MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2005, 11:53 PM   #1
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

doing track days on a tight budget

if you have a desire to checkout the track, but are on a tight budget then this post is for you...* :cool:

one of the fundamentals for doing a track day is having the appropriate riding gear... for 'c' group (beginner's group) riding in lstd track days, you need either a full textile or leather suit...

purchasing a suit can cost you anywhere from $250 to $1200 depending on the options you go with... not to mention another $200 for boots and another $100 for gloves... the costs can be an eye opener, no doubt...*

so now what to do?... simple... do what i did... RENT the gear from Patrick at http://www.trackleather.com... all you need is a credit card... and for just $99.00 you get boots, gloves and a suit for the day... problem solved...

so now all you need to do is register for your track day - and you're good to go...

ok... but what if you spent your money on gear rental and now you're outta cash...

well... believe it or not... you can still ride... for free!... yes... for FREE... all you have to do is work 1/2 day as a cornerworker... and you'll get a 1/2 credit to ride for free... what's cornerworking?... a cornerworker is the person who watches the track and helps notify riders of potential track hazzards using a set of flags... they basically work with track control to help keep riders safe... i'll post up another thread here soon about this... spots get taken pretty early though - but hey - it's worth a try if you're really wantin to ride but are a little short on the green...* *:biggthumpup:

so you've got your gear... registered yourself or coordinated a cornerworking spot with the track day folks...

then last but not least is your bike... and there isn't really anything super special that needs to be done to your bike... in fact the the folks over at LoneStarTrackDays have an excellent writeup already posted so you can check out what kind of condition your bike needs to be in before they'll let you on the track...

and that's it... if you put forth just a little effort, you really can get some track time in on a budget...

meh, just tryin to help those of you that are interested but have not yet made it out there b/c of costs...

hope to see ya'll out there sometime...* *right:
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
value of track days... lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 03-03-2012 11:12 PM
texas track days*ride smart*lone star track days DC_The_Boss Taking it to the Track 57 03-19-2009 10:26 PM
Why do you, personally, do track days? Or why did you attend your first track day? cdill35 Taking it to the Track 118 11-05-2008 09:25 PM
Track Gear on a Budget DvlRacer Gear Talk 36 04-04-2008 10:38 PM
Tony Terrell Benefit Track Day, June 8th via Lone Star Track Days jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 2 05-10-2007 11:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2005, 12:02 AM   #2
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Re: doing track days on a tight budget

FYI, sign up for corner work when the schedule is first up (beginning of year). i tried to get spots for the year early in the season and they were all full . every track day that nears i read where they need more people but too late for me then.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:07 AM   #3
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
FYI, sign up for corner work when the schedule is first up (beginning of year). i tried to get spots for the year early in the season and they were all full . every track day that nears i read where they need more people but too late for me then.

also just remembered... if your birthday is coming up soon or whatever... you could always ask for one of these from your wife, g/f, relatives...* right:
Old 08-11-2005, 12:09 AM   #4
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

:laughing6:

my old lady is getting my last track day in october (was supposed to be in september ) as a anniversary gift.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool

Actually you know what would be a good idea I think for the trackday Organizations?
If on their website they placed some type of cornerworking list so people can see what's still open if anything. *Like a PDF or something that says when there's an open spot. *
Just givin out suggestions! *right:
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Old 08-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #6
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):

wow arturo... sweeeeet... *

see peepesez!!!... *told yaz!!!... * :cool:
Old 08-11-2005, 12:14 AM   #7
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool
Actually you know what would be a good idea I think for the trackday Organizations?
If on their website they placed some type of cornerworking list so people can see what's still open if anything. *Like a PDF or something that says when there's an open spot. *
when you ask, they ask what days you want to do it. after a few emails they finally reply back with a list. then you scroll down and get disapointed.

i believe you can also corner the whole day in exchange for a whole track day.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:24 AM   #8
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
when you ask, they ask what days you want to do it. after a few emails they finally reply back with a list. then you scroll down and get disapointed.

i believe you can also corner the whole day in exchange for a whole track day.
Yes this is all true... And I know currently you have to email before you can get a"list". That's y I said its better if it readily available for us to d/l from the site or somethin of that sort, so we don't have to be waiting on email replies... Just make things a little faster u know? Then once you see what's open (if anything) then u can email Jerrell & tell him what spot u want
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Old 08-11-2005, 07:29 AM   #9
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool
that is an excellent idea Gianni, esp. since ive signed up for these spots throughout the year but, I cant quite remember what days i am working corners, so I have to email Jerrell to find out, making him do research to find out if i'm signed up for the upcoming event or not,, and I hate to have him check everytime.

Jeff, is this possible to do???? :dontknow:
Old 08-11-2005, 11:39 AM   #10
speedismo
OCD for speed

, thanks for the post Henry, I am feeling so much better now.
and I think Gianni's a good idea, makes the process much more efficient..

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:21 PM   #11
S14

I am really interested in signing up for a track day but there isnt any way to get to do corner work anymore right? I'd hav eto wait until next season?
Old 08-11-2005, 12:30 PM   #12
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14
I am really interested in signing up for a track day but there isnt any way to get to do corner work anymore right? I'd hav eto wait until next season?
maybe not... to get the ball rolling - start here...

http://www.motohouston.com/index.php?topic=1394.0

:biggthumpup:
Old 08-11-2005, 12:53 PM   #13
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

i think they can never have enough cornerworkers.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:45 PM   #14
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14
Just do it! right:

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Old 08-12-2005, 12:50 AM   #15
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

I have paged Jeff on another thread to check this one out..
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
Old 08-12-2005, 01:00 AM   #16
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
i think they can never have enough cornerworkers.
This is true... CMRA has about 2-3 corner workers at EACH corner! I mean I know this is not exactly a race at all and there's really no need for all those CWs. But having 2 or 3 extra total couldn't hurt could it? :dontknow:
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
Old 08-12-2005, 07:24 AM   #17
MacMan/LSTD

The CMRA usually has 2-3 corner workers per corner because our Prov Nov riders need to work to remove their yellow shirts.
In years past in the beginning of the season we would have 5-6 people per corner. One of my first duties as President of the CMRA in 2004 was to change our cornerworking policy to spread out our schedule for cornerworkers to ensure we had a reasonable number in each corner throughout the year. We always had too many in the beginning of the season, then we had to pay people to work in the latter part of the year. It was costing the club money and we were not utilizing the man power/resources we had at hand.

LSTD only utilizes 1 per corner for several reasons.
First off if at TWS (Texas World Speedway) we had 2 people per station that would be 26 extra riders on the track in the morning and afternoon.
That would decrease the number of paid riders that we would be able to put into each group.
As some of you may be aware we as an organization are quite sensative about the number of riders we feel comfortable with in each group. It has been one of our trademarks and it took awhile for other organizations to follow suit.
We simply could not afford to have that many corner workers at an event. TWS (Texas World Speedway) and MSR have raised their rates dramatically in the 5 years we have been organizing events not too mention the 200% increase in our Insurance rates.* We have made every attempt to keep the cost's down to our customers. Remember, LSTD pioneered consistant low cost trackdays on a monthly basis in Texas in the spring of 2000.
We have a successful formula for our cornerworking program utilizing people in cornerworking stations along with instructor/control riders.
It seems to be working well for us. My only gripe is the Sunday night phone calls we receive from riders cancelling their cornerworking spot because "the dog ate their homework". This always puts us in a bind making it difficult to have a sub fill their spot.
I hope this explains your question.
Closed Thread

Advertisement