MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #21
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

...the sucked off thing.

the driver accelerated and I thnk wheelied, the passenger slid back a bit...creating a space between her and the driver... angles/speed etc are going to be factors, but that 'gap' could create a good pocket, exterting a huge amount of drag on the passenger... effectively 'blowing' them off the back of the bike....

want a clearer picture, go find the aerodynmic design shots of the 08 hayabusa... then image a 2nd body behind that...with a gap. The passenger would operate as a huge 'air brake'... and a 100+mph wind is not something you giggle at.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mythbusters.... cedestech Off Topic 12 12-07-2011 06:32 PM
mythbusters- fun with gas chum600 Off Topic 1 10-27-2009 03:25 PM
Those crazy Mythbusters....... Solracer Off Topic 9 08-30-2008 12:45 PM
Mythbusters Lost Episode? ArturoC Off Topic 2 12-05-2006 03:01 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #22
TWISTED METAL
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR 1000 AND GSXR 750 TRACK BIKE

User is banned

TWISTED METAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:14 PM   #23
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
co2 cartiage to pop the shoot open, go about 100 and pull the cord, they will get RIPPED off that backseat lol
Old 10-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #24
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

ran outta edit time

http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content...rashqueen.html

"my cowboy hat for an oversized helmet"
" Approaching mile marker seven on highway 550, I noticed that I had to start fighting the wind to stay behind Shaun without pulling on him too much.
As we came around to the right and went down the hill, we kept accelerating. I was scared, but thought I could handle the force of the wind as it suddenly picked up much more than in the moments before. I started to slide back on the seat and felt the cool air fill the small space between my chest and Shaun’s back.
I felt a rush of wind hit my face like a brick and our bodies separated in an instant; my visor had come completely open. The force pulled on my face and helmet so hard that it sent my head up and backwards, ripping my entire body off the back seat with it."

...now in regards to deploying a 'chute like that... well odds are yea it's gonna rip you off the bike... how much will you slide/tumble etc who knows. I doubt flight time would be much if any, you'd be too close to the ground and the direction of movement is wrong. (ignoring chute contact with ground etc).

Deployed more like a parasail would be a different matter... but I don't see deployment at speed working like a parsail launch
Old 10-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #25
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 PM   #26
Fuzzy018

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2009 HD Dyna - Super Glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
ran outta edit time

" Approaching mile marker seven on highway 550, I noticed that I had to start fighting the wind to stay behind Shaun without pulling on him too much.
As we came around to the right and went down the hill, we kept accelerating. I was scared, but thought I could handle the force of the wind as it suddenly picked up much more than in the moments before. I started to slide back on the seat and felt the cool air fill the small space between my chest and Shaun’s back.
I felt a rush of wind hit my face like a brick and our bodies separated in an instant; my visor had come completely open. The force pulled on my face and helmet so hard that it sent my head up and backwards, ripping my entire body off the back seat with it."

...now in regards to deploying a 'chute like that... well odds are yea it's gonna rip you off the bike... how much will you slide/tumble etc who knows. I doubt flight time would be much if any, you'd be too close to the ground and the direction of movement is wrong. (ignoring chute contact with ground etc).

Deployed more like a parasail would be a different matter... but I don't see deployment at speed working like a parsail launch
That must've SUUUUUUUUUCKEEEED!!!!!!
Fuzzy018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 PM   #27
Vandals
Scooter

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

make an ejection seat out of the passenger seat.. then pull the shoot
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #28
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

I assume the paraglider will be assembled and it is just a matter of enough speed to produce the lift needed for flight. That, in turn could allow for a certain amount of air time (flight) until the gravity takes over. this reminds me of the old Wright brothers winged "bicycle) from the 1900's. This would just be a mondern day version of that.
All we need is a bike, driver, rider, glider, and all safety gear.
I think this could happen....
Unless somebody wants to volunteer to be the test subject for the parachute test!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #29
Fuzzy018

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2009 HD Dyna - Super Glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLETUS View Post
I assume the paraglider will be assembled and it is just a matter of enough speed to produce the lift needed for flight. That, in turn could allow for a certain amount of air time (flight) until the gravity takes over. this reminds me of the old Wright brothers winged "bicycle) from the 1900's. This would just be a mondern day version of that.
All we need is a bike, driver, rider, glider, and all safety gear.
I think this could happen....
Unless somebody wants to volunteer to be the test subject for the parachute test!!!
ALL WE NEED IS A BUSTER!!!
Fuzzy018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #30
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

I have a parasail, for boating will take U about 300 feet, 3-4 times higher than the trees, could do it with a jeep, if U had a huge field or desert area, but the landing would be a little tricky, could be done but a little dangerous
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #31
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

I'm not buying that a girl got sucked off the back of the bike, I can see other factors at work. A real test would be with the bike locked into place with a wind tunnel focusing wind pressure on the rider and passenger. Then if the passenger tried several different methods of holding on, helmet up/down, ect. Much safer test.
That still wouldn't account for torque. The question is, was the bike in a throttle position/gear/rpm that assisted the launch? I've had an Arai that popped open at high speeds (over 130) and although it pulled my head, I never felt like I was actually coming off.
Mythbusters would be great. I'm also a big fan of Penn and Teller, another group that is great for proving that many things people believe are BS, like near death experiences, recycling, and PETA. I found myself rethinking ideas I had held, as I love to be proven wrong with the truth. Most people would rather believe BS than work to change comfortable lies they hold as right.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
SBN. We're coming for your wife and daughters.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #32
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
ran outta edit time

When I first got onto the forums, her story was everywhere and in some forum, forgot where, she posted and tried to discredit any weird rumors. There she posted that her friend kept going faster and faster and then the visor story. When people asked how fast she was going, she stated 130mph. Maybe it was made up but it seems there are a few different versions floating around anyways.

I would just like to see on mythbusters if it really could've happened with a visor coming open and jerking the head around and ripping someone off a bike.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #33
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tz420 View Post
I'm not buying that a girl got sucked off the back of the bike, I can see other factors at work. A real test would be with the bike locked into place with a wind tunnel focusing wind pressure on the rider and passenger. Then if the passenger tried several different methods of holding on, helmet up/down, ect. Much safer test.
That still wouldn't account for torque. The question is, was the bike in a throttle position/gear/rpm that assisted the launch? I've had an Arai that popped open at high speeds (over 130) and although it pulled my head, I never felt like I was actually coming off.
Mythbusters would be great. I'm also a big fan of Penn and Teller, another group that is great for proving that many things people believe are BS, like near death experiences, recycling, and PETA. I found myself rethinking ideas I had held, as I love to be proven wrong with the truth. Most people would rather believe BS than work to change comfortable lies they hold as right.
Don't see why not? 100 mph+... we're talking hurricane level winds...
RRQ also states she had on an overly large helmet... I've had 3/4 that fit snug and just approaching hwy speeds the helmet 'float'... add our girl, with a helmet that's too big... helmet hits the right angle (or visor) and it becomes an air-scoop...she caught by suprise and there's more space betwee her and the driver... the 'wind' fills this gap and instead of going over/around she's taking it full in the chest...(along with our helmet-air scoop)
Reading her assessment, personal experience...fairly probable in the sequence of events.
Consider the...impact a good 30-40mph breeze does to one of our bikes coming on at an angle or broadside when your just goin down the road... now multiply that 3 or 4 to an object weighing 100-150lbs.

Last edited by Ulric; 10-15-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #34
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tz420 View Post
I'm not buying that a girl got sucked off the back of the bike, I can see other factors at work.

The case I was talking about was already posted before I got here. I check the link and it is the same girl.

I don't know if it is true or not but she was messed up pretty badly if it was...
Old 10-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #35
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
a good gust, with a jumpy road.... possible.... strong winds at those speeds.

as for the parachute thing, tie their shoe laces to the pegs, will give them enough time to fill the parasale or parachute and they may/should break before the rear of the bike comes up, if not then it's the driver's ride too.
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 PM   #36
flypunk
it doesn't matter

Trackdays: 3

It all depends on what the definition of launching is.

Yes a parachute can rip you (launch you) of the back of a bike, rumor has it there are people who have died when the parachute that they were transporting deployed inadvertently. I will gladly sell you equipment and film you from a different bike than the one you are on if you wish to try it out.

If you want to elevate someone attached with a rope to a bike - Parasailing , yes It can be done. There are several ways though, it can be with a round canopy, which will make it easier and controllable, it can be with a parasailing canopy which is still controllable but it starts getting tricky, and it can be with a regular parachute which you float for a while no problem.

It does take a great amount of skill and boredom involved, yet if you show up to a dropzone on a windy day somebody will take you up on it, usually it will be the bored staff. I have video of said activity launched from the ground pulled by a truck.

Now if you want to do the above but with a person attached to bike being launched by sitting on the bike, good luck finding someone to try that. If one of you wants to try I will gladly sell you some gear, and film it.

Ground launching someone of a truck is still possible, you can do it running on the right hill, and yes you can probably do it of the back of the bike. The person is not attached to be vehicle in any way or form. If you are not attached to the bike, its easier but it will require the right amount of winds and a slope matching or greater than the rate of decent or your parachute, otherwise you'll be airborne for about 1 or 2 seconds.

In all cases having the right amount of wind will make it so much easier.
flypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #37
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLETUS View Post
I saw a post on here (I think) sometime back with a link to a web site by a girl that was riding on the back of her old mans gixxer 750. He was going downhill and the speed was enough to lift her off the back. The reason it stands out in my mind was the amount of damager she sustained due to a lack a of gear. It might have been a Racer X post.

Anyway, with the rate of accellerations and the torque curve of the engine...
I am going to have to say yes. If it can suck a person off the back, luanching a parachute shouldn't be a problem.

MSF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #38
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
I'd rather like to see if that roadrash queen's claim is true. If your helmet opens at 130mph, can you be yanked off the back seat of a sportbike?
I can tell you if you open your visor at 130 or more at TWS (Texas World Speedway) because you can't see in a race your head will be yanked back and if you are not ready you will likely come off.

year I did that was 2001 first race at TWS (Texas World Speedway) that year cold and rainy got up to 47 as a high. My visor fogged I couldn't see anything so I opened it and still couldn't.

edit good times racing

Last edited by ysr612; 10-15-2007 at 06:59 PM. Reason: for fun
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #39
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Why, did they teach this at your MSF class?

Seriously, I am looking at the physics of this.
I don't think the shoe strings sound like a good idea.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #40
zampano

Send a message via AIM to zampano
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskale View Post
if she was holding on the rider should have went with her, or the bike done a wheelie, thats just me, I would have been holding on for life.

You don't need myth busters, just go out and try it. don't you need hight to do that though.
LOL yeah brilliant, let me just go randomly try it out first rather than seeing if I can get a TV show to do it for me....

I can see it now!!

Me- "D, how fast do you think we need to go to make this work....?!"
D- "Idunno, let just start at 150 to be sure"

nah, I actaully thought it would be kinda cool to submit to mythbusters (who dont really just do myths)
zampano is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement