MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #21
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

Getting on a motorcycle and riding is about acceptable risk. Everybody who gets on is willing to fall off.
All of these accidents that we have are people on bikes that accepted that risk. They were doing what they wanted (or loved) and none were forced to ride. This choice is one of the hardest concept for some members on this forum to comprehend.

You have to make a choice if riding a bike is still an acceptable risk for you. If its not, then it is time to get rid of it. But remember that no matter the details of accidents and the fallen we remember, they were doing what they loved. You will have to honest with yourself when you decide.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Houston accidents spike in summer? lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 08-11-2011 02:57 PM
Accidents and time of day question... houtex General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 03-02-2009 10:02 AM
3 Moto-accidents BYRDMAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 07-03-2008 02:08 AM
Accidents!!!!!!!! m@rlen84 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 07-28-2007 02:23 PM
Get ready for the accidents bdmpastx General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-19-2006 02:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #22
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

^ I agree...we have three kids and yet we still both ride. It is a risk...but then again so is life. Riding is not the way I would choose to leave this world but I know it is a possibility.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #23
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

I agree too...my girlfriend and her daughter (we all live together) love to ride...My girlfriend was at one point wanting to ride and wanted to get her own bike and we almost did. Her daughter told her she was afraid of her riding one by herself. So she has decided she'll just ride two up with me on occassion. Every time I go out for a ride I think to myself, "I need to be careful because I want to come back home to them." Not so much that I'm afraid to crash but I would hate to leave and never return.

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #24
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
I too have thought about this quite alot latly, ive been riding for a little over a year now, and have seen my fair share of RIP threads and wrecks. Sadly, most of the time on the street it is become someone was either, not paying attention to you, or was pushing their limit. Thats why when I ride the streets I wear my gear, and make sure all my mirrors get checked and i make eye contact with people before i pass or make any move. Plus wearing a bright helmet helps them see me. But, I am still going to sell my bike.

And come back with something bigger and better next riding season.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:44 AM   #25
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
+1

if its your time its your time there is no increasing or decreasing your chances, when its your time to die its your time no matter what we do its already decided.
That's correct..!! There's no coincidences. That's decided by the "powers-to be".
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #26
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78
+1

if its your time its your time there is no increasing or decreasing your chances, when its your time to die its your time no matter what we do its already decided.

That's correct..!! There's no coincidences. That's decided by the "powers-to be"."

If you put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger... was it your time or not?
Or is that soley determined by wether you survive it or not?

If ALL is predetermined...then 'suicide', or the act of 'killing' one's self is impossible.

Life is full of inherent dangers and risks...it is a basic fact. Sometimes despite all precautions, accidents happen. Sometimes, because precations were/are taken accidents are avoided, or their severity/impact is reduced.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #27
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
That being said, you could just as easily pass in a car accident or falling down a flight of stairs.
+1

I've witnessed a pretty bad car accident not too long ago and one could now think that we shouldn't drive cars anymore because they are dangerous.

Just be careful with whatever you do and give yourself the best chances for surviving. And sometimes, it is just pure luck.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:20 AM   #28
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I couldn't help but post in here....not an awkward feeling at all to think about giving up your riding. For me, this is probably my last season riding the streets although I will be taking it to the track more often. I too have feelings of giving up the sport all together, but I don't think our friends would want us to do that. They liked riding just as much as we do. I'll be taking a few steps back and probably not swing my leg over the bike for a few weeks. This is definitely a reality check....
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:21 AM   #29
Candy
The Most Intolerable bish

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Candy
When I 1st bought my gsxr 750, 5yrs ago it was my very 1st 2-wheeled anything, and I don't think since then had I EVER seriously THOUGHT about the pricey risk of riding.

So i rode that bike and even my new bike to the limit (or at least my limit) EVERYTIME I jumped on it. On a typical wed or fri or sat night, i'd get the normal text or call "hey u riding?" and i'd meet at pp1, we'll RACE around the loop, or the short loop, or various freeway rides, come back to pp1 to laugh and giggle and do it again the next day.... of course this was all FUN FOR ME!!!! Even battled it out here on MH on a couple of occassions DEFENDING WHY we did it!

Last wed I went on the same ride and someone who hadn't ridden with me in awhile asked me 1 ? when we got back to pp1 "why are u riding so conservatively, that's not like u" and I had to explain...it took one life changing experience for me to even began to think about the consequences......having a best friend who u talked to and rode with everyday, ate with his family and spent time in their home, who was only 7 days younger than myself, pass away is what will do it.

I miss Eric Roman EVERYTIME I jump on the moto, and days like 5/9/07 and 10/13/07 where people like him and Matt pay the ultimate toll just to have fun makes riding not worth it IMO, I don't want to loose anyone else, but in reality I know I will, and that grim thought puts me into submission everytime I ride, and it makes riding not FUN anymore, so I see myself reaching an intolerable thought of not riding anymore more and more until I see myself not. As disgusting as that sounds, it's almost inevitable
Old 10-15-2007, 09:22 AM   #30
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

only you know what is right for you and your family.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #31
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:37 AM   #32
Spanish Fly
Take me drunk, I'm home!!

Bike(s):
2003 SV650s (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastGSXR View Post
I don't want to loose anyone else, but in reality I know I will, and that grim thought puts me into submission everytime I ride, and it makes riding not FUN anymore, so I see myself reaching an intolerable thought of not riding anymore more and more until I see myself not. As disgusting as that sounds, it's almost inevitable
couldn't agree with you more!

people who know me know i don't ride crazy and even though i do ride defensively, i always look at cars i pass on fwy to see what they are doing or why they are driving below the speed limit or ETC. and there have been numorus time when i see people driving their cars talking on the phone, chatting with others in the car not paying attention, READING, all while driving and have had a few almost change into my lanes without looking and it makes me realize that one day i might not be so sharp on riding defensively. i know we all do what the cagers do but majority of them don't ride so the cagers don't know to look out for us and feel that one day, i may not be so lucky.

yes i know can take you out anytime he wants but at the same time, right now may be giving me a warning that it is time to get rid of it.

Last edited by Spanish Fly; 10-15-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Spanish Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 AM   #33
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/14328936/detail.html
Old 10-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #34
level5
moving chicane

It's just a phase you are going through. There will always be new riders, old riders, and people gave up riding. "When it's your time, you will go" they say. "some days i don't ride simply because i get a bad feeling every now and then even before stepping outside. i don't know if it's just me or if everyone gets feelings like this?" listen to yourself, quit while you're ahead.
Track riding is dangerous too, unless you putt around the track but even with that it's dangerous to hold up traffic. Go with your feeling, instinct.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #35
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

I have become numb to all of the accidents...I know that it will continue and that there is nothing I can do or say to help stop the situation from happening. Fact of life is that if you live, you're going to die. You can minimize the risk by doing the smart thing like riding responsibly. But riding responsibly is different to each and every individual. It is up to you to make the best decision that benefits you and your family. When someone dies, it doesn't hurt them, it only hurts the ones that loved them. I believe that the accidents and deaths that you read on MH were preventable. Many of the deaths were single vehicle accidents. Which means no one else was at fault but themselves for the actions that they took and the precaustions they failed to take. So think about that the next time you try to play catch up with that group of squids, or the next time you go blindly into a corner. You never know what is going to happen.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #36
100f
Reagan and Peyton's Dad

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
94' 1000F
92' VFR 750

I've been going back and forth on what to do also. I know that it can happen ANYWHERE any time....but I have a 2yr old and one on the way in Dec. and just not sure that it's worth the risk. I LIVE for my family, and the bike is just a perk....relly don't know what to do.
100f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #37
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
If you put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger... was it your time or not?
Or is that soley determined by wether you survive it or not?

If ALL is predetermined...then 'suicide', or the act of 'killing' one's self is impossible.
Life is full of inherent dangers and risks...it is a basic fact. Sometimes despite all precautions, accidents happen. Sometimes, because precations were/are taken accidents are avoided, or their severity/impact is reduced.
you know we all could go on and on about this but everybody has different opinions.
if its your time its your time there are no increaseing or decreasing your chances, you can do what you love to do wether its riding motocycles, skydiving, fliyng planes and live to your 100 or you can play it safe your whole life and get killed by a drunk driver that ran a stop sign and crashed into your bedroom at 3am in the morning. thats why there called accidents we didnt mean for it to happen but if it did then there is a reason for it.
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #38
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100f View Post
I've been going back and forth on what to do also. I know that it can happen ANYWHERE any time....but I have a 2yr old and one on the way in Dec. and just not sure that it's worth the risk. I LIVE for my family, and the bike is just a perk....relly don't know what to do.
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37713

I am surprised that y'all so biased against what Racerx's post. Watch this video and ask yourself is it worth it? It's really an eye opener for me.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:31 AM   #39
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
you know we all could go on and on about this but everybody has different opinions.
if its your time its your time there are no increaseing or decreasing your chances, you can do what you love to do wether its riding motocycles, skydiving, fliyng planes and live to your 100 or you can play it safe your whole life and get killed by a drunk driver that ran a stop sign and crashed into your bedroom at 3am in the morning. thats why there called accidents we didnt mean for it to happen but if it did then there is a reason for it.
You're in denial. You play with fire and one day you will bound to be burn.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:34 AM   #40
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
It's an excuse that removes the freedom of choice from the equation...

Ride intelligently, ride safely and your chances of survival greatly improve.
'Predestination' is not an excuse for bad choices and behaviour.

Advertisement