MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Do you cover your front brakes when you ride?
1) Yes, I cover the front brakes. I think it's safer this way. 56 57.73%
2) No, I do not cover the front brakes. I think it's safer this way. 41 42.27%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #21
ONIMOLAP.R
LUCKY
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: humble,tx
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 66

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
gsxr1000 (orange/blk)









i think ur right it also depends on tha situation.
ONIMOLAP.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
John Roberts reluctantly reveals Ron Paul's results of the SC debate twitter poll. da1hobo The Circus 21 01-18-2012 09:48 PM
Front brakes pooh73 How To's and Q & A's 4 12-18-2010 09:39 PM
Covering your front brakes and clutch logan5 Taking it to the Track 9 08-10-2009 01:30 PM
no front brakes ar1300 How To's and Q & A's 15 06-24-2008 10:30 PM
covering the front brake mid corner SBK Pilot Taking it to the Track 115 05-23-2008 09:09 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2007, 01:53 AM   #22
shortys217
Weekend Rider
 
shortys217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 127

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 Honda CBR600RR White (sold)
07 Honda CBR600RR Black
2007 Harley Street Glide







Send a message via AIM to shortys217
I cover the clutch with first 2 fingers if theres traffic and i always have atleast one finger on the front brake just to be on the same side expecually through subdivisions.
__________________
shortys217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:35 AM   #23
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide
 
CaligoneTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Valhalla
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 21,558

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)






Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
If anxious or find caution for it, I cover brakes...

Always use four fingers, most bikes have adjustable grips to fit your hand, I like the control of all four fingers
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:02 AM   #24
Japawhat02
02 Tona
 
Japawhat02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: P-land
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,969

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona









I always cover the the front brakes always, reduces reaction time. never know when a dog or rabbit or flying trashcan will jump out in front of you
__________________
2002 Brittish Rocket
Japawhat02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #25
CLETUS
Jungle Racing
 
CLETUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,275












Personally, I ride in a lower gear so if I am in traffic, I just close the throttle and use engine braking for the most part. If I need to slow faster, I use a little front and rear brake together.
I don't cover the clutch like instructed during MSF unless I am in line for a red light and I need a little engine to move forward or there is sand or dirt on the road.
__________________
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window!
CLETUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:19 AM   #26
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member
 
XRCajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Side
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,189

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)









I cover front brake and clutch with two fingers in traffic and not on open road.
XRCajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #27
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis
 
Zapata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Katy/Conroe
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 2,626

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge
'06 HD StreetRod VRSCR


Member Garage


Interesting subject..!!!

I have a lot of trouble riding and covering the front brake, at slow speeds is OK but my hand hurts if I do it for a long a time. At normal speeds I try to keep the front cover but have trouble while rolling he gas at the same time. Any pointers? What I'm doing wrong?

I always use both brakes when I need to stop.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #28
Radar
Senior Member
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,046


Bike(s):
CBR1000RR









Poll obviously should have had a 3rd choice 3) some of the time - when I feel it's necessary or prudent.
I did not vote, because neither answer is what I do. Seems like most respondents agree.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #29
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide
 
CaligoneTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Valhalla
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 21,558

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)






Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Poll obviously should have had a 3rd choice 3) some of the time - when I feel it's necessary or prudent.
I did not vote, because neither answer is what I do. Seems like most respondents agree.
Its more of a precondition; like asking what type of equipment you put on before you wreck...

Some people cover out of comfort, experience, etc... Others engine brake, hug the center more... I find myself sometimes being an a$$ to the cars/trucks that wanted to blast by me so I hug their side of the lane when coming to a stop... When i get hit I'll think twice about doing it again
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #30
1badzx12r
SHREK
 
1badzx12r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: san leon(close to kemah)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 338

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2001 joker custom









Quote:
Originally Posted by CLETUS View Post
Personally, I ride in a lower gear so if I am in traffic, I just close the throttle and use engine braking for the most part. If I need to slow faster, I use a little front and rear brake together.
I don't cover the clutch like instructed during MSF unless I am in line for a red light and I need a little engine to move forward or there is sand or dirt on the road.
__________________
The problem with the gene pool is there is no lifegaurd.

Its peanut butter jelly time!!!
1badzx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #31
therky42
Senior Member
 
therky42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,636


Bike(s):
2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250









I cover it most of the time, especially in traffic but like said before just depends
__________________
:topsecret
therky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #32
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid
 
FlipSideUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston - Memorial
Feedback Rating: (13)
Posts: 4,605

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)






Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Poll obviously should have had a 3rd choice 3) some of the time - when I feel it's necessary or prudent.
I did not vote, because neither answer is what I do. Seems like most respondents agree.
If by habit, you cover some of the time, then you cover the brakes.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #33
pester
Black olives matter
 
pester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montgomery cty
Feedback Rating: (12)
Posts: 15,317

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard



Member Garage





i never cover it , i have had close calls before but im quick on applying it

im just ready for it, and as racer x said, many ppl cover the front brake and are too quick to squeeze it,
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Technology has insulated the stupid from the rightful consequences of their actions - and exposed the rest of us to the damage they can cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #34
pester
Black olives matter
 
pester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montgomery cty
Feedback Rating: (12)
Posts: 15,317

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard



Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badzx12r View Post
I agree that new riders may overreact but i still think that grabbing the clutch first is a waste of reaction time,seems like more emphasis should be put on brake balance and control(if you use the front,use the back just the same) and for new riders they should adjust the brake lever for more travel that would also give them a second of thought imo

yeah i always use both, now depends on the speed is how bad i squeeze em

but yeah both at the same time, no lock up, and no flip up

when i have to brake hard i never think on clutch first, what i want is to stop,
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Technology has insulated the stupid from the rightful consequences of their actions - and exposed the rest of us to the damage they can cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:18 PM   #35
Radar
Senior Member
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,046


Bike(s):
CBR1000RR









Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
If by habit, you cover some of the time, then you cover the brakes.
Poll says: YES - I cover the front brakes - or - NO - I don't cover the front brakes. When you are covering them you are covering them, when you aren't you aren't - you can do both on any given ride. To me that would be the 3rd choice - some of the time. Everyone covers them to some degree - is putting you fingers on the levers 2 seconds before you use them covering them? or does it have to be 2 minutes before to be considered covering, or is it All the time you are riding to be considered covering them. I don't think anyone gets on a Goldwing - sets the cruise and heads out on I-10 to Fort Stockton and leaves their fingers on the brake lever the whole trip - on the other hand I think any rider with any experience whatsoever covers the brakes when approaching a busy intersection in city traffic with cars on both sides slowly rolling as though they are about to go.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #36
Radar
Senior Member
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,046


Bike(s):
CBR1000RR









Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
I cover front brake and clutch with two fingers in traffic and not on open road.
Here's a good example
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:59 PM   #37
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid
 
FlipSideUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston - Memorial
Feedback Rating: (13)
Posts: 4,605

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)






Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Poll says: YES - I cover the front brakes - or - NO - I don't cover the front brakes. When you are covering them you are covering them, when you aren't you aren't - you can do both on any given ride. To me that would be the 3rd choice - some of the time. Everyone covers them to some degree - is putting you fingers on the levers 2 seconds before you use them covering them? or does it have to be 2 minutes before to be considered covering, or is it All the time you are riding to be considered covering them. I don't think anyone gets on a Goldwing - sets the cruise and heads out on I-10 to Fort Stockton and leaves their fingers on the brake lever the whole trip - on the other hand I think any rider with any experience whatsoever covers the brakes when approaching a busy intersection in city traffic with cars on both sides slowly rolling as though they are about to go.
R U serious? Alright, whatever. I'm not gonna argue.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:36 PM   #38
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts
 
houseofpaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 9,486

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker


Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i still don't see why someone would grab the clutch before they brake. imo, if they're gonna grab too much ft. brakes.....they're gonna do it anyways. i also think engine brake could help as well........but what do i know. :dontknow:
__________________
www.facebook.com/HouseOfPaintDesigns
Follow us on Instagram @hopdesigns

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #39
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts
 
houseofpaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 9,486

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker


Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapata View Post
Interesting subject..!!!

I have a lot of trouble riding and covering the front brake, at slow speeds is OK but my hand hurts if I do it for a long a time. At normal speeds I try to keep the front cover but have trouble while rolling he gas at the same time. Any pointers? What I'm doing wrong?

I always use both brakes when I need to stop.
when rolling on the gas, your hand shifts back, so adjust once you've throttled enough. or you can position your hand further down, so that when you grab throttle, your fingers still cover the ft. brakes.

adjust your brake lever, so that your hands don't hurt as much. you'll get used to it if you keep doing it. it'll become second nature.
__________________
www.facebook.com/HouseOfPaintDesigns
Follow us on Instagram @hopdesigns

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #40
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid
 
FlipSideUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston - Memorial
Feedback Rating: (13)
Posts: 4,605

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)






Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
i still don't see why someone would grab the clutch before they brake. imo, if they're gonna grab too much ft. brakes.....they're gonna do it anyways. i also think engine brake could help as well........but what do i know. :dontknow:
By habit, I clutch in to downshift fast simultaneously with the brakes. And I agree with you that if they're gonna grab too much brake, that's simply inexperience whether you have 2 fingers or 4 fingers on the brakes, and whether you cover them or not. I get a better sense of overall control of the bike when I have 2 fingers modulating the front brakes, and the other 2 modulating the throttle.

BTW, alluding to Racer X's comment, maybe Rossi uses 4 fingers, but I guarantee that many other GP and Amateur Racers do not.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy