MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 PM   #21
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

MAN LAWS HAVE BEEN BROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! taser that F' hole if you see him again KICK HIS Mirrors OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-

Last edited by NoFear; 10-10-2007 at 10:31 PM.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'School looks like Millennium Falcon from space? "Mere coincidence" or best stealth a ELSpurgeO Off Topic 2 04-21-2012 08:58 AM
Stunt rider copies Steve McQueen's motorcycle jump from "The Great Escape" RojerLockless Off Topic 3 02-16-2009 12:06 PM
Almost a "bring a kawapuke rider to work day today" DOA General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 05-21-2007 01:02 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #22
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaner-n-u View Post
You should have had your MH sticker on your bike so he could have looked us up.
You should go give Guitar Man a lap dance ..... WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!.... and cook some food when you are finished.....

I kid I kid..... sorry for whoring your thread dude

But I do think that you are being a little gay about the whole space thing
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-

Last edited by NoFear; 10-10-2007 at 10:33 PM.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #23
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
rob,

i think your the one being weird. sounds to me like a laid back chopper rider was being cool, even gave you a compliment... and you were being all funny duddy. this is not how we make friends.
i wouldnt want another bike next to me in my lane, while riding...but at the light thats fine...whats he gonna do that could hurt me??? drop his own bike next to me and people think im an idiot for being with him? :dontknow: i certainly dont see any safety issues about being side by side at a light.

ive never heard of your rule either...i think you made it up. if anything it would be the opposite. dont crowd a rider while moving, but pulling up alongside someone at a light to make quick chat about bikes...thats just being friendly and socialable.

what kind of world is it when a biker cant say a couple friendly words to a fellow biker he's never met?

reminds me of a couple times ive been on a lunch break grabbing some fast food, i bring in my helmet. i might happen to see a bike in the lot, and if i see a person inside with a lid, i say something like "hey, that your bike?" or whatever, and if they dont feel like talking its pretty obvious, so ill leave them alone. but a couple times ive had some cool chats about bikes with total strangers over a burger (from different tables, lol). to me that is just civilized.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #24
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
MAN LAWS HAVE BEEN BROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! taser that F' hole if you see him again KICK HIS Mirrors OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PFFFFFT!!! LOLZOMGWTFBBQ! YEAHHH!!!

THEN GIVE HIM TEH FINGER AS YOU WHOOLIEZ PASTED HIM ON ONE WHEELZ! THEN ENDO AND LET HIM PAST YOU SO YOU CAN DOWNSHIFTORZ TWICE AND BURN PASTED PAST HIM AGHAIN AT LIKE 400 MPHES!!!! !

THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BUY POWERTHIRST!

Last edited by Chris24; 10-10-2007 at 10:37 PM.
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #25
Warpbender
warped and bent

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'07 Yammy FZ1 "the faster blue one"
'04 DR650se (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
PFFFFFT!!! LOLZOMGWTFBBQ! YEAHHH!!!

THEN GIVE HIM TEH FINGER AS YOU WHOOLIEZ PASTED HIM ON ONE WHEELZ! THEN ENDO AND LET HIM PAST YOU SO YOU CAN DOWNSHIFTORZ TWICE AND BURN PASTED PAST HIM AGHAIN AT LIKE 400 MPHES!!!! !

THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BUY POWERTHIRST!

I think that is the funniest thing I've ever read!

Life is too short not to ride nekkid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
So keep talking chit or try it.
Warpbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #26
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
i think you were out of line. there is no "unwritten law" concerning that at all. he was polite, and followed procedure when he waited for you to take off first. you were just being an following some "law" that only you know of.
I don't think I was being an . I ackowledged him, and responded. yes, I did not engage him all too much, but that's because... well, i explained that already. I'm not gonna take off first, if I don't know what he's gonna do. he was blip happy with his throttle, by the way. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in this motorcycling world that knows of this "rule". And as you can see, i put that word in parenthesis because it a "rule" that may be taken lightly. I think it was 1985 when a fellow rider told me about this, and it's something you tell your friends when they don't know about it. something like this: "Ah man, you just broke the "rule"!... "What rule?"... "You know the rule that when you approach a guy....."

Don't take this too seriously.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:23 PM   #27
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

I just called a friend of mine in Florida. He rides a HD Fatboy, over 55 yrs old, and has been riding for over 30+ years. He goes to all the Rallies in the East Coast, especially Florida. I asked him if he knew anything about this "rule", and explained it to him. His immediate response was "Oh yeah, man. You NEVER do that!" He explained it had to do with motorcycling and history. The old "gang" bike mentality that doing that was a way of calling for a "challenge" to race, initiate a biker "standoff", etc, etc. So there's a little history... or folklore!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:40 PM   #28
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Then maybe the "rule" doesn't apply to lady riders?
I don't have many issues with my personal space off the bike either. Just curious, but how close is "too close" in person when it's another guy?
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 PM   #29
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFR101 View Post
I think the rule is dying out in the new generation of riders. Looks like the vast majority of those voting in the poll don't mind it. To tell you the truth, I never even considered it an intrusion until you posted this thread. I have never had a bad experience in all the times I have done it or had somebody do it to me. Like I mentioned before, I have met many new riding buddies doing so.
You're probably right! Anyway, I just got this e-mail from my sister in Florida:

I learned a little lesson of biker etiquette. Everytime I ride up front, when coasting to a red light, I would slide into an empty spot even if I land next to someone I don't know--someone that is not part of my group. I'd nod, he'd nod. Well...he'd nod after looking at me weird. And --keen me---I'd sense something not right here. Hmmmm.... Then II'd notice the guys I'm riding with--including my hubby--would inch up close behind me and around me. My "gang" would be at rapt attention to me and whoever the poor soul was next to me. LOL. I'd roll my eyes and shake my head. What the heck was this overreaction for??! We're just at a feakin red light. It was ridiculous. After doing this several times, one day I was asked why did I do that and I said, "I dunno. Save space?" I was informed that doing that wasn't cool, kinda like invading a biker's space. I didn't know my act had a history of "biker gang" intimidation techniques!! It wasn't in the manual. Another guy told me that out of safety, he tries never to ride next to inexperienced riders or riders he doesn't know because he doesn't trust their riding skills.....whether they're taking off or slowing down or riding 5--60 mph...he doesn't know if they're going to wobble towards him. So if a stranger pulled up next to him, it would make him a bit nervous. One time---at a bike rally, I landed right smack in the middle of a group that was ahead of my group. I have no idea how I did that. But I'm sure it was another brilliant move. For a whole hour, this group kept a wide path away from me...ones up front zoomed ahead, ones behind me lingered behind., one next to me always rode cautiously behind my right side. It was me off. I was thinking--hey guys--just pass me! But they never did. We were in a formation of hundreds of bikers....so I was stuck. We finally get to our destination--and we all pull into this lot and as we're getting off of our bikes, one of those guys says to me, "Hey--have you been riding long?" I said, "Uh...was it that obvious?!!!" And they were all laughing good-naturedly saying, "Uh...yeah..it was. Especially at the turns. You were really nervous at every turn. We noticed that right away...but don't worry about it--just keep practicing! We've all been there. And hey! When we were going straight, you did real good!!" "gee, thanks pal."

See.,..if that gang that surrounded you had surrounded me, I'd be the dork that would give them a big smile and a quick wave.....shouting out to them, "Hey! Nice bike!!" thumbs up. "Good day for a ride, huh?!" LOL
Old 10-11-2007, 12:09 AM   #30
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

when you pulled up to the light, did you line up in the middle of your lane or on the left side?

i know if i pull up behind a bike, and he is in the middle of the lane, i wont pull up beside him. i feel like he is taking the whole lane for himself. but if ive been riding behind him, and at the light he pulls up to one side, i may pull up next and say hi.

however, if i happen to roll up on some group of hundreds of hells angels, id probably pull into a gas station or something for a few and let them get on down the road a ways before i continued...same goes for packs of squid acting like idiots together...
Old 10-11-2007, 12:18 AM   #31
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
when you pulled up to the light, did you line up in the middle of your lane or on the left side?

i know if i pull up behind a bike, and he is in the middle of the lane, i wont pull up beside him. i feel like he is taking the whole lane for himself. but if ive been riding behind him, and at the light he pulls up to one side, i may pull up next and say hi.

however, if i happen to roll up on some group of hundreds of hells angels, id probably pull into a gas station or something for a few and let them get on down the road a ways before i continued...same goes for packs of squid acting like idiots together...
I was actually just left of center, but not all the way left. Enough to clear the oil drippings, and enough for him to squeeze in. He came out of nowhere about a minute after i was stopped. Kinda caught me by surprise actually. It was a long light, the one by the east entrance to Memorial Park.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:38 AM   #32
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
He came out of nowhere about a minute after i was stopped. Kinda caught me by surprise actually. It was a long light, the one by the east entrance to Memorial Park.
[hijack]
Not checking your 6 dude.
[/hijack]
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:55 AM   #33
clint08911

I think its fine if a rider pulls up at a red light, one thing I hate is guys who try to pass you in your own lane! If something is in the road and you have to swerve what do they think will happen?

Clint
clint08911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:44 AM   #34
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFR101 View Post
I actually like it when other riders pull up next to me at lights. It would be another thing if they cut me off when we took off. I like the conversation and the chance to meet other riders. I have met several friends at stop lights in similar situations.
+1
lbjasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:26 AM   #35
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Yea I rarely if never share a lane with a stranger. I however dont mind if someone pulls along side me at a light.

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:27 AM   #36
zampano

Feedback Rating: (1)

Send a message via AIM to zampano
I think its mostly a matter of the old ways dieing out, especially in a big city like this... so many new riders everywhere is one thing, but its also as other were saying, you cant go ANYWHERE and even hope to get away with any racing at all, so pulling up next to someone can't be assumed as a challenge.

Yeah it would kinda make me feel uneasy as well, and maybe its from my experience in sports cars that my instincts told me not to do it to others.... but yeah your response was a little goofy, VOICE your opinion politely if its bothering you, everyone has a little bit of squid in them somewhere, teach them something new.
zampano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #37
Jay
Deleted

Experience: 5 years

i agree with secret agent...... guy was being nice, you were in your own little world, lol........ no big deal , making something out of nothing, weird
Old 10-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #38
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinasDaddy View Post
I figured since your both bikers why not share.....
+1 and he let you take off first
Old 10-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #39
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Did you get a pic of the chopper?
Those things are so Hawt!!

They are the ultimate Punatty Magnet!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #40
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

I've gotten really used to other bikes and cars being close to me on the road. It doesn't bother me at all. Getting nervous and freaking out is going to affect your attention span. Best to just react and forget about it.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement