MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #61
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100f View Post
This REALLY is a tough call for me. I've always wanted a bike..now that I have one...I just don't know if it's worth the risk. I enjoy my biike..but i enjoy seeing my family more. My wife doesn't work so if something happens to me...what happens to them?
Same here...!!! but no other Family here in Houston, is just me and her. I really love riding and I consider it a "life style". I have been trying to put together a sealed envelope for "in case of the worst" with all the insurance and instructions about what to do with all the paperwork. What really bothers me is all the grief that will bring to my parents, they are too old but my wife has instructions about what to tell them.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Houston accidents spike in summer? lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 08-11-2011 02:57 PM
Accidents and time of day question... houtex General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 03-02-2009 10:02 AM
3 Moto-accidents BYRDMAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 07-03-2008 02:08 AM
Accidents!!!!!!!! m@rlen84 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 07-28-2007 02:23 PM
Get ready for the accidents bdmpastx General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-19-2006 02:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #62
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
stop being a and ride. barring you physicaly not being able to ride then you never were REALLY rider if something outside of your control stops you from riding.
i think you are out of line

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i think mckee is psychoninja's , ask psychoninja if mckee can take it
Psych0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #63
Squeaky

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych0ninja View Post
i think you are out of line
Just because we don't agree doesn't make his opinion invalid. It is his to express. (although I agree it could have been worded better to convey the message without insulting others)

We all feel differently when things happen. Sharing our views on here, even unpopular opinions, is a way of working through the grief.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #64
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37713

I am surprised that y'all so biased against what Racerx's post. Watch this video and ask yourself is it worth it? It's really an eye opener for me.
RACER X's message is usually a good one. I'm sure he knows better than a lot of us the dangers that lurk for motorcyclists and the tragedies that can befall them if they're unprepared or unbelieving

It's just the way that he goes about trying to deliver those messages that irk people. Tact goes a long way.

I spent Friday night in jail on a wreckless driving charge (96 mph in a 65 on the interstate in the middle of nowhere -- on two wheels) and even before reading the news today had considered turning the Busa into a drag bike and buying something else that was road course specific.

I try not to ride stupid, but I do ride fast and I know that one day it will catch up with me. The idea of track only is appealing, but I just don't know how I'd deal with not riding on the street anymore.

Maybe the answer is to track-only for awhile and get the "adrenaline-desire" out of the way so that I can safely go back to street riding after awhile.

I'm not at all afraid of dying, but feel that that would be unfair to the people around me.

I can't give up motorcycling, but I will have to find a way to temper action with wisdom.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #65
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

I didnt say he couldnt express his opinion but i just think it is out of line to call someone a and say they never were a rider just because they may want to sell there bike it was just my 2 cents

Quote:
i think mckee is psychoninja's , ask psychoninja if mckee can take it
Psych0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #66
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100f View Post
This REALLY is a tough call for me. I've always wanted a bike..now that I have one...I just don't know if it's worth the risk. I enjoy my biike..but i enjoy seeing my family more. My wife doesn't work so if something happens to me...what happens to them?
Doesn't look that tough from what I am reading.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #67
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
I didnt say he couldnt express his opinion but i just think it is out of line to call someone a and say they never were a rider just because they may want to sell there bike it was just my 2 cents
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #68
Brandon

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 R6
2007 R6 (sold)
1983 XR-250R (sold)

Rene,
Thank you for making this thread. After hearing about the latest accidents, I too questioned my having a bike. I am married with 2 kids, my wife does not work. I thought that these past few accidents and people talking about motorcycle accidents in public right in front of me were signs from above. It got to the point where I had decided to get rid of the bike.

The next day I woke up went out and stood next to the bike. I starred long and hard at the bike and came to realize that I simply couldn't do it! Riding is a hobby for me more than anything. I began to remember what was taught in MSF. If you can remove one risk from the chain you can prevent an accident. (something to that affect). Go back and read your MSF handbook or get one from someone else. Read it every few months just to refresh your memory.

After reading some posts some of you have made here I am in much higher spirits than I have been in the last few days. Thank you everyone for contributing to this thread.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #69
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:

Old 10-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #70
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

many many of these accidents are avoidable. you have to start riding and thinking w/ the big head vs the little head.

stupid/bad decision making is the cause of most of these wrecks.

and Brandon has a point an accident is a series of events that leads to an accident, change 1 decision and the outcome will be diff.

you can ride the streets and be safe, most of it is in your head and the decisions you make.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #71
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
many many of these accidents are avoidable. you have to start riding and thinking w/ the big head vs the little head.

and Brandon has a point an accident is a series of events that leads to an accident, change 1 decision and the outcome will be diff.

you can ride the streets and be safe, most of it is in your head and the decisions you make.
well put.... that is what i tell my gf. it's how you ride that REALLY contributes to the risk involved... less speed = less chance of a severe accident. more common sense and using the "what if" question while riding = less chance of a severe accident. i just tell her what i feel, that i'm not riding anywhere close to my limits on the street, and i am very cautious and ask myself "what if" while cars are around.
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #72
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

Exactly. Not knowing the exact circumstances of this last wreck I will leave that one alone, but ALL the recent wrecks/deaths have been due to either wrong place, wrong time or riding way over the conditions/traffic. By wrong place/time, I mean like riding around the streets of Houston after midnight with all the drunks....

I have seen a couple deaths on bikes and many accidents, as well as had my share of get-offs. EVERY ONE was preventable, without exception.

I find myself slowing down from what I thought was acceptable in the past, but am a long way off from selling the bike. You have to find your personal limits and pace and inner spot of comfort, or you don't belong on the bike.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #73
isoplus
should be working

Bike(s):
Honda Shadow VT750C2, Hyosung GV650

This thread is giving me much to think about...

I just know riding helps me to cope with everyday stress. Before riding, I just drank alot. My wife is actually happy that I started riding again
I guess I just gotta keep respecting my bike and be responsible whenever possible.
And, I'll keep at my riding buddies about MSF whether they like it or not. I don't wanna see any of them go down, nor do I want to go down with them.
isoplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #74
yblegal

Bike(s):
06 GSX-R1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
FWIW, the track is not always safer.

Granted it's a more controlled environment, but because you're typically pushing the edge of the envelope, you're more likely to find it.

That being said, you could just as easily pass in a car accident or falling down a flight of stairs.
Wear you gear, ride smart and you'll be o.k.
+1
yblegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #75
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:

Very well stated and from an MSF Instructor.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #76
rideForrestride

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
well put.... that is what i tell my gf. it's how you ride that REALLY contributes to the risk involved... less speed = less chance of a severe accident. more common sense and using the "what if" question while riding = less chance of a severe accident. i just tell her what i feel, that i'm not riding anywhere close to my limits on the street, and i am very cautious and ask myself "what if" while cars are around.
+1...How you ride can definitely decrease or increase your chances of being involved in a wreck. However, we all know that sometimes it doesn't matter; other people sometimes make mistakes that effect others no matter what.
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #77
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideForrestride View Post
+1...How you ride can definitely decrease or increase your chances of being involved in a wreck. However, we all know that sometimes it doesn't matter; other people sometimes make mistakes that effect others no matter what.
IMO, those are very few and far between. most things you have to anticipate and think for those people and keep yourself safe.

thats why i'm a big advocate of no ipods, no riding when in a bad mood. you have to be on the ball. and always looking and being aware. wearing earplugs helps you concentrate on riding.

other things. the group you hang w/ when i ran w/ the JCI crew, i went to alot of funerls, i stopped hanging out, i stopped going to so many

riding at "bad times., at 2am on a fri sat night is just asking for trouble. we made it a point at JCI to either leave at 1 or 3
Trump/Zimmerman 2016

Last edited by RACER X; 10-15-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #78
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Quote:
IMO, those are very few and far between. most things you have to anticipate and think for those people and keep yourself safe.

thats why i'm a big advocate of no ipods, no riding when in a bad mood. you have to be on the ball. and always looking and being aware. wearing earplugs helps you concentrate on riding.

other things. the group you hang w/ when i ran w/ the JCI crew, i went to alot of funerls, i stopped hanging out, i stopped going to so many

riding at "bad times., at 2am on a fri sat night is just asking for trouble. we made it a point at JCI to either leave at 1 or 3

Just because you stopped going to them doesnt mean they stopped happening.....so that point is kinda void. although i see what your getting at

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #79
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

true, but it takes a much bigger mental toll when you goto a funeral of a friend of yours then some random rider.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 10-15-2007, 03:45 PM   #80
Unicron

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
CBR RR 600

it is pretty scary out there.
I try to limit my rides to early weekend mornings, or the occational ride to work.
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement