Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #101
HellFroze
WhoCalledThisMeeting?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
SOLD --> '02 R6

Well, I have +1 on a lot of these posts... mostly about the fact that I don't think Matt would want anyone to quit riding because of him...

You know yourself better than anyone else... you are going to do what you feel is best no matter what anyone puts down in this thread...

You should live your life for yourself and your family... that is all you can do.

But, one thing I do know is.... you can't make your family happy if you aren't making yourself happy first.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Houston accidents spike in summer? lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 08-11-2011 02:57 PM
Accidents and time of day question... houtex General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 03-02-2009 10:02 AM
3 Moto-accidents BYRDMAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 07-03-2008 02:08 AM
Accidents!!!!!!!! m@rlen84 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 07-28-2007 02:23 PM
Get ready for the accidents bdmpastx General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-19-2006 02:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 PM   #102
PSYCHO1000
" 2 THE WALLS

Bike(s):
2005 GSXR PSYCHO1000, 2005 Kawi 636 Racebike

I am very sorry to hear about Matt and this couldn't have happened to a nicer person, but with all this talking about people selling their bike or not riding for a while etc i feel that this needs to be said. This is just my opinion so i hope no one takes this the wrong way. Everyone that has bought a bike or is thinking about buying a bike(especially a Supersport) should pretty much assume that before they buy this bike and ride this bike on the street or the track they are going to make friends, and there are going to be times when there are going to be these friends/people that they know who have unfortunate accidents such as this. It's just the "nature of the sport". And also they should accept the fact that this could as easily happen to them, and are they willing to take that risk. I personally have stopped riding on the street because i know that with the way i like to ride, along with all the other cars/obstacles out on the road, that it was just a matter of time before something like this happened to me. I know that anything could happen at anytime like "falling down a flight of stairs", but reality is that when you are on a bike that is as powerful and fast as these bikes today and all the other obstacles out there on the roads your chances are greatly increased. Do you want to take this risk or take it to the track where you can be in a "controlled environment" and ride that bike like it was designed to be ridden? Again, this is just my opinion and this has helped me get through some hard times like this. It doesn't make it easier when losing a friend/loved one but it keeps me from saying/thinking about not riding or getting rid of my bike. It's like joing the military-before you sign remember that there is a pretty good chance that you will have to go to war or some type of deadly combat, and you or someone you know will likely be injured or killed. Don't sign if you are not ready to accept that. If your not ready to accept it Don't get on a bike! Again, i hope i didn't offend anyone but like i said having this "attitude" has gotten me through some pretty tough stuff and maybe it will work for you!
PSYCHO1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #103
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #104
carlos flores
WE DONT DIE...WE MULTIPLY

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 gixxer sixxer

i was thinkin of sellin mine...cause i was scared what RACER X put them pictures of them guys crashed.....i was thinkin and i crashed ...but i love ridin bikes dude!
carlos flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #105
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:14 PM   #106
Spanish Fly
Take me drunk, I'm home!!

Bike(s):
2003 SV650s (sold)

i guess i may wait a few more weeks and see how i feel then. most likely i will still get rid of it though
Spanish Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:35 AM   #107
clint08911

Kind of going through the same thing spanish fly. The fatalties seem to get worse and worse, and it seems like a good number of them are from responsible riders. Think I will do the same, and hold it for a while and see how I feel. later.

Clint
clint08911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #108
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

I knew a guy who sold his bike after Roger's accident as they used to ride together a lot. He said he needed to take a break and may think about it again in a few months. It is completely understandable. Others continued riding.

I have my moments but this is not the only sport I am involved in where there are a lot of bad accidents and I wouldn't think once about giving it up horses. I always said that I'd rather die doing what I love doing with a smile on my face than some other miserable way.

I guess it just depends on how much you love it and everyone copes with bad news different. I think it depends on how involved and comitted you are and in the end, it really depends on how YOU feel.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 PM   #109
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

If you're second guessing your commitment to riding then it's time to get rid of it. You can't safely ride a motorcycle without full commitment to that bike, the development of your skills and the potential outcomes of each ride.

On a side note, I've taken alot of flack from members here because I try to always preach riding safely and knowing your limits. There are so many things I want to say here but won't out of respect to the thread and the topic at hand... but everyone here needs to look at what they are saying and TRULY evalute how they ride and who they ride with. It just bothers me so much to see people make threads like this and then a week later write in another thread about doing 100mph on 149 or doing a standup down 45.

I'm not pointing out any one individual in particular, but MotoHouston as a whole. We are responsible for our actions and the outcomes of those actions. Be sure you're making responsible decisions and your chance of survival goes up tremendously.

The goal of riding on the track is go faster each lap... the goal of riding on the street is to come home safely each time.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:22 PM   #110
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badzx14r View Post
i been riding a longgggggggggggggg time .. i've seen alot and know alot and will keep my comment to myself cuz it will only start a flaming thread ...
I will bet you and I are on the same wavelength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap View Post
If you're second guessing your commitment to riding then it's time to get rid of it. You can't safely ride a motorcycle without full commitment to that bike, the development of your skills and the potential outcomes of each ride.

On a side note, I've taken alot of flack from members here because I try to always preach riding safely and knowing your limits. There are so many things I want to say here but won't out of respect to the thread and the topic at hand... but everyone here needs to look at what they are saying and TRULY evalute how they ride and who they ride with. It just bothers me so much to see people make threads like this and then a week later write in another thread about doing 100mph on 149 or doing a standup down 45.

I'm not pointing out any one individual in particular, but MotoHouston as a whole. We are responsible for our actions and the outcomes of those actions. Be sure you're making responsible decisions and your chance of survival goes up tremendously.

The goal of riding on the track is go faster each lap... the goal of riding on the street is to come home safely each time.
+1 Experience, Common Sense, and the Discipline to act by it.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #111
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

if a person rides either scared or angry then their body is stiff and their mind is not focused on controlling the machine which can cause abrupt and sudden actions/reactions occur.

Riding a motorcycle requires total control at all times.

Over my riding years I have known or heard of way to many people getting killed while operating a motorcycle.

It has caused me to pause and review my riding but fortunately never caused me to consider quitting riding my own motorcycle.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement