MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007, 12:50 AM   #1
FasterFaster

Feedback Rating: (0)

HOW MUCH TO RACE??

i really really want to learn to ride the track but im not sure how much it will cost me. what do i need to know and does the fact that i ride a litre bike and im a track noob play a role in my ability to ride the track? i know a 1k is a big bike for a noob but i don't have a 600.

also anything else i should know? thanks guys.
FasterFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free motorcross race tickets - Race in Cedar Park Tx coquizinha General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-28-2012 11:58 AM
WHAT A RACE !!!! Cornerjunkie General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-04-2011 09:35 AM
1/8 mile drags race new date now big race oldman650r Events, Meets and Rides 24 07-17-2007 09:21 PM
Road Race / Drag Race Sections Scorpio Forum Updates & Feedback 7 02-25-2006 06:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2007, 12:53 AM   #2
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
The cost depends on the riding school that puts on the event. I'm sure some1 else will chime in with price ranges. I know one thing for sure DO NOT take any turns in 1st gear. I think thats all I can contribute.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:55 AM   #3
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Oh also be aware that once you go to the track and take a hit off the track pipe you may become addicted and feel compelled to buy another bike and put race plastics on it.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:35 AM   #4
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterFaster View Post
i really really want to learn to ride the track but im not sure how much it will cost me. what do i need to know and does the fact that i ride a litre bike and im a track noob play a role in my ability to ride the track? i know a 1k is a big bike for a noob but i don't have a 600.

also anything else i should know? thanks guys.
Having that big a bike means you will have to be smooth, if your not then you will be on the ground and hurting. I would suggest going to one of Bucks trackday to get started. It is the best 175 you will ever spend. Just go out and ask tons of questions they will be glad to help you.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
and a trackday is not a race day.

trackdays and racedays are 2 VERY different things.

i'm assuming you are asking about trackdays. so i'll suggest Longhorn Motorcycles School and Lone Star Track Days for your learning purposes. they usually range from $150-$200. Longhorn Motorcyle School is close to home and is $175 with EXCELLENT instruction. Lonestar trackdays are spread out at different tracks, but they offer great instruction as well.

being on a literbike will only mean you have to be more smooth with the throttle so you don't end up eating pavement. same goes for street riding, so if that's all you got...might as well learn how to keep that bike in check...it's a lot better to wreck out on the track then to wreck out on the streets. the trackday will help you learn yourself and your bike, and the real way to ride it.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
sweeney1186

Bike(s):
00 SV650 superbike
06 FJR 1300

You can start doing trackdays on your 1k,but in the long run you would be better off picking up a cheap track only bike.There are some decent ones out there for around $3k
CMRA # 78, Team EDS #56 F2 Endurance
sweeney1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post

Very good point

Tracktime can lead to racing but trackdays are not intended to be RACE days.
This is how alot of people get hurt
Old 11-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #8
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:31 AM   #9
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #10
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:

i'm assuming you are asking about trackdays. so i'll suggest Longhorn Motorcycles School and Lone Star Track Days for your learning purposes. they usually range from $150-$200. Longhorn Motorcyle School is close to home and is $175 with EXCELLENT instruction. Lonestar trackdays are spread out at different tracks, but they offer great instruction as well.

being on a literbike will only mean you have to be more smooth with the throttle so you don't end up eating pavement. same goes for street riding, so if that's all you got...might as well learn how to keep that bike in check...it's a lot better to wreck out on the track then to wreck out on the streets. the trackday will help you learn yourself and your bike, and the real way to ride it.
+1 Well put!

There's currently a bunch of track day organizations out there competing for your dollar.

Some of the more established ones are; Lonestar/LSTD, Longhorn/LMS and Ridesmart.
I know both Lonestar/LSTD and Ridesmart offer structured classsroom instruction coupled with on track instruction.

I'm not sure if Longhorn/LMS offers structured classes, but you can pm Buck and he can give you all the details you'll need.

Ask around, talk to the people who have been doing this for awhile (more than a few months) and get their opinions.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Regarding suspension and tires, you don't have to have a worked up suspension and race rubber to get started racing. I have a friend that did very well in F40 with an almost completely stock bike. He uses race rubber, but the suspension is stock, stock clipons, stock rearsets, etc.

Street rubber holds up fine, and can handle a lot more than some seem to think. Some of the really fast guys (like John Haner, professional racer) can go post some incredible times on street rubber.

Good instruction goes a long way, and LSTD has some of the best, at a whole bunch of tracks across the state. You can also get good instruction from Buck's track days at the track in Pearland.

Here are some of the costs:
Track day prior to race: $160
Fuel- I usually figure 5 gallons per hour and usually end up using about 3 gallons per hour. You'll get about 3-4 hours of on-track time at a typical track day, and sprint races usually last about 5 laps at ~2 mins a lap for a new racer.
Tires- ~$350 set, one set will last depending on your riding style and how fast you are
Oil- I change my oil after every race weekend, and every other track day
Chain/ sprockets- I've had chains last all season, some even longer, or have some that only last a couple of race weekends. I'd stay away from 520 chains and sprockets for a while, the steel stock sprockets and 525 chains last a lot longer in my experience.
Spares- You can never have enough spares. I carry all kinds of spares and constantly accumulate more. Spare clip-ons, spare sprockets, fairing stays, rearsets, pegs, chains, fuel tank, wheels... etc. None of this is necessary to race, but it sure helps!
Transportation to and from + lodging- I have a 3/4 diesel and get about 15mpg while hauling my trailer. You don't have to have a trailer, and I would get about 18mpg if I just put everything in the bed of the truck, the trailer is really nice to have and can save you lodging costs (the one I have is a toy hauler). Otherwise, it's about $15 at most tracks to camp, $10 to get in. Transportation and lodging has become one of the biggest expenses here lately.
Safety gear- THIS IS WHERE YOU SHOULD SPEND A LOT MORE OF YOUR MONEY!!!! Good set of leathers will cost $600+, usually about $1000. Stick with the name brands that other racers will endorse like AGV, Alpine Star, Syed, Vanson. Do NOT skimp on safety equipment, but a good helmet, gloves and boots. Sometimes, especially now in the off season, you can find awesome deals on Ebay, or Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited has great close-outs about this time for sale. You will spend at or above $2000 for safety equipment- do this instead of buying that $2000 Akropovic exhaust system and your body will likely thank you!

On November 18th, we're having a benefit track day for Alrova at Grand Sport Speedway in Hitchcock (south Houston). We're providing free instruction, we'll have a special group and one on one instruction for people who are new to the track, and the cost of the track day is only $140 for the whole day including instruction! You can get with trackleather.com and rent leathers for a really reasonable cost too- top-of-the-line gear, outfitted with full leathers, gloves and boots!
Old 11-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #12
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Your first few trackdays will not be as expensive as they will get later. Your first few you can just run your bike as is, w/ the regular sport tires you have. You can easily run your first 3 or 4 trackdays by just having to pay for the trackday fee itself, gas for your bike that day, and expenses getting to and from the track.

This is assuming you already have full leather gear/boots/gloves,etc. If not, that will be the biggest expense to get started. But, you could always rent gear if you want to test it out before you commit more finances to it.

Once you get involved w/ trackdays you'll start to spend more due to increased tire replacement whether its race tires or trackday tires, more frequent maintenenace, etc...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:17 AM   #13
marimirez
PW Reformed...

Bike(s):
2000 Can a tuna ~sold~ 06 Gixxer 600

Would you suggest people be somewhat of an experienced rider before they try hitting the track. Also, is there any problems if the bike is lowered?
marimirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #14
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimirez View Post
Would you suggest people be somewhat of an experienced rider before they try hitting the track. Also, is there any problems if the bike is lowered?
It's not so much experience as it is comfort level. Very hard to articulate a hard fast rule of when you're "ready."

As far as lowered, if it is lowered in the rear a tad to accomodate the vertically challenged, it's not too much of an issue. I would highy recommend getting w/ one of the trackside vendors to adjust/set up your suspension to make sure the geometry is correct, etc...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

You can ride a lowered bike out there without issue if that's what you're used to. Heck, we've had Harleys out at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on a more than one occasion (and I mean the full-dress cruisers, not a Buell or something). I'm sure you could take your bike to Patrick and have him evaluate it before going.

I would say that anyone who has any riding experience on the streets will benefit from a "noob" track day like the one we have coming up and the ones that Buck puts on.

Track days designed for "noobs" are perfect for people who don't have a whole lot of experience. If you've already taken the MSF, then you will be ahead of the curve. Come on out!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #16
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimirez View Post
if you're bike is lowered incorrectly, it could pose a problem. too low in the front, your bike will turn in like a bat outta .....too low in the rear without lowering the front, it'll be easier to unload the front wheel and tuck the front wheel causing you a lowside crash. lowered too much, you reduce ground clearance, and you'll have to get off the bike more to accomodate the bike's lean angle.

make sure your suspension is lowered evenly, also set up correctly. i'd get with Motorcycles Unlimited to get it setup correctly. if your bike's geometry is lowered evenly....a basic suspension setup will cost you $25. the best $25 you'll ever spend on ur bike.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #17
marimirez
PW Reformed...

Bike(s):
2000 Can a tuna ~sold~ 06 Gixxer 600

Quote:
if you're bike is lowered incorrectly, it could pose a problem. too low in the front, your bike will turn in like a bat outta .....too low in the rear without lowering the front, it'll be easier to unload the front wheel and tuck the front wheel causing you a lowside crash. lowered too much, you reduce ground clearance, and you'll have to get off the bike more to accomodate the bike's lean angle.

make sure your suspension is lowered evenly, also set up correctly. i'd get with Motorcycles Unlimited to get it setup correctly. if your bike's geometry is lowered evenly....a basic suspension setup will cost you $25. the best $25 you'll ever spend on ur bike.
Glad I asked, I need to go over there anyways, another thing to add to the list. Thanks!
marimirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #18
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

yeah, patrick and his crew will get you hooked up right!

as for when you're "ready" for a trackday.......is up to you. not how much experience, or how many twisty roads you have rode......it's all about comfort. when you're comfortable and ready to learn.....you're ready.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #19
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Are my posts invisible or something?

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group