MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Schmitty
um... i like beer.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
04 Gixxer 750
06 Honda 300EX
09 extreme 125cc pit bike

Member Garage

On or offroad lectures?

i haven't been on any of the group rides yet. I did have a question though. Whe you guys and ladies are on a group ride and someone pulls a wheelie or breaks the speed limit, do ya'll pull over and stop the ride to lecture moto safety and the dangers of diff. riding styles. I was just wondering. Just seems like there is a lot of preaching on the forum and i wanted to see if it happens in real life too. Cuz that would be gay. At least i think it would be. Of course i do understand use good judgement and do things that effect yourself and not others.
Schmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creekside offroad park blk_gmc Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 0 01-14-2015 05:26 PM
Fabrication, offroad anyones else? anatram Off Topic 24 04-22-2014 03:15 PM
Extreme offroad Grinchy General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 01-26-2012 11:11 PM
Down south offroad cobrakiller02 Off Topic 0 09-20-2011 09:38 PM
Militarized Offroad Segway Helios Off Topic 7 09-15-2010 03:51 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
Charliebrown

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
zzr

Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
preach before the ride, and no problems!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitty View Post
Just seems like there is a lot of preaching on the forum
If you saw a child playing with matches next to a gasoline can, wouldn't you want to warn the child?

Same concept... except the child is the squid ridding like an asshat on public roads.

The lecture is to (try) to help that individual REALLY understand the potential consequences of their own actions.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
Schmitty
um... i like beer.

Bike(s):
04 Gixxer 750
06 Honda 300EX

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Pilot View Post
Same concept... except the child is the squid ridding like an asshat on public roads.
Easy killer. I know your intentions. I was just wondering if ya'll do the same thing on group rides cuz i haven't been on one. But just to debate with you, a child has no knowledge of the concequences. That is why you warn them. People on this site know what they are doing is dangerous and make the decision to do it anyways. Thanks for the explanation though.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
Squeaky

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
For rides that I start/lead/organize, I make the rules clear at the beginning. You don't like them, no problem - go ride without us. The roads are free for all to use.

I've been on rides where someone joined in after the meet-up, and we pulled over to ask if he had a helmet - he did, and we didn't get rolling until he put it on.

If I'm on a ride that was started by others and I see behavior that I am uncomfortable with, I let the lead/sweep/control rider know I'm leaving the group and split off.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitty View Post
Easy killer. I know your intentions. I was just wondering if ya'll do the same thing on group rides cuz i haven't been on one. But just to debate with you, a child has no knowledge of the concequences. That is why you warn them. People on this site know what they are doing is dangerous and make the decision to do it anyways. Thanks for the explanation though.
Come with me to the hospital next time one of these people loops it doing a whoolie on 59... We can ask them together if they REALLY understood the potential consequences of their actions.

Wanna stunt? Take it to the lots. Gotta need for the triples? Take it to the track.

Anything involving either of the above and public roads can be either hazzardous to your health or wallet. Simple.

With me, it was speed... tickets and warrants probably saved my life...

People can THINK they know the consequences of riding like a fool... But still a good portion learn too late in the game. :/:
Old 10-25-2007, 10:58 PM   #8
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Pilot View Post
People can THINK they know the consequences of riding like a fool... But still a good portion learn too late in the game. :/:
What he said ^, plus I'm not willing to be a spectator or an innocent victim when they do. Period.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Old 10-25-2007, 11:16 PM   #9
zampano

Send a message via AIM to zampano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
What he said ^, plus I'm not willing to be a spectator or an innocent victim when they do. Period.
I think thats my biggest thing, no offense and not that I don't care about others, but I really DONT want to be there when someone gets in a wreck. Although Im also not going to waist my time during the ride to preach to someone. I personally havent been on any rides before either, but if I were doing something "wrong" I wouldnt want someone to be afraid to voice their opinion, if I dont like their opinion I will leave the ride.
zampano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:33 PM   #10
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Yeah, if I was riding with someone that was acting like a fool I would say something. I also prefer to ride with people I know who DON'T ride like that, even then happens.
I don't preach, but I do try to set an example.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:09 AM   #11
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i don't care how others ride when i ride with them....if you wanna do a wheelie......make sure you are not behind me while launching that sucker up and down. if you wanna go triple digits and you don't see me behind you anymore....that means i don't wanna ride with your scary .....so i took off in front of you going faster than your slow bike.

all that was a joke....somewhat. i don't care how others ride...their life, their bike....i just try not to "follow the pack"....but then again, i stopped riding on the streets...but when i did, i've seen all kinds of . people crashing in front of me, my mirrors hittin them in the head when they get back on their feet in the middle of the freeway .....people running off the road....people gettin chased by cops.....people getting caught because they ran from cops....countless tickets....some jail offenses....people are stupid.....and stupid hurts, if it don't hurt now.....it'll hurt twice as much later.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #12
vertigo

Bike(s):
07 Busa, 03 busa, 08 Artic Cat ATV, 08 CRF50

Send a message via AIM to vertigo
I don't really care how others ride, if I feel unsafe I'll move on. I don't want some clown running into me while trying to wheelie and I I really don't want to stand on the side of the freeway and watch someone bleed to death or see them broken into pieces. Riding a rocket is a choice, just not the best choice for everyone.
08 CRF 50
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #13
txferrari
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

User is banned

txferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:32 AM   #14
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by txferrari View Post
I'd agree somewhat about group rides, but adults are adults. Their going to do what they want anyhow....

Example...I went on a ride a year ago with HOH. My first ride. They said it would be a casual ride. We rode the back roads heading north. Before I knew it, I was in the back of the pack and about to get left behind. No bueno considering I had no idea where I was at.

Casual ride my !!!!! lol. But, I made it through.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #15
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
this thread is gay.
respect the group rules or bounce.
nobody likes a showoff that has no consideration for the safety of themselves or others around them.
That being said, if a group leader says its going to be a casual ride, then thats the pace they need to set. Most riders will try to keep up even if they don't have the skills to do soo.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:58 AM   #16
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
this thread is gay.
+1
Old 10-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #17
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

I still don't understand the point of owning a sportbike to ride on the street and then denouncing anyone who speeds.

Maybe it's just me but a 150 hp bike is MADE to speed. If you don't want to speed, then you need to get a different bike.

Maybe it's just me....

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #18
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
I still don't understand the point of owning a sportbike to ride on the street and then denouncing anyone who speeds.

Maybe it's just me but a 150 hp bike is MADE to speed. If you don't want to speed, then you need to get a different bike.

Maybe it's just me....
This thread has nothing to do with speeding or not, it has to do with demonstrating that speed in a group that doesn't agree with your idea of street riding. Basically, if YOU want to speed (or wheelie or hang three nekkid chicks off the back or whatever) then don't do it when you are on someone else's ride.

...oh, and not everyone rides a sport bike, not everyone speeds, and if you are going to proclaim street speeds of more than double the posted limit, please do it where you can't hurt anyone else or damage anyone's property. We don't want to pay for your mess.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #19
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
This thread has nothing to do with speeding or not, it has to do with demonstrating that speed in a group that doesn't agree with your idea of street riding. Basically, if YOU want to speed (or wheelie or hang three nekkid chicks off the back or whatever) then don't do it when you are on someone else's ride.

...oh, and not everyone rides a sport bike, not everyone speeds, and if you are going to proclaim street speeds of more than double the posted limit, please do it where you can't hurt anyone else or damage anyone's property. We don't want to pay for your mess.
I know what the thread's about, I just get a kick out of seeing people take the position that speeding is evil - this is a motorcycle forum - where the vast majority of people ride sportbikes - that are DESIGNED to haul .

It just doesn't make sense to me that riders want to act like speeding is for the devil. I'm a fairly responsible rider and I speed. A lot. Ban me I guess.

I've never been on a group ride, so I don't know about protocol for keeping riders in line, but when I ride with my friends we know the time and place to pick up the pace or cool it down.

I GUARANTEE you that I stand a MUCH better chance of hurting someone else when I'm driving my truck than when I'm on my bike. Guaranteed.

If you own a 150 BHP sportbike and always keep it under the limit you get massive poseur points in my book. I mean why not get a more comfortable bike? You get absolutely no advantage from a sportbike if you're always keeping it under the limit. I'd much rather have a cruiser or a standard if I was going to ride like that.

And don't take my word as implying that I think all riders who obey all traffic laws are poseurs because I surely don't. I agree that there are a LOT of riders out there who should have there keys taken away because of how irresponsbly they ride - but to say that anyone who speeds is a menace to society and the motorcycling community as a whole is laughable.

News flash * there is absolutely nothing wrong with riding a wheelie down a deserted county road. If I fall it's my , literally and figuratively. I take responsibility for myself and my actions and don't ask anything from anyone else.

I don't claim anything MC related on my insurance, so don't bring up the idea of me jacking up your rates either.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #20
Schmitty
um... i like beer.

Bike(s):
04 Gixxer 750
06 Honda 300EX

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
this thread is gay.
nobody likes a showoff that has no consideration for the safety of themselves or others around them.
That being said, if a group leader says its going to be a casual ride, then thats the pace they need to set. Most riders will try to keep up even if they don't have the skills to do soo.
If you think this thread is gay why would you post on it?

I never knew that people had a talk about the kind of ride, style of riding, and the kind of safety they expect before the ride. Like i said, I haven't been on a group ride with anyone on this site. My friends that don't ride fast just take it easy and ride the speed limit or whatever they are comfortable with. My friends that ride fast do what they want away from the others. I was just wondering how ya'll do it. Thanks for the info Squeaky. A run down of the ride is something that i can follow and respect. And just like everyone else, if i don't feel comfortable or don't agree with the rules then i ride somewhere else. Well... I'd prolly ride the same ride but at another time cuz i've seen some pics and some of the rides have some badass scenery.

Advertisement