Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #61
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Let us know how far you get with that... it might do you good to check out the law/code on vehicles first though.

for example...

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/txmclaws.htm

"TRC 521.227.

INSPECTION BY PEACE OFFICER.

Any peace officer may stop and detain a motorcycle, motor driven cycle, or moped to determine if the vehicle is of a model and make certified by the department. "

Seems there's your 'probable cause' right there.
, I didn't even know that.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's all the "FOREIGN BIKERS" that make us US bikers look bad Track_Graphics General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 05-07-2014 08:39 AM
Florida Cops. Bikers & Guns pinball Off Topic 8 12-11-2011 09:14 PM
Photo Of The Century? Bikers overwhelm local cops with highway stunt show hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 58 09-27-2011 09:06 AM
!! cops, cops, cops... floyd600 Off Topic 6 11-05-2010 10:19 AM
one for GB, Cops chasing Cops RACER X Off Topic 11 02-16-2009 01:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #62
zampano

Send a message via AIM to zampano
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPoRiderRR View Post
Master of Pain... You do not need Probable Cause to run a plate... It is what they call IN PLAIN VIEW... so once the plate is run the vin comes up too... that is when the Alert comes on... Know your stuff first b4 you talk about it...
dang dude, you sure seem pretty moody about all this, its the internet someone is always going to post when they dont know everything they are talking about, or maybe because they were simply misinformed. chill

anyway, the frame being melted doesnt sound right, although Ive heard of that before... seems like if its stolen that they would want to return it, not destroy it so Im a bit confused by the logic there. Stick to your guns man, there has got to be a way to resolve this
zampano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #63
mr_joe

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 R6-Sold
2008 CBR1000

i'm hoping that it was a error on Tx Dots part and he gets his bike back. maybe a key error and it was a different vin #. Hey it could happen. best case don't you think?

www.myspace.com/mrjoes
mr_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #64
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 CBR 1000 RR *** SOLD ***

Yes the VIN comes up with the plate... Bc the Plate is you Registration to the Car/Bike... The only thing we cant tell is your MVI which is your Motor Vehicle Inspection... And if I seem cranky its bc MANY people dont understand that Most cops are really good guys/gall... we just have a JOB to do... So to keep people out of trouble I would be Happy to run someones VIN for them b4 they buy a bike... ONLY ON LEGIT SALES!!!... and for the record if the plate is not in plain view or its not readable bc of postioning or dirt or whatever , that too is PC for a stop
Old 10-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #65
zampano

Send a message via AIM to zampano
Quote:
Yes the VIN comes up with the plate... Bc the Plate is you Registration to the Car/Bike... The only thing we cant tell is your MVI which is your Motor Vehicle Inspection... And if I seem cranky its bc MANY people dont understand that Most cops are really good guys/gall... we just have a JOB to do... So to keep people out of trouble I would be Happy to run someones VIN for them b4 they buy a bike... ONLY ON LEGIT SALES!!!... and for the record if the plate is not in plain view or its not readable bc of postioning or dirt or whatever , that too is PC for a stop
totally agree, you guys do have a job to do and you dont get enough respect for it. Ive been pulled over by cops before who were helpfull and Ive been pulled over by cops who werent, and sometimes people are just having a bad day or in a bad mood. Some have the attitude that they are there to do a job right for others best interest and Ive been told by others (ok one) that they are there to give people to keep them in line.... some people are just not happy people. I appreciate your input though, and your effort to help, it makes more sense to PREVENT problems.
zampano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:13 PM   #66
jrayhouston
Always time for a ride!

Bike(s):
2001 GSX-R 1000

i have gotten stopped before for the plate positioning and no light. I repositioned the plate more forward and put a light.
jrayhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #67
<E>

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
01 CBR929RR (For Sale)
05 Busa (For Sale)

Quote:
hey, that website appears to say that all motorcycles must have turn signals. but everyone tells me i don't have to, including the guy at the dealership that does my inspections. would any law enforcement folks be kind enough to clear this up for me? thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #68
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by <E> View Post
hey, that website appears to say that all motorcycles must have turn signals. but everyone tells me i don't have to, including the guy at the dealership that does my inspections. would any law enforcement folks be kind enough to clear this up for me? thanks in advance.

