MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 07:39 AM   #1
atizzle

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'03 SV650S

Send a message via AIM to atizzle
tire recommendations - SV650 track

I need some tire recommendations for a track noob on a SV650. I did my one and only track day with bt 014's.

I was considering Michelin 2CT's (now that they have a 160/60), Dunlop Qualifiers, BT 090's......just not sure what to get. I was thinking go with the stickiest tire my wallet would allow.

Suggestions?

TIA
atizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motard Tire Recommendations xylo Super Motards 43 12-01-2014 01:13 PM
tire recommendations TheBeeDeeGee General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 01-15-2014 11:15 PM
Track Plastic Recommendations Track_Graphics General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 12-18-2012 10:14 PM
Bridgestone track temp / tire compound recommendations maxgs Taking it to the Track 8 11-30-2009 01:12 PM
Tire recommendations pimpcain How To's and Q & A's 5 09-17-2005 08:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
get the michilin race tires, trust me i rode perellis in the endurance race on saterday and they didnt last long, my bald michilin was gripping better. get the medeium soft. or if its just for the track bridgestone slicks work great also
Romeo36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

Bridgestones Excellant traction and wear. Great prices too.
SCRC 281-703-0296-John
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Dude, can't beat the 090's. Pirelli makes a good tire for the SV also, but as Bubba said, they don't wear well.

For the money, the 090 is a long lasting, excellent traction tire. You can't beat the GP250 slicks, but I wouldn't spend that money until you get up to a good pace so you can keep heat in them.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
oh yea michilins own all!!!!!!!!!!!
Romeo36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #6
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
02 R1, 01 SV650

Another vote for the 090s. I've gone through few sets of those this year and they are an excellent track tire for a great price. Never tried michelins so I won't bash those.

But since you said noob, you should be OK with 014s until you pick up some more speed.
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Honestly AT, just about any race compound rubber is going to be very good for you. There are some issues with some tires, some strengths and weakness, but usually those don't manifest until your pace is very good (lap times below 2:00 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) for instance). Even then, most of the "issues" won't show up for you until you break in to the mid-low 50's on your SV there.

Race compound tires these days are pretty comparable, really, at your level, determining factors would likely be more monetary than anything else. Bridgestones and Michelins are the least expensive, Bridgestone has been a longer lasting stickier tire for me (Bubba has had different results with his Michelins). Pirelli is very good with traction, not so good with wear, and get downright scary when they're worn (which will take a long time to get worn for you with proper care and maintenance until your lap times get low).

You are at a great place right now just getting in to it. You should try all different brands of tire, and form your own opinion. I'd also see about running take-offs first (make sure they are in good condition), and then get lots of seat time.

To be blunt, and on a basic level (meaning new to track days/ track riding), you can't go wrong with just about any new, round, and properly inflated tire designed for the track and the bike you're riding.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Well this will depend on you. I currently run a 2ct up front and power rear and up until the last TD it was working fine. Now the rear is breaking in nearly every turn so time for a stickier tire. Whats times are you running for the moment? how do street tires feel?

Personally, I wouldn't go to a "race" tire until you are pushing current street tires to theire limits it would be a waste of $$ and wouldn't really help you raise your skill levels.

The combo I am running runs great and will last you a long time.

Just my .02
Old 10-29-2007, 08:39 AM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Personally, I wouldn't go to a "race" tire until you are pushing current street tires to theire limits it would be a waste of $$ and wouldn't really help you raise your skill levels.
Race rubber is not that much more expensive, and with the end of the season here, most of the vendors are selling their stock cheap to get rid of it (Big John just had a helluva sale on SV size rubber).

While street rubber may be adequate (it's true), using them vs race rubber isn't going to affect "raising your skill level".

This may bring Steve-O out of the woodwork, but I think the theory of learning to go fast on street tires vs learning the track on race rubber makes you a better rider is a bunch of hoo-ee. Race rubber instills confidence, and at the beginner level, it's mental anyway- most noobs aren't getting enough heat in race rubber for them to really "work" anyway. Why not have that extra bit of confidence when learning?

Especially with Bridgestone and Michelin, the least expensive track rubber out there right now, you can get a great set of new track rubber for the same or close to the same price at their street compound counterparts.

There are only a couple of slight "advantages" for using street rubber- they warm up fast, and the last slightly longer.

Get some take-offs in good shape if you want to know first hand. I know I have some and I'm sure Romeo does too.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Oh yeah, the Bridgestones are warm enough and sticky enough to open up on the second or third lap, they get warm as fast as the street compounds do.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:50 AM   #11
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

I agree and kind of not Tom. Personally, again this is personally I find running equipment that is not "the best" teaches you alot about what is happening with the bike. Running the power rears for example has enabled me to find the breaking points of the tires. BTW the michelins(streets) warm up pretty quick...IMO then again I'm not running mid/low 50's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) yet so....

FYI Tom is a big bunddle of knowledge and has been one of the most helpful people I've met since I started concentrating on really learning how to ride. He's a big part of the reason I shaved well over 20 seconds off my lap times at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Can't wait to finally put those take-offs you hooked me up with on
Old 10-29-2007, 09:27 AM   #12
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
I agree and kind of not Tom. Personally, again this is personally I find running equipment that is not "the best" teaches you alot about what is happening with the bike.
+1 dude, and thanks for the kind words too.

I think we all know that tires is one of those e-subjects that create 20 page threads, so I'm not trying to get down that road! My team and I have just happened to do a lot of testing with lots of different brands of tire for the SV, it's something I have a little stockpile of information about. However, I am definitely not the definitive voice, and mine is just an opinion too...

While you are at the point where learning about that aspect of riding "Personally, again this is personally I find running equipment that is not 'the best' teaches you a lot about what is happening with the bike", and it is beneficial, it may not apply to the person who is new to the addiction.

Ask Henry, I enjoy riding on worn tires too- I think it builds skill- at a certain level.

YMMV
Old 10-29-2007, 09:32 AM   #13
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

Since we comparing...what about the Metzler M1's ? Any comments?

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #14
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike

oh yeah on an F4

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Metzler was the worst tire we put on our bike for the track. While it stuck fine, they got greasy fast and wore like a $50 on nickel night! We got 1 hour out of them at a track day when we were testing tires. This was their trackday tire at the time, we were trying them out because it was going to be a cold first race. We ended up trying the Dunlops next and used them that season. We quickly switched to Bridgestone when we got the same performance out of them vs the Dunlops for $100 less per set.

We raced with Michelin for years until they went to the "Power Race" or their current setup. They did not wear well in endurance. Still a good trackday or sprint tire, but they don't hold up well for endurance, which to me equated to a poor performance as a trackday tire.

Best bang for the buck, by a long-shot has been the Bridgestone for us. I don't think that will change, but I'm sure we'll test some different brands again this off-season.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #16
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike

pm sent

xdng33m4iv
Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #17
atizzle

Bike(s):
'03 SV650S

Send a message via AIM to atizzle
thanks for the replies everyone. I currently have no tires since I got an F3 rear wheel (5.0" wheel is optimal for a 160 tire from what I read) and got the wheels powdercoated.

I dont know what times I was running at MSR-H...lets just say noobie slow. I am glad no one was keepting time.

looks like i missed a good sale (kawi jim).

i think i am going to go with the 090's if i can find some.
atizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #18
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
02 R1, 01 SV650

Even at regular price BT090s seem to be most economical tire out there. PM John for prices.
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #19
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
Even at regular price BT090s seem to be most economical tire out there. PM John for prices.
+1
Old 10-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #20
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i dont ride an SV....but comparing bridgestones to michelin's....they both have good traction....bridgestones turn in better for me, and last a lil longer.

if you're gonna keep it a track bike....get track rubber. not street rubber. forget all that mumbo jumbo about it teaches you better to use noob stuff, it's like "riding in the rain teaches you to be a smoother rider" (no offense in this last sentence martin, was just saying)....get the good stuff....then you'll have no excuses. (which in turns helps build the confidence like tom said) that's what i did. like what tom said again.....when you're a noob, you're in a mental state that it's not you, it's your tires, your suspension, or whatever.....if you got all the good stuff......you have absolutely no excuses of being slow.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement