MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #41
Drumboy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
Is it possible to make any of the dirt trim ones street legal?
and you put lights/blinkers etc. on it. You'll need up upgraded stator to power the lights.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sm setup grmrpnttr916 Super Motards 0 05-06-2013 06:20 PM
New Here and looking to buy an SM wiz12 Super Motards 5 05-26-2012 12:07 AM
Boots? Dainese Torq-Out Air, Alpinestars SM-X5 or SM-X R Air? racerx454 Gear Talk 3 07-07-2011 07:12 AM
Can we get an SM section PLEASE!!!! jetcycles Forum Updates & Feedback 26 04-10-2008 04:11 PM
SM videos TxSandman General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 05-05-2007 01:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #42
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

625 SMC

MNovell was selling it and I really liked but but $5,500 seemed kinda high for a dirtbike. I went home, checked the prices, called him the next day and it was gone...

Worse than that, he sold it to a guy that hangs out or lives near me and I see it at Heights bars sometimes during after work happy hour.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:10 PM   #43
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

anyhow, those that know me, know you can play around on my bike. just find a location where I can play too!

drumboy...you live in the heights?
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:18 PM   #44
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

Yeah, at the Alexan apartments right off I-10. Please don't steal my bike. Wait, it's a big green dirt bike, nobody wants it.

I remember you said you lived nearby when I was selling the pit bull stand. I want to check out your SM sometime.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #45
Mad Max

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Mad Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
no he'll be going through cylinder heads like crazy go suzuki yam or kawi.
nah. just be prepared to go though the motor good once if it is used. cylinder heads are not the problem...the stock valving can be. a head rebuilt with coated stainless valves and heavy duty springs with a longer duration cam that's easier on the valves are getting over 200 hrs of runtime. i would be more concerned with the rod breaking and punching open the cases on a crf motor. Also, go through your tranny with a fine tooth comb...the gears take a beating during SM useage, i replaced a pair of mine and did some internal mods to help oil flow in between the gears.

i only have about 8 hrs of time on my motor since i rebuilt it. my schedule is valve check about every 5-7 hrs. motor oil change about 5hrs if you are street riding it, but i change it every 2 hrs when doing trackdays (lunchtime). tranny oil every 4 hrs with the gear oil i've been running, but i'd drop it to 2 hrs if i was regular oil in the tranny at a trackday. other than that, you should be able to get pretty good life from a fresh crank and piston. the engine holds ~24oz of oil with filter change, the tranny i'm running 1 quart.

definatly more maintenance than a streetbike with routine air filter cleanings, frequent oil changes, frequent valve checks, new spark plug, etc. they like the love.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #46
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #47
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

good point Max, these MX bikes converted to SM trim are being used in conditions that differ slightly from what they are designed for. maintenance is not an issue with these bikes if you're mechanically inclined. It's lack of maintenance that leads to SM horror stories. oil changes and valve checks are par for the course on fire breathing four strokes. after a few services, you'll have the maintenance down to an art!!! it's good to see that most of us contributing to this thread are up to the challenge to begin with.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #48
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Who wants to by my GSXR?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #49
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1 View Post
Max, would you suggest a make other than the Honda then?
i can't speak for max, but i can say most of the SM's are reliable with a good maintenance routine. i'm not much of a track junky, but through my research i have concluded the Husky suits my needs with reasonable maint. and good track record(not on the track that is, just happy customers with working bikes). IMO KTM makes a very nice motorcycle, probably better than the japanese do(IMO of course). I would get the bike that suits your needs and has good parts availability and good dealer support.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #50
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
Is it possible to make any of the dirt trim ones street legal?
i think i am getting my inspection sticker and green sheet tomorrow!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #51
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

don't mean to it out...but insurance is cheap on these things! $224 for the year! that includes theft! i paid that in a week I bet for my 929
Old 10-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #52
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

I should be getting my bike back next week. YES, Aprilia has had a ton of issues with the sxv. I'm told that there is a lot more quality control going into the motors now. If you aren't in a hurry, wait and see how my bike does.

ALSO, CMRA is going to be making some changes to the motard structure next year. I called and asked. In an effort to give the smaller motards a better chance, ALL the 450 and up bikes will run together.

That being said, IF the improved Aprilia motor turns out to be more reliable... heheheheh well, there is always the rider that factors in. As far as power goes, there is no comparison.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #53
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

yes, i spoke with Jody about his Aprilia, he's not real happy with the engines reliability issue.. So, i'm going to steer completely away from those!
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #54
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
working on a motoped

A lot of people are. I love Aprilia and I have faith AF1 will take care of me. Ask Larry M. about his 450's performace though!

I understand the concerns about reliability which is why I said it people have time to wait and see how my new motor is...

I may race SM next year in CMRA. If I do, I'll probably buy another motor and bring it with me to race weekends. I hear they swap out fast. (ugh)

Old 10-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #55
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Here are my thoughts

Just my thoughts then you decide.

I know from building and modifying serveral bikes that you are going to start out with a bike and a plan for modifying. Then your going to ride and modify and ride and modify and on and on. You're going to dump a bunch of money in it that you want even be able to keep track of. I would plan to start out with a bike you know you'll be able to make all you want it to be because when you go to sell it to trade up you are going to loose your .

I SM'd an XR650R (I'm not necessarily recommending this bike) but here is what I have noticed. This bike was built to run the Baja 1000 at 100mph for 1000 miles in extreme conditions. This motor doesn't even have to be rebuilt after all this! But the Pro's do rebuild it of course. Most of the amatures just keep riding it. My plan was to ride this bike on the street which is far different from riding on a true Supermoto track. Also from what I've seen so far (please correct me if I'm mistaken) we don't really have any true SM tracks around here. The tracks I've seen are more like running these bikes hard on the street. There are no hairpin turns and switchbacks, no jumps and no dirt. Under the real SM track condition I think you need a bike that's much more like a MX bike. On the tracks we have around here and for street purposes I think having a little bigger bike with longer range higher speed ability is just the ticket.

Now if we start getting some true SM tracks around here I think the whole story changes in what bike you should choose. I would look for a bike that you don't practically have to rebuild everytime you do a track day that has plenty top end speed with a little more mobility than a street bike and can just keep going and going and going.

These are just my thoughts from my perspective. I've owned quite a few bike s and have had an SM for about a year now but I'm not track savvy or experienced. So feel free to add/subtract from this or ignore it.
XRCajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #56
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
working on a motoped

I'd say you were spot on with your comments.

In the end, it comes down to what the rider wants. I wanted lightweight and lots of power. Add in that I like the Aprilia brand and my choice was easy. Others factor in $$$ and buy used. That is can be very smart especially becasue we all know mods/udgrades don't bring in much return when it comes time to sell.

If it weren't for Aprilia, I'd go with Husquavarna (sp?). Prolly a 510SMR. I also like to be a bit different so unless honda/yamaha/suz came out with something really earth shattering, I doubt I would buy one.

I'm really hoping for a SM track soon.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #57
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
I'd say you were spot on with your comments.

In the end, it comes down to what the rider wants. I wanted lightweight and lots of power. Add in that I like the Aprilia brand and my choice was easy. Others factor in $$$ and buy used. That is can be very smart especially becasue we all know mods/udgrades don't bring in much return when it comes time to sell.

If it weren't for Aprilia, I'd go with Husquavarna (sp?). Prolly a 510SMR. I also like to be a bit different so unless honda/yamaha/suz came out with something really earth shattering, I doubt I would buy one.

I'm really hoping for a SM track soon.
Okay Carbon that's it now you just make a choice. We just made it easy for you. Good Luck, and call us when it's ready to ride!
XRCajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #58
Bagwell

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
Various Equipment for various uses.
Dirt, Street, Track, Dual Sport, I like em all.

I think the XR650R is a great bike for a tard. Like XrCajun says its a little heavy and long legged for true tight Supermoto racing but it can definitely go to the track. I know a few people with Xr650R motards and they are very happy with them. The XR650R is much better on the street around these parts than the smaller woods or motocross bikes.

XRCajun: its been a long time since I have seen you. Remember that day up in the forest when we had that little XR200 chasing behind us? hehe

Vaughn
Bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #59
Vandals
Scooter

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

sell your 636 to me as a parts bike...then i could have a 636 for street and a 636 for track
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #60
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

ya, $$$ was the only reason I chose the 426. Here are some of the factors that are directly proportional to costs. Firstly, I bought it for cheap. Secondly, I found the wheels/tires/chain/sprocket/axle sliders/brakes for cheap. Thirdly, there's a huge ebay market for yz parts. Fourth, because parts from 99-current yamahas wr's and yz's bolt right up, from their 125 2smoke up to their 450s. And finally, fifth, because there are a ton of aftermarket parts that are available for this bike and all the other brother/sister bikes in the yamaha catalog.

Advertisement