MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #201
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Wow, already 10 pages on this topic of "Church", and almost all of it is anti-church rather than pro-church.

In my opinion:
Those of us who believe in , and/or believe in going to Church, may not ever prove to an Atheist that exists, because by default, Atheism is in itself, its own Religion: the belief in no or church. As such, most Atheists are strong in their beliefs because they need to have their opinions heard amongsts people who are predominantly religious (to one extent or another), so their arguments will always be bold and strong. They have their Right to their beliefs as much as we do, and it's great dialogue!

With that in mind, as much as an Atheist will always have a logical rebuttal to a pro- or pro-church arguement, we may not always have a logical rebuttal to an Atheist's arguement. Using logical terms will make logical sense to logical people, and therefore their arguments will always seem strong and wise (and even cause doubt amongst those who believe without strong Faith). People of Faith cannot argue Faith to those that have no Faith. They will always "lose" to an Atheist since those parameters don't work in our favor. Yet an Atheist has yet to prove, to a believer or himself, that does not exist; And yet, in the end, it may only be our Faith that will prove him wrong.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biker Church tonyt915 Off Topic 13 01-27-2010 09:15 PM
Killed in Church lanzer913 Off Topic 44 06-02-2009 05:03 PM
Do You Go To Church? Kodak Off Topic 103 01-12-2009 06:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #202
AliceInChains02

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
Wow, already 10 pages on this topic of "Church", and almost all of it is anti-church rather than pro-church.

In my opinion:
Those of us who believe in , and/or believe in going to Church, may not ever prove to an Atheist that exists, because by default, Atheism is in itself, its own Religion: the belief in no or church. As such, most Atheists are strong in their beliefs because they need to have their opinions heard amongsts people who are predominantly religious (to one extent or another), so their arguments will always be bold and strong. They have their Right to their beliefs as much as we do, and it's great dialogue!

With that in mind, as much as an Atheist will always have a logical rebuttal to a pro- or pro-church arguement, we may not always have a logical rebuttal to an Atheist's arguement. Using logical terms will make logical sense to logical people, and therefore their arguments will always seem strong and wise (and even cause doubt amongst those who believe without strong Faith). People of Faith cannot argue Faith to those that have no Faith. They will always "lose" to an Atheist since those parameters don't work in our favor. Yet an Atheist has yet to prove, to a believer or himself, that does not exist; And yet, in the end, it may only be our Faith that will prove him wrong.
reason/logic>faith/superstition
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #203
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02 View Post
reason/logic>faith/superstition
What if I place my faith in reason and logic?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #204
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
What if I place my faith in reason and logic?

This 'logic' is flawed.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:31 AM   #205
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC View Post
This 'logic' is flawed.
Maybe Logic?

Old 11-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #206
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
And yet, in the end, it may only be our Faith that will prove him wrong.

How will your faith prove anyone wrong? one has to be dead and gone in order to make it to heaven correct? and when was the last time someone that was dead and gone came back to prove anything to anyone?

whatever floats your boat is cool with me as long as it does not interfere with my life. A lot of us "non believers" are the way we are b/c of ignorant people that try to convince us that we are wrong. i understand your "faith" and that it works for you. I'm a realist.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #207
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
How will your faith prove anyone wrong? one has to be dead and gone in order to make it to heaven correct? and when was the last time someone that was dead and gone came back to prove anything to anyone?

whatever floats your boat is cool with me as long as it does not interfere with my life. A lot of us "non believers" are the way we are b/c of ignorant people that try to convince us that we are wrong. i understand your "faith" and that it works for you. I'm a realist.

+1

http://www.secular.org ftw
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #208
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalline
Quote:

You say you're a realist? Under what circumstances? Because no one can scientifically prove that is REAL or NOT REAL?

But you are right about one thing, no one should waste their times trying to convince "realists" such as yourself.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #209
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline View Post
You say you're a realist? Under what circumstances? Because no one can scientifically prove that is REAL or NOT REAL?

But you are right about one thing, no one should waste their times trying to convince "realists" such as yourself.
If they don't keep trying to convince the unconvinced then how will they raise their bottom lines?

Old 11-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #210
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
If they don't keep trying to convince the unconvinced then how will they raise their bottom lines?
I say... Who gives a ****. Its like trying to convince someone that the sky is orange.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #211
Dementia

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'07 Triumph 675 Daytona

Send a message via AIM to Dementia
www.zeitgeistmovie.com

Watch it! Part one is about religion. You should stick around for the whole 2 hours though, it's worth it.
Dementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #212
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:

you say you're not christian right? why question me? if you tell me you can fly, i want to see it before i believe it. if you tell me ANY is real, i want proof before i'll believe it. don't call me a realist, call me a skeptic. either way, organized religion is not for me. lastly, no one should try to convince me about something that is as imaginary as the tooth fairy. it's proposterous
Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #213
wlgorman

Bike(s):
'06 CBR600RR

you called yourself a realist lol

defeat
wlgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #214
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgorman View Post
you called yourself a realist lol
you call yourself a krunkness consultant and you laugh at me:/:
Old 11-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #215
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Quote:
you say you're not christian right? why question me? if you tell me you can fly, i want to see it before i believe it. if you tell me ANY is real, i want proof before i'll believe it. don't call me a realist, call me a skeptic. either way, organized religion is not for me. lastly, no one should try to convince me about something that is as imaginary as the tooth fairy. it's proposterous
I didn't call you a realist, you called yourself a realist. Secondly, it it not up to ANY ONE but yourself to prove if it's real or unreal just like you stated. It shouldn't be anoyone elses duty to tell you what they believe to be true. So which way so you want it? Someone to prove to you, or for someone to not convince you?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #216
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
I didn't call you a realist, you called yourself a realist. Secondly, it it not up to ANY ONE but yourself to prove if it's real or unreal just like you stated. It shouldn't be anoyone elses duty to tell you what they believe to be true. So which way so you want it? Someone to prove to you, or for someone to not convince you?
i quoted someone that stated Faith will prove we(the non believers) are wrong. I don't need anyone to prove anything to me. i'm not asking for anyone to convince me of anything, i can make up my mind for myself. What i REALLY don't need is someone telling me I'm wrong b/c i don't agree with them. I don't try to convince anyone i'm right/wrong. People shouldn't wear their religion on their sleeve.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #217
wlgorman

Bike(s):
'06 CBR600RR

its funny how people get offended and throw insults when someone points out a fact...immature...but right on THUG BIKES...keep on 'thuggin'...

defeat
wlgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #218
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Quote:
i quoted someone that stated Faith will prove we(the non believers) are wrong. I don't need anyone to prove anything to me. i'm not asking for anyone to convince me of anything, i can make up my mind for myself. What i REALLY don't need is someone telling me I'm wrong b/c i don't agree with them. I don't try to convince anyone i'm right/wrong. People shouldn't wear their religion on their sleeve.
You're right, people shouldn't wear wear anything personal, period, on their sleeves but you might want to go back and read your posts before you make this statement. It's one thing to disagree, but it is another to INSULT. You never once insulted me because I don't give a .02 on others views because I am never the type to try and pursuade anothers beliefs. Not my thing.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #219
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgorman View Post
its funny how people get offended and throw insults when someone points out a fact...immature...but right on THUG BIKES...keep on 'thuggin'...
where was the insult? you call yourself a "krunkness consultant", not me. Thug bikes are a category of streetfighters/hardcore choppers/hooligan bikes. I didn't expect you to know that though, so we'll let that one go. You did do a nice job of proving your own point though. . .i pointed out a fact and you got offended. . .immature. . .but right on.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #220
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
You're right, people shouldn't wear wear anything personal, period, on their sleeves but you might want to go back and read your posts before you make this statement. It's one thing to disagree, but it is another to INSULT. You never once insulted me because I don't give a .02 on others views because I am never the type to try and pursuade anothers beliefs. Not my thing.
show me the insult.

Advertisement