Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 09:37 AM   #1
dhdrider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Sorry, but I have to vent!

All of these fatality accidents are really starting to me off.* My wife has never been a big fan of my motorcycle addiction.* But, she's always felt a little better about it because I NEVER ride w/o a helmet and I NEVER ride w/o my leather jacket, gloves & boots.* However, this recent wave of fatality accidents in the Houston area is starting to get to her.* I know there has always been fatality accidents, but in the last few weeks there have been more of them in the news.* There were the 4 last week in the city and a guy Friday died north of Conroe.* All 5 of these people were not wearing helmets.* WTF?* I just don't get it.* What's worse is that the guy who died in conroe was a friend of one of my wife's co-workers.* *:eh:

Saturday I was riding FM 3090 w/ a buddy of mine and we came upon a CBR 929 or 954 w/ a young guy with a girl on the back.* They were riding at a pretty good clip.* Well above 70 mph.* Gear, you ask?* But of course, no helmets on either one of them.* I used to just sort of shake my head in disgust when i would see that, but now I find myself getting really angry when I'm driving/riding and I see people riding w/o gear.* Sometimes I just want to get out of my car and beat the out of them.

I know some of you have the opinion that if it's someone else, it's just Darwin weeding out the idiots.* But, I have to say that I think more of human life than that.* Everytime I'm stopped and I talk to gear-less riders, I do my best to sell them on it.* No, I'm not saving the world, but I figure any bit helps.

No, I'm not so naive to think that wearing a helmet and all gear will prevent all deaths, but the statistics do not lie.* Protective gear saves lives.

And one more thing, why the don't police enforce the helmet exemption sticker?* What the are they for if they're not enforced?

Sorry for the rant.* Carry on...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need to vent!!!! Zombiekid Off Topic 175 02-03-2011 04:41 PM
Can I Vent? viper3ez Off Topic 5 04-21-2010 10:31 AM
I need to vent. txferrari Off Topic 165 04-29-2009 10:21 AM
I need to vent too!! hotcknstrips Off Topic 1 04-28-2009 04:45 PM
I need to vent. Phydeaux Off Topic 99 10-30-2008 02:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Re: Sorry, but I have to vent!

I hear you on that one. I preach the gear thing too but, we must come to realize some people simply choose that path because they just don't care. Of course there are those who are uneducated and we need to try to continue educating but.... in the end some will never choose the path that will allow them to possibly walk away from a spill so they can ride another day. :dontknow:

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:45 AM   #3
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

i think they should bring the helmet law back

IMO
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:55 AM   #4
JoeRider

Member Garage

well I support the freedom of choice...how rediculous that we have a seat belt law on the contrary?!

By pushing the government to enforce common sense laws we are giving away our rights of choice. Glad you do your part to help promote safety in our sport but this is really the limit of what we can do. Riding responsibly goes a lot further then just wearing a lid. Just spreading the word about a message board/group like motohouston will get some of these guys and gals up on riding responsibly.

So the next time, get out of your car and talk to them. Just send em here! We'll beat em up for you!

~Joe
Old 08-15-2005, 10:03 AM   #5
TxVrod

BS! Why the heck would you want MORE government medling??!! I don't think the government should even be telling us to wear seat-belts!

I don't often wear a helmet, but the choice is mine. It's not smart, and I know it's not - but, it's MY choice and I think people need to but out of my life when telling my I need to be wearing one. When I want your opinion on that matter, I'll ask for it.

Now, what me off is when I see the rider wearing a helmet and his chick on the back is not. I dunno why, it just does.
TxVrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

I guess more bussiness for the medical industry is good for Houston? :dontknow:

Old 08-15-2005, 10:29 AM   #7
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxVrod
BS! Why the heck would you want MORE government medling??!! I don't think the government should even be telling us to wear seat-belts!
So what you're saying is you don't have a probelm w/ riders getting injured because they're not wearing helmet and the rest of us have to pay for it cause they don't have sufficient (or any) health coverage?

Quote:
Now, what me off is when I see the rider wearing a helmet and his chick on the back is not. I dunno why, it just does.
So, then it's your choice to wear one, but the girl on the back, it's not her choice huh?* That sounds right to me.*

TxVrod-* Out of curiosity, do you have a helmet exemption sticker?

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 08-15-2005, 10:39 AM   #8
TxVrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider
Quote:
So what you're saying is you don't have a probelm w/ riders getting injured because they're not wearing helmet and the rest of us have to pay for it cause they don't have sufficient (or any) health coverage?

Quote:
So, then it's your choice to wear one, but the girl on the back, it's not her choice huh? That sounds right to me.

TxVrod- Out of curiosity, do you have a helmet exemption sticker?
I have a problem with government making choices for people who need to be making the choices for themselves. I never said the fact that I don't wear a helmet is a smart choice but it's MY choice and I intend to keep it that way (I REALLY need to start wearing my helmet, BTW).

Yes, it's also the girl's choice not to wear one. I just believe the rider should provide her with one. I didn't say I saw the driver wearing one and another hanging off the side.

With regard to the exemption sticker, no. I don't. What I DO have, however, is a little certificate proving I took a rider's safety class which exempts me from having to wear a helmet (Silly, huh?).

Anyway, my opinions here are NOT whether one should wear a helmet. It's about having the government meddle (yes, meddle) in my life regarding decsisions I should be making for me and mine.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:52 AM   #9
PORSCHITO

Feedback Rating: (1)

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO

i think the helmet law should be brought back at least for the highways...
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
With regard to the exemption sticker, no. I don't. What I DO have, however, is a little certificate proving I took a rider's safety class which exempts me from having to wear a helmet (Silly, huh?).
Actually, you're supposed to fill out a form w/ the state proving *that you meet certain criteria (one of which is the class you took) then they will mail you a sticker to affix to your lisence plate. *But, that's beside the point. *You are one of the few that I have met that actaully have taken the necessary steps to legally ride w/o a helmet.

Quote:
Anyway, my opinions here are NOT whether one should wear a helmet. It's about having the government meddle (yes, meddle) in my life regarding decsisions I should be making for me and mine.
I guess this is where we disagree. *I do not consider it meddling. *It's all about money. *Helmet laws (and seatbelt laws) keep the state from having to pay for people that do not have sufficient health coverage or income. *Those costs will get passed down to us. *More taxes and/or less funding for other needy organizations. *In a perfect world no one would ride a motorcycle or drive a car w/o health coverage. *But as you know, MANY folks out there have neither health nor car insurance. *Helmet and seatbelt laws save the state money. *Now, if you're cool with picking up the tab for those how do not have the means to pay for it, then so be it. *

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 08-15-2005, 12:20 PM   #11
JoeRider

Member Garage

Quote:
Actually, you're supposed to fill out a form w/ the state proving *that you meet certain criteria (one of which is the class you took) then they will mail you a sticker to affix to your lisence plate. *But, that's beside the point. *You are one of the few that I have met that actaully have taken the necessary steps to legally ride w/o a helmet.
You don't need the sticker or MSF class to ride without a helmet. Sufficient medical coverage is also enough.

Regardless, the point is being made that if a helmet law was in effect (like California) even those that have health coverage to pay for medical needs following a crash still are impacted and have a freedom or choice taken away from them. I don't need the goverment to tell me to wipe my because its good for me, just like I don't need a priest to tell me there is a greater power out there. Bottom line is that if we had more of a standard of raising these young men and women then we wouldnt have many of the problems that we now seem fit to make laws to correct.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #12
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

I definetly believe in education opposed to regulation. :confused1:

Old 08-15-2005, 12:36 PM   #13
TxVrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
I definetly believe in education opposed to regulation. :confused1:
WORD! You took the words right from my keyboard.

dhrider - while I can appreciate your compassion, I would need to see the proof the helmet laws save states money. Otherwise, why would a state NOT want to save money. Those that are vehicularly uninsured and do not have health insurance (or insufficiency, thereof) are going to be footed by taxpayers, anyway.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:08 PM   #14
JoeRider

Member Garage

Quote:
dhrider - while I can appreciate your compassion, I would need to see the proof the helmet laws save states money. Otherwise, why would a state NOT want to save money. Those that are vehicularly uninsured and do not have health insurance (or insufficiency, thereof) are going to be footed by taxpayers, anyway.
so true...

Its like you dont even have a choice to carry uninsured motorist on your policy anymore...
Old 08-15-2005, 01:20 PM   #15
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRider
You don't need the sticker or MSF class to ride without a helmet. Sufficient medical coverage is also enough.
Legally you are supposed to have en exemption sticker on your plate.* There are 2 ways to qualify.* One of which is the class and one is health insurance...

Taken from TX DOT:

Quote:
Texas Motorcycle Helmet Law.* *

Effective September 1, 1997, persons at least 21 years old are exempt from wearing a motorcycle helmet if they:
have successfully completed a motorcycle safety course,*
OR
are covered by a health insurance plan providing at least $10,000
* * * minimum in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an
* * * accident.

Motorcycle Safety Course.* The Basic and Advanced Motorcycle Operator Training Courses meet the helmet exemption requirement. The Advanced Motorcycle Operator Training Course is recommended for experienced licensed motorcyclists.

Health Insurance Plan. Defined as . . . an individual, group, blanket, or franchise insurance policy, insurance agreement, group hospital services contract, health maintenance organization membership, or employee benefit plan that provides benefits for health care services or for medical or surgical expenses incurred as a result of an accident.

Helmet Exemption Sticker. The Department of Public Safety issues Helmet Exemption stickers to persons who:
apply to the department on the form provided above;
is the registered owner of the motorcycle listed on the
* * * application;
provides adequate proof of successful completion of the Basic
* * * or Advanced Motorcycle Operator Training Course, or health
* * * insurance coverage, and,
pay a $5.00 non-refundable fee for each sticker applied for.

Anyway, I really didn't intend this to be a helmet law discussion per say, just wanted to express how dis-heartening it is to see fatality after fatality in a sport I enjoy so much. Didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers. It's obviuos what a sensitive subject this is...

Carry on.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 08-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #16
TxVrod

Thanks for posting that information, dh.

I meant to mention before, one can get the sticker and be "presumed" one meets the insurance requirement or, when one gets pulled over, he can show the class completion document (which is what I would do if pulled over - which I have not been).

My point is, the sticker is not a requirement.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:36 PM   #17
JoeRider

Member Garage

Quote:

Anyway, I really didn't intend this to be a helmet law discussion per say, just wanted to express how dis-heartening it is to see fatality after fatality in a sport I enjoy so much.* Didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers.* It's obviuos what a sensitive subject this is...

Carry on.
It's very disheartning. But some are very opposed for passing a new law for every dumbass out there.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:38 PM   #18
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

TxVrod-

The porblem w/ the whole thing is that it's sort of cloudy. *A few years ago a friend of mine was told by a cop to go home and not ride w/o a helmet until he got a sticker. *He had his insurance card w/ him and everything. *Then, I've had a cop tell me that they don;t enforce the technical rules of the helmet law unless the rider is breaking some other law as well.

So, where are we after all this? *No where.

Your welcome everybody! *

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 08-15-2005, 01:51 PM   #19
TxVrod

Quote:
TxVrod-

The porblem w/ the whole thing is that it's sort of cloudy. A few years ago a friend of mine was told by a cop to go home and not ride w/o a helmet until he got a sticker. He had his insurance card w/ him and everything. Then, I've had a cop tell me that they don;t enforce the technical rules of the helmet law unless the rider is breaking some other law as well.

So, where are we after all this? No where.

Your welcome everybody!
Carrying insurance is not all it takes, you must have a MINIMUM AMOUNT OF MEDICAL COVERAGE - either through your vehicle provider or health provider. Just showing an insurance card isn't going to cut it, IMO. I think the sticker program is a good idea or, don't break any OTHER laws and you won't have to worry about it.

Bottom line, whether or not you get pulled over is going to be at the discretion of the officer.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #20
zzr03

As a soon to be cop, a rider with out a lid will catch my eye and make me look harder and his tags and such. He will most likley get stopped. As a rider myself i'm not looking to stick it to him, But my job is to serve the puplic and sometimes protect them from themselfs. Sport bike riders for the most part already have a bad rep, most of that is due to the lack of knowledge. The rest cab be put on the careless riders that ride out w/no gear and act like fools. With that said I like to push the bike and myself when riding it's the nature of the sport. Its just that when pushing the limit we need to take the proper steps to protect ourselfs. right:
zzr03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement