MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Squeaky

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Easy Dual Sport Ride - Sun 10/14

Meet at the Shell/McDonalds at 242 & I45 around 930, KSU @ 10.

The route is about 170 miles of local pavement, unpaved county roads, forest service roads, and whatever looked good on the map. I've not run this route before, but I've ridden many in the area. We can reroute if private property becomes an issue, and there will be opportunities to cut the route short if needed.

This ride is for street legal dirt bikes, dual sports (even the big ones), or REALLY adventurous street riders that think they can keep up . It is NOT going to be a fast ride, and knobby tires are not required. (I'm running on Tourances with the big Strom, so that should give you an idea of what kind of roads we'll be on)

When joining us, I ask that you:
-Be on time - fueled and ready to go by 10am.
-Be prepared - bike in proper working order and street legal.
-Be safe - minimum gear should include helmet, jacket, boots, gloves. ATGATT strongly encouraged. Dirt-specific gear isn't needed.
-Stay hydrated - even with the cool weather that's rolled in lately, a Camelbak or hydration system is strongly encouraged.

207096644 M
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N Sunday 7/2 Dual a Sport ride to Fayetteville maxgs Events, Meets and Rides 5 07-12-2015 06:58 AM
Northeast Dual Sport/SM Ride! Sideburns448 Events, Meets and Rides 25 07-07-2013 10:14 PM
Anyone ride dual sport and do trails????? SGT USMC 0311 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-23-2011 11:52 PM
Supermoto/Motard Ride Sun. 3/14/10 PimpDaub Events, Meets and Rides 62 03-22-2010 05:02 PM
East Texas Dual Sport Overnigher 10/11-12 Squeaky Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 12 10-14-2008 02:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

my goal for the week is getting a tag for the 426...i'd love to join you guys sometime
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
my goal for the week is getting a tag for the 426...i'd love to join you guys sometime
I'm sure there will be plenty more of these. This one is the first DSing for Raul, a new Strom owner. I still need to get the Baja kit for my XR, then plate it as well for some of the tighter stuff.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Old 10-15-2007, 12:40 AM   #4
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Raul (houstonredrider) and I met bright and early (ok, not that early - 10:05) north of Houston so I could show him some of the local unpaved county and forest service roads. Since purchasing a Vstrom 650 a few short weeks ago, he’s been wanting to get out and explore but has never been offroad in the area. I was to act as a tour guide of sorts. Wait, ME? Uh, I usually just follow…

I got to the gas station and filled up, then looked over his bike as he pointed out what it came with and what he’d done with it so far. He asked me if I had any tips or advice for riding the big bike on loose surfaces - I explained the opposite lean, standing on the pegs, staying loose, and staying off the front brake. These are things I can remember being told when I started, but I honestly don’t remember as much of the details as I should. I just kinda point myself in the right direction and go. I can’t (and shouldn’t) teach that.

I did make mention of HATING sand and to shift your weight to the back to keep the front wheel from plowing. I think. Oh geez, I hope I said back…

208276324 M

The paved roads grew more narrow the farther we got from suburbia, and painted lines were soon absent. Concrete curbs gave way to loose tumbled rock and pastures surrounded the ribbons of asphalt.

208276338 M

The dust was everywhere. This is when being the leader on dual sport rides works out in your favor - you can ride with your visor open for air while the rider(s) behind you inhale the grit and grime you’ve kicked up. By the time we arrived in Navasota for lunch, there was a coating of the fine powder all over Raul and his bike.

Yes, it’s a black rim.

208276364 M

A beautiful pair of Zuks.

208276413 M

208276453 M

Raul - thank you for insisting on me handing over the camera. I usually hide behind it but then complain when there aren’t any pictures with me in them….

I figured I could give poor Raul a break after lunch, so I waited until we had a long section without directional changes and sent him on ahead. We did a few runs practicing locking up the back wheel from first and second gear. It’s something I was taught when I started, so I figured I could pass it on. It helps you get used to the feel of the bike doing its own thing - it’s about relinquishing control for a few seconds and trusting that your inputs will have the right effect.

208276501 M

The advantage of being behind the lead rider in a group is the heads-up warnings you get. If you see the rider ahead of you wobble, wobble, plow, POOF! (huge puff of sand getting airborne), it means DON’T follow him into the beach-deep sand with any speed!

I hit the sand and got my own pucker before seeing Raul hit the deck. I deployed the outriggers and brought the beast to a halt, then asked if he was Ok. He was already up and answered yes, so I told him to stay still. I grabbed the camera - which is what any good friend would do after getting the “I’m Ok” from a downed rider.

208276536 M

I almost let my bike’s weight down on my kickstand before realizing my bike was going over . Out comes the kickstand plate, which I’m very glad I put back in the tank bag! As I got to Raul, he was trying to get the bike up but the back end was sliding. I was able to hold the back end still while Raul grunted the weight back up onto the tires. The clutch lever looked like it might have gotten bent, but of all places to land on the ground, this fluffy sand was about the softest he could have picked.

208276564 M

We continued on, and at least one CR listed on the map has either become private property or a property owner is WAY out of line to build where he/she/they did. It’s as if they dropped their house right ON the road. Grr

208276585 M

208276694 M

208276772 M

As we crossed over Hwy 30 southbound into the Sam Houston National Forest, the smell of fire wafted in the air. Raul and I agreed it appeared to be controlled brush fires to clear out the dense underbrush.

208276837 M

We played hot potato camera

208276854 M

208276889 M

Then headed for more of this

208276959 M

The surface become less sandy and more rocky the farther east we went. We got to one of the trailhead parking areas and there were a few riders milling about, so we went in to take a break and look around. Nobody I recognized, but there was a pair on a GS and a Strom leaving as we arrived.

We took the opportunity to park the bikes and stretch for a few minutes, and Raul got a call that his presence was requested for dinner in the Woodlands. We’d let the day stretch on long enough, so we remounted and headed for I45, slabbing south. We waved adieu as Raul took his exit, and I wrestled my way through traffic back down into Houston. Mother Nature decided to pitch in on the bike and gear cleaning effort, opening up the skies with showers after I'd entered the loop, not stopping until I was a few blocks from home.

Purple - proposed route
Yellow - track log of today’s ride

208358464 M

234 Miles
Start 0915
End 0631
Old 10-15-2007, 03:37 AM   #5
Cody_Rules
this.

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
650r nekkid

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Cody_Rules
did you happen to be off bw8 and bissonet 6ish to 7ish i think i saw you
Old 10-15-2007, 04:09 AM   #6
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Hiya Rebecca! I didn't know Raul was still on the scene, much less that he went to dual sport riding. Nice to see him again. How are his girls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_Rules View Post
did you happen to be off bw8 and bissonet 6ish to 7ish i think i saw you
I came down Belfort to the Beltway and took it up to Bissonnet, yup. Ducked into the McD to take some dinner home. Were you on the bike or in a cage? I didn't see any bikes around at that time because it had already started raining. My bike is fairly recognizable, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcknstrips View Post
Hiya Rebecca! I didn't know Raul was still on the scene, much less that he went to dual sport riding. Nice to see him again. How are his girls?
He just recently got the Strom. Still has his CBR, and doesn't have any plans of giving it up. Sandy and the girls were doing the "girly thing" all day.

Advertisement