Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #21
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
did a wheelie in front of a state trooper... he gave me a ticket for reckless driving. class c though everyoen swears it's a class b. atleast that's what it said on the ticket and what the court agreed. I guess it's up to the officer what he wants to put. anyways. I spoke to the DA and requested to take defensive driving =) it was easy as . if you got arrested I don't know what to tell you. if not just go talk to the da
I got class B. I never knew that you could get a class C WD, but that's my new goal.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Defensive Driving Bevo Off Topic 7 02-27-2012 05:34 AM
Driving - Right or Privilege ? Solracer Off Topic 40 04-18-2011 07:52 PM
Who needs to take Defensive Driving?? spyderryder Off Topic 41 09-04-2009 01:05 PM
driving skills chasee69 General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 11-15-2008 01:35 AM
thats driving! RACER X Off Topic 6 02-22-2008 12:25 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2007, 02:11 PM   #22
Master_Of_Pain
Powa Ranga Action Figure

There would be some interesting cross examination for the officer in my mind. For one, he charged you with wreckless driving, and if the officer makes the determination that you are a danger to other drivers (Which is what the charge implies) then he is obligated to immediately contain the situation, make his presence known, get your attention, pull you over, not follow you for 20 miles. If he can't catch you, then he should have called for assistance, and you would have known about it long before 20 miles of driving, especially with an alleged speed of high 90's.

Like you all have guessed, the charges are somewhat tuned up to be bargained down to ensure revenue is collected.

Last edited by Master_Of_Pain; 10-15-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Master_Of_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:15 PM   #23
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Pain View Post
There would be some interesting cross examination for the officer in my mind. For one, he charged you with wreckless driving, and if the officer makes the determination that you are a danger to other drivers (Which is what the charge implies) then he is obligated to immediately contain the situation, make his presence known, get your attention, pull you over, not follow you for 20 miles. If he can't catch you, then he should have called for assistance, and you would have known about it long before 20 miles of driving, especially with an alleged speed of high 90's.

Like you all have guessed, the charges are somewhat tuned up to be bargained down to ensure revenue is collected.
deputy said that he clocked me while he was going the opposite direction, then turned around and it took him 20 miles to catch up to me. Apparently he put out on the radio that he was "chasing" me this whole time. I doubt that it took him more than a mile or two to catch up to me.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 PM   #24
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
deputy said that he clocked me while he was going the opposite direction, then turned around and it took him 20 miles to catch up to me. Apparently he put out on the radio that he was "chasing" me this whole time. I doubt that it took him more than a mile or two to catch up to me.
well if you do the math, it could be possible.

for instance, if it took him a minute to turn around and get up to the speed of about 105 mph, it would have taken him about 20 miles to catch you going 96 mph. plus his "20 miles" might have been 18 or so.

regardless, he got you. i just hope you can get it reduced as much as possible, even though it's really not that big of a crime. just sucks about the CHL and confiscated weapon.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #25
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

60mph, 20 miles = 20 minutes...
120 mph, 20 miles = 10 minutes...

someone want to do the math? 96 mph, 20 miles...time elapsed?
figure if the cop tagged ya going the other direction..slow/turn/accelerate...
the time/distance isn't all that unreasonable.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #26
Reidlos
"Share The TraCk Ya'LL"

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Crashed-GSX-R 750, Only CARS for Now

Send a message via AIM to Reidlos Send a message via MSN to Reidlos Send a message via Yahoo to Reidlos Send a message via Skype™ to Reidlos
how to calculate time elapsed?...simple...

Use this formula:

Velocity (m/s) = Distance Covered (m) / Time taken (s)

or v = w + at (obvious not this one)

The sucky thing is you'll have to convert all your values to meters and seconds....for accuracy in V(m/s) units

but in your case lets see if it will make sense....

therefore 96mph for 20miles:
mhhh!!..."scratch my head"

**Logic (remember XXmph can be written as XXmiles/hr)**

Therefore

96mph/20miles= 1/(4.8) = 0.2083333333....hrs

or 0.2083333333 x 60m = 12.5minutes

or 12.5minutes x 60s = 750seconds

I might be wrong, but hope i have helped....
R.

....If You Cant Fight Em Join Em, If You Can Convince Em Confuse Em....
a .Net Enthusiast
Reidlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #27
thatboygeorge
powpows ftw

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
05 r6

Send a message via AIM to thatboygeorge
i got lucky ive been pulled over 4 times for wheelies 2 of em got let go and one they gave me imprudent speed that was only a 100 bucks and the other time the cop gave me exhibition of accelleration dont remember how much that ticket was... never went to jail... but i finaly got busted on a fiddy in corpus
thatboygeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:02 AM   #28
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

"My lawyer is a really good friend of the family. He usually does criminal defense for big felony drug cases in South Texas, so this is his backyard "

So, how are big felony drug cases like a wreckless driving charge?
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:01 AM   #29
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
"My lawyer is a really good friend of the family. He usually does criminal defense for big felony drug cases in South Texas, so this is his backyard "

So, how are big felony drug cases like a wreckless driving charge?
I would imagine that they're quite a bit more involved, complex, time consuming and require a bit more experience. The oucome is probably also somewhat more important to the accused.

I said backyard, not background. Backyard as in he usually tries cases in South Texas. If I'd said background or specialty then maybe I could see how you could construe that as intending to mean that my wreckless driving case was something with which he'd be familiar.

I mentioned that he typically worked in South Texas because someone had stated that I might have trouble getting him to leave Houston to defend me in a courtroom 100 miles away.

Good?

Old 10-16-2007, 10:06 AM   #30
gixxerbill

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Man, cashtown that sux bor. Sheesh I thought you couldn't go to jail just for speeding. What a bunch of . So were you heading to padre when you got popped? Should have trailored dude. From Houston to Corpus is a PIG FEST of the highest degree. I need to get a donuts on wheels delivery service and go up and down 59 and I will be a Gixxerbillgates in no time.

They were bad(popo) on the way to padre but nothing like from Houston to CC. On the way back I was following that crossfire with radar detectors and had a hd fatboy behind me that couldn't quite keep up that was blocking my rear.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #31
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

if he couldnt catch you for 20 miles going 96 you should have just gave it more throttle and been gone

jk. it sucks that cops have a habit of turning these cases into situations to make it sound like you were running. good luck with this one

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #32
level5
moving chicane

Look on the bright side, at least you weren't charged with evading arrest like I got.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #33
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Man, cashtown that sux bor. Sheesh I thought you couldn't go to jail just for speeding. What a bunch of . So were you heading to padre when you got popped? Should have trailored dude. From Houston to Corpus is a PIG FEST of the highest degree. I need to get a donuts on wheels delivery service and go up and down 59 and I will be a Gixxerbillgates in no time.
They were bad(popo) on the way to padre but nothing like from Houston to CC. On the way back I was following that crossfire with radar detectors and had a hd fatboy behind me that couldn't quite keep up that was blocking my rear.
that's classic

I was actually on my way to Corpus. Almost made it. I was maintaining a constant speed and had passed 3 DPS on the opposite shoulder. They didn't come after me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasee69
if he couldnt catch you for 20 miles going 96 you should have just gave it more throttle and been gone

jk. it sucks that cops have a habit of turning these cases into situations to make it sound like you were running. good luck with this one
I wouldn't ever run from the police, never have. The most I've done is pass a cop going the other way, see him start to flip around, and then nail it for a couple of miles. Technically he's not pursuing you at that point. Make him work for it! (I think they like that anyway.)

In this case, I never knew he was behind me til the lights came on.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #34
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

HST FTW!!