MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Customer Exhaust? Anyone Pipe a Bike?

Here's the thing, I'm really likin' the new exhaust or lack there of while riding without my yoshis anymore due to set rear end accident.

Problem being, it is excessively loud, blah blah....

I can get the oems for pennies on the dollar and even been offered to borrow from some good buds here at MH, thanks guys!

But I come to think about it, and if I set the exhaust exit behind the bike it ?won't sound too far off from D&Ds, which retail quite expensive, other then the current pipe exit after the intermediate pipes...

I saw a HMF high mount which retained the rear pegs by routing between tire and rear sets, but not designed for a lower bike; so I thought about mapping and building a set of pipes to route the same way and come out in the rear.

Any idea on pipe thickness? Haven't priced the aluminum to steel, i know steel is cheaper. Hadn't decided on piecing a mandral system and welding or getting someone to bend one piece if steel. Aluminum weight would be nice, steel easier to weld, either way looking to paint flat black.

Most used cans on ebay retail at $300 but I'm leaning towards the louder system. Yoshis were ok, but after the last 200 miles with open header, I'm going stupid with this.... If I pay 300 or more, I'm getting a full system, but would prefer the dual cosmetically; but with my needs for the bike the stock manifold works fine....

So,

1. Ideas for pipe thickness that would withstand 45 deg bends/heat?

2. Know a shop that could bend these pipes? I hadn't checked, but usually the purchaseable tube benders not for the busa's thick and 2 3/4" diam tubing

I'm feeling creative, which usually means I will purchase a decent system after my creativity fails, but its worth a try anyways...
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where to go for custom exhaust pipe? loosenoose General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 07-09-2012 02:36 AM
Dog - the exhaust pipe VDM Off Topic 3 02-16-2011 05:54 PM
Exhaust pipe or no exhaust pipe? LuisG4 General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 02-13-2009 12:13 AM
Can AnYoNe RE-RivEt My ExhAuSt PiPE Houston'sK5 Off Topic 74 09-03-2008 04:32 PM
gold exhaust pipe? boss-hog General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 06-19-2008 04:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

No one knows anyone with a pneumatic bender? come on, they only start at 6k..... I checked....
Old 10-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
most decent muffler shops should have em....and it should be relatively cheap to get the pipes bent. i'd ask a few local muffler shops and see if they're willing to do it.

should be as loud as those boz bros pipes.....as they look like straight pipes with chrome tips on em.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:32 PM   #4
mammothmc

Feedback Rating: (0)

the shop I work at builds custom busa exhausts for around $300 in chrome or less in ceramic or powdercoat. If you don't figure anything out come check us out at the Cycle World show in a couple weeks.
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post
the shop I work at builds custom busa exhausts for around $300 in chrome or less in ceramic or powdercoat. If you don't figure anything out come check us out at the Cycle World show in a couple weeks.
perfect price; where are they located?

my concerns-

like to keep rear sets and have a high mount. I can relocate the license plate. Rained since I've had time to look at the system....
Old 10-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
most decent muffler shops should have em....and it should be relatively cheap to get the pipes bent. i'd ask a few local muffler shops and see if they're willing to do it.

should be as loud as those boz bros pipes.....as they look like straight pipes with chrome tips on em.
Ya, I've discovered it the packing that makes the biggest difference. Two weeks before the wreck this last friday I gutted the yoshis; they were straight through already but had a baffle tube through the center. Took out A LOT of insulation and left one wrap. Made a bid difference...

I just stumbled back on a busa site I whored up on before this one, someone was also looking into making a custom exhaust but those guys tend to be pretty picky about their rides... I just want it to work... Plan on painting it flat black so there's no bling factory, just subtle...
Old 10-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Found Ripley Muffler has a bender/exhaust and gonna go visit them at lunch tomorrow. Looks like if I do use them I'll have to lift the Busa for a high mount kit to work while retaining the factory rear sets. Maybe time to make some rear sets then...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Dude, just buy you a good used system that will actually make some power.... Watch the For Sale over at www.suzukihayabusa.org

There are good deals on pipes there all the time....The other day there was a used Brock-Hindle gen 3 pipe for sale for $550, it had the Ti oval can. Those pipes look really good, pretty quiet and make the most HP on busa period.

You can find used pipes for $375-400 all day long. If you are not worried about big hp gains, you can get Yosh duplex RS3 systems used for around $400, they look ok and sound good....gain about 5-6hp with them over stock.

The best bang for the buck pipe out there, especially if you are buying new, is a MUZZY stainless. It will gain you 7-9hp for about $550 new. Its within the top 4-5 pipes for power gain. The packing does burn out of them though at 10k miles and you will have to repack it. it is a pretty loud pipe to start with.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

I purchased a full Muzzy system, dual 2-1 collector, single exhaust for 362... Customization can wait for another day...
Old 10-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #10
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligonetx View Post
I purchased a full Muzzy system, dual 2-1 collector, single exhaust for 362... Customization can wait for another day...

"dual 2 to 1"?

Are you talking about the regular Muzzy stainless system thats 4-2-1? If so, good choice, enjoy the 8hp gain and good sound...... Thats a good price, $362, can you PM me where you got from for that price? I might buy a couple...

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement