MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #61
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
ok, i could have sworn that the 87 ford bronco II that i had, the fuel injected right into the cyclinder, i guess i could be wrong but i have rebuilt 3 of them, maybe i just never really noticed
Not sure on a Bronco of that vintage, but this is an LT1/4 intake, lines point to injectors in the ports, very close to the head/port face. Most are designed to spray on the intake valve to help cool and atomize directly into the cylinder. Also, your average plastic tipped automotve injector won't last long in 1600 degree heat...
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I've resigned to the fact that once again I've voted for the loser logan5 The Circus 20 11-05-2008 03:52 PM
I've finally sold my bike!!! MeetJoeAsian Off Topic 1 09-07-2006 02:29 PM
you've wrecked your bike - now what?!?... SBK Pilot Off Topic 15 02-12-2006 01:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #62
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
what is the best mod that you can add to any Bike for $100
cut open the airbox for free, most bike are a little rich anyway
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #63
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Getting the suspension set up at Motorcycles Unlimited.... shameless plug..

Or drop a tooth off the countershaft sprocket.. most have enough adjustment in the chain, and it will wake RIGHT UP!!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #64
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Well, to any bike? You can put an I-shock on a phifty. Wheelies come easier, and the bike isn't so spongy.
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #65
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Getting the suspension set up at Motorcycles Unlimited.... shameless plug..
Would it make any difference to a rider like me. . .or is it just for knee-dragging-track-folk?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #66
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua View Post
Well, to any bike? You can put an I-shock on a phifty. Wheelies come easier, and the bike isn't so spongy.
Oops. Sorry. I read "any" wrong, don't think you meant it the way I interpreted it.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #67
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Would it make any difference to a rider like me. . .or is it just for knee-dragging-track-folk?
Is the first thing everyone should do.. you will be amazed at the difference when everything is set for YOU, rather than some nameless 125 lbs test rider.. assuming the shop even baselined it when sold.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #68
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

I'll put all of my postwhore MC questions in your thread Mala, so people who don't frequent the postwhore threads can have a whack at 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown
How do dzus fasteners work?

I mean, I know how they work, but what's involved in putting them on your bike?

What product or substance is best for getting all of the road and brake grime out from the swingarm/undertail/axle?

I want something that I can spray on and rinse off - like gasoline but without the harmful side effects. - There's no way to scrub all those crevices.

Anybody know anything about the status of the lane splitting bill in the Texas house? Has it died?

I'm interested in getting a wheel chock for the bike of my truck, so that I don't have to use straps anymore. Anyone recommend a good one?

I want to go to synthetic oil in the bike. Any mileage restrictions or other info. that I should know before I do the swap? Can you use Royal Purple?

I've always heard that using mismatched tires (front and rear) is bad and can cause head shake/steering problems. Why is this? What does having two different compounds do to your handling?

Has Michelin ever provided the new tires to replace those that were affected by the recall?

If you are out of town, on the bike, and you can only find regular unleaded (low octane) I've heard that it is safe to use an aftermarket octane-booster. If you're only pumping about four gallons, is it still OK to pour in an entire bottle of STP?

What are the practical differences between an 'O' and 'X' ring chain?

What steps should be taken to get a bike back into shape after it's had a lengthy sit? Say, more than a year, with gas and all fluids in it.

Beside the obvious safety concerns, what ramifications are there for removing the reflectors from your bike? Do you need to have at least one red one at the rear of the bike? What about the yellow ones on the forks?

I've heard of an additive that you can add to your radiator mix that allegedly keeps coolant temperatures artificially low. I don't remember what it's called, but does anyone know? And is it hype or does it work?

Straight through sportbike exhausts seem to be all the rage. Some of them do sound good, but it's always been my understanding that an engine needs back pressure to run right.

If you just take the muffler off of your bike it's bad, but what about RaceFit exhausts? Do they have something in them that creates the necessary back pressure?

What is the best dyno brand? By that I mean, which brand gives the most realistic numbers - if you rule out user error / manipulation?

Can I run race fuel in my bike at the drag strip? If my only mods are filter/pipe/PCIII w tune? Do I need to have a second tune for higher octane fuel?

In layman's terms can someone run through the difference between rake and trail for me. I think I understand them, but I have trouble explaining them to other people and I take this as a sign that I don't really understand them. How do variances in them affect handling?

Dum question - what exactly is the stator?

What is meant by the term "cassette style gearbox?"

Once I have all of the basic engine upgrades out of the way I want to start working on building the motor. I know that a "hotter" cam can provide more ponies - through longer valve opening durations, what other accompanying mods are required to support a hot cam?

I know nitrous oxide is considered overkill on the street, but let's say I was interested in using it at the track. With today's improvements in progressive controllers, is there any reason why I should consider a wet set-up over a dry set-up, if dry can get you a lot of ponies without all of the extra cost/danger to the motor?

Is wet more dangerous?

Will a tail section off of the late '90s SRAD GSX-Ride Smart fit onto an '02 sub frame? If so, what modifications do you think it would require? I have a rashed tail on the '02 and have always liked the old SRAD "hump" is this a project worth considering?

Shamefully, I power up pretty much all of my wheelies.

When I can get them up with the clutch without spinning the rear tire they do seem to be easier to balance, but how much extra wear does the clutch endure from clutching up wheelies?

Is there a clutch kit for an XR-50? I like the idea of practicing on the small bike with the same controls as the big bike. If there is such a kit, is it worth it to put it on, or should one just go for an 80 or a 110? These bigger bikes have clutches, correct?
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=38920

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #69
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Is the first thing everyone should do.. you will be amazed at the difference when everything is set for YOU, rather than some nameless 125 lbs test rider.. assuming the shop even baselined it when sold.
Sounds curious enough to try just to see.

I wish I could flat foot it. . .but after looking into it, I decided to just suck it up and live with mastering the art of motoballet (being on tip toes). Truth be told, it's a stretch for me to really anticipate pushing Mogee enough that lowering the suspension would be a problem. . .but, I can dream of the day.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:20 PM   #70
gixxerbill

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

1. Who said what body position is right and wrong
? I mean why do people think you need to be a certain way?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #71
sillywabbit

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Firebolt

Member Garage

Texlurch for MotoHouston Member of the month....=]
Old 10-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #72
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Gixxerbill, I'm not sure what part you're responding to, but if I understand correctly it's physics: weight distribution, center of gravity, etc. In my case, I need to change my body position b/c I'm causing myself discomfort. :/:
Old 10-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #73
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
Here, here!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #74
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post

Because on the newer SS bikes with clip ons, you tend to get lazy, straighten out the elbows, and put all your weight on the wrists. This leads not only to pain, but bumps and side winds add unintended steering inputs...
Old 10-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #75
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Sounds curious enough to try just to see.

I wish I could flat foot it. . .but after looking into it, I decided to just suck it up and live with mastering the art of motoballet (being on tip toes). Truth be told, it's a stretch for me to really anticipate pushing Mogee enough that lowering the suspension would be a problem. . .but, I can dream of the day.
Not sure on yours how much you can slide the forks up in the triple frame, but lowered correctly shouldn't add any ill handling effects, just less ground clearance.... we didn't have a choice with Kelly's bike, and she still is on the of her feet.. and I can romp hers around a 100 mph rough corner no problemo....
Old 10-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #76
Blue91

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
here is a question... why are cars fuel injectors in the cylinder and my busa is before the intake valve?

another... why do girls get on the back of a bike with some complete stranger but would not get in a car with the same person under the same circumstances?
My car's injectors are in the intake manifold before the intake valve. They don't fire directly into the cylinder.

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #77
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Originally Posted by cashtown
How do dzus fasteners work?

I mean, I know how they work, but what's involved in putting them on your bike?

Basically a com lock 1/4 turn fastener. You rivet them on; takes drilling a few holes and making the spring wire plates, or buying them

I'm interested in getting a wheel chock for the bike of my truck, so that I don't have to use straps anymore. Anyone recommend a good one?

I use one called the Bike Grab.. pricey but supports the bike by itself, and allows you to tie it down off the frame and not smash the suspension down. You'll still have to tie it down, I don't know of any that I would trust... Get the quick release plate and it will hold the bike up in the garage to check oil put on the rear stand, or just park the bike for you.

I want to go to synthetic oil in the bike. Any mileage restrictions or other info. that I should know before I do the swap? Can you use Royal Purple?

Only issue I have ever had was Royal Purple will seak out and find every weak seal in the motor.. very slick.. not sure how it would do with wet clutches either

I've always heard that using mismatched tires (front and rear) is bad and can cause head shake/steering problems. Why is this? What does having two different compounds do to your handling?

Different tread patterns will sometimes cause it, but different compounds won't

If you are out of town, on the bike, and you can only find regular unleaded (low octane) I've heard that it is safe to use an aftermarket octane-booster. If you're only pumping about four gallons, is it still OK to pour in an entire bottle of STP?

Nope, one can treats 20 gallons or so, meter accordingly (1/4 can for 5 gallons)

What are the practical differences between an 'O' and 'X' ring chain?

Price and advertising...

I've heard of an additive that you can add to your radiator mix that allegedly keeps coolant temperatures artificially low. I don't remember what it's called, but does anyone know? And is it hype or does it work?

Watter Wetter is one, and does work

Can I run race fuel in my bike at the drag strip? If my only mods are filter/pipe/PCIII w tune? Do I need to have a second tune for higher octane fuel?

Race (higher octane)burns slower, so without a changed tune up all you gain is the cool smell, and probably slower ET's

I know nitrous oxide is considered overkill on the street, but let's say I was interested in using it at the track. With today's improvements in progressive controllers, is there any reason why I should consider a wet set-up over a dry set-up, if dry can get you a lot of ponies without all of the extra cost/danger to the motor?

Is wet more dangerous?

Main issue I have always had with dry kits is you have to work the injectors that much harder, which overheats them and shortens their lifespan. Wet kits add more parts, but I feel like they are a more precise tune.. but that debate will rage on forever..

Now, someone else needs to step up to the plate and answer some of these! I ain't wanting to answer all of them!!

Last edited by texlurch; 10-18-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #78
Vandals
Scooter

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

Quote:

Race (higher octane)burns slower, so without a changed tune up all you gain is the cool smell, and probably slower ET's
i beg to differ. I run race fuel in every bike ive ever owned, and the extra octane did not slow it down. it woke it up. race fuel made my ninja 250 run so much better,and kept the fuel system super clean. same goes for 600's 1000's
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #79
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals View Post
i beg to differ. I run race fuel in every bike ive ever owned, and the extra octane did not slow it down. it woke it up. race fuel made my ninja 250 run so much better,and kept the fuel system super clean. same goes for 600's 1000's
Can you back that up with timeslips, or seat of the pants? The only time a higher octane fuel will make more power is if you are having pre-ignition issues with a lower grade.

It may "feel" better, or "smell" better, but actually make more power is a tough sell.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #80
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
I vote gixxerbill MotoHouston Member of the month and honorary Mod
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement