MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #41
iRIDEsolo
fast life

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Hayabusa

Send a message via AIM to iRIDEsolo
yah.. I see it as this.. A bike is a bike. Whether is a 1300 busa or 250 ninja..

On a ninja, you will go fast just because it will go fast, But i myself am quite afraid of being splattered on the floor, or being ran over. So im not going to go fast..
iRIDEsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suzuki Katana 750 -2005 grsa General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 01-31-2011 02:50 AM
2001 Katana 750 RIPITUP How To's and Q & A's 2 04-07-2009 09:47 PM
Suzuki Katana 750- No electrical power help PAA General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 03-19-2009 01:07 PM
katana 750 cinco de mayo General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 12-01-2008 08:22 AM
i need comments of buying a katana ekafgsr General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 12-14-2005 03:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #42
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
easy to say so hard to do. if i had a bike when i was 20ish i'd be dead. 100 is 2nd gear. only 4 more gears to go!
very true

if i still rode my bike on the street.....i'd probably be dead also. which is why if i ever decide to get back on the street.....i have to know that i'll have 110% self control and minimize my risk of being killed by this evil sport we all enjoy

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #43
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
seriously, we all preach about getting a 250 or whatever to start off.....but i'm betting 95% of the people preaching started out on a 600+.....and then probably 60% of those wish they would've started out on a 250 or the likes.

most everyone is just trying to teach you through bad experiences they may have had....others are just joining the mob.
Heck I started out on a 125 D/S. :-)

IRS... 22 years, legal street exp. Less than a month ago, had to dodge a truck that was paying attention to the wrong set of lights. Took the bike
over the curb, onto the median... kept it upright, np. Had to replace both rims.. 1k out of my pocket, just under 800 from ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRIDEsolo View Post
yah.. I see it as this.. A bike is a bike. Whether is a 1300 busa or 250 ninja..
On a ninja, you will go fast just because it will go fast, But i myself am quite afraid of being splattered on the floor, or being ran over. So im not going to go fast..
No, there's BIG differences between a 250 ninja and a 1300cc Hayabusa...
The only real similarities, they run on gas, have seats, 2 tires and operate around the same physics...
Old 10-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #44
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:

actually i'm gonna have to join the mob on this one......

a busa is nothing compared to a 250 ninja.....there is no forgiveness on the throttle of a busa.

okay, since i'm joining the mob.......i would suggest getting maybe a zzr600 (the newer version of the 00-03'? zx6r), or a sv650 or the likes. they are stylish modernday sportbikes....has plenty of power, and is still more forgiving then a newer 600cc inline 4.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #45
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Quote:
most people are really blunt with some of their comments. don't take it personal, i've been bashed a few times when i first signed up to MH also...it's like getting bashed into the gang

seriously, we all preach about getting a 250 or whatever to start off.....but i'm betting 95% of the people preaching started out on a 600+.....and then probably 60% of those wish they would've started out on a 250 or the likes.

most everyone is just trying to teach you through bad experiences they may have had....others are just joining the mob.
IM a 95%er. and guess what Im thinking about picking up the new kawi 250 that coming out.

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #46
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
okay, since i'm joining the mob.......i would suggest getting maybe a zzr600 (the newer version of the 00-03'? zx6r), or a sv650 or the likes. they are stylish modernday sportbikes....has plenty of power, and is still more forgiving then a newer 600cc inline 4.
the ZZR was Kaw. top race bike till '02 when the 636 came out, so it's not ANY diff. and we've owned 1. and it's not forgiving in any sense. gotta love marketing.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #47
iRIDEsolo
fast life

Bike(s):
Hayabusa

^^

yah.. but meaning you can kill yourself on either
Old 10-08-2007, 11:40 AM   #48
iRIDEsolo
fast life

Bike(s):
Hayabusa

i like the new ninja's coming out tho..

and i rode a zzr600. quite a nice bike. just a bit heavy
Old 10-08-2007, 11:44 AM   #49
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
i like the new ninja's coming out tho..

and i rode a zzr600. quite a nice bike. just a bit heavy
it's a bit heavier, carburated bike, and lags a bit compared to the modern day fuel injected bikes.......which is why i think it's more forgiving. i've owned a 2001 zx6r back in the days.....and honestly, it was still a fast bike, but i still believe it's more forgiving than the bikes that are available now.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #50
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
IM a 95%er. and guess what Im thinking about picking up the new kawi 250 that coming out.
me too

me and a few buddies might possibly race the new 250r next year.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #51
iRIDEsolo
fast life

Bike(s):
Hayabusa

is the Katana and zzr600 about the same weight? or kant weight a lil more?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #52
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
you don't want to hear it, but these guys are right. start small. learn the basics. riding a motorcycle isn't anything like driving a car. it's not just a matter of self control, it's knowing what to do when there's not any time to think about it.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #53
iRIDEsolo
fast life

Bike(s):
Hayabusa

Oh no, i am taking their advice, but id rather learn on a bike i will keep forever. I dont want to get a 250 and then learn all over again on a 600. Different shift points and ect. Id prefer to learn on somethign i am going to keep for my whole bike riding life
Old 10-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #54
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

there is no 1 bike that goes from beginner to "advanced" status. the SV is the closest. but is still a marginal beginner bike.

resale on begineer bike is great, we lost $100 after 1.5yrs and 4000mi. so there's your downpayment for your "dream" bike.

shift point is a shift point, all you do is hold the throttle longer. bikes turn the same. and braking, well SS bikes have no forgivness. where's beginner bikes do.

this is your 1st bike, not your last.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #55
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
that is exactly the WRONG way to do it. you won't have to "relearn" how to ride every time you get a new bike. you will actually learn faster on a slower bike. it will have lower limits, that are more accessible to a new rider. you won't be so scared of what the bike can do. trust me. that is NOT the way to becoming a good rider.

put your ego aside and get a 250 or 500. riders who know wtf they're talking about, will respect you for that. who gives a about image, because when you're riding, no one cares about what your bike looks like, just the way you ride it.

stop making excuses, we've heard them all a thousand times before you. there's NO good reason to start with an SS bike over a starter bike. NONE.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #56
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

all your "arguments" are answered in this thread.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2576

thats how common this issue us. we've made a sticky about it.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 10-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #57
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Oh no, i am taking their advice, but id rather learn on a bike i will keep forever. I dont want to get a 250 and then learn all over again on a 600. Different shift points and ect. Id prefer to learn on somethign i am going to keep for my whole bike riding life
No offense but sounds like your"riding life" will be short lived. Get something you can learn on and then flip. Your first bike will not be your last bike thats for sure unless you scare/kill yourself.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #58
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
wtf. a 600ss and 250 is still a bike.. People die on freakin mopeds.. just because its a bigger CC doesnt mean its going to kill you faster. fall off of either bike doing 80- and its over.

its all about self control, and how much you wanna push it. the bike isnt what kills you, its yourself
With all due respect, there's alot you do not understand. Any new rider can start out on any size bike if we went by your arguement. Just because one rider was fine starting out on a 100+ HP bike, doesn't mean he wasn't lucky to make it out alive as an experienced rider. There are so many other conditions you will come across as a new rider that may catch you off guard, and if you're not conditioned in throttle control, brake control, bike control... the larger, high performance bikes can take off from under you. You can develop your overall riding technique better on a smaller bike, than a larger one. It's just common sense, whether it be motorcycles, or any other motorsport... or any othe sport or task in life for that matter. If you insist on starting on a 600 rocket, then you'll do what you do. But just be aware that you just reduced your odds significantly, in the long run, as a well trained motorcyclist. Yeah, you can ride it slow, but that may not be what kills you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
a 600 takes all of 3 sec. to hit 80, and 250 about 6 sec, 2x as long. 80mph is 2d gr on a 600, 3rd or 4th on a 250.

a 250 is faster then your car. and yes people die everyday on bikes. learning properly will save you alot of pain.
Quote:
thats fine Racer X..

I explained im not going to stunt the bike, or hawl . Ive seen aftermaths of someone doing stupid on a bike.. And its not pretty..
Seen a few people splattered on the ground, and everytime it was their fault due to not controlling their innerself.
Again, that's not the issue. You can develop and train better, focus on safety and gaining experience, develop throttle control & clutch control, develop your overall senses to the experience of motorcycling, etc. etc, on a 250, than on a 100 hp made for speed sportbike.

Quote:

A bike is indeed a bike, but it's the rider's experience (or lack there of) that dictates his chances of survival on the streets. You'd better have a Guardian Angel or two, riding with you, if you decide to start off on a 1300 Busa.

Quote:
^^

yah.. but meaning you can kill yourself on either
It's all about experience. Everything else is a direct consequence of what decisions you make relative to your own level of experience. You're gonna hear alot "Just respect the bike" type comments from those who steer you to a 600 Class (or larger) racer replica type sportbike. That, IMHO, is not good advise. Good advise would be to "Just respect your level of experience".

You may do well starting off on a superfine 600 sportbike, like many others, and go on to being a very competant motorcyclist. You still increase your risks up front, and many years from now you'll think back and start sounding like me.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #59
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
If you're so worried about the looks, and are actually listening to everyones advice, then get a new 250, that thing looks fkn NICE. Keep it for a year or so, put as many miles on it as you can, and sell it. You'll lose more money than buying the 'outdated' looking one, but it'll fit more into your image of the bike you want.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #60
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Get something you can learn on and then flip.
+1 to this. since you said you will still be learning, would you rather mess up on a cheaper $2-3K bike or mess up on a brand new/newish $6K and up bike? and insurance on a bigger bike is ridiculous...

i started out on a suzuki gs500. it may have only been 100cc's less than the gsxr6 but the difference was huge as far as performance. i think i would have hurt myself if the 600 was my first bike. a good looking bike doesn't look so good if it's rashed up. just my opinion.

Advertisement