Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #41
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

.... I bought a bike from there. Looks like I will need to PM you poporider when I get home. If you don't mind. The bike I got there the vin is stamped into steel but my rc51's vin is a joke. It's a sticker.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's all the "FOREIGN BIKERS" that make us US bikers look bad Track_Graphics General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 05-07-2014 08:39 AM
Florida Cops. Bikers & Guns pinball Off Topic 8 12-11-2011 09:14 PM
Photo Of The Century? Bikers overwhelm local cops with highway stunt show hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 58 09-27-2011 09:06 AM
!! cops, cops, cops... floyd600 Off Topic 6 11-05-2010 10:19 AM
one for GB, Cops chasing Cops RACER X Off Topic 11 02-16-2009 01:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #42
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
I bought my first bike from Global. It was an older guy who appeared to own/run the shop - he seemed like a really nice guy. Delivered my bike 40 miles in the bike of his truck during rush hour on a Thursday afternoon.

I hope it was an honest mistake on Global's part and it doesn't turn out that they were intentionally ripping people off.

Hopefully he'll make it right by you.
Yeah they all seemed nice there but I like to be safe than sorry.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #43
mr_joe

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 R6-Sold
2008 CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPoRiderRR View Post
The Title " The latest with cops and bikers " is the WRONG title... Again it's blaming cops or at least makes it look like it is... The cop did NOTHING wrong... He just simply put a VIN # in his in car PC and a computer voice came back saying " alert alert alert " that means its stolen... what is the cop supposed to do??? just say Fudge it and let it go??? IMO Global Motorsports is to blame not the cops... And as far as the comment about Cops running Motorcycle VINS, NEWS FLASH, WE DO THAT ALL THE TIME WITH CARS TOO... Thats what we do! So go take it out on Global... And if Ya ll are having a legit deal that I can verify ( I will run the VINS for you ) so that you ALL dont have this happen again... Just PM me and Ill get you the info...
yea that happend plenty times over the frist three months i had my bike. i had my R6 before the general public had it so they thought i had a stolen prototype. sucks to be stopped so frequantly but hey makes me feel good that if my bike was stolen i know they are out looking for them.
o and it never fails if i had the bike in the back of the truck Pasadena PD would stop to run the vin.

but i agree with level5. if you got a title from TXdot then how did it get threw them as being good?

www.myspace.com/mrjoes
mr_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #44
Unicron

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
CBR RR 600

man, sorry to hear about your troubles.
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #45
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

when i was loading up by bike in T_NGO's truck to go to austin, we had 2 league city cops stop to see what we were doing... the first just watched us for a minute, drove through the parking lot and then pulled in... no joke... at a donut shop. the second got out and immediately ran the plates and vin's and checked our info... kudos to him, i didn't mind at all with him taking those few minutes to do so.
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #46
Master_Of_Pain
Powa Ranga Action Figure

Quote:
The Title " The latest with cops and bikers " is the WRONG title...
I agree with you up to a point, however pulling a driver over without probable cause is a huge issue. How many R-1s are out there that look alike? Thousands. Were a LEO to run a visible plate, and have it come back with a warning is clearly probable cause, pulling a driver over for the purpose of checking VIN on a standard production motorcycle, without any probable cause other than suspicion due to a hotsheet descriptor akin to "Motorcycle, Sports, Blue" becomes a privacy issue. You'd better believe I'd be filing a complaint and bringing it to the attention of an oversight committee.
Master_Of_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #47
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Pain View Post
I agree with you up to a point, however pulling a driver over without probable cause is a huge issue. How many R-1s are out there that look alike? Thousands. Were a LEO to run a visible plate, and have it come back with a warning is clearly probable cause, pulling a driver over for the purpose of checking VIN on a standard production motorcycle, without any probable cause other than suspicion due to a hotsheet descriptor akin to "Motorcycle, Sports, Blue" becomes a privacy issue. You'd better believe I'd be filing a complaint and bringing it to the attention of an oversight committee.
Man be cool you wont win, you know why..... Cause they have the right to pull you over and inspect yout helment to see if it is DOT approved and when I get pulled over they check not only my VIN but my helment all .... I was speeding .... no excuse for that but all he has to say is that he was inspecting your helment. And thought that he may as well run the VIN so dont even waste your time trying to fuss about it you wont win. IF you dont like it RUN everyboday runs Sh*t he wont be able to keep up..... I KID I KID respect the law please
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #48
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Why do you have to have a dot approved helmet? This is texas we don't have no goofy helmet law like cali does.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #49
aznhero913
J.D.

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)
1992 Yamaha Seca (1st one)

man that sux dude, sorry.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #50
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
groovy, sorry the system got ya popped, but seriously, it sounds like they were doing their job and got to the bottom of it properly , sorry it cost you some time, inconveinance to your dad and your bike, but its good they are going to be thinning out the thieves and turds of society.
I'll gladly pull over for that inspection and am happy to see it happening.
Good luck with your suit, I hope ya bend 'em over backwards.
same here

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #51
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Why do you have to have a dot approved helmet? This is texas we don't have no goofy helmet law like cali does.
Yes, we do.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #52
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
I doubt he was stopped simply for the purpose of running the vin number. That would be pretty stupid dont you think. Looking at his avatar, I cant see the factory fender with the license plate holder. If if its anything like my bike was then its stuffed behind the rear wheel somehwhere, without a license plate light, and no rear red reflectors. Plenty of probable cause for a traffic stop.

And yes, law enforcement can stop you for the purpose of a helmet inspection. I think thats an old law still on the books because all helmets sold now have dot or snell printed somewehere on the back of the helmet.

For that matter I can simply walk up to any bike I please and run the vin number. You're not being detained so you are free to go at any time.

Last edited by andre3k; 10-11-2007 at 11:41 AM.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #53
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
You aren't automatically entitled to ride w/o a helmet in Texas. You have to meet certain criteria (which I don't know because I always ride w/ a helmet) like be above 21, carry $10,000 in personal medical coverage, and must have completed MSF(?).

You can get a helmet exemption sticker, which I would think would preclude one from getting pulled over to check one's helmet, but without that you can def. be pulled over to have your helmet checked.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #54
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 CBR 1000 RR *** SOLD ***

Master of Pain... You do not need Probable Cause to run a plate... It is what they call IN PLAIN VIEW... so once the plate is run the vin comes up too... that is when the Alert comes on... Know your stuff first b4 you talk about it...
Old 10-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #55
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Master of Pain... You do not need Probable Cause to run a plate... It is what they call IN PLAIN VIEW... so once the plate is run the vin comes up too... that is when the Alert comes on... Know your stuff first b4 you talk about it...
Pardon my ignorance and just to be sure....the license plate is linked to the VIN...???

The VIN is not visible on my bike...!!! I guess is stamped sowhere in the frame..?? What if the cop can not find it..??
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #56
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
.... I bought a bike from there. Looks like I will need to PM you poporider when I get home. If you don't mind. The bike I got there the vin is stamped into steel but my rc51's vin is a joke. It's a sticker.

does it have the frame stamped under the sticker? My Harley is that way, a sticker and an imprint into the steel

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #57
jrayhouston
Always time for a ride!

Bike(s):
2001 GSX-R 1000

To everyone that has posted on this thread i just want to point out that i have much respect for the officer that night. He could have easily taken me to jail but he took the time to verify my story. The reason for the stop was the fact that there is a ring of stolen bikes being passed throughout houston and that the officer himself is a rider. May not be on a rocket but it's still on two wheels. And my dad showed up while the officers were still there and they were waiting on the wrecker so it's not like they stranded me there.
jrayhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #58
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
I don't think the officer ran the plate initially, or maybe he did and it was a legit response from nlets and tcic. The guy stated that the officer was in his shop for a while before he ever stepped out of the vehicle, I can only assume that he was calling out on it and ran the plate. If the vehicle came back stolen before he got out of the car then it would be a felony stop and the unit would have to call for backup. My thinking is that he didn't perfom a felony stop initially then the vin of the plate and frame are different.

If the plate wasn't very visible then he may not have been able to run the plate from the car initially. Its after the officer copied the vin from the bike when it was discovered that it was stolen, maybe it appeared to be altered. I saw a vin stamped on a frame that looked like it was done with a die and a hammer.

Last edited by andre3k; 10-11-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #59
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Let us know how far you get with that... it might do you good to check out the law/code on vehicles first though.

for example...

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/txmclaws.htm

"TRC §521.227.

INSPECTION BY PEACE OFFICER.

Any peace officer may stop and detain a motorcycle, motor driven cycle, or moped to determine if the vehicle is of a model and make certified by the department. "

Seems there's your 'probable cause' right there.

Last edited by Ulric; 10-11-2007 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added link...
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #60
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
[/B]
does it have the frame stamped under the sticker? My Harley is that way, a sticker and an imprint into the steel
the sticker is visible and its also stamped on the frame. on SS bikes the body work may cover it up. easier to see on the cruisers.

Advertisement