Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Everything I've ever wanted to know about a bike but was too afraid to ask

OK. I said I'd make the thread. Here it be. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing that I've been riding as long as I have and I don't know what I don't know. :/: Guess I'll just be brave, cop to the ignorance and learn.

1st Question: How egregious a mistake did I make when I rode Mogee on the beach but didn't wash him afterward? Has the sand worked its way into places where it has likely caused damage?

2nd Question: Am I the only freak who sometimes--not often--worries out about the possibility of Mogee just disintigrating from underneath me? It's like when I ride a cheap carnival ride. . .at the worst possible point, my mind's eye sees a sheer pin (sp?) slowly backing it's way out or breaking causing me and others to plunge to an ignoble death. It doesn't happen always, just every now and again, and the thought comes from now where. . .

3rd Question: I've changed my body position, experimented all day long and still can't find a way to keep my throttle hand (mostly) from going numb. Normal?

4th Question: Is it bad form to ride with my middle two fingers always perched on the clutch lever? Do other people do this a lot?

Anyone else have a too-embarassed-to-ask-it question? Post it up.
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I've resigned to the fact that once again I've voted for the loser logan5 The Circus 20 11-05-2008 03:52 PM
I've finally sold my bike!!! MeetJoeAsian Off Topic 1 09-07-2006 02:29 PM
you've wrecked your bike - now what?!?... SBK Pilot Off Topic 15 02-12-2006 01:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua View Post
OK. I said I'd make the thread. Here it be. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing that I've been riding as long as I have and I don't know what I don't know. :/: Guess I'll just be brave, cop to the ignorance and learn.

1st Question: How egregious a mistake did I make when I rode Mogee on the beach but didn't wash him afterward? Has the sand worked its way into places where it has likely caused damage?

2nd Question: Am I the only freak who sometimes--not often--worries out about the possibility of Mogee just disintigrating from underneath me? It's like when I ride a cheap carnival ride. . .at the worst possible point, my mind's eye sees a sheer pin (sp?) slowly backing it's way out or breaking causing me and others to plunge to an ignoble death. It doesn't happen always, just every now and again, and the thought comes from now where. . .

3rd Question: I've changed my body position, experimented all day long and still can't find a way to keep my throttle hand (mostly) from going numb. Normal?

4th Question: Is it bad form to ride with my middle two fingers always perched on the clutch lever? Do other people do this a lot?

Anyone else have a too-embarassed-to-ask-it question? Post it up.
1. maybe, maybe not. Salt-sand is about the worst thing you can put on metal parts, and needs a quick wash after you ride in it.

2. freaky, yes.. if there was only a single shear pin holding the entire works together... whoa! I shudder to even consider...

3. keep your elbows bent, support yourself with your stomach muscles. Try your best to "crawl" your hand up to keep your wrist as straight as possible.. RELAX! Maybe try one of those throttle healer deals..

4. I always have one or two fingers on the clutch and brake around town..

Is that all???
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Is that all???
Negative sir. But it's all I can think of right now. Thank you for treating my questions with kindness and dignity.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

3. keep your elbows bent, support yourself with your stomach muscles. Try your best to "crawl" your hand up to keep your wrist as straight as possible.. RELAX! Maybe try one of those throttle healer deals..

I agree you must be able to flap you wings meaning if your elbows are not bent especial in the corners and even more when you come to a stop as you weight transfers foward when coming to a stop your wrist will hurt KEEP you weight off of your arms and you can ride all day move move move ... move around in the saddle if not you will get stiff and sore if I dont keep moving esp my long legs my knee will start to hurt from being bent.

Can't help you on your other problems that is all
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

More Questions

Q#5 What's the reasoning behind a kickstand that kills an engine in gear? Did people really have problems with this so much that some engineer had to address it? Always been curious.

Q#6 Is it harmful to use the kickstand to kill the bike too much? How does it work? Laymen's terms please.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Q#7 Can people really light cigarettes off hot tailpipes?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Q#8 How does a sticker affect the integrity of a helmet? Is that true?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
More Questions

Q#5 What's the reasoning behind a kickstand that kills an engine in gear? Did people really have problems with this so much that some engineer had to address it? Always been curious.

Q#6 Is it harmful to use the kickstand to kill the bike too much? How does it work? Laymen's terms please.
5. yes, Large DUH because people actually dump their bike riding around with the sidestand down

6. no, not harmful, same as using the key or the killswitch on the bar. It is basically a light switch in the ignition circuit
Old 10-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Q#8 How does a sticker affect the integrity of a helmet? Is that true?
8. not the sticker but the glue, if it is incompatible with the finish on the helmet. Same as using the wrong kind of paint, or sitting the helmet upside down, can cause a soft spot in the shell of the helmet.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

The sidestand safety switch is to prevent you from riding away with the sidestand down.
It won't hurt anything to kill the bike that way with the possible exception of the fact that the switches are of poor quality and often fail as the bike gets older. It is an easy fix as they can be bypassed if necessary.
It works by killing the ignition if the sidestand is down and the bike is put into gear.

Your earlier question about the hands going numb is often caused by mild carpal tunnel and is often associated with (I hate to say it but...) age. It happens to me too.
I also cover the clutch and brake levers most of the time although I use forefinger and sometimes middle finger to do it.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #11
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
5. yes, Large DUH because people actually dump their bike riding around with the sidestand down
Didn't know that. I've done it on the phifty before but never on a big bike.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #12
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I don't think a sticker is likely to have any effect on helmet integrity nor do I believe that setting the helmet upside down will cause a soft spot.
It's some form of composite (type depending on brand) and they are generally impervious to most adhesives used on stickers. If setting it upside down hurt anything then setting right side up should make the bottom edges get soft. Now dropping it on a hard surface upside down is another story.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 10-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #13
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
I don't think a sticker is likely to have any effect on helmet integrity nor do I believe that setting the helmet upside down will cause a soft spot.
It's some form of composite (type depending on brand) and they are generally impervious to most adhesives used on stickers. If setting it upside down hurt anything then setting right side up should make the bottom edges get soft. Now dropping it on a hard surface upside down is another story.
I think the newer helmets and finishes are quite a bit better, but I know I have seen helmets painted with laquer based paint disintegrate on impacts.. I split one years ago and had a severe concussion and lost 2 days..

But so far a softness from being upside down, again old helmets were bad and it is an ingrained habit...

Sounds like another Mythbusters test... LOL!!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #14
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Q#9 Mogee's key seems completely symmetrical, but more often than not I have to flip it around to insert it. Is this a bad sign?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #15
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Spray a little WD40 in the lock and all will be better.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 10-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #16
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Q#9 Mogee's key seems completely symmetrical, but more often than not I have to flip it around to insert it. Is this a bad sign?
Could be a sign one side is worn more than the other. Should be a mirror image, but if you have a key chain and always are in the habit of putting it in the same way, one side has more wear. Try flipping the key on the ring if that is the case....
Old 10-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #17
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

I've finally worked up the courage to throw an uber-retarded one out there:

Q#10 I never hear people talk about their bikes hydroplaning. . .is there something about bikes that makes them less susceptible?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #18
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

and the answer to the question about lighting a cigarette on the tail pipe

YES YOU CAN BUT it has to be HOT LOL when i go mudding on my big 4 wheeler lots of times i get drunk and lost my lighter so i use the tail pipe to the 4 wheeler LOLL People laugh at me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i think mckee is psychoninja's , ask psychoninja if mckee can take it
Psych0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #19
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

Quote:

Q#10 I never hear people talk about their bikes hydroplaning. . .is there something about bikes that makes them less susceptible?
I have hydroplained my bike many many many times and when i had the harley it was even worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i think mckee is psychoninja's , ask psychoninja if mckee can take it
Psych0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #20
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:

Yep, it is called PSI.. narrower tire has more weight per square inch in the contact patch, and tends to cut thru rather than skim over

Plus most riders are prone to slowing down when there is standing water, as opposed to blowing on thru in the cage.....

You CAN hydroplane a bike.. don't ask...

And if you feel the front end start to float, pop a whooolie to put more weight on the rear tire for traction....

Last edited by texlurch; 10-18-2007 at 02:37 PM.

Advertisement