Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

help with adjustments after cleaning carbs

Okay, so I just cleaned my carbs and re-installed them on the bike. Everything seems to be running fine, in fact in most cases better than what it was before. However .... before I was able to just hammer the throttle coming off the line (well, as much as a 250 can anyways), but now I have to be easy on it because too much throttle in first starting from a stop and the motor starts knocking and I have no power... almost like I'm in too high of a gear

Any thoughts?
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
valve adjustments ? Reemdog General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-03-2012 08:37 AM
suspension adjustments Nasty09 How To's and Q & A's 2 10-29-2008 11:05 PM
Cleaning Carbs Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 07-22-2008 09:11 PM
cleaning carbs.. graigcat General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 06-21-2008 07:33 PM
Chain Adjustments WFO How To's and Q & A's 9 08-01-2006 07:53 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Sounds like the fuel isn't providing the acceleration 'squirt' to compensate for a large load before venturi vacuum picks up the slack; I don't usually work with carburators but did help a friend's brother with a 97 Kat that didn't run for 2 years Saturday and it took some time before we got the bowls filled before the throttles operated properly. Sure the idle is set correctly and its not just a stall off the line?
Old 10-22-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
hardcoresteve
Hero since birth

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 R6s
1983 FS50 moped

Send a message via AIM to hardcoresteve
thomas get a new bike! btw i need to come pick my stuff up..sorry if its been cluttering your casa. school pwns me
hardcoresteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Well, I'd like to get this bike running like a champ first before I sell it and make it someone else's problem. As far as stalling off the line, you think messing with the idle speed control is the solution, or the idle mixture?

And yeah Steve, come get your stuff. I've already used your cooler to bring drinks and snacks at my daughter's soccer games
Old 10-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

You could have a dirty circuit, vacuum leak, torn diaphra, or a few other things. Did you have any of these symptoms before you took the carbs apart?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
or you can just give me the bike and be done with it

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #7
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
If the idle is too low, the vacuum across the diaphram won't be substantial once you begin to roll the throttle. The plunger squirts a small amount of gas into the venturi to help prevent stalling when rolling on it, cause a carburator works off of vacuum. There is a transition time of idle to throttle/accel that the squirt fills.

It's easy to start with the idle as a basis, then work with the mixture from there. Assuming that nothing was moved/damaged(unlikely) then everything should still be in the original location before it was removed. So only differences is unclogged passageways or torn gaskets(unmetered air leaks, leaner mixtured just mentioned above.)

Not my for-tay but I'd check what idle spec is, I didn't realize my busa was idling low until I actually checked the spec one day... comes off line alot smoother, even though fuel inj; so I checked and set my kat(carb) the next day.

From there I would play with the mixture as you need. If concerned about an air leak, carefully spray with carb cleaner(flamable) to look for leaks. Once running properly, assuming idle didn't fix it and the mixture adj. did, may have to reset idle adjustment.... fyi, but sure ur aware; should be done hot...

Advertisement