MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #21
wlgorman
Senior Member
 
wlgorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Missouri City, TX/Angleton, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,025


Bike(s):
'06 CBR600RR









I talked to some people all I need is a 1099 from whoever I do work for. I wont need a license or whatever b/c im a draftsman doing CAD work for architects and engineers (THEY put the stamp on it). I have to pay taxes either quarterly, bi annually or annually. They say just put back 30% of income for taxes. I would be considered a contractor and wouldnt have to have a business license. Still working on getting more info. I'll need an atty to draft a business contract unless I can find a good one online to use.
__________________
'06 CBR600RR (Red)

defeat
wlgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting a business JoeRocket Off Topic 8 04-05-2014 04:34 PM
Very early stages of starting business for pc repair, curious about parts source etc. Grimace Off Topic 4 05-02-2013 08:15 AM
Need Autocad software... starting my own business JSki Off Topic 5 11-29-2008 11:50 AM
What are the Octane Requirements..... TxBritt08R1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 07-03-2007 08:13 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2007, 12:03 PM   #22
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?
 
RACER X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, Tx
Feedback Rating: (26)
Posts: 33,486

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold






so do you already have some CAD jobs lined up?

how long have you been CAD, we're hiring entry CAD's @ $21+
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2014 GROM
181cc's BABY!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #23
wlgorman
Senior Member
 
wlgorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Missouri City, TX/Angleton, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,025


Bike(s):
'06 CBR600RR









Im at Southern Union Energy full-time making a little more than that, Ive been doing CAD for about 4 years. Im trying to get the business going on the side, I have a website in development right now and I have an extra room in the house that im setting up for a workstation, complete with AutoCAD 2008, I just need civil 3D.

I have experience in surveying, process piping technology, pipeline design (and everything involved), surveying, mapping, residential, commercial, civil, solid modeling...pretty much everything...jk I know there is a whole world out there I havent messed with but you get the picture.

thats badass starting pay though...what exp. do you need (im sure its not ENTRY level)...I might have a friend or two to send your way
__________________
'06 CBR600RR (Red)

defeat
wlgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #24
Faylaricia
The Comtesse
 
Faylaricia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,965

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800









Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgorman View Post
I talked to some people all I need is a 1099 from whoever I do work for. I wont need a license or whatever b/c im a draftsman doing CAD work for architects and engineers (THEY put the stamp on it). I have to pay taxes either quarterly, bi annually or annually. They say just put back 30% of income for taxes. I would be considered a contractor
Sounds like you got the right info. Flips the contractor explaination I gave above.

For what I highlighted, you'll need to get a tax ID. They are easy to get online from the State of Texas and don't cost anything. From then on, they send you a paper stating you have a tax ID and send you the quarterly tax return papers which you can fill out or do online. I strongly recommend keeping track of your taxes as this makes it a heck of a lot easier filling it out (takes about 2 min for me to do my tax online).
__________________
Patricia
banner2 sm
Faylaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:59 PM   #25
Moody
Holy Smokes!
 
Moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 14,685


Bike(s):
281









You need to call a lawyer.
__________________

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #26
wlgorman
Senior Member
 
wlgorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Missouri City, TX/Angleton, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,025


Bike(s):
'06 CBR600RR









I thought your ss# was your tax ID? someone said that earlier...I def. plan on keeping track though. Moody what would I need to call a lawyer for other than the contract? My mom works for one in alvin so that should really be a prob.
__________________
'06 CBR600RR (Red)

defeat
wlgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #27
Faylaricia
The Comtesse
 
Faylaricia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,965

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800









Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgorman View Post
I thought your ss# was your tax ID? someone said that earlier...
For income taxes but not for sales taxes. You need to have a tax ID from the State of Texas and they send you quarterly papers that you need to fill out with how much sales tax you charged your clients. You have to pay that tax to the State then.

You can pay that tax online, fill out the paper or just have an accountant handle everything, if it is too much hassle and you have a lot of clients. I only pay a little, so it is no big deal for me to keep track of everything. My mom has a restaurant and pays a lot, so her accountant handles all her stuff.
__________________
Patricia
banner2 sm
Faylaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #28
wlgorman
Senior Member
 
wlgorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Missouri City, TX/Angleton, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,025


Bike(s):
'06 CBR600RR









hmm thanks alot for the info someone must have told me wrong...
__________________
'06 CBR600RR (Red)

defeat
wlgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #29
Moody
Holy Smokes!
 
Moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 14,685


Bike(s):
281









Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgorman View Post
I thought your ss# was your tax ID? someone said that earlier...I def. plan on keeping track though. Moody what would I need to call a lawyer for other than the contract? My mom works for one in alvin so that should really be a prob.
The questions you are asking indicate your need for contacting a lawyer. The lawyer can help you determine the type of business you should establish. It is very likely he will recommend an LLC. This will help protect your personal assets and limit your liabilities. Doing everything under your social security number is a recipe for disaster. Good Luck!
__________________

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #30
Faylaricia
The Comtesse
 
Faylaricia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,965

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800









It is called Sales Tax permit. Without this, you are not allowed to conduct business in Texas (as you wouldn't be paying taxes without this permit).

Look here:

You can skip step 2 if you like, unless you are planning on having employees. Step 1 and 3 are the most important:

http://www.business.texasonline.com/guide/index.jsp
__________________
Patricia
banner2 sm
Faylaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #31
Faylaricia
The Comtesse
 
Faylaricia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,965

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800









Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
Doing everything under your social security number is a recipe for disaster. Good Luck!

That is a sole proprietarship where you are not protected at all. If you mess up a drawing and someone dies because a pipeline exploding due to your drawing, you are history. They can take all personal assets.

LLC - Limited Liability Company
__________________
Patricia
banner2 sm
Faylaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:35 PM   #32
wlgorman
Senior Member
 
wlgorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Missouri City, TX/Angleton, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,025


Bike(s):
'06 CBR600RR









I wont be personally liable for my drawing b/c I didnt design it. I understand the diff. types of business and the ups and downs of each. But I cant be personally liable for something if i'm taking someone else's design and using CAD to detail it per their specs.
__________________
'06 CBR600RR (Red)

defeat
wlgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #33
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?
 
RACER X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, Tx
Feedback Rating: (26)
Posts: 33,486

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold






youcan be caught up in the litigation. and that cost $
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2014 GROM
181cc's BABY!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #34
Moody
Holy Smokes!
 
Moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 14,685


Bike(s):
281









Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgorman View Post
I wont be personally liable for my drawing b/c I didnt design it. I understand the diff. types of business and the ups and downs of each. But I cant be personally liable for something if i'm taking someone else's design and using CAD to detail it per their specs.
Did you want advice or were you going to tell us how our advice is wrong?

Take it from someone who has been down the road a few times... You want to properly establish your business or your business will be trying to protect your personal business.
__________________

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #35
Moody
Holy Smokes!
 
Moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 14,685


Bike(s):
281









Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgorman View Post
Im at Southern Union Energy full-time making a little more than that, Ive been doing CAD for about 4 years. Im trying to get the business going on the side, I have a website in development right now and I have an extra room in the house that im setting up for a workstation, complete with AutoCAD 2008, I just need civil 3D.

I have experience in surveying, process piping technology, pipeline design (and everything involved), surveying, mapping, residential, commercial, civil, solid modeling...pretty much everything...jk I know there is a whole world out there I havent messed with but you get the picture.

thats badass starting pay though...what exp. do you need (im sure its not ENTRY level)...I might have a friend or two to send your way
Are you familiar with the term Conflict of Interest?
__________________

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #36
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!
 
Greenway Smokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,382


Bike(s):
'04 1200XL









Send a message via AIM to Greenway Smokey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy018 View Post
BWAAAA HA HA HA HA!!!!^^^

Seriously though, If your business takes off and you need some help, let me know. I'm an expert in CAD and 3D CAD.
x2
__________________
If dwells inside us, like some people say, I sure hope he likes enchiladas, because that's what he's getting!
www.eat4sport.com
Greenway Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #37
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville
 
cogs69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Way out there...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,125

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser









Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
For income taxes but not for sales taxes. You need to have a tax ID from the State of Texas and they send you quarterly papers that you need to fill out with how much sales tax you charged your clients. You have to pay that tax to the State then.

You can pay that tax online, fill out the paper or just have an accountant handle everything, if it is too much hassle and you have a lot of clients. I only pay a little, so it is no big deal for me to keep track of everything. My mom has a restaurant and pays a lot, so her accountant handles all her stuff.
Like I said before, this is not true. You don't have to charge sales tax and you do not have to go through all this tax id stuff. I did contract drafting for 3 years, for a group that has been established for over 15 years, and can name you off over 30 contract draftsmen by name that none of them have ever had to get a tax ID. Also, they don't have to charge sales tax. It is contract LABOR which is different than providing goods. I have never had a problem with taxes, IRS, and even the people that prepare my documents for me all say this is true. In fact, the group I worked for is a contract group that hires out to 10 different contract draftsman, even he doesn't have to have a tax ID. Again it is all contract labor which has different laws. You are liable for your SS tax, Med. Tax, and Fed. Tax completely. That is the only downfall. If you are employed, your employer shares some of that burden but in contract you pay all your own.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:25 PM   #38
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville
 
cogs69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Way out there...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,125

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser









Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
Are you familiar with the term Conflict of Interest?
Moody is completely right on the conflict of interest. While I agree with you that doing drafting drawings on the side, you are right, you are not liable for your drawings because they will be sealed and engineered by the company hiring you (in which they take full responsibility) all you are responsible for is the accuracy and timely manner you do it so they keep giving you work. But careful about getting caught moonlighting (side work for competitors) most companies have a serious problem with that.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #39
Faylaricia
The Comtesse
 
Faylaricia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,965

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800









Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
Like I said before, this is not true. You don't have to charge sales tax and you do not have to go through all this tax id stuff. I did contract drafting for 3 years, for a group that has been established for over 15 years, and can name you off over 30 contract draftsmen by name that none of them have ever had to get a tax ID. Also, they don't have to charge sales tax. It is contract LABOR which is different than providing goods. I have never had a problem with taxes, IRS, and even the people that prepare my documents for me all say this is true. In fact, the group I worked for is a contract group that hires out to 10 different contract draftsman, even he doesn't have to have a tax ID. Again it is all contract labor which has different laws. You are liable for your SS tax, Med. Tax, and Fed. Tax completely. That is the only downfall. If you are employed, your employer shares some of that burden but in contract you pay all your own.
I don't know much about being an contractee but if I hire someone under a contract, I would have to give him/her a 1099 so they can report their income. I also have to ask for their tax ID. My accountant told me, if I don't, one day they can turn around and claim I was their employer to collect unemployment and the IRS can ask me how come I never paid ssn taxes, etc. as an employer should.

Some professions (like consulting) don't have to charge tax, correct. It depends. I would think that CAD work is considered data entry (webdesign is) and that is taxable.

To be sure, wlgorman, get a consultation with an accountant. Better safe than sorry.
__________________
Patricia
banner2 sm
Faylaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #40
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville
 
cogs69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Way out there...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,125

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser









Can't disagree with your last statement. When all else fails, a pro is the way to go.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy