Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 02:05 PM   #41
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
by the way carbs have smoother on/off throttle cause the fuel as to flow more through the carb as you get on it. fuel injection is more jerky on/off throttle.
+1,000
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Warming up your fuel-injected beast... NitroHonda General Discussion (Moto Related) 66 04-01-2011 08:33 AM
carb'd vs Fuel injected venezuelan12 Stunters Lounge 11 11-02-2009 10:19 PM
carburator tuning randomwalk101 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 08-10-2009 09:26 AM
first bike, fuel injected or carbeurated? along77082 Safety Corner Main 31 04-21-2008 06:30 PM
Question about Roll Starting your Fuel Injected Bikes AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 01-28-2008 06:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #42
paniro187

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zampano View Post
well ok I should change what I said to that I prefer carb over fi... there are advantages to both, and yes fi is cleaner emmissions and can give better gas milage although on a bike how much would it really matter? in a car yeah thats a significant differance

and where can I find billy? is he in houston?
pm sent.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #43
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
since you're being bull headed about it. funny the people no better are saying it doesn't really matter. Not saying i knkow all because believe me a i knkow far from all but i know there is no reason to pick a bike just because it is not fuel injected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zampano View Post
there are advantages to both
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
fuel injection isn't necessarily better....it's more convenient.
Fuel injection is better because it's more convenient.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #44
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

... starting perhaps? My old intruder was a to get started on cold mornings. Didn't get it within 2 tries, walk off and come back 30minutes late to try again.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #45
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
... starting perhaps? My old intruder was a to get started on cold mornings. Didn't get it within 2 tries, walk off and come back 30minutes late to try again.
weren't tuned right jsut sounds like a problem to me not "because of the carbs"

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #46
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
FI boasts better fuel economy... why? Efficiency; i.e. the computer can control output from pressure to pulse width; where as a general vacuum-to-meter set-up on a carburator. Fuel injection monitors engine speed, air density, on an on I can go to provide optimum mixture for performance at set rpm; where as a carburator dumps a 'squirt' of gas into channel when rolling on throttle before venturi vacuum can accomidate the increase from flow.

More complicated? sure... but we don't have to do any of the mathematics, both systems set and go. FI continually adapts and carb is set to general metering.

Racers that use carb set ups do so for ease of compatablilty of products. Once cams, intakes, exhausting and so on are changed(even altitude changes) easier to change a metering rod in a carb then remap a system; performance at idle is not an issue in the race world. The BMW Formula idles at 7krpms. ten cylinder engine weights 320lbs and redlines somewhere around 18krpms. It measures air intake by cylinder liters(like what industrial companies send cleaner in) per second. If someone would like the specs I have for this engine, let me know, have it at work.

Out of class example: the cars we work on have direct injection, variable timing camshafts(24 deg both directions on all four cams), does have a throttle but uses valve opening to control idle... I can go on. Even spray pattern is changed from the injector(which doesn't use a coil winding to operate but crystals) to cool the cylinder and optimize burn for fuel economy and performance.

It's like choosing between Dotmatrix and ur new 2GB processor notebook.

I own both, appreciate both for what they are... It's your choice...
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #47
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
my 02 is carbed and its a pain in the to mess with the carbs, but i think i got it all straight now. i will be selling it soon looking for an 05 instead.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #48
yamaR6281
i ride really slow

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
600rr

i like fuel injected. love the fact that i can start the bike cold and not having to worry about it shutting off on it. my r6 was a carb, and man during the winter, it would me off.
yamaR6281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #49
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
weren't tuned right jsut sounds like a problem to me not "because of the carbs"
The carbs is the trouble for majority of cold start, easy to flood that if you don't know how to start it right. What is tuning? Right fuel/air mixture, correct ignition timing.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #50
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaR6281 View Post
i like fuel injected. love the fact that i can start the bike cold and not having to worry about it shutting off on it. my r6 was a carb, and man during the winter, it would me off.
I am not the only one that feels this way.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #51
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool
I think people here are just getting confused with what works versus what doesnt and what's more convenient versus not.

Carbs and FI both work and are both good in their own form and have their individual application which each excels in. Just because someone can't work with carbs or has a hard time with them doesn't mean they're not as good as the other, just means YOU don't know how to work with them and are finding something to blame for your struggles.

carbs require a bit more maintenance? yeah perhaps...
not as complex as FI? yeah probably...
both can do a of a job? if properly tuned...
both have their kinks and issues here and there? absolutely...
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #52
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool View Post
I think people here are just getting confused with what works versus what doesnt and what's more convenient versus not.

Carbs and FI both work and are both good in their own form and have their individual application which each excels in. Just because someone can't work with carbs or has a hard time with them doesn't mean they're not as good as the other, just means YOU don't know how to work with them and are finding something to blame for your struggles.

carbs require a bit more maintenance? yeah perhaps...
not as complex as FI? yeah probably...
both can do a of a job? if properly tuned...
both have their kinks and issues here and there? absolutely...

carbs is old school thinking

Young buck likes latest and greatest gadget. Whose here still have rotary dial phone? Whose here still have brick like cell phone or military looking cell phone? Latest are greatest.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #53
rideForrestride

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
i'm not saying carbs are better than injection. Just that the reasons people usually provide as to why injection is better than carbs are usually misguided or really mostly pushed by the "injection is newer" thought.
I have to agree with this. Before I bought my "old" R1, I looked a little into the carb vs. FI issue because of hearing talk about how FI is better. Each has advantages and disadvantages over the other. If a carbed bike is well-tuned it can run just as good or even better than a FI bike.
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #54
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

FI less maintence
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #55
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

FI rocks over carbs. Carbs hold fuel in the atmosphere which means as they sit, the gas evaporates, and leaves behind goo. All arbed bikes need to be started once a week or so, or run out of gas on the off position or, over time, they will all get gummed and need some cleaning. I've done probably 100 carb rebuilds and they are absolutely no fun, period.

Fi can sit for months, even years, with no gummy deposits to speak of. Fuel is trapped by the closed injectors. And when it does get gummy, you still have a pump with necessary PSI to pump the bits and pieces thru the injector.

So, if you don't ride for 6 months and leave your bike sitting FI rules.

Carbs are just compromises all around. Fuel metering is spotty. We need 12.5 parts fuel to 1 part air, by wiehgt, for ideal combustion. But a bike will run at prolly 11.0 to 1 to 14.5 to 1 without a the rider knowing the difference.

Carbs feeling better to a rider are just personal taste. Maybe a ZX7 has a lot of flywheel weight vs a gsxr, you think? Maybe your right wrist is overactive.

FI FTW. Carbs to the dumpster. No, not because newer is better, but because better is better. If everyone wanted a carb feel to the powerband, the engineers would just engineer the fuel / ignition map to give that old school feel.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #56
level5
moving chicane

Carbs suck at high altitude. Has anyone ever ridden or a drive a carb car on the mountains in west coast? No need adjustment with the FI bikes or cars, it will self calibrate and adjust according. That my friend, you can take it to the bank and get a loan for a latest and greatest.

Advertisement