I believe the gist is, If your bike was equipped with turn signals then they must comply with the standards set. If you add turn signals, then they must also comply within the standards set... if it wasn't you don't have to worry about it.

Read further down and there's a section on required lighting, to whic the gist is headlight/tailight(stop light), plate light and reflectors. (see below...)

"TRC §547.801.

LIGHTING EQUIPMENT.

(a) A motorcycle, including a motor-driven cycle, shall be equipped with:

(1) not more than two headlamps mounted at a height from 24 to 54 inches;

(2) at least one taillamp mounted at a height from 20 to 72 inches;

(3) a taillamp or separate lamp to illuminate the rear license plate that complies with the requirements of Sections 547.322(f) and (g);

(4) at least one stoplamp that complies with the requirements of Section 547.323(d); and

(5) at least one rear red reflector that complies with the requirements of Section 547.325(b) and may be included as a part of the taillamp.

(b) A motorcycle, other than a motor-driven cycle, shall be equipped with multiple-beam lighting equipment that produces:

(1) an uppermost distribution of light that reveals a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 300 feet ahead; and

(2) a lowermost distribution of light that:

(A) reveals a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and

(B) is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam on the motorcycle that is on a straight and level road under any condition of loading projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator.

(c) A motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with:

(1) multiple-beam lighting equipment that complies with the requirements of Subsection (b); or

(2) single-beam lighting equipment that:

(A) emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle:

(i) at a distance of at least 100 feet when the cycle is operated at a speed less than 25 miles per hour;

(ii) at a distance of at least 200 feet when the cycle is operated at a speed of 25 miles per hour or more; and

(iii) at a distance of at least 300 feet when the cycle is operated at a speed of 35 miles per hour or more; and

(B) is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam from the lamp on a loaded cycle projects a beam higher than the level center of the lamp for a distance of 25 feet ahead.

(d) A motorcycle may not be operated at any time unless at least one headlamp on the motorcycle is illuminated. This subsection does not apply to a motorcycle manufactured before the model year 1975. "
Old 10-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #69
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

..if you REALLY want clarification, go to that site and send an email to Cliff.burdette, there's a link.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #70
csmilo23

Bike(s):
01 gixxer 600

Like the others on here I just wanna know how did he register and insure a stolen bike?
csmilo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #71
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Man, I hate the popo's. They aren't cool, they're just out to get me.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #72
MadseasoN

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Most cops are really good guys/gall... we just have a JOB to do...
Most people do know that and it's not the 'good' cops that we worry about. It's the ones that pull you over and start talking or accuse you of being guilty by association.

Case in point:
I was in a group of five bikes headed north on SW Fwy from B8. I watched HPD speed past us on the feeder road (had to be doing at least 70-80mph) blowing through intersections and all. She went about a mile ahead of us, entered the fwy, then waited on the shoulder until we passed her. She pulled up next to me and gave me a dirty look then eased back and followed us for about a mile.

She eventually pulled over one biker that was not wearing a helmet. I thought to myself, the crime rate in that area is the highest as anywhere in Houston and this is what takes priority for HPD? How many lives did she endanger by haulin' on the feeder through those intersections?

The fact that she pulled up next to me and gave me a dirty look tells me that she had a personal issue with us.

Last edited by MadseasoN; 10-11-2007 at 06:38 PM.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #73
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
.... I bought a bike from there. Looks like I will need to PM you poporider when I get home. If you don't mind. The bike I got there the vin is stamped into steel but my rc51's vin is a joke. It's a sticker.
my vin is a sticker too. but i got it from the dealership. thats how honda rolls
Old 10-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #74
<E>

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
01 CBR929RR (For Sale)
05 Busa (For Sale)

TRC 547.324.

TURN SIGNAL LAMPS REQUIRED.

(a)Exceptas provided by Subsection (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer shall be equipped with electric turn signal lamps that indicate the operator's intent to turn by displaying flashing lights to the front and rear of a vehicle or combination of vehicles and on that side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made.

(c) Turn signal lamps:

(1) shall be mounted at the same level and spaced as widely apart as practicable on the front and on the rear of the vehicle; and

(2) may be included as a part of another lamp on the vehicle.

(d) A turn signal lamp shall emit:

(1) a white or amber light, or a color between white and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the front of the vehicle; or

(2) a red or amber light, or a color between red and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the rear of the vehicle.

(e) A turn signal lamp must be visible in normal sunlight at a distance of:

(1) at least 500 feet from the front and rear of the vehicle if the vehicle is at least 80 inches wide; and

(2) at least 300 feet from the front and rear of the vehicle if the vehicle is less than 80 inches wide.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:40 PM   #75
Master_Of_Pain
Powa Ranga Action Figure

Quote:
Master of Pain... You do not need Probable Cause to run a plate... It is what they call IN PLAIN VIEW... so once the plate is run the vin comes up too... that is when the Alert comes on... Know your stuff first b4 you talk about it...

Did you read the post? I mentioned "running the plates" as PC specifically.
Master_Of_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:55 PM   #76
Master_Of_Pain
Powa Ranga Action Figure

Quote:
Let us know how far you get with that... it might do you good to check out the law/code on vehicles first though.

for example...

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/txmclaws.htm

"TRC 521.227.

INSPECTION BY PEACE OFFICER.

Any peace officer may stop and detain a motorcycle, motor driven cycle, or moped to determine if the vehicle is of a model and make certified by the department. "

Seems there's your 'probable cause' right there.
Reasonable suspicion, however is the "common sense" behind the mechanics of this premise. If all the running gear is in order, with no obfuscation of the manufacturer's logos, etc, or, "stock", then reasonable suspicion becomes a bit less unreasonable.

It's cool to argue legal situations on the forums, I work in the legal sector, but the bottom line is a LEO can and most likely will stop you at any time for any reason. If it happens to you, and you feel that it was out of line, targeted, etc. - you have avenues of recourse, and I suggest you use it. If you were out of line, it's on you.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:15 AM   #77
eugene

that's crazy. good luck man!
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #78
Master_Of_Pain
Powa Ranga Action Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974 View Post
The fact that she pulled up next to me and gave me a dirty look tells me that she had a personal issue with us.
There are a lot of responsible, mature riders on this forum. There a lot more shitheads, idiots and dumbasses then the latter statistic in the general populace, hence the reason why "we" get targeted. Cops are human, and as such will be biased.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:06 AM   #79
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Pain View Post
Reasonable suspicion, however is the "common sense" behind the mechanics of this premise. If all the running gear is in order, with no obfuscation of the manufacturer's logos, etc, or, "stock", then reasonable suspicion becomes a bit less unreasonable.

It's cool to argue legal situations on the forums, I work in the legal sector, but the bottom line is a LEO can and most likely will stop you at any time for any reason. If it happens to you, and you feel that it was out of line, targeted, etc. - you have avenues of recourse, and I suggest you use it. If you were out of line, it's on you.

as I said.... Let us know how far you get with that.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:48 AM   #80
Warpbender
warped and bent

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'07 Yammy FZ1 "the faster blue one"
'04 DR650se (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrayhouston View Post
There is never a 100% way to find a legit bike unless it is new, but the detective said that when i do buy another bike (and it will happen) that i can write down the vin# on the frame and motor and take it to any police department they can and will run it.
I think if you enter your vin here it will validate or not...
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/services/...tive_value.htm

Life is too short not to ride nekkid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
So keep talking chit or try it.
Warpbender is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement