again, according to my mom, ALL motorcycles and speeds over 45mph are dangerous.

That's my couple of cents on the issue.
Thanks for coming, stop by again any time.
ix09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Wreck Sunday humbleassassin General Discussion (Moto Related) 79 09-14-2011 05:53 PM
Suspension Class Sunday February 6th @ Motorcycles Unlimited Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 28 02-06-2011 11:27 PM
?FAILURE? gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 07-05-2009 11:40 AM
iShock failure!?!?! TheMagicMan Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 23 05-23-2009 05:31 PM
EPIC FAILURE chrisd Off Topic 24 07-26-2008 08:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Well said. I would not stand by and let anyone slander Jimmy for the SMR.. I personally have not been on as many as some but not once was I... or anyone I've seen. Ever coerced into riding beyond there skill level or made fun of for riding slow.

Everyone that goes knows to do only for themselves. Jimmy is a standup guy and I remember at one point in the ride him stopping us and pointing out that there would be some turns after hills.. and giving riding advice to help people stay safe. If u act crazy/hurt yourself its purely your fault. Your in control of your machine
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #3
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

i'm freaked out now because my wife rides an 97 675 as well. Hope it all works out for you
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

How did the bike "drop about a foot" when the break appears to be at the top of the linkage? It looks like it broke at tension, not compression, which is where the force would be if you were in a curve...

It would break like that if you high sided and the torsion of the wheel snapped the linkage.

Just sayin'.

As for the "ride organizer", if anyone would ride with me on the street (and have in the past), you're on your own. Don't try to follow me or keep up if you're not comfortable. I don't know what "discussion" you're referring to though.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
How did the bike "drop about a foot" when the break appears to be at the top of the linkage? It looks like it broke at tension, not compression, which is where the force would be if you were in a curve...

It would break like that if you high sided and the torsion of the wheel snapped the linkage.

Just sayin'.

As for the "ride organizer", if anyone would ride with me on the street (and have in the past), you're on your own. Don't try to follow me or keep up if you're not comfortable. I don't know what "discussion" you're referring to though.

the triangle is basically the pivot. On my rc it is solid aluminum. on the 675 it is 2 thin pieces. It always made me say hummm...but now I say oh, snap! I just checked out ours and it seems ok. Going to be a spot to look at on the pre-trip inspections.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
i'm sure there will be a recall or a safety warning out about it. just need to check with triumph... glad to see you made it out ok though!
Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post

Just sayin'.

i highly doubt it was a part failure....or else you'd have a lawsuit at hand with the manufacturer.

i've know a few 675 guys that beat the outta their bike.....and then take it on the track and rail it.....i think the crash caused it to snap.

glad you're okay, and hope you learned something from this crash.....or prepare to crash again. if you truly believe your suspension failed you and didn't break from crashing....then maybe you should get rid of your bike and find another.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #8
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post

i highly doubt it was a part failure....or else you'd have a lawsuit at hand with the manufacturer.

i've know a few 675 guys that beat the outta their bike.....and then take it on the track and rail it.....i think the crash caused it to snap.

glad you're okay, and hope you learned something from this crash.....or prepare to crash again. if you truly believe your suspension failed you and didn't break from crashing....then maybe you should get rid of your bike and find another.

Keep in mind this bike design is only 2 years old...anything could happen. I'm going to keep an eye on mine just in case.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #9
Warpbender
warped and bent

Bike(s):
'07 Yammy FZ1 "the faster blue one"
'04 DR650se (sold)

Member Garage

I am trying to save my bike (DR650se) from the 400 mi. Sunday ride so I'm not going every weekend, but I will ride at least once a month as long as Jimmy Don't razz me for passing him!

Life is too short not to ride nekkid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
So keep talking chit or try it.
Warpbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Glad to hear you're o.k. relatively speaking.

As far as blaming ANY ride organizer, well, we're all big boys & girls here. No one "makes" us ride over our head.

Did your bike get airborne?
It appeared it either snapped from a hard hit to the rear or under extreme compression.
That's a bike I wouldn't mind seeing first hand to evaluate the failure.

Where is the bike currently at?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by ix09 View Post
Hi all.
I have been hearing some rumors that some peeps are all talking sideways about the host of a certain regular Sunday morning ride, especially after the get off I had this last recent Sunday.
thats because these people have nothing better to do than talk about him. I have been on several of his rides and will continue to attend them, if you notice the only people that talk about him and his ride are people that have never been on it. However the people that have attended his rides have nothing but good things to say....
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #12
FLYIN'DUC

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

I agree 100% Jimmy is a great guy, and never makes fun of people for not being as fast as others, I have been on the rides and would go again, We all take a risk getting on one ofthese things, and it is a high risk sport, we all know this, and accept this, I have not seen anyone on this ride, ride above their limits, sometimes stuff happens, just like in this case and fortunately Matt is ok, for the most part, what happened could have happened to anyone of us, We are in a risky sport if U dont like go take up golf, or something less risky, Jimmy does a great job, that is all
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #13
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Back to subject. Thread seems to not be about "the ride" so don't let ot become about the "ride". Back to the said failure.

(btw glad your ok)
Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #14
Los
Gang Member

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6

Send a message via AIM to Los
you fat .....

jk

Glad you are okay.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #15
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

tango 1300?
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #16
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
tango 1300?

looks like he's on every forum known to man

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:59 AM   #17
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar954r View Post
Well said. I would not stand by and let anyone slander Jimmy for the SMR.. I personally have not been on as many as some but not once was I... or anyone I've seen. Ever coerced into riding beyond there skill level or made fun of for riding slow.

Everyone that goes knows to do only for themselves. Jimmy is a standup guy and I remember at one point in the ride him stopping us and pointing out that there would be some turns after hills.. and giving riding advice to help people stay safe. If u act crazy/hurt yourself its purely your fault. Your in control of your machine
I second that. Jimmy is a stand up guy and his rides are the best organized that I have been on. It truly would be an individuals fault to act crazy and get hurt.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:17 AM   #18
level5
moving chicane

it's good to see you made it out.

Was there any witness/sweeper seeing this accident?
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:43 AM   #19
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ix09 View Post
Hi all.

First off, the ride organizer was not at fault for the spill I had. Also, I was not riding outside my skill level.
There was a designated pointer and a sweeper on the ride, and the rules before the ride were discussed thoroughly. Everyone was encouraged to ride their OWN ride, and not try keeping up with the faster riders. At every intersection, the entire group waited for all the slower riders as well, not taking off until the sweeper had caught up.

Now, lets talk about my wreck, unconsciousness, hospitalization and so forth.
The wreck i had occurred on a 45mph posted curve. I had just slowed down to about 15mph as there was some farm equipment trundling along the road and it was not clear to pass for a few moments. I made the pass, and got into the curve at about 60mph. We had already been riding a good 2 or 3 hours already, and my tires were already nice and warmed up from all the 30mph and 40mph curves I had been taking at much much faster speeds. Doing 60mph in a posted 45mph curve should have been nothing.
sure its nothing if your on a swept and clean track, but daily driven streets with sand, gravel, dead critters, pine needles, etc etc etc. Glad your ok and glad you didnt hurt anybody else.
You defend the Sunday ride like it is a well organized activity, your totally missing the point of all the dangers your group poses to innocent others using the public roadways as they were meant to be used.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:51 AM   #20
KMFT
WHLS UP

Bike(s):
06 Honda CBR 1000RR

I've been on the SMR with the boys, and had nothing less than a BLAST! And like it has been said, everyone has to make thier own decisions. At every stop sign was the rest of the group waiting on my slow . lol

Advertisement