MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Do you cover your front brakes when you ride?
1) Yes, I cover the front brakes. I think it's safer this way. 56 57.73%
2) No, I do not cover the front brakes. I think it's safer this way. 41 42.27%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 12:00 AM   #41
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
By habit, I clutch in to downshift fast simultaneously with the brakes. And I agree with you that if they're gonna grab too much brake, that's simply inexperience whether you have 2 fingers or 4 fingers on the brakes, and whether you cover them or not. I get a better sense of overall control of the bike when I have 2 fingers modulating the front brakes, and the other 2 modulating the throttle.

BTW, alluding to Racer X's comment, maybe Rossi uses 4 fingers, but I guarantee that many other GP and Amateur Racers do not.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
John Roberts reluctantly reveals Ron Paul's results of the SC debate twitter poll. da1hobo The Circus 21 01-18-2012 09:48 PM
Front brakes pooh73 How To's and Q & A's 4 12-18-2010 09:39 PM
Covering your front brakes and clutch logan5 Taking it to the Track 9 08-10-2009 01:30 PM
no front brakes ar1300 How To's and Q & A's 15 06-24-2008 10:30 PM
covering the front brake mid corner SBK Pilot Taking it to the Track 115 05-23-2008 09:09 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2007, 12:08 AM   #42
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Speaking of how many fingers, I asked once on another board how many fingers folks use to cover their brakes. Most said only one or two fingers. It really depended on what kind of brake they have. If it was after-market brakes, and there were a lot of racers/trackday riders replying to my post, then only one/two fingers usually or, as stated, they may brake too hard due to the excellent quality of their brakes.

Personally, being mostly a commuter, I cover my brakes in traffic as well as the clutch. On SMRs, not so much. I usually use two-three fingers, but I don't have Brembo brakes either.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:33 AM   #43
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I like to see them using 4 fingers
Old 10-08-2007, 05:29 AM   #44
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
i still don't see why someone would grab the clutch before they brake. imo, if they're gonna grab too much ft. brakes.....they're gonna do it anyways. i also think engine brake could help as well........but what do i know. :dontknow:
becuase then you can concentrate 100% of your thought on braking vs 90% and 10% engine braking, it changes the balance of the bike.

Rossi and other pro's don't use 4 fingers all the time. but this ain't the first time this topic has come up and often times people will argue that their brakes are more then adaquate, well so are Rossi's and he still uses 4 (sometimes)
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:57 AM   #45
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

I vote no, not bc I think it is safer, but because its just how I ride. granted when I started riding I covered it a lot because I came from motocross to street and in motocross I had 1 finger on the brake and clutch all the time, now I hold the clip ons and just grab the levers when I need them
Old 10-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #46
Mic

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Send a message via AIM to Mic Send a message via MSN to Mic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
By habit, I clutch in to downshift fast simultaneously with the brakes.... I get a better sense of overall control of the bike when I have 2 fingers modulating the front brakes, and the other 2 modulating the throttle.
Ditto. 4 fingers on the clutch, 2 brake & 2 throttle. I only cover them when I'm in traffic though. Out in the country on an easy cruise where I can see anything coming my way, I don't cover. It's more comfortable for me to have my whole hand on the throttle when I'm riding for hours.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:00 PM   #47
ysr612

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

I always tell students it is up to them on when to cover the brakes. I also point out that it is not a good idea to cover the brake until you have had enough time on the bike to know just how much pressure to use.

I take pictures at the races and if you look the lap before on a crash picture of a yellow plate they are the ones covering the brakes.

Ps I cover the brakes when I race and remove my fingers as I lean the bike into the turn unless I am going slower then I think I could because of traffic.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #48
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

I cover the brakes all the time. the only times i won't is on the freeway after a long ride and there is no traffic and i'm just resting my hand.

I don't cover the clutch, i figure i need to put all my concentration on the braking and steering of the bike in an emergency situation.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:22 PM   #49
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

I usually rest my pointer finger on the brake lever, and have my right foot hovering over the pedal. I find that I can use my finger to help 'twist' the throttle so I can loosen up my grip on the bar of my hand is getting tired.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #50
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wever411 View Post
I cover the brakes all the time. the only times i won't is on the freeway after a long ride and there is no traffic and i'm just resting my hand.

I don't cover the clutch, i figure i need to put all my concentration on the braking and steering of the bike in an emergency situation.
if you emergancy brake w/o using the clutch, engine braking will effect your braking outcome. you'll then have to concentrate on how much engine and how much brake, you'll also be in the wrong gear at stop. if you squeeze the clutch in , you can 100% concentrate on braking. your yrs of honed instincts will have you downshifting as you go slower.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 10-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #51
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84 View Post
I usually rest my pointer finger on the brake lever, and have my right foot hovering over the pedal. I find that I can use my finger to help 'twist' the throttle so I can loosen up my grip on the bar of my hand is getting tired.
why do you want to cover the rear so much?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 10-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #52
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
if you emergancy brake w/o using the clutch, engine braking will effect your braking outcome. you'll then have to concentrate on how much engine and how much brake, you'll also be in the wrong gear at stop. if you squeeze the clutch in , you can 100% concentrate on braking. your yrs of honed instincts will have you downshifting as you go slower.
please explain further. won't engine braking help me slow down if i roll off the throttle? i know when i just squeeze the clutch in, the bike will be free wheeling and i actually feel a little acceleration. i understand that i'll eventually have to downshift to get into the right gear. but if its an emergency situation and i downshift too much then accidentally release the clutch without blipping the throttle, i could possibly lock up the rear tire right?? i guess different situations call for different actions (ie stop completely vs slow down a lot then accelerate again to avoid something else).
Old 10-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #53
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

In traffic I usually cover both brakes.

Usually cover the front brake no matter what.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #54
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

wever............it will, think milleseconds coming to an emergancy stop w/ a car in your path at XX mph.

you want to KISS (keep it simple stupid) if you have to worry about not stalling the engine or over-reving the engine all the same time MAX braking so as to not hit the car. thats alot of info.

whereas you squeeze the clutch in, you can concentrate on braking. PERIOD.

try it. visualize a marker on the ground. get to speed. now stop as short as you can doing both and see what happens.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 10-08-2007, 02:34 PM   #55
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
wever............it will, think milleseconds coming to an emergancy stop w/ a car in your path at XX mph.

you want to KISS (keep it simple stupid)
if you have to worry about not stalling the engine or over-reving the engine all the same time MAX braking so as to not hit the car. thats alot of info.

whereas you squeeze the clutch in, you can concentrate on braking. PERIOD.

try it. visualize a marker on the ground. get to speed. now stop as short as you can doing both and see what happens.
well, that's why i said concentrate on braking and steering. i guess you threw me off with the downshifting part. in those few milliseconds, i don't think i'd have time to even think about getting into the right gear.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #56
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold