MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
DOA
MH's slowest 600hp Busa

Feedback Rating: (15)

Now that track season is over...

I've thought about a track bike for sometime now, but I've hesitated for various reasons but I'm getting the bug again. Now that the season is over I would imagine that there are bikes and such out there to be had for a song.

So here are a few questions that y'all can enlighten me regarding the track thing.

I have leathers and a large trailer already, awning/tent, generator, FOOD and all the cooking wares, (couldn't the trailer without the BBQ pit) tools and just about everything but the track bike and spares that I might need.

Now the noob type questions:
About how much did you spend for track season this year?
Did you have a sponsor or did you run as a privateer?
(I'm not interested in getting a sponsor, but I'd like to know what the minimum you could get by with vs. a top of the line operation)

How many weekends/days did you spend out there?
Is it only one day outta the weekend or do the races span entire weekends?
How many hours per week did you spend preparing for a race day (outside of actual practice for the race - prepping your bike etc...)
Can you actually practice at a track prior to the races?
Are there track schools? Where? How much $$$?
What does it cost to rent a track per day?

Is there actually any prize money worth speaking of or is it mostly the trophy and the bragging rights?
Did anyone here actually make $$$ racing?

How do you plan to change your race setup during the off season?
Would you do it all again or have you decided to just get out of it entirely?

Sorry for the endless questions, I don't want to jump into it or even buy a track bike without carefully looking at it from all angles.

Thanks
-d
DOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 track season itsarjun Taking it to the Track 40 02-12-2014 08:39 AM
Track season is almost here! HALFFAST Ridesmart Motorcycle School 37 01-19-2014 06:30 PM
Track Season 2012 TangoRangoEy Taking it to the Track 23 10-23-2012 03:15 PM
This is what I need for track season! bubby Off Topic 6 02-03-2009 01:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA View Post
I've thought about a track bike for sometime now, but I've hesitated for various reasons but I'm getting the bug again. Now that the season is over I would imagine that there are bikes and such out there to be had for a song.

So here are a few questions that y'all can enlighten me regarding the track thing.

I have leathers and a large trailer already, awning/tent, generator, FOOD and all the cooking wares, (couldn't the trailer without the BBQ pit) tools and just about everything but the track bike and spares that I might need.

About how much did you spend for track season this year?
Did you have a sponsor or did you run as a privateer?
(I'm not interested in getting a sponsor, but I'd like to know what the minimum you could get by with vs. a top of the line operation)

How many weekends/days did you spend out there?
Is it only one day outta the weekend or do the races span entire weekends?
How many hours per week did you spend preparing for a race day (outside of actual practice for the race - prepping your bike etc...)
Can you actually practice at a track prior to the races?
Are there track schools? Where? How much $$$?
What does it cost to rent a track per day?

Is there actually any prize money worth speaking of or is it mostly the trophy and the bragging rights?
Did anyone here actually make $$$ racing?

How do you plan to change your race setup during the off season?

Sorry for the endless questions, I don't want to jump into it or even buy a track bike without carefully looking at it from all angles.

Thanks
-d

now that track days are over go back to street

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA View Post

About how much did you spend for track season this year? COUNTLESS AMOUNTS OF TIME AND MONEY!
Did you have a sponsor or did you run as a privateer? BOTH
(I'm not interested in getting a sponsor, but I'd like to know what the minimum you could get by with vs. a top of the line operation) FOR TRACKDAYS, NOTHING we've already had this discussion on here.

How many weekends/days did you spend out there? 15 days total
Is it only one day outta the weekend or do the races span entire weekends? WE TALKING RACING OR TRACKDAYS" B/C IT'S DIFFERENT
How many hours per week did you spend preparing for a race day (outside of actual practice for the race - prepping your bike etc...) NOT MUCH
Can you actually practice at a track prior to the races? YES
Are there track schools? Where? How much $$$? YES, AT ANY WWW.LSTD.COM TRACKDAY ATANY TRACK, DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU ARE TAKING.
What does it cost to rent a track per day? TONS

Is there actually any prize money worth speaking of or is it mostly the trophy and the bragging rights? MONEY COMES WITH LOTS OF SPEED, YOU AINT GOT IT YET.
Did anyone here actually make $$$ racing? YES!

How do you plan to change your race setup during the off season? NO DIFFERENT

Thanks
-d
thats just my view
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

I can't talk about racing but I did do my share of track days this year. First, a bif factor is wether you crash or not and how often, then what kind of bike your on(affects tire wear, maintenance etc...) I typically (sv650 and no real crashes) spent around 400 per track event sometimes a 100-200 more but typically never less.(Well once less thanks moody) tires last about 3 events depending on the track and riding habits.

Hopefully next year I can inform you on the racing costs.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
basically every spare penny you have, and then some, will go into racing. every available dollar you have to spend, will be spent.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
About how much did you spend for track season this year? since my bike was street...after all the suspension work, tires, trackdays, gear, etc. i can easily count up about $20,000 this year on track related expenses
Did you have a sponsor or did you run as a privateer? i exclusively took all my work to motorcycles unlimited, and in turn get BADASS deals. it's a win/win situation. if you can find any types of sponsorships, jump all over it!

How many weekends/days did you spend out there? at least twice a month
Is it only one day outta the weekend or do the races span entire weekends? depending what type of racing you plan to do....but most people spend the whole weekend at the races
How many hours per week did you spend preparing for a race day (outside of actual practice for the race - prepping your bike etc...) not much time, just loading up the bike and gear into the trailer
Can you actually practice at a track prior to the races? yeah, with cmra, you can do the lstd trackday on the friday prior to the race. you also get a few practice sessions before all the races start
Are there track schools? Where? How much $$$? there are a few choice organizations that will teach you how to ride your bike. for example, longhorn motorcycle school (buck beasley), LSTD - Lonestar trackdays, and Ridesmart. If you want advanced training, you can get with one of the top experts and get some private training.
What does it cost to rent a track per day? you would do a trackday, which varies in cost, depending on which track and which organization. on average between $100-$175

Is there actually any prize money worth speaking of or is it mostly the trophy and the bragging rights? Yes, once you become expert status, Factory contingency i hear can make some good money. you gotta be a front runner in the expert class to see any of it though. there are also contingency payouts for all the parts manufacturers as well, and class purse prizes (which aren't very much money)
Did anyone here actually make $$$ racing? Nope, not yet. Just in it for the fun. If i get serious about it, I hope to at least make enough to pay for SOME of my expenses.

How do you plan to change your race setup during the off season? None, probably repair and repaint fairings.....mechanical wise, no changes.
Would you do it all again or have you decided to just get out of it entirely? Probably, it's an expensive hobby to have and an expensive sport to be a part of.....but the fun and excitement cannot be replaced by nothing else for me.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement