Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #21
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool
I've always used canyon dancers and never had any issues with grips ripping off.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motorcycle back flip Chris_5.0 General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 01-18-2013 11:56 AM
Finally back in Motorcycle sales!!! badman General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 05-08-2012 04:06 PM
photochop of girl on the back of a motorcycle, funny! tcmatt Off Topic 3 09-24-2006 06:41 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #22
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznhero913 View Post
seriously??? I have so many reservations about putting it in the back of a pickup.
yeah ive taken my bike to san antonio, austin, brenham, all without any problems. if possible use a wheel chock i guess for added safety. but all this time ive been doing it without one

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #23
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

I use soft loops on the lower triple clamps and a set of regular tie downs. No problems yet and the loops only cost 4 bux.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #24
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Only issue I have is the fact you have to compress the forks to keep it stable. But peeps have been doing it for years with no ill effects...
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #25
ufo34
Carlos V

Bike(s):
R.I.Pieces

ufo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #26
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Sold the lifted F250 and got a regular truck so I could get my scooter in easier... then got a Baxley "sport chock" and it is awesome! Place the front wheel in there and ya' barely have to strap 'er down. Tie off the back end to keep it from floppin' around and you're set.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #27
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Cycle Cinch and Baxley for the win!

You won't damage your rotors like some chocks, and you don't have to overly compress the forks. Also the cycle Cinch doesn't tear up the grips or break throttle housings the way the canyon dancers can.

I've used both for the last few years and have only dropped one bike in all of that time.
Not bad when you consider the number of bikes I carry and the amount miles we travel on the race circuit.

I also keep both products in stock.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 10-18-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:35 PM   #28
aznhero913
J.D.

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)
1992 Yamaha Seca (1st one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

You won't damage your rotors like some chocks, and you don't have to overly compress the forks. Also the cycle Cinch doesn't tear up the grips or break throttle housings the way the canyon dancers can.

I've used both for the last few years and have only dropped one bike in all of that time.
Not bad when you consider the number of bikes I carry and the amount miles we travel on the race circuit.

Thanks for the heads up pat.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:49 AM   #29
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

another good tip, especially when trying to save your fork seals and not strapping your bike down too tight, is to tie the bike down as usual with your straps, and then place a bungee cord from loop to loop. That way, when your forks compress if you break hard or something, the loops will stay in place on your bars.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #30
GLD
track junkie

Bike(s):
F2 w/ F3 engine 2001 RC51

I've also just used the ratchets and straps themselves. To hold the front down just loop the strap around the top of the fork pulling down on the triple tree. At the rear I've mounted to subframes and once the heel guard but I wasn't too happy about that.

We also compressed the suspension, get a friend to bounce on it as you tighten down the straps. Reason being as your track bounces down the road your suspension on the bike will too. If it is not already compressed as it compresses one of the hooks could come off. As mentioned above some believe it can cause damage to the suspension and in fact it does. BUT if you don't have a top of the line suspension the damage down is extraordinarily minimal and I don't worry about it.
GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:45 AM   #31
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

This is what I use. The grab holds the bike up by itself. You use soft loops and straps off the frame, and barely pull it down on the suspension; about the same as your normal sag. As it is going down the road you can see the bike moving up and down on the suspension and nothing comes loose.

I use ratchet straps since I have had the friction style work loose in the past.

A little expensive, but since they double as parking stands or work stands in the garage they see plenty of use.

grab wheel trailer all 20
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #32
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

oh, also, i like to knot my straps so that the cam buckles don't come loose. I also tie my ratchet straps so that they won't come loose either. it would be a bad thing to look back at your bike leaning over in the bed of the truck, and even worse to see is sliding down the highway.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #33
t.dubya
Senor Member

Bike(s):
k7 gsxr 600 (now dead)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

+1646546

I used to haul bike around wo baxley chock, after getting it I wondered why i waited so long. Love it for hauling bike and as an inside stand.
t.dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:49 AM   #34
ange062

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'07 ZX-6R race bike
'05 SV650 Street
CMRA Expert #826, #63 Team Supafly Mini-Endurance, #26 IDB Racing BB Endurance

Send a message via AIM to ange062
One important lesson that I did learn, regardless of what you use to tie the bike down:

Dirtbikes need to be left MUCH looser then streetbikes. The first time I hauled my MX bike I blew a fork seal out after cranking it down as hard as I typically do the 600.

I typically use softies on upper triple (or just the bars on MX) and another set on the subframe. I never trust just two tiedowns as I have had the 600 fall over on me once...
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement