MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
Spanish Fly
Take me drunk, I'm home!!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2003 SV650s (sold)

accidents

with all these accidents that have been occuring, i have be messing with the idea of possibly selling my bike. i have a new-born on the way and would hate to think of my first child without a parent. it's getting scarey out there on the road. i see alot of distracted drivers out there and would hate to be another example. i guess i am thinking like this because of this lastest accident the hit real close home with our MH brother we lost.
Spanish Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Houston accidents spike in summer? lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 08-11-2011 02:57 PM
Accidents and time of day question... houtex General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 03-02-2009 10:02 AM
3 Moto-accidents BYRDMAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 07-03-2008 02:08 AM
Accidents!!!!!!!! m@rlen84 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 07-28-2007 02:23 PM
Get ready for the accidents bdmpastx General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-19-2006 02:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2007, 12:46 AM   #2
fly_737

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 r6

take it to the track much safer. and you get to keep the bike
Old 10-15-2007, 12:49 AM   #3
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
For some people, a rash of accidents can be a wake-up call.
It can go either way - some get out of riding, some take it to the track, some go for the dirt and trails. Others of us use tragedy of any kind as a reminder that because you don't know how much time you have here, you should make the most of each and every day. That includes getting out and riding if it's something you love.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

FWIW, the track is not always safer.

Granted it's a more controlled environment, but because you're typically pushing the edge of the envelope, you're more likely to find it.

That being said, you could just as easily pass in a car accident or falling down a flight of stairs.
Wear you gear, ride smart and you'll be o.k.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 AM   #5
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

I try to learn from every "rider down" or "I wrecked" threads and try to be a better rider. Seems like every case has a reason to point to as to "why".

It is dangerous to wake up and cross a road to get on a bus, better to choose your poison than to let someone else choose.

And if you are worried about an accident, then make sure you have the skills to be out there, and full coverage and medical insurance "just in case"
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:03 AM   #6
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Death can hit you anywhere anytime. I see it on a daily basis. You might as well drive a tank and live in a vault. My theory is get your life right with whoever it is that you believe in so when that fateful day comes there will be no worries.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:14 AM   #7
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

+1 selling your bike is kind of rash, like patrick says ride smart, and wear your gear. Accidents are always going to happen some sad some happy. All we can do is live life to the fullest, and do what makes you happy. If its riding then ride.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:41 AM   #8
hardcoresteve
Hero since birth

Bike(s):
2007 R6s
1983 FS50 moped

Send a message via AIM to hardcoresteve
nothing can happen to any of us inside is Gods will...IMHO if its our time its our time. you can die walking to you car or eating popcorn..and i had the same thought when i found out, i was just about to call him about riding when i read azylums bulletin on myspace...but he wouldnt want any of us to sell our babies because of it.
hardcoresteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:00 AM   #9
Spanish Fly
Take me drunk, I'm home!!

Bike(s):
2003 SV650s (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETG View Post
I disagree with the post so far,
J
hmmm why is that?

i really have been thinking about getting rid of it but just don't know if it's just because of the shock or what? some days i don't ride simply because i get a bad feeling every now and then even before stepping outside. i don't know if it's just me or if everyone gets feelings like this? i'm just not sure about keeping it anymore, but that's just me. i just don't know if i am just getting too paranoid
Spanish Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:02 AM   #10
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoresteve View Post
nothing can happen to any of us inside is Gods will...IMHO if its our time its our time. you can die walking to you car or eating popcorn..and i had the same thought when i found out, i was just about to call him about riding when i read azylums bulletin on myspace...but he wouldnt want any of us to sell our babies because of it.
+1

if its your time its your time there is no increasing or decreasing your chances, when its your time to die its your time no matter what we do its already decided.
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:48 AM   #11
hardcoresteve
Hero since birth

Bike(s):
2007 R6s
1983 FS50 moped

Send a message via AIM to hardcoresteve
yes i have days where i take my cage because i have a certain gut feeling its not just you
hardcoresteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:51 AM   #12
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

I'll be honest. I need to get rid of my street bike. I never needed one. I love ridind bikes more than anything else in the world that I do. But, street riding has braught me nothing but big trouble, drama, broken bones, lost lots of money. I've seen my father broken real bad on the street along with alot of friends. Had a few good ones die too. If you in this scene long enough, you will see it all. Its a love/ hate hobby in my eyes. I try to calm down more an more after all the bs i've been through but something about the thirll of riding keeps me goin. Its hard to make real friends in sportbikes. When you do. They tend to be great.

I baught my street bike mainly just to cruze when I wanna blow some steam or chill on a nice day. Cage drivers can be nuts... sometime they will try to literally kill you. People say ride defensively...noway. Drive on the offence if you wanna survive for a longe time in my book. Nowadays it seems like I'm getting sucked futher into the H-town streetbike seen. Not every crowd you run into is good news either. Some groups out there going to get your in big trouble. Someriders are nuts and try to get people into that just is plane stupid and they dont give a rats if you are the one thats goin to get killed in the process. Now i im starting to get tired of street bs. I know what my limits are I usually don't ride to them on the street cause I don't want some fool to try to prove himself to me. I don't want to see people die around me ever.

A summer ago 2 friends and I strarted a bike group up here on the northside. We got a strong group together with some from MH. Yankee would ride with us freaquently. I don't know if anyone remebers back in march a big thread about my friend Bryan Walsh that I was riding with. That night he was killed. I think the whole MH site flamed his death and blew so much bullshit about it cause there was so many lies being spread about how it went down. After that happened or pack broke cause it took such a toll on us. He was loved out side the bike world just as much as Matt is to the bike world.... he was just new to bikes so you guys never knew him. Made some of my friends sell their bikes. Now after what happened to Matt. I don't blame anybody for rethinking their situation. What kills me... is for the way I have ridin in the past. I'm ashamed its not me in their place. Makes me ask why these things happen to the nicest people.

I love the track more than anything else. If I added all the bikes I've damaged or totaled or fines etc. I could have tricked out 2 new track bikes and paid for 2 race seaons full. Or be a ***ot an got one of a membership at some golf country club.

I am tossed up and could sell my street bike in the near future just to do the track. Not just cause I feel like its more safe but for all the reasons I spoke of above.

Like said above.... it can happen anytime. In your car, stairs, etc. There is nothing wrong with riding on the street if your smart about it. You have to know your limitations. So it all comes down to what kind of rider and what skill you have I guess.
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:31 AM   #13
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

ask yourself how many of these "accidents" coulda been avoided?

quit hanging w/ the squids and your funeral attendance goes down ALOT.

and yes having a kid changes your perspectives on everything. maybe re-eval. your position after a while after your kid is born.

and +1 make sure your family doesn't have to suffer financially if you go i.e. lotsa life insurance (term life).
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:34 AM   #14
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:11 AM   #15
njay1984
3 for 11

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'07 Yamaha Warrior
03 SV650 track hoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Granted it's a more controlled environment, but because you're typically pushing the edge of the envelope, you're more likely to find it.

That being said, you could just as easily pass in a car accident or falling down a flight of stairs.

I completly agree with that, I love riding TOO much just to give it up, granted the rash of accidents lately has brought some sence of awakening to me but If I were to have an wreck and walk away from it I would hope I would get back on it. That being said I would hate to see you get rid of your bike Rene, and would hope that you put some seious thought into this before you make a harsh call and sell it...
Old 10-15-2007, 06:39 AM   #16
Dobeman

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha FZ1
2009 Kawasaki 250R
2009 Yamaha Rhino Sport
2001 Suzuki DRZ400S

It's about minimizing your risk! We all take some risk when we ride our bike, the only question is some take bigger risks than others. I for one try not to ride if rain is forecast, why? i want to minimize my risk by not riding in the rain. Rain decreases your visibility and greatly decreases your traction, thus increasing your risk! Wearing proper gear limits your risk from serious injury, riding within your skill level limits your risk, etc. etc,

Having said that, of course it is still posssible to get hurt on a bike or worse even when you ahve take all the appropriate measures to reduce your risk. That's the risk we take when we get on our bike or even our atomobile for that matter.
Dobeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #17
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Send a message via MSN to TxBritt08R1
Quote:

Truth.

I could stroke out and die at my desk while posting this - our time is not known to us, only the Lord knows when that day will come. What is that old saying? Live each day as if it were your last? Thats why I kiss my wife and kids everytime I leave whether it be on the bike, or in a car. You never know, and the specific method of transportation doesn't really matter.

Britt
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
TxBritt08R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:10 AM   #18
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Fly View Post
with all these accidents that have been occuring, i have be messing with the idea of possibly selling my bike. i have a new-born on the way and would hate to think of my first child without a parent. it's getting scarey out there on the road. i see alot of distracted drivers out there and would hate to be another example. i guess i am thinking like this because of this lastest accident the hit real close home with our MH brother we lost.
There are dangers everywhere, true, some of the accidents you read about are caused by distracted cagers, but real world, if you do some research, this site has many who go down because of rider error, in fact, there are so many to list but mainly items like : high rate of speed, populated area, no MSF, etc etc.
Its getting tragecally sad to see so many youngsters go down and never get up, and you'd think most would get tired of losing and or visiting downed friends.
Alas, some things never change, kids still do 150 mph+ in neighborhoods, and Scooter is still an for not condoning such actions and trying to wake some people up before its to late.
If one kid gets scared enough to slow down and ride safer, then it was worth it.
I don't agree with the group rides at spirited paces, the skill levels of the riders are varied and someone almost always goes down, even experienced riders, and we all know these rides take place on public streets.
All of this has proven to be a deadly mix on a weekly basis, but yet it still goes on and its still organized here.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 AM   #19
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:

The track is dangerous, but you know why your there and the risks you take are pretty much limited to you and other riders aware of the dangers.
The track has ambulances on standby, the track has a controlled environment so a soccer mom on a cell phone cant pull out in front of you.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:28 AM   #20
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
Death can hit you anywhere anytime. I see it on a daily basis. You might as well drive a tank and live in a vault. My theory is get your life right with whoever it is that you believe in so when that fateful day comes there will be no worries.

that is not always say either...my wifes co worker died when she threw a dvt (deep vein thrombosis) while on the tread mill. Died within a couple minutes.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement