MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
ZUlater

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2001 GSXR 600

Need advice on some parts I bought

I ordered this:

"RK 520 Quick Acceleration Kit for an 01-03 Suzuki GSXR600. Chain ratio goes from stock 16-45 to 15-45. 530 Stock Chain to RK 520XS0 BLACK. Sprockets are high quality JT.

RK Street Quick Acceleration Kit

RK chain and sprocket kits are matched and balanced for maximum performance and durability.
Each kit includes the correct grade and length RK O-ring chain and precision matched sprockets to increase acceleration on modern sportbikes.
Rear sprockets made of 7075 T6 aluminum, fronts made of C45 & SCM415 steel."

Bought it off of ebay earlier, then a friend told me that a 520 chain will stretch and not last as long and that I shouldnt have bought the kit. I paid $125+ s&h, that seems kind of cheap, is this a cheap brand or is it good?

Thanks for all advice
ZUlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need 2 stroke advice (parts sourcing) Johnny77095 Vintage / Cafe Racers 11 08-25-2013 08:01 PM
Bought a Helmet that Doesn't Match - Advice AndreaJ200 Gear Talk 48 12-16-2009 10:41 AM
just bought bunxx Off Topic 45 03-28-2009 05:15 PM
Should Have Bought A..... DvlRacer Off Topic 91 12-18-2008 09:36 PM
look what i just bought Mad Max General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 03-24-2006 07:43 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
eugene

sounds about right.
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
520 conversion is nice to have.....but you do sacrifice chain-life for performance. all chains stretch btw.

i'm sure Motorcycles Unlimited could've gave you something better though. they won't sell you junk, and they'll be straight forward with you if it's worth it or not.

nothing wrong with ordering some stuff online....but if you have no clue what you're ordering....might as well get it local from people who know their stuff....and can probably give you the same price, if not better

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
Master_Of_Pain
Powa Ranga Action Figure

Shouldn't stretch too badly on a 600, won't last as long as a 530 OE chain, for sure. What I'd be worried about is the chain tensile strength - it should be rated at least as high as the manufacturer specifies on the OE chain. You don't want to catch that upside your head. +1 on Motorcycles Unlimited/Patrick advice.
Master_Of_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
ZUlater

Bike(s):
2001 GSXR 600

I called before ordering it and the guy told me that the chain is rated at a higher tensil strength than the 530. The only thing that concerns me is the brand, I dont want to get a crappy brand, but after reading the guys feedback on ebay, it seems that people like the kit and no one had a problem with it. Well thanks for the advice. Also, I did contact Motorcycles Unlimited, however I wanted to get a a 15 tooth sprocket up front and they did not have a kit for that, so I would have to but everything individually, which would have probaly been a little more expensive.
ZUlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:40 AM   #6
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Absolutely nothing wrong with RK. They make a good chain.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

RK makes good stuff. There is more to chain life than stretch. The sprocket is narrower and the roller on the chain is shorter (or narrower to match the thiner sprocket). Where the force is transfered from sprocket to chain and back again is on the face of the tooth. Now that it is thinner, it is going to wear down sooner. That will mean the chain will need to stretch to meet the new distance between teeth. At the same time, as the chain stretches it will wear the sprocket to match the space between the rollers. BOTH items, chain and sprocket, are part of the equation. That is why you don't put a new chain on a used sprocket, it'll stretch out much faster.

All that being said, RK makes good chains. I'm sure they make lower quality ones too but you prolly got a good one. If it is the RK kit I am thinking about then it is pre-packaged, all in one, chain and sprockets. That means that RK picked that chain for your bike. I'm sure they picked a decent chain for you. Sure, it may wear out a bit faster. Are also switching from a steel to an aluminum sprocket with this kit? The aluminum will be lighter but wear faster. On a 600, unless you are clutching wheelies all the time you won't have much to worry about.

Make sure it is installed properly. If you want it to last, keep it clean and properly adjusted.

In case you were wondering, yes, you WILL notice the improvement with your new purchase. Enjoy it and be safe.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement