MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Etiquette: Fellow Rider's "Space"

So today I went out riding, since it was such a beautiful day to take some time off work (it's good to be the Boss!). I was stopped at a red light on Memorial Drive, by the Park, and some guy in a bling custom chopper pulls up to the right of me, IN MY LANE! I can see him looking at me in the corner of my eye. I turn my head right a little bit because it's bothering me. He nods at me (to be friendly, I guess). I just kinda look at him for a few seconds, but I ackowledge the fact that he just nodded at me... and nod back. I look forward, waiting for the green, but it's a loooong light. I could see him again in the corner of my eye that he's checking out my bike. The guy tells me "Nice bike." I contemplate the fact that he just spoke to me. "Did he just say something?" I turned my head back to him and say "Thanks..... ..... ... U2." I turn my head forward again waiting for the green. Light turns green. I wait for him to take off first. He's expecting me to take off first (since I was there first). I turn to him and say "Go ahead." "Nah, that's cool. You go." I say again, looking him straight into his shades "Go ahead" as I motion my head to the left. He takes off, then I follow.

OK, sorry if I was being an a-hole to whoever you were, but you invaded my space, man. But maybe I'm too old-school? This is one of many recent times this has played out. I remember a long time ago, that there's this "unwritten rule" in motorcycling, that you just do not invade a stranger Rider's "space", especially at a light. It's ok if you know the rider, but if you've never seen him before, then you leave him alone. Same goes for groups. The rule stuck to this day. It's good to wave to riders all day, and I do, but this used to be a big no-no (so says the "rule").

Has this 'rule" gone with the wind?
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'School looks like Millennium Falcon from space? "Mere coincidence" or best stealth a ELSpurgeO Off Topic 2 04-21-2012 08:58 AM
Stunt rider copies Steve McQueen's motorcycle jump from "The Great Escape" RojerLockless Off Topic 3 02-16-2009 12:06 PM
Almost a "bring a kawapuke rider to work day today" DOA General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 05-21-2007 01:02 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Had a guy on a ZX6r pull up next to me one day at a light. Cut around all kinds of traffic and swerved in (riding tandem) no less. Which is something I even rarely do with the people I normally ride with. So anyway we both pull off from the light and he decides that its ok to cut in front??? I think its rude. Wait ur turn already! I waited in line forever at the light just to have this SQUID no less with shorts & t-shirt (was surprized he had a helmet) just cut in and make himself at home..

Last edited by Mark06gsxr; 10-10-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
RinasDaddy
When in doubt, restart!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
10 Speed :(

I figured since your both bikers why not share.....
RinasDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
redrocker

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 600

If i do not know them i will not pull up next to them.
redrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Share the space at the light, left side (typically first there) pulls out first and then you are two vehicles on the road once again.

Be nice to bikers! If it weren't a chopper and it was, say, a GSXR or even a Ninja 250, would you have been as upset?
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

i dont think it would bother me depending on how he acted. he said nice bike and seemed polite. ive had people pull next and then when the light turns green they accelerate pretty fast as if they are impressing me or something

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFR101 View Post
I actually like it when other riders pull up next to me at lights. It would be another thing if they cut me off when we took off. I like the conversation and the chance to meet other riders. I have met several friends at stop lights in similar situations.
The thing is, under any other circumstances, like at a parking lot, at a restaurant, or anywhere off the road, I would love to engage in a social interaction with a fellow rider. This is (or maybe it was) an "Unwritten Rule" that all bikers followed, and therefore it was "understood", and respect was given (as odd as that may sound).
Old 10-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
SVmike
nuthin'

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
doesn't bother me unless it's a squid. Normally I don't pull up next to a rider I don't know. Instead I'll just stay back and to the opposite side of the lane he/she is on.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Share the space at the light, left side (typically first there) pulls out first and then you are two vehicles on the road once again.

Be nice to bikers! If it weren't a chopper and it was, say, a GSXR or even a Ninja 250, would you have been as upset?
It's not about being upset, actually. Not of the fact that he was being friendly. It's hard to explain other than it's an "Unwritten Rule", and it used to be that this unwritten rule was simply understood between fellow bikers. so no need to be upset if the other rider ignores you, because as a fellow motorcylist yourself, it's "understood". In fact the mere act of not invading the fellow rider's space was the means by which you showed him respect. I know it's funny, but that's just the way it is (or was).

i wanted to be friendly to him, too. But he broke "The Rule".

Last edited by FlipSideUp; 10-10-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
batman007

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2006 R6S

maybe since you were there first, he was being polite by not passing you, since he came from behind. just my 2 cents
Old 10-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #11
Squidly

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290

I stop behind em, if they want to wave me up next to em at the light then i will pull up. Dont mind if someone pulls up next to me just dont be a dumb a** when the light changes an do something stupid.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman007 View Post
maybe since you were there first, he was being polite by not passing you, since he came from behind. just my 2 cents
Yeah, i know. But the problem is that I don't know him, his riding habits, what he's gonna do when I start to take off... is he gonna lay down the throttle just to blow me away as I'm taking off. Too many unknowns, and that's why it's an unwritten rule.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #13
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Didn't they teach us to sit at lights in the same lane in the MSF course?
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:05 PM   #14
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Didn't they teach us to sit at lights in the same lane in the MSF course?
Yeah, but this is about a "stranger", not a riding buddy that you know and trust. He may be in a bad mood, too!

BTW, I was in a good mood, and he didn't ruin it. I just knew that this was not allowed, so i had to play it out. He was a friendly guy, but I had to let him know (in my subtle way), that what he did was "Not good, buddy. Not good".
Old 10-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #15
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVmike View Post
doesn't bother me unless it's a squid. Normally I don't pull up next to a rider I don't know. Instead I'll just stay back and to the opposite side of the lane he/she is on.
Me to, and some times when I do the rider will look back and signal me to pull up then I will and yeah its cool to chat sometimes then I pin the throttle and go from 0-60 in 2.5 sec...... smoking the tire and I kid I kid..... yeah i respect bikers space unless I am passing them in the HOV lane
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #16
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

dunno about any unwritten 'rule' at lights... to me it's a tad different when your stopped, vs going down the road.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #17
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

dont bother me one way or the other, but when I take off from the light I let them go first being I dont know how they ride..
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #18
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
i think you were out of line. there is no "unwritten law" concerning that at all. he was polite, and followed procedure when he waited for you to take off first. you were just being an following some "law" that only you know of.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #19
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

I've only been riding a month, so I don't know about the "rule," but from what you say, he seemed friendly and wasn't trying to blow through the light. Seems like a good way to meet other bikers. If you are worried about his riding abilities or quick starts, always let the other rider go first. I'm not fast enough to get off the line before anyone else, and some of the "Hints and Tips" I've read suggest that this is a bad practice anyway.

You should have had your MH sticker on your bike so he could have looked us up. Or maybe you do have your sticker on your bike and he recognized you as a fellow MH'r?

I think cruisers get a raw deal from sport bikes riders - though it doesn't sound like that was really what is bugging you. I'm still pretty timid around sport bikes because they seem like speed machines to me. I love the low slung look and feel of a cruiser, but Guitar Man rides a sport bike and I can appreciate them for their fast lines, cool graphics and areodynamic design. I guess we make an odd pair, but I'm always waving and smiling and even inviting people to talk to me while I'm out.

So, I think it may have been a rule, but being new to riding I've never heard it and now I have to worry about offending someone just for pulling up next to them. Sigh... Can't we all just be friends?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #20
Warpbender
warped and bent

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'07 Yammy FZ1 "the faster blue one"
'04 DR650se (sold)

Member Garage

33 yrs. riding and still learning..... the rules

Life is too short not to ride nekkid!