MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #21
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

when i had my first busa it needed a new tire. I bought the bike from eximports... i know... and they gave me a shinko 009 for free and installed it. 4000 miles later it still had about 50% tread and i felt real comfortable on it. to have a rear tire last that long on a busa is saying something. i didn't get to finish evaluating it becuase my bike was totaled as most of you know. that is my limited experience with a shinko
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #22
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
when i had my first busa it needed a new tire. I bought the bike from eximports... i know... and they gave me a shinko 009 for free and installed it. 4000 miles later it still had about 50% tread and i felt real comfortable on it. to have a rear tire last that long on a busa is saying something. i didn't get to finish evaluating it becuase my bike was totaled as most of you know. that is my limited experience with a shinko
You killed your crediblity from the start of your post
Old 10-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #23
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
You killed your crediblity from the start of your post
that was when i didn't know any better, but i do know how long the tires lasted and how i felt on them. buying the bike from eximports has nothing to do with how the tire performed. and i actually got a decent deal from them, 10,300 OTD with 3 year warranty for a busa with 700 miles.
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #24
projektsol
flickr:rtranphotography

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
05' 600RR

Send a message via AIM to projektsol
pilot powers ftw
projektsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #25
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

you should have asked for opinions from people who have actually used shinko's. the one user who spoke up was satisfied. the rest probably haven't ever seen a shinko tire in person They're not the best tires on the market, but they work well for normal street use. FWIW, most people don't outride their stock tires, they just get what their buddies get so they fit in. Once again, this is only my opinion, and we all know what opinions are worth. . .
Old 10-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #26
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i dont know about the rest of these rumor spreaders....but i've actually rode a bike with shinkos, the bike was a friend of mine, grip was okay for cruising, any aggressive abuse and the thing slides around like it was a supermoto bike or somethin....the tires seem like they get harder with age, flatten like a mushroom (lose it's roundness, not from riding straight, more like the carcass is flattening out or something).

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #27
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

MC-USA Review

This Review on Shinko Stealth tires was pretty favorable, considering it's market base. They incorporate the technology, equipment, and rubber formula they bought off of Yokohama Tires.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ID=5460&Page=1
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #28
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

For the "average" riders they will not see any difference. The guys on the Bandit board give them favorable reviews.

But it really depends on how hard you ride, how heavy the bike is, HP, etc. I think on the average 600 the 005 will work fine, for an average rider. Not for track days.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"

Last edited by texlurch; 10-26-2007 at 04:37 PM.
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #29
txferrari
Banned

User is banned

txferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #30
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

I had Shinko's supermoto tires on my XR650R supermoto and I really liked them. They were really good tires I still have the front on with about 3000 miles. The rear tire lasted about 2500. They are real sticky I now have a Michlen power 2CT on it and it is not as sticky but looks like its going to last a lot longer.

I don't know how their other tires wear but I don't really think that these are just cheap tires I think they are just less expensive because they are trying to break into the market. I'll bet you that all the other tire makers could sell them for that price too. I will probably go back with Shinko's when I wear out the Michlin.
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #31
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
I had Shinko's supermoto tires on my XR650R supermoto and I really liked them. They were really good tires I still have the front on with about 3000 miles. The rear tire lasted about 2500. They are real sticky I now have a Michlen power 2CT on it and it is not as sticky but looks like its going to last a lot longer.

I don't know how their other tires wear but I don't really think that these are just cheap tires I think they are just less expensive because they are trying to break into the market. I'll bet you that all the other tire makers could sell them for that price too. I will probably go back with Shinko's when I wear out the Michlin.
yes, they probably could......but they'll be selling the same old technology and not researching to have better products. for a noob rider, or someone that doesn't ride too hard, yes this may be a DECENT tire for them. this tire is DEFINATELY NOT the tire for an aggressive rider. and that is also said by the review rob919 posted.

"For beginner trackday riders on smaller-displacement sportbikes the Shinko Stealth should also be considered as an option"

obviously the guy who was paid to try these tires out is sayin it like it is....beginner trackday rider on a smaller displacement sportbike? why? because they obviously won't grip for a literbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
This Review on Shinko Stealth tires was pretty favorable, considering it's market base. They incorporate the technology, equipment, and rubber formula they bought off of Yokohama Tires.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ID=5460&Page=1
so where are all the yokohama motorcycle tires? that's right....they stopped making them because they weren't successful in the motorcycle market.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #32
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Shinkos are junk tires for anything other then drag racing...the rears have soft side walls which aid in hooking up from a dead stop but cause serious tire squirm which sux for street riding, corner carving.....I have ran them and didn't like them except at the strip.

Those tires are super cheap for a reason....If the bike has them already, run them but when its time to replace them, go to a Michelin Pilot Power. You will also need to raise that bike back up to stock height so it can actually serve the purpose it was good for....corner carving... let me know if you need help with it.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:17 PM   #33
vertigo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 Busa, 03 busa, 08 Artic Cat ATV, 08 CRF50

Send a message via AIM to vertigo
I put a Shinko on the rear of my 03 busa, since I streched it I dont do much corner carving (none actually). It works great for what I bought it for. Its amazing how many people will chime in on something they never used. Its defently not a tire for cornering, but it is quite sticky...
08 CRF 50
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #34
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Decent tire, although definitely not high on my list at all.
Depending on the model, they have reasonable traction and performance, but IMO azre not on the same level as Bridgestone / Dunlop / Metzler / Michelin / Pirelli.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #35
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

great info from all.thanks.current owner did say he likes them and that they last forever.still has plenty of tread with 5k miles.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #36
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
I put a Shinko on the rear of my 03 busa, since I streched it I dont do much corner carving (none actually). It works great for what I bought it for. Its amazing how many people will chime in on something they never used. Its defently not a tire for cornering, but it is quite sticky...
so what kind of tire was on the front?

Old 10-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #37
FLYIN'DUC

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

The Shinko is good only for drag racing, alot of high horsepower bikes work very well on them at the track, but not very good on the street
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:20 PM   #38
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
little aggressive street

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
I had some 005's and they worked ok when new. Got about 2500 on the rear and it turned pretty greasy, the front seemed to be good till around 3K. They didn't like the summer and abuse; turned purple after over heating once too often.

Guess it depends on your riding style; not as much grip as a Pilot Power or M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
Shinkos are junk tires for anything other then drag racing...the rears have soft side walls which aid in hooking up from a dead stop but cause serious tire squirm which sux for street riding, corner carving.....I have ran them and didn't like them except at the strip.

Those tires are super cheap for a reason....If the bike has them already, run them but when its time to replace them, go to a Michelin Pilot Power. You will also need to raise that bike back up to stock height so it can actually serve the purpose it was good for....corner carving... let me know if you need help with it.
you have your answer right there...

you said a little aggressive street riding....this is not the tire for you.

you also gotta remember when it comes to tires....most tires will last a good 2500-3k on the rear, and double that on the front tire.....so you'll go through a set a year if even that. why not fork out an extra 100 and get a tire that has proven itself over and over again.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #39
vertigo

Bike(s):
07 Busa, 03 busa, 08 Artic Cat ATV, 08 CRF50

Send a message via AIM to vertigo
It has a Bridgestone on the front, tire has a lot of life on it so I could not see trashing it. I got a flat on the rear on the way home from a ride and decided to try the shinko, I was not trying to be cheap I had heard it was a good sticky tire so I thought I would give it a try. Like I said Im pretty happy with it so far. When I needed tires for my gixxer I put Pirelli's on it, now I really like these for the corners.
08 CRF 50
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement